View Poll Results: Should MyTether be allowed to call itself "donationware"?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 16.02%
  • No

145 80.11%
  • Unsure

7 3.87%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ok, so I've already seen the debate on precentral.net in the comments about the new MyTether update. Everyone seems to be in a heated debate about whether or not MyTether is truly "donationware", I want to see the actual numbers here and not just a bunch of flaming back and forth (although I think it's inevitable...)

Here is wikipedia's definition of "donationware":
    Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and pleads for an optional donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) and payment is optional, it is a type of freeware.
    What do you guys think???
    Last edited by mfive; 02/10/2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: fixed title...
    i dont think it should be donationware bc mytether now uses the service that webOS has built in now
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if someone is afraid to voice their opinion, or just thought it would be funny to tag this post improperly, but it DOES matter what you call your software and under what conditions you distribute it as.

It has a huge impact (at least I think) as to the legitimacy of our homebrew scene and to what the general public feels about the developers (including myself) that are working so hard to make this platform and operating system the best of its kind. If a developer sells an app under the conditions that it represents a model of something it's not, then how can one expect to maintain any level of credibility?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I completely respect that, but it's pretty childish to just tag this post and not take part in the discussion. IMO, you're only compounding the problem (if there is one...)
    Last edited by mfive; 02/10/2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    If you HAVE to pay to play it is 'for sale' just like Windows 7, Quicken, or a million other apps. If you can play and decide if you want to pay (and how much) it is donation-ware.

That's my dfn. anyway. And theirs, too: WordNet Search - 3.0
  5. pfd
    By definition, a donation is optional. If you MUST pay to receive something it’s a purchase. It's perfectly clear.

Palm knows what is really going on, that is why they are coming down on him (through PayPal right now from what I have read). Unfortunately, it may only be a matter of time before Palm tightens up the reigns and imposes more restrictions on all of our wonderful WebOS developers (because of this). I have donated freely when I have liked and used free apps (and even patches).

I wouldn't mind having a tether app, but refuse to pay a "mandatory donation", with no recourse through the proper channels (like we have with a paid app from the catalog). I guess I'm mainly stuck on the principle of it. My opinion, my choice

I wish the developer the best, and with his obvious talents, hope he creates some other apps that can be of use to the masses (paid or otherwise)
    I agree, it is not a donation if you are forced to pay for it.
    Any time you have to pay to install it's not in any way a donation. He should be reporting every penny to the IRS and if he's not then he 's risking a visit...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

he should call it a paid version, and a free version, not donationware.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Seems like a good way to get around paying income taxes.
    if you force payment it's not a donation. There should be no debate about this, but of course there will be. I don't tether so it matters not personally if it's a paid app or donationware, I do however think you should call it what it is.
    While I feel MyTether is not donation-ware I also think the developer has the right to call it whatever he wants....even if it's a blatant lie.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I have it and use it very happily. I also PAID for it and did not donate anything.
    I don't even think he can legitimately ask for any money for if he stole code from Palm through using the Mobile Hotspot service.

If he is stealing from Palm by using their code and his app is clearly stealing bandwidth from Sprint. Those things alone are bad, but by trying to make money off this questionable scheme is unconscionable. I've been reprimanded by copying one line of code from WebOS for a patch from a developer once. Any developer supporting this kind of theft with intent to profit in my mind is a hypocrite.

In the past these kind of apps were free, going way back to the Treo and the tether patch. And there's a reason for that. You can't in good conscious create an app that steals and charge for it, bottom line. If Sprint was looking the other way about free tether apps then something like this will force them to stop looking away and come down hard on all tether applications which will ruin it for all of us.

He is wrong, it's shady and when Sprint and Palm come down on on this practice, all of you that supported him can remember this warning.
    Tax evasion?
    An illegal practice where a person, organization or corporation intentionally avoids paying his/her/its true tax liability. Those caught evading taxes are generally subject to criminal charges and substantial penalties.
    i find this software invaluable. i do not regret giving myTether.net money. i can't see how this could not be considered a sale. i saw something i needed. i paid to have access to the place where i could get it. and i got it. i paid for this app. i did not donate freely like i did to preware. preware is available to anyone, and payment is optional. this is not the case for mytether. i hope that all this attention will not be the end of myTether.

to all you hatin' developers,

if myTether goes under, i expect one of you to come up with another tethering app. in fact, i don't understand why there's not already at least one in the Preware catalog.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcloud_utk View Post
    i find this software invaluable. i do not regret giving myTether.net money. i can't see how this could not be considered a sale. it was basically a sale. i saw something i needed. i paid to have access to the place where i could get it. and i got it. i paid for this app. i did not donate freely like i did to preware. preware is available to anyone, and payment is optional. they don't guarantee the software, or have a terms of service. this is not the case for mytether. i hope that all this attention will not be the end of myTether.

to all you hatin' developers,

if myTether goes under, i expect one of you to come up with another tethering app.
    There already is a tethering app called FreeTether does not do wifi, but from my understanding was created as a proof of concept. So if the dev decided to jump in with both feet it could be just as functional as my tether
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcloud_utk View Post
    if myTether goes under, i expect one of you to come up with another tethering app. in fact, i don't understand why there's not already at least one in the Preware catalog.
    WebOS Internals has a good relationship with Sprint, in my opinion. Maybe they don't want to tarnish that relationship by providing apps that violate Sprint's policies.

As far as other carriers, I don't have enough info to comment on that.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron91RS View Post
    As has been pointed out in the past it reuses open licensing illegaly.
    In the past it's been the cause of more problems on the pre then any other program because of where it installs.
    The new version is just a stealing of freetether with some pretty add-ons.
    You can't get it unless you pay so it's not donationware.
    Support is totally lacking.

But hey maybe I am wrong. If it's dontationware then why can't we all post links to the download on here? How about if you bought it just uploading the whole installer for free on here? I mean it's dontationware after all what can they say.
    I give it time, it will be available via torrent just like 2.0.4 was...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    WebOS Internals has a good relationship with Sprint, in my opinion. Maybe they don't want to tarnish that relationship by providing apps that violate Sprint's policies.

As far as other carriers, I don't have enough info to comment on that.
    I'm not sure where you're going with this? webOS Internals helped aonic to adjust myTether specifically to allow it into Preware and conform to webOS Internals standards. Does this mean that webOS Internals stands behind myTether and condones it...? That's not for me to decipher.

I am in no way against tethering. I think it's wrong for Sprint to charge me for unlimited data, and then restrict the way I use it... That, to me, is like buying a car, but saying I can't drive over 35mph in it... I support myTether, have PAID for it (not donated), and appreciate and respect aonic's development efforts. However, I do not take kindly to the illegitimacy of the purchasing model he distributes his app under.
    Last edited by mfive; 02/11/2010 at 08:09 PM.
    What do we mean by "allowed"? As if anyone here has any authority at all? The author can call it whatever he wants. I call it "pretty darn cool" -- do we need a poll for that?

Rob
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast