View Poll Results: Should MyTether be allowed to call itself "donationware"?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 16.02%
  • No

    145 80.11%
  • Unsure

    7 3.87%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. kjb
    kjb is offline
    kjb's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    #41  
    It amazes me that you whine about giving money to someone that can program better than you. I have neither the time nor the inclination to get involved in writing apps on another platform. I am happy to make a small donation to access his forum to get a BETTER version than the free one. It is done all the time. His program, his rules. This is so grade school! Grow UP!
  2. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    To address #1) By helping aonic use "best practices for correct installation and safe removal" according to webOS Internals (which stands behind Preware and is their preferred install/removal tool for Homebrewed apps), then you are helping myTether to be maintained through Preware... I'm sorry for using the word "in" when referring to Preware. That's not the issue at hand here, and quite honestly is irrelevant to the basis behind this post.
    It may be irrelevant, but you're still putting words in Rod's mouth. If I give a crack dealer directions to the local elementary school, that doesn't mean I'm selling the kids crack. I just didn't want dude to be lost, that's all. Rod just doesn't want MyTether to break anything else anymore. Anything else beyond that is an assumption, and as the saying goes, when you assume, you make an a*s of "u" and "me"...

    And your poll should have an "Who cares" option. "Not sure" doesn't cover my (or a few other people's) feelings on the matter. I believe someone already mentioned this, but he can call it whatever he wants. I could be wrong, but nobody's going to be able to force him to change the donationware status of his software because of a Wikipedia definition. If Palm or Sprint go after him, it's not because it's called donationware. And I'm guessing aonic is not shutting down torrents or chasing after people giving the installer away. I'm pretty sure the real reason it's called donationware is because he's not supporting it 100%. If he decides to call it quits, then you technically didn't buy anything, so you probably shouldn't expect support. Just my 2 cents...
  3. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    It amazes me that you whine about giving money to someone that can program better than you. I have neither the time nor the inclination to get involved in writing apps on another platform. I am happy to make a small donation to access his forum to get a BETTER version than the free one. It is done all the time. His program, his rules. This is so grade school! Grow UP!
    This has nothing to do with my programming skills. You're completely missing the point. Is this thread over your head???

    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    It may be irrelevant, but you're still putting words in Rod's mouth. If I give a crack dealer directions to the local elementary school, that doesn't mean I'm selling the kids crack. I just didn't want dude to be lost, that's all. Rod just doesn't want MyTether to break anything else anymore. Anything else beyond that is an assumption, and as the saying goes, when you assume, you make an a*s of "u" and "me"...
    False. Haven't you ever heard of complicity? And, that has nothing to do with this thread. Not even the same ballpark.

    And your poll should have an "Who cares" option. "Not sure" doesn't cover my (or a few other people's) feelings on the matter. I believe someone already mentioned this, but he can call it whatever he wants. I could be wrong, but nobody's going to be able to force him to change the donationware status of his software because of a Wikipedia definition. If Palm or Sprint go after him, it's not because it's called donationware. And I'm guessing aonic is not shutting down torrents or chasing after people giving the installer away.
    Listen. Nobody is forcing him to do anything. Nobody here is the "tether" police (as far as I know). I was simply interested in seeing what others thought on the subject. And clearly, others DO feel the same way I do. The is a forum. Forums are here for people to discuss things. People post polls on forums. Get over it.

    I'm pretty sure the real reason it's called donationware is because he's not supporting it 100%. If he decides to call it quits, then you technically didn't buy anything, so you probably shouldn't expect support. Just my 2 cents...
    Talk about putting words in someone's mouth (AND assuming), way to eat your own words... Look, the fact is, that is NOT the reason. Any of those items could be addressed in an end user license agreement or terms of service. As a software provider are not automatically obligated to support your software.

    To everyone that keeps bringing up the price. It wouldn't matter if it was a penny or a million dollars. I'm talking about the PRINCIPLE here, not the price. Don't forget that I PAID for MyTether. I'm a customer. I had no problem shelling out the money. My problem is with how he's licensing/selling it to us, and I will say that when I made my forced donation, I was never left with the impression that I was buying forum access. Never. I knew I was buying the software, and to say otherwise is just a flat out lie.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
  4. #44  
    I don't care a great deal what they call it, I just wish the support for those who are "donors" would be a little better. That seems to be somewhat lacking in the "Donor" forum.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  5. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    False. Haven't you ever heard of complicity? And, that has nothing to do with this thread. Not even the same ballpark.
    Complicity implies that Rod participated in the act, knowingly or otherwise. The act here is selling the software, not helping him fix it. But you're absolutely right, nothing to do with the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    Listen. Nobody is forcing him to do anything. Nobody here is the "tether" police (as far as I know). I was simply interested in seeing what others thought on the subject. And clearly, others DO feel the same way I do. The is a forum. Forums are here for people to discuss things. People post polls on forums. Get over it.
    As they feel how I do. And we're discussing. You didn't list all the options, that's all.

    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    Talk about putting words in someone's mouth (AND assuming), way to eat your own words... Look, the fact is, that is NOT the reason. Any of those items could be addressed in an end user license agreement or terms of service. As a software provider are not automatically obligated to support your software.
    Maybe you should have asked for a EULA or TOS before hitting "Send Payment" if you knew it was going to bother you that much?

    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    To everyone that keeps bringing up the price. It wouldn't matter if it was a penny or a million dollars. I'm talking about the PRINCIPLE here, not the price. Don't forget that I PAID for MyTether. I'm a customer. I had no problem shelling out the money. My problem is with how he's licensing/selling it to us, and I will say that when I made my forced donation, I was never left with the impression that I was buying forum access. Never. I knew I was buying the software, and to say otherwise is just a flat out lie.
    I promise I do understand your point. I paid for it too, but back when it was bleeding edge and there was no hard set amount to pay/donate/give/whatever (I paid $10). I never had any of the problems other people posted about, but I'm now using MHS which seems to be faster after my testing. I think it's your comment in Post #3 that seems a little overblown to me. He's one dude with one piece of software and unless I've missed some posts, he's the only one doing it in this fashion. I think everyone else is content to go the normal/honest/open/whatever route of actually having a donation be a donation, and that should keep the homebrew scene legitimate.
  6. #46  
    I made my intentions and actions with regard to MyTether crystal clear earlier in this thread.

    I would appreciate others not speculating on such. Read my earlier posts for the facts of the matter.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Complicity implies that Rod participated in the act, knowingly or otherwise. The act here is selling the software, not helping him fix it. But you're absolutely right, nothing to do with the thread.
    That was not in reference to Rod participating in anything. That was in reference to your ridiculous example involving a crack deal.

    As they feel how I do. And we're discussing. You didn't list all the options, that's all.
    Technicalities. If they don't care, then why would they vote in a poll?

    Maybe you should have asked for a EULA or TOS before hitting "Send Payment" if you knew it was going to bother you that much?
    Now who's putting words in who's mouth? I never said that I cared about his EULA or TOS. All I've ever cared about is the fact that it is not a donation.

    Let me reiterate: Donationware is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and pleads for an optional donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) and payment is optional, it is a type of freeware.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
  8. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I made my intentions and actions with regard to MyTether crystal clear earlier in this thread.

    I would appreciate others not speculating on such. Read my earlier posts for the facts of the matter.

    -- Rod
    I'm not even sure if this post has any relevancy to any conversation that's been had since you're "earlier posts". I'm not speculating on anything, I'm simply calling it as I see it, which I think I'm wholly entitled to do.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
  9. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #49  
    My example is only ridiculous because it goes against your statement.

    The "Who cares" vote in every other poll with the option, just like the "Not sures."

    I didn't put words in your mouth, I just asked a question. Again.

    And I think this has been asked, and I'm certain you flamed that person, but I'll get flamed again. Now that you have defined donationware yet again, and have stipulated in several posts that MyTether isn't donationware, now what? You asked, what at least in every definition you've given, is a question that has a pretty obvious answer. I'll re-read the entire post in a little bit, but I don't think anyone has said yet that it is donationware. I remember someone saying he could call it whatever he wants was the closest to a yes. I'm guessing those 20-something people are just voting yes to mess with you. Doesn't seem like you needed a poll if you already knew the answer and were going to shoot down everyone who doesn't think it matters and/or happily paid for it even if, like me, they agree with you.
  10. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    My example is only ridiculous because it goes against your statement.

    The "Who cares" vote in every other poll with the option, just like the "Not sures."

    I didn't put words in your mouth, I just asked a question. Again.

    And I think this has been asked, and I'm certain you flamed that person, but I'll get flamed again. Now that you have defined donationware yet again, and have stipulated in several posts that MyTether isn't donationware, now what? You asked, what at least in every definition you've given, is a question that has a pretty obvious answer. I'll re-read the entire post in a little bit, but I don't think anyone has said yet that it is donationware. I remember someone saying he could call it whatever he wants was the closest to a yes. I'm guessing those 20-something people are just voting yes to mess with you. Doesn't seem like you needed a poll if you already knew the answer and were going to shoot down everyone who doesn't think it matters and/or happily paid for it even if, like me, they agree with you.
    All I can do is laugh at this post. I'm not losing sleep over any of this, I promise, it sounds like you are. I simply put this up months ago to gauge everyone else's reaction on MyTether and its distribution model. This isn't rocket-science... that's what polls are for. I'm not "shooting" anyone down. I'm constructively expressing my opinion on the matter. I don't understand what's so wrong about that? Is that not what these forums are for? What part of any of this don't you get?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
  11. irateb's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    #51  
    Ok, since we're going to continue to **** heads on what is really a non-issue, I'll take it in a slightly different direction. One of your earlier posts said that he can't call it whatever he wants. Is there anything in your opinion that you, I or anyone can do about it?

    And before you start your "constructive expression of your opinion," this is an honest question...
  12. mfive's Avatar
    Posts
    186 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
       #52  
    No, there's nothing we can do. :-/ (at least that I'm aware of). And, honestly, that wasn't really my intention, to enforce anything. I just wanted to see if others shared the same belief as me.

    I'm sure there are tax issues involved, but I'm not going that route. I'm not out to "get" aonic, as I do appreciate his hard work, I just wish that he called it as it was.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
  13. #53  
    hello. question? how did you get it. i donated and am unable to get it at all. any thoughts as to why?
  14. #54  
    It's clearly not "donationware" and it ****es me off that the creator tries to claim so, but I also don't know what you mean by being "allowed" to call it that... I think it's dumb to call it that and I won't buy it for that reason, but I don't think anyone can or should forcibly stop him from calling it whatever he wants... he can call it freeware and say he has his own definition of free
  15. thesmj's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    #55  
    Paypal charges per transaction for each item sold, unless they are "donations". Hence it's Paypal getting screwed in the deal.

    I like the software, and I even bought a license. But the fact that it's a "donation" is just a way for the developer to get out of paying Paypal a percent of his earnings. Nothing more nothing less.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions