Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    And even further...and I can't get a straight answer on the donor forum....are we absolutely sure that removing MT through Preware (and I assume also the service which is separate) will remove ALL traces of MT prior to the update?

This has been a major problem with this app in the past.
    Please re-read the first post of this thread. The answer to your question (for version 2.1.x at least) is in my review.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Please re-read the first post of this thread. The answer to your question (for version 2.1.x at least) is in my review.

-- Rod
    just evaluated the code myself and there is a problem. if you ever tried to uninstalle the app via quick install or orange+tap....there will be three files left on your file system.

net.aonic.tether.jar in the /usr/lib/luna/java/ folder

net.aonic.tether.service in the /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/ folder

net.aonic.tether in the /etc/event.d/ folder

i would have to recomend that aonic provide an uninstall script via exe or command line to fully erase MyTether for the people that want it completely off. in the mean time use these commands in terminal:

Code:
    rm -f /usr/lib/luna/java/net.aonic.tether.jar
    rm -f /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/net.aonic.tether.service
    rm -f /etc/event.d/net.aonic.tether
    Are those files needed for the current version (2.1)?
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    just evaluated the code myself and there is a problem. if you ever tried to uninstalle the app via quick install or orange+tap....there will be three files left on your file system.

i would have to recomend that aonic provide an uninstall script via exe or command line to fully erase MyTether for the people that want it completely off. in the mean time use these commands in terminal:

Code:

Those are the service files and that goes for all homebrew that requires a service to run. Orange+Tap and Webos quick install will uninstall MyTether the App. as for the service i believe you can remove those just fine with webos quick install and preware.
    MatterOfFactJack
  5.    #45  

Code:
    Those are files from the service that is installed alongside the application.

Did you remove both packages with Preware or WebOS Quick Install?

Orange + Tap does not remove advanced homebrew correctly.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    That is good information. I bet many people have overlooked that fact, for more than just MyTether.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is good information. I bet many people have overlooked that fact, for more than just MyTether.
    I'm experimenting with a new technique now which might make orange+tap work in the future ...

-- Rod

-- Rod
    i removed with orange+tap. What does Preware or WebOS do differently than orange +tap? I did find a file called prerm within aoinic's service ipk file. The prerm seemed to be written to remove the service files from the folders mentioned before. My question is how does this prerm file get called when being removed via QuickInstall or Preware?
  9.    #49  
    i removed with orange+tap. What does Preware or WebOS do differently than orange +tap? I did find a file called prerm within aoinic's service ipk file. The prerm seemed to be written to remove the service files from the folders mentioned before. My question is how does this prerm file get called when being removed via QuickInstall or Preware?
    WebOS Quick Install and Preware run those scripts automatically. That's the definition of advanced homebrew support for those installers.

Other installers that do not support advanced homebrew (like palm-install, fileCoaster, and orange+tap) do not.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    WebOS Quick Install and Preware run those scripts automatically. That's the definition of advanced homebrew support for those installers.

Other installers that do not support advanced homebrew (like palm-install, fileCoaster, and orange+tap) do not.

-- Rod
    do you mind giving me the specifics on what preware and WOQIS look for so i can inslude in my file. Does it have to be specifically called prerm or whatever. Or do they just look in the ipkg info for files that are not default include files in their.

also i dont know how mytether guy got the call to "services" to work. I put a dhcp.sh file all jar'd up (via zipped folders called my.company.cpuscaler.jar) into the /usr/lib/luna/java/ folder and in my cpuscaler's ipkg i called:

scaleOn: function(inSender) {
    this.controller.serviceRequest(this.serviceName,{method:"service",parameters:{service:"dhcp",params: "set "+("on")}});
    },

and the script looks like this:

case $1 in
    "on" )
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo on > /media/internal/downloads/test.txt
    ;;

"off" )
    echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo off > /media/internal/downloads/test.txt
    ;;
    esac

but when i push the button in the program it doesnt work. I wrote it like this becasue the emulator doesnt have a cpu to scale so im simulating the action by writing to a text file i put in /media/internal/downloads folder.

Do you have any idea why its not working? Is their a thread that talks about calling services from within a WebOS ipkg?
    Hi All,

First of all - Aonic, please do not be insulted, just an honest question hoping for some honest answers.

My question is that, since My Tether is not an open source application and there has not been any independent body testing the integrity of the code. Some of us, myself included, are very hesitant on trusting the code.

Let me put it in another perspective. Our address book contains (sometimes) hundreds of contacts, many of these contact information contains email addresses, phone numbers and real physical home addresses.

I do understand an application such as My Tether will never make it into the WebOS app store, I also understand that with such time invested into My Tether, opening up the source is just a bad deal.

However, perhaps we need some sort of proof that this application will not read your address book or email and send them to some cyber criminal or spammers.

Aonic -again, I am not accusing you to be an cyber criminal or a spammer of course. And truth be told, my gut feeling tells me that My Tether does what it is supposed to do and nothing more. However, guilty until proven innocent is the safer way to go.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    aonic is MIA and has been for at least two months. The last update came out shortly after the Verizon launch, and since then, there have been no posts or updates on the donor forum. In my case, I can't get USB tethering to turn on, it is always "enabling", which may be related to WebOS 1.4.2 on AT&T Palm Pre and Pixi phones.

At this point, I would say that My Tether is a dead app that has been abandoned by the author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    aonic is MIA and has been for at least two months. The last update came out shortly after the Verizon launch, and since then, there have been no posts or updates on the donor forum. In my case, I can't get USB tethering to turn on, it is always "enabling", which may be related to WebOS 1.4.2 on AT&T Palm Pre and Pixi phones.

At this point, I would say that My Tether is a dead app that has been abandoned by the author.
    I do know that the mytether.net website has changed within the last two months. Before you can download the no-donors version for free, now the website has been updated so that only the donor's version is available. And I'm pretty sure that this change to the website has occurred within the last two months.

In anycase, are there any developers out there who has/willing to challenge the integrity of the My Tether code?
    Thanks for this. I bought the app a few months ago, and after a week's hassle trying to get into the donor forum (and get the app, for that matter), I gave up trying to get support and uninstalled the product. If the app iteself is working properly now, I might reinstall, but I feel that part of the review should be given as far as timeliness of delivery, and support after purchase. The MyTether crew fails pretty miserably at both of those. In fact, I had to ask here to have questions answered that should be available to perspective buyers right on the front page. When I bought it, there was at least a public forum, with minimal support, now that's not even available. With no proof of an actual working support forum, I'm hesitant to suggest it. You're sending money blindly with absolutely no support in case of a delivery, and no support if you never receive your forum access code.

Great review, Rod, as always, but without some serious changes in the selling practices, I just can't recommend it.
    It works great for me.
    The forum is still around:
    My Tether

Do you not have your donor name and password?
    Many forum members will help you right away, nice people all about to help.

No need for an update if it's working still.

It's a bit of a gamble, sure. After all it is just a donation

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123