Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 124
  1.    #81  
    Hi Philesk,

    My Databank relies on two tables that define the information, Categories and Items.

    You can create a custom Category directly from within My Databank by pressing on the 'Add' buttom from the Category List screen or you can Import a custom Category that is already available or created (e.g. from the Shared Categories screen). Once a Category is created within My Databank, your next step is to import it's related data. But first, you'll need to obtain the Unique Identifier for the Category. This value represents the relationship key that ties your categories to it's items.

    From the Item List screen for the category, press on the 'Setup this Category' button. Then scroll to the very bottom to find the Unique Identifier for the category.

    Let's assume for example, your new custom Category is configured as follows:

    Title: Title
    Text1: Genre
    Text2: Format
    Text3: Rating
    Integer1: Length
    Integer2: Year
    Text4: Notes

    If for example, the Unique Identifier was 20, then the CSV containing your items should be formatted as follows:

    "categorytypeid","name","text1","text2","text3","int1","int2","text4"
    "20","10 Dead Men","Action/Adventure","DVD copy","R","90","0","Brendan Carr"

    Upon converting the above CSV data to MDF data (using http://i-eshop.com/mydatabank/convert.html), the conversion results ready for importing into My Databank should look like this:

    db_items|categorytypeid^name^text1^text2^text3^int1^int2^text4~20^10 Dead Men^Action/Adventure^DVD copy^R^90^0^Brendan Carr~|Translation Date: 6/22/2010 13:22|

    There can be a lot of other technical adjustments necessary. However, if you need further assistance, feel free to contact us at webossolutions@i-eshop.com.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by philesk View Post
    I tried to email you .zip, .csv, and pdb files containing examples for List and got an "illegal file" error message.
    Hi Philesk, the "illegal file" error maybe an error being generated or created from your end. Try sending us the contents of the csv file within the body text of the e-mail (not a file attachment) to see if you can manage to send us your example. Thanks!
  3. revnomad's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by oertuser View Post
    Hi revnomad, from the Category List screen, you can press on the pull down menu (top left) and select Share Categories. Here, you can download Categories other have made. While some may not be complex, you can contact us to see if we can assist you in building something complex enough to meet your needs. webossolutions@i-eshop.com
    Thanks, I didn't know what that "Share Categories" did, I assumed it was something for sharing categories between databases within My Databank. Several ideas have been floating around, none of which I can build because I don't understand My Databank's fields and because I'm not a coder (not even close).

    Baseball scoring: this occurred to me while watching my son play, is it even possible?

    Pastoral Call log: including individual, notes about the visit, miles driven, date and duration.

    event planner with date, speaker, entertainment, location, description.

    Just a few off the top of my head. Is anyone working on anything like these?
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by revnomad View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know what that "Share Categories" did, I assumed it was something for sharing categories between databases within My Databank. Several ideas have been floating around, none of which I can build because I don't understand My Databank's fields and because I'm not a coder (not even close).

    Baseball scoring: this occurred to me while watching my son play, is it even possible?

    Pastoral Call log: including individual, notes about the visit, miles driven, date and duration.

    event planner with date, speaker, entertainment, location, description.

    Just a few off the top of my head. Is anyone working on anything like these?
    Hi revnomad,

    You're absolutely correct about the Share Categories screen. It's the spot where My DataBank users can share Categories they've created that might be helpful for others. If you have minimal background in databases, don't worry, creating categories for you are for the most part very simple. You can download the ones I've just created for you so you can become familiar with them and make any necessary adjustments or modifications that will fit your need.

    Return to the Shared Categories screen, then find and download the categories you've mentioned: Baseball Scoring, Pastoral Call Log, and Event Planner.

    The Baseball Scoring was a little challenging since it is a little more complex but the example category I've created does help keep track of scoring from inning to inning.

    Feel free to unload anymore of your thoughts on other categories that may be helpful for you.
  5. hugh_h's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #85  
    Is there any way to delete the categories My DataBank comes with?

    And I read the "docs", but haven't figured out how to get any useful data into the program by importing. I find it would be very useful to be able to search records I import to it, but really not a bit useful if I have to type them all in on a "rubber-chicklet" keyboard.
  6.    #86  
    Hugh, the first time My Databank is installed, the default Categories are automatically created. At this point, your could press on the pull down menu (top left) from the Category List screen and select IMPORT, DELETE, ALL CATEGORIES.

    However, if you've already created your own custom Categories, you would need to select the default Categories and delete them individually. Simply drag the category to the right, and the Delete confirmation button will appear underneath.

    If you need assistance with Importing your data so you don't have to retype each record on the keyboard, let us know. Webossolutions@i-eshop.com
  7. aa6vh's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #87  
    New user of My Databank Unlimited (Paid version).

    I do have some questions on calculating.

    I have a formula:

    = int2 = 3600000 * int1

    I then enter an integer in the "int1" field. If the entered value is positive or zero, int2 is calculated correctly. However, if I enter "-1" in the int1 field, the int2 result is still returned as positive. Are negative numbers supported in integer fields?

    Also, how large is the integer field (i.e. what is the maximum number it can hold)? And how is the formula processed: Straight left to right? or is there precedence to the arithmetic operations (i.e. multiply having priority over addition)? Can parenthesis be used?

    In case you are wondering, I am using the above calculation to determine the time in other time zones. 3,600,000 is the number of milliseconds in an hour. Works great for time zones to the east of me, but not so great for time zones to the west.

    I am having some other issues with calculating, but I want to work my issues a little more before asking.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    New user of My Databank Unlimited (Paid version).

    I do have some questions on calculating.

    I have a formula:

    = int2 = 3600000 * int1

    I then enter an integer in the "int1" field. If the entered value is positive or zero, int2 is calculated correctly. However, if I enter "-1" in the int1 field, the int2 result is still returned as positive. Are negative numbers supported in integer fields?

    Also, how large is the integer field (i.e. what is the maximum number it can hold)? And how is the formula processed: Straight left to right? or is there precedence to the arithmetic operations (i.e. multiply having priority over addition)? Can parenthesis be used?

    In case you are wondering, I am using the above calculation to determine the time in other time zones. 3,600,000 is the number of milliseconds in an hour. Works great for time zones to the east of me, but not so great for time zones to the west.

    I am having some other issues with calculating, but I want to work my issues a little more before asking.
    Hi aa6vh, we've created the same scenario on our end and have also witnessed the same incorrect results. This is clearly a bug and have included your findings in our enhancement list. We will work on implementing a solution and a new release update for this as soon as we can.

    From a database perspective, the integer value can hold a maximum value of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. The formula process is straight left to right and currently accepts the basic arithmetic between 2 arguments. Parenthesis are currently not supported. However, we will gradually support this or similar capabilities and more complex formulas in the near future.

    Thanks for inquiring! Feel free to contact us if you have other advanced questions at webossolutions@i-eshop.com
  9. aa6vh's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #89  
    Thank you for your quick reply. I look forward to seeing the fix.

    I certainly can send in questions directly to you if you prefer, but this thread has been asleep since August. I think a little activity here shows that the product is still alive and well.

    With the demise of "Classic", I believe that users of the Palm "Smart List To Go" program (like myself) will be looking at My Databank as a possible replacement. I would imagine they too will be experiencing the same issues I am. Having some answers here may save these future users some aggravation.

    Anyway, I was following the help page regarding formulas. It is not clear in help that only two items are allowed:

    = int4 = int3 + int2 + int1

    is invalid (because of three items), but

    = int3 = int2 + int1

    is okay (two items). Is this a correct statement?

    I am also having problems with multiple formulas in the same title. Help says to separate them using a semicolon, but I could not get it to work (the first formula is performed, but the second one is not performed).

    = int3 = 100 * int1 ; int4 = int3 / int2

    Is this syntax correct? I tried a few variations in spacing and such, but still no joy on the second formula.

    Thanks again for your help.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. I look forward to seeing the fix.

    I certainly can send in questions directly to you if you prefer, but this thread has been asleep since August. I think a little activity here shows that the product is still alive and well.

    With the demise of "Classic", I believe that users of the Palm "Smart List To Go" program (like myself) will be looking at My Databank as a possible replacement. I would imagine they too will be experiencing the same issues I am. Having some answers here may save these future users some aggravation.

    Anyway, I was following the help page regarding formulas. It is not clear in help that only two items are allowed:

    = int4 = int3 + int2 + int1

    is invalid (because of three items), but

    = int3 = int2 + int1

    is okay (two items). Is this a correct statement?

    I am also having problems with multiple formulas in the same title. Help says to separate them using a semicolon, but I could not get it to work (the first formula is performed, but the second one is not performed).

    = int3 = 100 * int1 ; int4 = int3 / int2

    Is this syntax correct? I tried a few variations in spacing and such, but still no joy on the second formula.

    Thanks again for your help.
    Hi aa6vh, your point well taken; discussing advanced topics here should be very helpful for others.

    You are correct with your first statement. Only 2 arguments are currently supported. The other alternative for calculating multiple formulas would be through the use of the semicolon ';' as you've demonstrated. However, there appears to be an unexpected conflict within the code resulting in a bug. This bug has been corrected for our next update.

    We are targeting next week for the next release of the latest updates and fixes. But will be spending a little time disabling some of the new features we have yet to fully test and approve so we can at least get most of these little bugs resolved.

    We'll keep you posted in this forum. Thanks!
  11. aa6vh's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #91  
    How do you specify a where clause on the bit columns?

    I was unable to get it to work properly.

    = where bit1 = true

    returns "SQL Error, no such column 'true'"

    = where bit1

    = where bit1 != 0

    neither of these two worked.

    The only way I could get it to work was:

    = where bit1 != bit5

    because bit5 was unused and thus false.
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by aa6vh View Post
    How do you specify a where clause on the bit columns?

    I was unable to get it to work properly.

    = where bit1 = true

    returns "SQL Error, no such column 'true'"

    = where bit1

    = where bit1 != 0

    neither of these two worked.

    The only way I could get it to work was:

    = where bit1 != bit5

    because bit5 was unused and thus false.
    As unusual as it may seem, the information for bit data is not stored/converted into an actual data bit, but appears to be a string. Try the following:

    = where bit1 = 'true'
  13. aa6vh's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    #93  
    That works. Thanks.

    (Candidate for Help File enhancement?)
  14. #94  
    With the demise of classic things are going to get pretty busy round here, can you put a FAQ at the beginning of this thread to help people find all the information in one place, a link to http://i-eshop.com/mydatabank/help.asp would be useful as it lets people see what can be done with the app.
    I have been looking at my databank for 6 months, although it is gaining features it does not come close to Handbase, I am not talking about keeping passwords or shopping lists here, I keep track of all my jobs and accounts and clients using linked databases on my palm pre. That said, handbase began with fairly basic functionality and gained features as people requested them and as money came in, I guess!
    functions I use include;
    calculations using field values from previous record and present record
    unique ID value for each record (used to number receipts)
    link functions pulling specific data from another database
    default value for a field
    popup values for often entered values, text usually
    filters using values pulled from another database
    sticky filters that can be set and then turned on and off
    views that use a preset set of filters
    forms to enter data
    A desktop version
    This is your dayjob right? not a hobby?! there are many people who use their handheld as a serious device not as a toy and need tools that they used under palmos for which they were willling to pay good money, not that I am encouraging you to put up your prices.
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by afoulds View Post
    With the demise of classic things are going to get pretty busy round here, can you put a FAQ at the beginning of this thread to help people find all the information in one place, a link to http://i-eshop.com/mydatabank/help.asp would be useful as it lets people see what can be done with the app.
    I have been looking at my databank for 6 months, although it is gaining features it does not come close to Handbase, I am not talking about keeping passwords or shopping lists here, I keep track of all my jobs and accounts and clients using linked databases on my palm pre. That said, handbase began with fairly basic functionality and gained features as people requested them and as money came in, I guess!
    functions I use include;
    calculations using field values from previous record and present record
    unique ID value for each record (used to number receipts)
    link functions pulling specific data from another database
    default value for a field
    popup values for often entered values, text usually
    filters using values pulled from another database
    sticky filters that can be set and then turned on and off
    views that use a preset set of filters
    forms to enter data
    A desktop version
    This is your dayjob right? not a hobby?! there are many people who use their handheld as a serious device not as a toy and need tools that they used under palmos for which they were willling to pay good money, not that I am encouraging you to put up your prices.
    Hi afoulds,

    Thanks for your recommendation; we'll be updating the help page as soon as our next update has been released which includes a lot more advanced features.

    This includes the capability to provide running totals and running differences which are ideal for account balances and miles per gallon calculations.

    Default values are currently supported by using formulas. For example, this will set the value for an integer field:
    = int1 = 100

    This example will set the current date for a date field:
    = date1 = now

    After our next upcoming update, we will be refining some of the features we've got working which you've mentioned such as a Lookup field that can pull frequently used values as static sources or from other Categories. We'll also explore some of the remaining items you've described.

    When things become too overwhelming, I may consider expanding. But at this time, it's more of a part time operation. In the meantime, I would prefer to keep the prices down so more users can take advantage of this app. Thanks again for all your suggestions!
    Last edited by oertuser; 11/04/2010 at 11:09 AM.
  16. #96  
    has anyone used this program to manage the contact information so it can be searched using any criteria and using any field? without any limitations like the search in the WEBOS?

    Thanks
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    has anyone used this program to manage the contact information so it can be searched using any criteria and using any field? without any limitations like the search in the WEBOS?

    Thanks
    Hi Tungsten,

    Currently, My Databank is limited to searches/filters within the webOS environment. It currently supports filtering using the 'WHERE' clause that allows you to list items that meet a particular criteria.

    However, we are also working on building a new Query/Search screen that will enable advanced search functionality so that you can search/query items (contacts) using any field-checking conditions and criteria permissible within a SQLite database environment.
  18. #98  
    is it possible to have more fields visible in the item list
  19.    #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by afoulds View Post
    is it possible to have more fields visible in the item list
    Hi afoulds, not at this time. However, we are exploring 3 ideas.

    a. allowing more fields to be visible by stacking the additional fields after each row.
    b. allowing more fields to be visible across a row only when in landscape view mode.
    c. allowing more fields to be visible across a row in a grid-like format. This may be the best approach but will deviate from using the standard webOS list widget.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by oertuser View Post
    Hi afoulds, not at this time. However, we are exploring 3 ideas.

    a. allowing more fields to be visible by stacking the additional fields after each row.
    b. allowing more fields to be visible across a row only when in landscape view mode.
    c. allowing more fields to be visible across a row in a grid-like format. This may be the best approach but will deviate from using the standard webOS list widget.
    looking at the way apps work I suppose you are not allowed to slide stuff sideways as that is the delete "swipe".
    I'm not sure I get the picture for the grid like format, I am imagining title field then a couple of fields then spilling over into a new row but with the space under title field blank.
    An example of a view I use is where I see rows of job name, cost, item, id. It isn't much use to see cost but not know what I bought. To keep track of receipts I use a unique id field which is an integer uniquely associated with that record.
    I don't know much about other peoples use of databases, mine tend to function as a cross between a spreadsheet for the calculations and a database for the filtering!
    I collect client name, job details, time rate or job estimate from one database
    then record time started and finished, costs of materials bought, extra costs incurred, to calculate total job time and job cost and then record income. I then filter records to look at income from various sources and purchases attributed to different clients.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions