Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by loyalfan View Post
    I am using My Databank to track business miles on my car. I need to send the data to My expense reporting tool. Everything looks great except I cannot figure out the format of the date field. Any help would be appreciated.
    loyalfan, another easy way to get all your Items data is to select the eMail Report feature. From the Items List screen, press on the pull down menu (top left) and select EMail Items Report. This will allow you to eMail all the record of Items from your Expense Reporting category to yourself.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    http://i-eshop.com/mydatabank/convert.html

I am trying to use the above utility to transfer over a number of data items from my old Centro for use with My DataBank on the new Pre Plus. I've used the feature in TealSafe to export each data store to a "csv-formatted memopad memo" (as the export box calls it). But when I try to use the above utility to convert the same from a CSV into an MDF, I get the "unknown column name" error. This is true whether I change the drop-down to either "Categories" or "Items"

What am I missing?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    [url]

I am trying to use the above utility to transfer over a number of data items from my old Centro for use with My DataBank on the new Pre Plus. I've used the feature in TealSafe to export each data store to a "csv-formatted memopad memo" (as the export box calls it). But when I try to use the above utility to convert the same from a CSV into an MDF, I get the "unknown column name" error. This is true whether I change the drop-down to either "Categories" or "Items"

What am I missing?
    Luke, My DataBank only recognizes field names listed in the file specifications for the Category and Items table. See the help page at http://i-eshop.com/mydatabank/help.asp

If you are converting CSV files with column names that are not listed within the specifications, you will encounter the 'unknown column name' error. For example, column names 'Address, City, Age, Birthdate' cannot be used and should instead be named 'text1, text2, int1, date1' depending on how you would like to translate the field columns. EMail us if you have other technical questions at webossolutions@i-eshop.com.
    Am also having the same problems converting. Why not post an example that users can follow rather than let ask for csv files to be emailed to you. The idea of providing a converter is brilliant but show us by example what needs to be changed in a typical csv file for it to work. I tried changing to text1 text2 etc on my csv export and it still did not work. Potentially very good application.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
    Am also having the same problems converting. Why not post an example that users can follow rather than let ask for csv files to be emailed to you. The idea of providing a converter is brilliant but show us by example what needs to be changed in a typical csv file for it to work. I tried changing to text1 text2 etc on my csv export and it still did not work. Potentially very good application.
    We're working on a instructional video to assist with CSV conversion and will bump it up to a higher priority. Thanks for your feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by oertuser View Post
    We're working on a instructional video to assist with CSV conversion and will bump it up to a higher priority. Thanks for your feedback!
    Thanks for your quick reply. In the meantime, is it possible to post a csv file of the default fields that converts successfully to mdf format so that I can open the csv file in Excel and paste in my data then export it successfully to mdf using the convert utility. Once it is successfully opened in My databank, I can then rename the fields as required.

Food for thought: a search field that searches for documents in a specified local folder and lists all the documents as links that when clicked opens the document to highlight the searched word within the document. Ok, just an idea of an ultimate database program for me. basically searching, and listing all the information and a click away from full keyword source.

Just because I think this program has unbelievable potential. Thanks.
  7.    #67  
    Thanks for your quick reply. In the meantime, is it possible to post a csv file of the default fields that converts successfully to mdf format so that I can open the csv file in Excel and paste in my data then export it successfully to mdf using the convert utility. Once it is successfully opened in My databank, I can then rename the fields as required.

Food for thought: a search field that searches for documents in a specified local folder and lists all the documents as links that when clicked opens the document to highlight the searched word within the document. Ok, just an idea of an ultimate database program for me. basically searching, and listing all the information and a click away from full keyword source.

Let me clarify your thoughts... So you'ld like to see some way a field can be used as a keyword for a search function to allow you to find internal documents stored in your webOS device? Similar to a File Manager?
  8.    #68  

Here's the CSV equivalent of the MDF posted earlier for your convenience:

The values here have been removed; not ideal for copying and pasting as unexpected spaces are somehow being inserted. I've moved the template data into the Online Conversion Tool and will be available shortly

Now you can use Excel to open this CSV file and make any modifications. Notice, I've enabled all of the text fields, integer fields, date fields, and bit fields. Feel free to rename any of the titles I've used to anything you prefer or remove them completely. Also, notice I've assigned 500 as the unique categorytype id identifier. If you decide to create another custom category, you can choose the next index 501.

Once you made your changes, you can bring it back into MDF format, import into My DataBank and see if your changes show up in your webOS device.

Let me know if this is helpful or if I need to make any adjustments or modifications. Thanks!
    Last edited by oertuser; 04/28/2010 at 06:24 PM.
    sandbox, great suggestion. Copy the single Category below (MDF format) and paste it into the online CSV/MDF conversion tool to turn it into a CSV file:

Once you made your changes, you can bring it back into MDF format, import into My DataBank and see if your changes show up in your webOS device.

Let me know if this is helpful or if I need to make any adjustments or modifications. Thanks!
    Thanks for your reply. There may be a problem with the converter. I pasted the MDF file in the MDF container an selected <<. CSV data appeared in CSV container with no errors (2 rows 38 columns). without making any changes, Cleared MDF container and pressed >> to convert CSV back to MDF. Nothing appeared in MDF container side and IExplorer reported error on page. Maybe am missing something.

Also when exactly in the conversion process is Table : "categories" and " items" used. Also when is "Select All" used?. Is the conversion a two step process? i.e export with categories selected and save MDF file, then export with Items selected and save as second file?. regards
    Can i have two palm pre or pixi under the same palm profile? Because i need to have the same info and data in both
    Let me clarify your thoughts... So you'ld like to see some way a field can be used as a keyword for a search function to allow you to find internal documents stored in your webOS device? Similar to a File Manager?
    Yes

To start with, I do not know wether it is possible but looking at an item list on My Databank, a lot of space seems wasted between the category name and the Item title box. Maybe that space could include a word search filter box specifically for searching within the item list. currently using the keyboard can only search the title items?. To expand the search capability within Item list, maybe the field to view dropdown list to the right could also be made as the selected field to search.

Included in the dropdown list could be "Search All (including local Folder documents". Typing a keyword in the search field in the item list would then list all records with the key word and also list all the local documents that contain the key words. and if possible clicking the list item would then take us to the item detail. This can be item record, photo, document page and highlight word, etc. regards.
  12.    #72  
    Thanks for your reply. There may be a problem with the converter. I pasted the MDF file in the MDF container an selected <<. CSV data appeared in CSV container with no errors (2 rows 38 columns). without making any changes, Cleared MDF container and pressed >> to convert CSV back to MDF. Nothing appeared in MDF container side and IExplorer reported error on page. Maybe am missing something.

Also when exactly in the conversion process is Table : "categories" and " items" used. Also when is "Select All" used?. Is the conversion a two step process? i.e export with categories selected and save MDF file, then export with Items selected and save as second file?. regards
    Sandbox, review your CSV file data headers. There should be no space before text2, no space between int5, and no space between bit5. It appears pasting a continuous line of text through this forum generates unexpected spaces. I've just removed the MDF version but fixed the CSV version in case anyone wants to copy it directly from the screen.

Also, I made changes to the converter utility which I've just fixed. Try now and see if it works.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by chinoguanquenobi View Post
    Can i have two palm pre or pixi under the same palm profile? Because i need to have the same info and data in both
    chinoguanquenobi, if your question is inquiring whether it is possible to have the same My DataBank categories and items on one device (Pre) and the same on another device (Pixi), the answer is yes.

You can simply choose My DataBank's backup feature, eMail the Categories and Items data to yourself, then import the information into your other device. Visit the Backup Data and Restore section of the help page for My DataBank for details.

We're aware that this can be a tedious process if you need to have this done frequently. However, we are also currently working on a major enhancement that will allow you to share your data automatically with multiple users without going through the backup/import process.
  14.    #74  
    Yes

To start with, I do not know wether it is possible but looking at an item list on My Databank, a lot of space seems wasted between the category name and the Item title box. Maybe that space could include a word search filter box specifically for searching within the item list. currently using the keyboard can only search the title items?. To expand the search capability within Item list, maybe the field to view dropdown list to the right could also be made as the selected field to search.

Included in the dropdown list could be "Search All (including local Folder documents". Typing a keyword in the search field in the item list would then list all records with the key word and also list all the local documents that contain the key words. and if possible clicking the list item would then take us to the item detail. This can be item record, photo, document page and highlight word, etc. regards.
    I see. It sounds like one of our existing to do's in our enhancement list: Expand keyboard search beyond just the title but the secondary field chosen. Including an Advanced Global Search function. We figured the same thing and realized a global search feature would be nice to help find items we can't remember where we've put them.

The extra space between the Category Title and the List items is generally reserved for the Category description. However, we'll see if we can eliminate that extra space when no description has been provided. Thanks again for your suggestion!
    Sandbox, review your CSV file data headers. There should be no space before text2, no space between int5, and no space between bit5. It appears pasting a continuous line of text through this forum generates unexpected spaces. I've just removed the MDF version but fixed the CSV version in case anyone wants to copy it directly from the screen.

Also, I made changes to the converter utility which I've just fixed. Try now and see if it works.
    I have given up. Something just doesnt work. although the utility can convert mdf to csv, the same csv file cannot be converted back to mdf. Maybe I just have to try the option of sending my csv file to you for conversion to mdf. regards
  16.    #76  
    I have given up. Something just doesnt work. although the utility can convert mdf to csv, the same csv file cannot be converted back to mdf. Maybe I just have to try the option of sending my csv file to you for conversion to mdf. regards
    We'll be glad to look at your CSV file (category) and run it through the converter to see if we need to accommodate certain exceptions to get the CSV to MDF conversion to work for you. Send it to us at webossolutions@i-eshop.com whenever you get the chance. Thx!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Is there a listing of applications created for "my databank?"

Also I need a fuller explanation of how to create a My Databank application. Perhaps a more complex example, such as project hours or miles traveled.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by revnomad View Post
    Is there a listing of applications created for "my databank?"

Also I need a fuller explanation of how to create a My Databank application. Perhaps a more complex example, such as project hours or miles traveled.
    Hi revnomad, from the Category List screen, you can press on the pull down menu (top left) and select Share Categories. Here, you can download Categories other have made. While some may not be complex, you can contact us to see if we can assist you in building something complex enough to meet your needs. webossolutions@i-eshop.com
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm not understanding something here. I have the trial version of My Databank.
    The two most popular database apps for the old PalmOS were "List" and "MobileDb". There are hundreds of databases available for both apps, and WindowsPC versions which allow conversion to CSV files. I am unable to convert a simple database from either List or MobileDb. It seems the CSV files from MobileDb use a standard format whereby the first line in the CSV file is the Data Types, the second line is the field (column) names, and each successive line is the actual data.

e.g from the database "movie Collection":

"{Column Data Types}","Text","Text","Text","Text","Text","Numeric","Text"
    "Title","Genre","Format","Rating","Length","Year","Notes"
    "10 Dead Men","Action/Adventure","DVD copy","R","1:30","","Brendan Carr"

The List application uses a similar format, where the first line has the database name, followed by two user definable fields, and two standard fields, "Notes" and "categories"

line 1
    Applebee's,Item,Dots,Old,"Old WW Menu","WW Menu"

Line 1 is :
    database name, fieldname1, fieldname2, 3 category names

sample data:
    Old,Bikini Banana Low-fat Strawberry Shortcake,4.5,(229 cal/2.9g fat/2.6g fiber/49.4g carbs)
    this is:
    category name, fieldname1, filedname2, notes (standard) field info

What do I need to do to get these CSV files into the converter?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I tried to email you .zip, .csv, and pdb files containing examples for List and got an "illegal file" error message.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast