Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Since swiping on many other apps is not destructive, you should warn users that their information is not saved, especially where the "Done" button is out of site and requires a little digging.

Today I had to doctor the os, and was presently surprised that Geotasks survived the ordeal. Very nice! Usually developers don't think about this when they design apps with data. The WebOS Backup process replaces the apps, but the real work (for the user) is in the data.

jmf
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    Since swiping on many other apps is not destructive, you should warn users that their information is not saved, especially where the "Done" button is out of site and requires a little digging.

Today I had to doctor the os, and was presently surprised that Geotasks survived the ordeal. Very nice! Usually developers don't think about this when they design apps with data. The WebOS Backup process replaces the apps, but the real work (for the user) is in the data.

jmf
    I believe Palm updated apps in 1.3 so that app data is stored on the USB partition. Thanks for the heads up!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I am having a problem starting geotasks. It just sits with the globe and the flashing light behind it in minimized mode, but never actually fully loads. Any ideas?

I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall it.
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmillican View Post
    I am having a problem starting geotasks. It just sits with the globe and the flashing light behind it in minimized mode, but never actually fully loads. Any ideas?

I have already tried to uninstall and reinstall it.
    Did you have an older version?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backlund View Post
    Did you have an older version?
    Yes, I have had it installed since the day it was released (at least the first time it showed up in preware a few months ago)
    Last edited by Mmillican; 04/02/2010 at 11:00 AM.
  6.    #106  
    Yes, I have had it installed since the day it was released (at least the first time it showed up in preware a few months ago)
    Sounds like Palm still hasn't fixed the cookie bug. When apps are deleted, the associated data is supposed to be deleted as well.

Have you updated to 1.4.1 yet?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Sounds like Palm still hasn't fixed the cookie bug. When apps are deleted, the associated data is supposed to be deleted as well.

Have you updated to 1.4.1 yet?
    Yep, any suggesstions? Would upgrading to Geotask Pro fix this? I plan on it anyway, but I don't want to if it isn't going to work...

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Mmillican; 04/02/2010 at 01:50 PM.
  8.    #108  
    Yep, any suggesstions? Would upgrading to Geotask Pro fix this? I plan on it anyway, but I don't want to if it isn't going to work...

Thanks for the help!
    I'm 99% sure it will fix it. I believe it's trying to read one of the old tasks. That's my fault, as I should have planned for that better. Hold tight before doing anything. I'm looking at the issue right now and I will send you an IPK shortly to try out.
  9.    #109  

Thanks for the help!
    One other question. Have you rebooted your device lately? If not, I would try removing the app (orange + tap on icon) and then reboot the device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and click restart).

After the reboot, try reinstalling the free version of the app from the catalog.

Let me know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    One other question. Have you rebooted your device lately? If not, I would try removing the app (orange + tap on icon) and then reboot the device (hold down the power button for a few seconds and click restart).

After the reboot, try reinstalling the free version of the app from the catalog.

Let me know how it goes.
    I just tried that and it worked ! Thank you so much!!
  11.    #111  
    I just tried that and it worked ! Thank you so much!!
    Awesome. There are a number of WebOS bugs Palm has still yet to work out. I've spent hours beating my head against bugs in the app, only to find out that they weren't actually the app cuasing it, but being caused by WebOS. Glad to hear it fixed it for you!
    I just purchased this for fun. I am unsure I really will use it much but wanted to support you. Is there a manual for this?

I know most Pre apps are common sense but I tried to add alert location, clicked on the hour glass and typed in the Location Search, where it says "Example: Wal Mart," a test like chilis pittsburgh pa and nothing happens when I hit return. No matches ever come up. It just seems to time out. At that screen I am searching Google for locations to add or am I doing this wrong?
    Could use a bit of feedback on these screens I think..

Maybe I am at the wrong screen and am searching previously added locations instead?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I just purchased this for fun. I am unsure I really will use it much but wanted to support you. Is there a manual for this?

I know most Pre apps are common sense but I tried to add alert location, clicked on the hour glass and typed in the Location Search, where it says "Example: Wal Mart," a test like chilis pittsburgh pa and nothing happens when I hit return. No matches ever come up. It just seems to time out. At that screen I am searching Google for locations to add or am I doing this wrong?
    Could use a bit of feedback on these screens I think..

Maybe I am at the wrong screen and am searching previously added locations instead?
    That's odd. I just did the same search and came up with Chilis on 855 Freeport road. Silly question, but do you have your data connection turned on? If you haven't done so, you may want to reboot your phone just to make sure everything is fresh, clean, and operational. Let me know if any of it helps or not.
    That's odd. I just did the same search and came up with Chilis on 855 Freeport road. Silly question, but do you have your data connection turned on? If you haven't done so, you may want to reboot your phone just to make sure everything is fresh, clean, and operational. Let me know if any of it helps or not.
    Okay that is weird. My data connection was fine as I was pulling maps etc... just fine. I was at work and do not get a gps lock there though.

Actually this program did use the cell tower to get close to where I was.

I just tried it again outisde of work and it worked.

Unsure why it has to have a gps just to get a data stream but hey...
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

15.    #115  
    Okay that is weird. My data connection was fine as I was pulling maps etc... just fine. I was at work and do not get a gps lock there though.

Actually this program did use the cell tower to get close to where I was.

I just tried it again outisde of work and it worked.

Unsure why it has to have a gps just to get a data stream but hey...
    Glad to hear it worked. Occasionally Google local search likes to freak out and not return results, so that could have been the issue. Usually closing the app and reopening it resolves it. Thanks for the input!
    Unsure the correct forum for these...
    ----------------
    Just playing with this for a day but here are some thoughts already that I would like to see.

From what I can tell the program is set up to add a task and that task is you are near a location and gives you notes.

-What I would like to see is the ability to add locations instead of tasks. Then when you get to a location you then have a tasks list pop up for that location. One that you can even check off items.

Right now I am setting up all the normal places I like to shop etc... What I want is the ability to keep those set up all the time as locations to be alerted to instead of the tasks themselves. If an alert pops up could be configurable to only pop up if I have a task set for there or all the time.

I understand that you can re-use a task but I am just thinking of the programs default behavior of locations alert/task instead of task--alert.

Basically when I am driving around and I head to Best Buy, I get out of my car and walk in. Up pops the reminder that I need this or that the next time I am at Best Buy. Then I can check off that CD I wanted but leave on say "Get new VGA adapter" since they were still out of them. So that next time I go there it again reminds me to get the adapter. The CD does not show as it was a task that I marked completed. These could be a shopping list or just something that just needs done.

-I see that you have to leave the background scanner running. I can understand that but can you make it hide once ran? I hate seeing that space taken up if I can help it. ii

-Can you make another icon that just runs the location services part so I do not have to run the program and dismiss it just to load that? I would rather just launch something real fast that then hides itself.

-Add the ability to set a background schedule for the program location services itself. A global one if you will, aside from having to set them all individually so I can just set it to run when I leave work and turn off when I get home, maybe even allowing a location itself to turn it off?

Just some thoughts ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 04/03/2010 at 09:18 AM.

17. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Sometimes I drive by an active location but would rather stop later. So I would like a pass for now option.

jmf
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    Sometimes I drive by an active location but would rather stop later. So I would like a pass for now option.

jmf
    Snooze location does that. When you click it, it will give you a threshold to delay alerting you of that location again. Snooze by time does the same thing, but displays the alert no matter where you are based on the time threshold you set.

These options aren't particularly clear. I am working on some kind of a tap here for help option to add in the near future...
  19.    #119  
    Unsure the correct forum for these...
    ----------------
    Just playing with this for a day but here are some thoughts already that I would like to see.

From what I can tell the program is set up to add a task and that task is you are near a location and gives you notes.

-What I would like to see is the ability to add locations instead of tasks. Then when you get to a location you then have a tasks list pop up for that location. One that you can even check off items.

Right now I am setting up all the normal places I like to shop etc... What I want is the ability to keep those set up all the time as locations to be alerted to instead of the tasks themselves. If an alert pops up could be configurable to only pop up if I have a task set for there or all the time.

I understand that you can re-use a task but I am just thinking of the programs default behavior of locations alert/task instead of task--alert.

Basically when I am driving around and I head to Best Buy, I get out of my car and walk in. Up pops the reminder that I need this or that the next time I am at Best Buy. Then I can check off that CD I wanted but leave on say "Get new VGA adapter" since they were still out of them. So that next time I go there it again reminds me to get the adapter. The CD does not show as it was a task that I marked completed. These could be a shopping list or just something that just needs done.

-I see that you have to leave the background scanner running. I can understand that but can you make it hide once ran? I hate seeing that space taken up if I can help it. ii

-Can you make another icon that just runs the location services part so I do not have to run the program and dismiss it just to load that? I would rather just launch something real fast that then hides itself.

-Add the ability to set a background schedule for the program location services itself. A global one if you will, aside from having to set them all individually so I can just set it to run when I leave work and turn off when I get home, maybe even allowing a location itself to turn it off?

Just some thoughts ii

This is the perfect place for feedback!

I'll see what I can come up with for this. Currently there's a small notepad for additional notes on each task. I certainly could expand upon that section to add more features like you are requesting.

The scanner should disappear if there aren't any active tasks running. I used to have it completely transparent to the user, but Palm made a number of changes in 1.4 that no longer allows background apps that users have no way of closing. Basically, they are now automatically shutting down any apps that run for longer than a minute with no active GUI. Palm's solution for this is to have us run a small notifier in the bottom to let you keep the app running, but also give you the chance to close it if needed.

I know what you are saying about keeping things clean. It's the main reason I hate Palm's current implementation of the card system. I pretty much never keep cards open because of the ease of "throwing them away". I've always wished Palm would let us actually use the phone's 'desktop' for something other than a picture! I would like to see them get rid of the single line of cards and let us actually place cards, widgets, etc. on the phone's desktop. In a future update, I suppose....

A global schedule is 100% on the to do list. I have wanted this a few times myself for the sake of power management. Look for this soon.
  20. a2k
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I like the ability to have the application run in the background without anchoring itself to the taskbar!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast