02/04/2010, 03:41 PM
Alright, here's what I did. I took one for the team and erased my phone back to WebOS 1.2. I reinstalled 1.3.5 and the previous version of Geotasks. I then ran Palm's update utility and the app updated just fine. So, I know there isn't anything wrong with the IPK. The problem is something related to Preware's package manager service.
Originally Posted by davenukem
FWIW, I don't know what causes package manager to act up, but poking around on the forums I have found that other apps are having the same issue. Usually the fix I mentioned in the first post fixes it, but I found a few others with apps doing the same thing as your phone is. The bummer of it is that I don't think the WebOS internals team has any fix for it, other than to wipe the device, which of course I am not going to advise you to do.
The only other thing I can think of is perhaps it has something to do with version requirements. When I originally uploaded the app, I clicked that WebOS 1.3.5 is required, since I wasn't able to test the app on an older version of WebOS. When I dumped my phone back to 1.2 today, I tested the latest version with it and it works just fine. So, when I update the app in the next day or two (possibly even tonight) I will mark the OS version requirement back to 1.2. I have no idea if that will solve anything, but if you guys see something different happen, let me know.