webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Geotasks
Geotasks
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01/31/2010, 08:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
are you planning to add the option to choose a location from the contacts list on the pre?


btw: great app
hello? anyone?
ericizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 08:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 30
Thank for this great app. I was watching Man vs Food today and they had a great burger place in Seattle. I said I'd better write down the name of the place so that next time we are in Seattle I go there. As with all my little notes and reminders I always forget to look them up.

Then it hit me, if only there was a geographically based reminder that would automatically remind me of all those great places

This is one awesome tool
oscarvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
jmf
Member
 
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by backlund View Post
Not sure why you can't find starbucks. Search results are from Google, so it's something related to them. And, yes, you can close the app. It does not need to be left open.
It found the Starbucks in California, but I'm in Buffalo, NY.

jmf
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2010, 09:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 194
Nice app. Great to see some dev action from the Northland.
dsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 08:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
hello? anyone?
Yes, on the todo list.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 08:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
It found the Starbucks in California, but I'm in Buffalo, NY.

jmf
The search will default to your current location, but it is a bit dependent on how good your GPS signal is currently. If fixes take too long due to signal issues, etc., Google's search defaults to sunnyvale CA (Google's HQ). It does this to keep the search from hanging up the app. A simple workaround is to be more specific with the search if it is coming up with CA results. For example, try searching "Starbucks Buffalo NY".

I'm going to add an option to manually set your default search location soon, which should alleviate this.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 05:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by backlund View Post
Yes, on the todo list.
this would be great. thank you
ericizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 05:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
jmf
Member
 
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by backlund View Post
It does this to keep the search from hanging up the app. A simple workaround is to be more specific with the search if it is coming up with CA results. For example, try searching "Starbucks Buffalo NY".
I must have a dozen other gps apps that use my current location without a problem.

jmf
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2010, 08:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
discdoc's Avatar
 
Posts: 59
Why is Geotasks always showing as Update Available? I choose update and it still shows as Update Available. I even tried removing/re-installing, but this only works for a day or so... then, Update Available comes up. This only happens with Geotasks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
discdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 08:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
jmf
Member
 
Posts: 52
I just updated and surprised that there still is not a closer coffee shop to Buffalo, NY than Sunnyvale, California. Also the preferences option is not available. Google Maps shows my position within feet and the cell towers are across the street. Please advise.

jmf
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 09:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
I just updated and surprised that there still is not a closer coffee shop to Buffalo, NY than Sunnyvale, California. Also the preferences option is not available. Google Maps shows my position within feet and the cell towers are across the street. Please advise.

jmf
As I mentioned before I haven't added the preferences option yet. Should be available by this weekend. Have you tried refining your search?
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2010, 09:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
Why is Geotasks always showing as Update Available? I choose update and it still shows as Update Available. I even tried removing/re-installing, but this only works for a day or so... then, Update Available comes up. This only happens with Geotasks. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Do you have preware installed? If so, read the first post in this thread.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 11:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Just a quick update, but I got the app working with kilometers last night. A few more bug fixes / enhancements and I should have the new version out to all of you (hopefully sometime this weekend). I will release it to European markets as well.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 12:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
jmf
Member
 
Posts: 52
There are few attempts out there implementing this concept. I like your variation that doesn't require the app to be open and hope that you can solve the Sunnyvale, CA. problem without need to locate manually.

jmf
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 01:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
There are few attempts out there implementing this concept. I like your variation that doesn't require the app to be open and hope that you can solve the Sunnyvale, CA. problem without need to locate manually.

jmf
Yep. Already added it to the preferences screen.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 02:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
discdoc's Avatar
 
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by backlund View Post
Do you have preware installed? If so, read the first post in this thread.
Are you referring to the Emergency Migration Tool and Luna Restart? If so, I have done both to no avail. I'm constantly finding that an update is available when it really isn't.
discdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 03:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
Are you referring to the Emergency Migration Tool and Luna Restart? If so, I have done both to no avail. I'm constantly finding that an update is available when it really isn't.
hmmm.... odd. Did you try deleting the app? (hold orange and click on the app icon).
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2010, 05:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 178
Newest version will not update, even after multiple restarts and a migration. Something tell me the IPK is messed up. Might want to resubmit, or put a test version here in order to allow us to tell you if it's the ipk itself or something.
davenukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2010, 03:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
backlund's Avatar
 
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
Newest version will not update, even after multiple restarts and a migration. Something tell me the IPK is messed up. Might want to resubmit, or put a test version here in order to allow us to tell you if it's the ipk itself or something.
Alright, here's what I did. I took one for the team and erased my phone back to WebOS 1.2. I reinstalled 1.3.5 and the previous version of Geotasks. I then ran Palm's update utility and the app updated just fine. So, I know there isn't anything wrong with the IPK. The problem is something related to Preware's package manager service.

FWIW, I don't know what causes package manager to act up, but poking around on the forums I have found that other apps are having the same issue. Usually the fix I mentioned in the first post fixes it, but I found a few others with apps doing the same thing as your phone is. The bummer of it is that I don't think the WebOS internals team has any fix for it, other than to wipe the device, which of course I am not going to advise you to do.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps it has something to do with version requirements. When I originally uploaded the app, I clicked that WebOS 1.3.5 is required, since I wasn't able to test the app on an older version of WebOS. When I dumped my phone back to 1.2 today, I tested the latest version with it and it works just fine. So, when I update the app in the next day or two (possibly even tonight) I will mark the OS version requirement back to 1.2. I have no idea if that will solve anything, but if you guys see something different happen, let me know.
backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2010, 09:47 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 71
Hi,
I installed it manually (please allow us to install it from Spain) and the comments after one day are two:

* Add more ways to add a place, in my area very little business are listed in google maps, but if you allow us to navigate in the map and choose a location this way or even entering a longitude and latitude it will make it more easy to use (now I have to use the desktop for find out the exact address for what I'm looking for and type it exactly in geotasks)

* Allow to customize the sound and/o the duration of the alert, I missed two alerts today while I was driving

Cheers
JD
jdevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: backlund
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0