Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Google Latitude shows you where your family and friends are. You can also tap a friend's icon to text or call them. Unfortunately Latitude is not yet intended to work on a Palm Pre or Pixi. But PreCentral member d.moss discovered how to get Latitude on a webOS phone. Then evan410 found a way that is even better.

This unofficial app just gives you a Launcher icon for Google Latitude. Tap it for the iPhone version of Latitude. Great, but how do you make it think you are an iPhone?

Just install the iPhone user agent spoof patch with WebOS Quick Install. Follow those instructions to be able to Homebrew if you don't already. On the main WebOS Quick Install menu click Tools then Tweaks. Then check the iPhone user agent spoof patch. When it is ready click Restart Luna and then Close.

That's it. You are ready to use your Google Latitude.

Thank you to kmax12 for creating this app as well as BreakOut, PreTracker, and other great apps.

When it is available in the Homebrew Gallery, it should be here: Google Latitude.
    Until it is available in the Homebrew Gallery, to install it, right-click on this link and click Save Target As.... Open the zip and extract the ipk file to a location you will remember. Open WebOS Quick Install and press the plus button [+] then select the file you just saved (com.themxweb.precentral_0.0.1_all.ipk) and click install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/15/2010 at 08:32 PM.
    i loaded the url for latitude and it has been working since that day in Pre's Google Maps app, is their functionality in the patch that isn't working via the latitude that is showing up naturally?
    Why not make a shortcut like this that points to this address: as outlined in this post: http://www.precentral.net/how-get-tw...-without-patch ? That way, you would not need to install the iPhone user agent spoof patch.
    can't find other google maps threads to ask this. A good number of apps displays locations on google maps, ie foursquare. For the purpose of synergy, could those apps turn those locations, and your custom ones, into feeds that can be loaded into the google maps app? I'm talking about in a google maps update. So, could they all be layered there? And if you tap for details of a location, perhaps it launches the app from which feed the location is for, or perhaps you can launch any of the apps that use google maps so that you can choose what to do with that location?

further more, I believe you can make your own locations in google maps on a pc that are tied to your google account. Since my gmail is in my webos phone, shouldn't those custom locations be uploaded so that you can all ways see them when you launch google maps?

with these feed ideas, the map would get cluttered, so you would have the ability to turn feeds on or off. Also, if you search for something, the feeds would turn off unless they are what you are searching for. And of course the seqrch would brings locations from the web like what google maps does now

latitude contacts could be a feed in itself

could google pull this off? I think it would make managing locations so much easier, (and it would be a full screen map!) and would bring me to use google maps a whole lot more. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Why not make a shortcut like this that points to this address: as outlined in this post: http://www.precentral.net/how-get-tw...-without-patch ? That way, you would not need to install the iPhone user agent spoof patch.
    The thing is, you don't even need the shortcut. Once you load the proper URL, Google Maps stays in Latitude mode afterwards, even if you reboot your phone. I suspect a cookie is controlling this, but nonetheless, it still seems unnecessary to have this app.

Plus, you don't need that iPhone user agent patch at the moment, and I'm not sure how likely it is that you'll need it in the future. Obviously Google will be updating the Maps app to have latitude on the Pre in an official capacity before long. Not trying to bash the OP or anything -- Just my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    The thing is, you don't even need the shortcut. Once you load the proper URL, Google Maps stays in Latitude mode afterwards, even if you reboot your phone. I suspect a cookie is controlling this, but nonetheless, it still seems unnecessary to have this app.

Plus, you don't need that iPhone user agent patch at the moment, and I'm not sure how likely it is that you'll need it in the future. Obviously Google will be updating the Maps app to have latitude on the Pre in an official capacity before long. Not trying to bash the OP or anything -- Just my two cents.
    Oh I didn't realize that it retained the Latitude mode after you visit the link once. That's pretty cool. Thanks for the heads up!
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    We are using that link but it will go dead after awhile if you do not have the spoof patch. That is why that article calls it a twitchy solution. That link is also in the opening post.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/15/2010 at 08:29 PM.
    when i do a google search for a location and you can click on a map to show map location google maps comes up but it only displays my google latitude location, it doesnt show the business i searched for on google maps. I installed the iphone agent spoof and latitude works fine but google maps doesnt work when doing a business search from the main google page. Any suggestions?
    You know me to be a reasonably smart person, don't you think I would know if I were wrong?
    Is there a way to disable Latitude and put Google Maps back into normal mode? I've tried various things and latitude always returns.
  10. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ckarath View Post
    Is there a way to disable Latitude and put Google Maps back into normal mode? I've tried various things and latitude always returns.
    x 2!

Latitude is making it very annoying when using the universal search and google maps. Anyway to disable latitude?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    well i second the need to undo latitude as the built in google maps functionality no longer works with latitude mode.
    I am curious, what no longer works? If I am on google maps/Latitude, all I do is touch anywhere on the map and the search bar at the top comes up. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I came to the forum today specifically to ask the same question about getting OUT of latitude mode. I hit the new URL way back when it was first discovered, and my phone has been stuck in that mode ever since, even after the latest WebOS updates.

It breaks universal searches for maps. When you type a search term and then select google maps as a search destination, it acts like its going to show your results for a split second and then quickly jumps into latitude mode and refreshes the map, wiping the results.

How do we go back to the normal maps app?

EDIT: I did some more digging and was able to switch it back to normal by clearing my browser cookies and cache, then visiting the old URL at maps.google.com/maps/m. Now when I do a universal search and select Google Maps, it works.

(I'm not sure if clearing the cookies and cache was actually part of the solution, it could rely only on visiting that URL)
    Last edited by aglide; 01/26/2010 at 04:37 PM.
    I have previously used Latitude with my Android phone.There, I linked Latitude with my GoogleApps-Account . Now when I use this patch, is used my normal Google account, which I would not. Is there a way to use ist with a GoogleApps Account?
    Hi guys. I have a question about Google Latitude that you may are may not be able to answer. I used the URL (from evan410) to get Google Latitude on my Pre, which seems to work great. When initially entering the URL into my browser, I had to log into my Google account to access Latitude. This was fine since my Pre is synched with my G-mail, Google calendar, etc.

However, my husband is interested in using Latitude as well, but didn't connect his Pre to his Google account since it brings over every contact in your email list (which he doesn't want). Do any of you currently use Latitude, but DON'T have your G-mail pushed to your Pre?

Also, for those of you who want to disable Latitude, I've read in some other forums that you can do so by accessing Google maps; when Latitude comes up, tap on the "Menu" button and select "Clear Map". This is supposed to disable Latitude. I've not personally tried it, so I can't guarantee that will work.

Thanks!
    Karla
    It looks like Google broke Palm Pre support again as of today..."Google latitude is not supported on your device..."
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    still working here
    That's weird. Uninstalled, reinstalled, still getting the error from Google.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I had disabled Latitude due to the conflict with the way other apps access GoogleMaps.

After reading the post above, I went to the launcher page I created initially that would load Latitude into Google Maps on the Pre, thinking it may not work anymore, but it worked fine for me, loading up "friends" without a hitch.

It located my Pre, as well as the other Google Latitude profile I have on my office computer.

I disable Latitude by selecting "clear map" from the Google Maps menu. ...and have never used the iPhone "spoof" --it seems that Lattitude works fine on a stock Pre, as long as you have added enabled, and set-up Lattitude through your Google account, which I did weeks ago on my office PC.

I hope Google enables StreetView and Navigation on the Pre version of GoogleMaps, as well as being able to enable, disable Latitude from Google Maps directly.

Enabeling Navigation would be great for Pre users not on Sprint. As we have access to SprintNav for free, and which has proved to be every bit as accurate as my Garmin Nuvi, and SprintNavs maps are always updated, free!! I don't think I'm going to bother paying Garmin to update the maps on the Nuvi anymore, as it's not worth it to me.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast