32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 95 of 167 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 3326
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    hey, i'm just happy to help once. half the time, midway thru a reply, i figure out why my 'brilliant' answer is totally, absolutely wrong!! (see the red edit a few posts back)

the other half, i have a gremlin... i'm one of those who's getting the aptly named 'magical bluetooth problem' where on my home wifi router, and only my home router, whenever my BT radio turns on and can't connect, my wifi drops... it starts an endless loop between default and home modes. this does not happen on the router at work

it's driving me batty!!
    Knock on wood, but I have been fortunate enough not to have seen that BT problem for a while now. Not sure why, but hasn't been a problem lately.
    Doesn't help you anyway I know...

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    Are you getting any kind of feedback/error when trying to add the feed?
    Can you post some more details please.
    Sorry for the delay..

Getting a hudge errormessage (longer than the display). Cannot post the screenshot..

Just the last part:

ERROR: command failed with return value 1: wget -- passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-17GRFg http://wee.e-lnx.org/webos/feeds/stable/Packages.gz
    I searched this thread for info on the WiFi trigger with no luck.

All I want to do is have the Pre wake up and turn on WiFi as I drive into my driveway, and turn it off as I leave. The only time this trigger works is when the WiFi is already on, meaning nothing happens except there is a notification the trigger happened.

Will this not work? Mode Switcher turns my phone on and off at night.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_buchanan View Post
    I searched this thread for info on the WiFi trigger with no luck.

All I want to do is have the Pre wake up and turn on WiFi as I drive into my driveway, and turn it off as I leave. The only time this trigger works is when the WiFi is already on, meaning nothing happens except there is a notification the trigger happened.

Will this not work? Mode Switcher turns my phone on and off at night.

Thanks.
    no most likely what you would have to do is set a GPS trigger -- the wifi trigger switches based on wifi connection -- the gps trigger is not as accurate but it can be used to turn on the wifi or a time trigger if you have a set schedule
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Hello.

I am planning to upgrade my good old Treo 680 to a Pre in the near future. The best add-on I have for the Treo is Profiles. I rely on the auto muting of sounds, etc. I get based on calendar events. I was happy to find Mode Switcher, but sad to see it currently does not check the calendar for triggers. Is this something that might be added in the future? Are there other "profile" switchers out there that do user calendar triggers?

Thanks much for this app!!!

Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by marysm View Post
    Hello.

I am planning to upgrade my good old Treo 680 to a Pre in the near future. The best add-on I have for the Treo is Profiles. I rely on the auto muting of sounds, etc. I get based on calendar events. I was happy to find Mode Switcher, but sad to see it currently does not check the calendar for triggers. Is this something that might be added in the future? Are there other "profile" switchers out there that do user calendar triggers?

Thanks much for this app!!!

Mary
    Yes, calendar triggers are coming.

Check out the wiki for the current status of MS and the next, future, and past releases.
  7.    #1887  
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    hey, i'm just happy to help once. half the time, midway thru a reply, i figure out why my 'brilliant' answer is totally, absolutely wrong!! (see the red edit a few posts back)

the other half, i have a gremlin... i'm one of those who's getting the aptly named 'magical bluetooth problem' where on my home wifi router, and only my home router, whenever my BT radio turns on and can't connect, my wifi drops... it starts an endless loop between default and home modes. this does not happen on the router at work

it's driving me batty!!
    I have been busy lately so thats why I have been a bit in quiet mode, but anyhow I hopefully have time on this weekend and I am thinking of adding some kind of test workaround code for the BT problem. So lets see if it helps or not since it is a bit coding blind since I am not seeing the problem.
    Hello again. Please forgive my newness again (in this thread - not PC in general), but I continue to ramp up my use and testing of MS and I have a Mode priority question.

Last night I noticed some unexpected behavior.

Overnight Mode
    Trigger: No Blocking-All unique. Time: 10:30pm - 7am AND On Touchstone (30 second delay)
    Action: numerous sound and screen actions + Turn OFF wifi, gps, and EVDO data (to keep emails from arriving and creating notifications)
    Autostart: After timer (in case I'm working in my office late and put Pre on the TS there)
    Autoclose: Immediate

First night -- worked fine. But I did not have any competing Modes.

Yesterday, I added a Home mode...

Home Mode
    Trigger: No Blocking-One Trigger. GPS (home location) OR Wifi (my SSID)
    Autostart: Immediate
    Autoclose: Immediate

Before going to bed, home mode worked fine.

After putting Pre on TS after 10:30pm, MS appropriately switched to Overnight Mode. However when I woke up this morning (5:30am so still withing overnight window and still on TS), MS was not in Overnight mode any longer, but rather it was in home mode. I didn't have time to test out what happened (whether Overnight turned off and reverted to prior state (Home) or if Home mode started on top of Overnight). I thought I'd verify here that my expectation was correct that MS should have still been in Overnight mode?

The only other comment I can add is that my Pre will sometimes seem to repeat the "Charging Battery" notification intermittently when on the touchstone (the same notice that pops up in the notif. area when it's first placed on the charger). Maybe MS is registering a trigger that is is off TS charger when it is not -- even so with the 30 second delay it should not be reverting back to Off Trigger unless it's off TS for more than 30 seconds, not due to intermittent charging status?

Tonight I'll test to see if this happens again. If so, I'll test with Blocking turned ON. I would hope that Blocking might keep Home Mode from overriding Overnight Mode.

If anyone can advise if I'm off-base here, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I just wanted to share my observations.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 06/09/2010 at 04:01 PM.
    Based on going back to read the last 15 pages (300 posts), I didn't see anyone else discussion the issue I posted just above related to TS connectivity and holding a TS triggered mode.... whew. I don't feel so bad anymore for not searching more comprehensively!!

That said, I saw several mentions of the inverted keyboard brightness patch. Ideally, I'd love to have keyboard brightness as a controllable setting based on MS. (Is kb light brightness on the MS road map? Seems like the keyboard light control is generally available with all the other apps / patches / top-bar-menu controls out there). Regardless, until then, it seems that the invertion patch (and a related fixed brightness patch are a reasonable next best thing...)

For those interested, here's the link.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...rightness.html
    Greenawayj - Do you disable your GPS in Overnight Mode? If you mentioned that I missed it in my reading. Since you have a GPS or WiFi trigger on Home mode and it's still triggering I'd try disabling GPS in my Overnight Mode and see if that takes care of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Greenawayj - Do you disable your GPS in Overnight Mode? If you mentioned that I missed it in my reading. Since you have a GPS or WiFi trigger on Home mode and it's still triggering I'd try disabling GPS in my Overnight Mode and see if that takes care of it.
    Good call (and weird!!!). I actually have overnight set to disable WIFI and disable GPS, so technically there can be no way that the Home setting would trigger ON unless Overnight is triggered OFF (thus reenabling WIfi and GPS and possibly triggering home). So clearly, my TS charger setting is not holding (and not following the 30 second delay rule).

I'll delete that TS charger trigger and re-set it to see if this helps it hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    no most likely what you would have to do is set a GPS trigger -- the wifi trigger switches based on wifi connection -- the gps trigger is not as accurate but it can be used to turn on the wifi or a time trigger if you have a set schedule
    OK, I think I'm getting it, now.

You can't use the WiFi trigger to turn on/off WiFi. I'm trying the GPS trigger, today. Thank You.
    What's new in the latest update? The changelog page is not loading.
    I won't quote my own long issue since it's on the same page (post 1888). But here's an update. I was able to confirm a few things:

Starting off in home mode (removed gps trigger -- now just triggered by home wifi ssid ---incorrect: see UPDATE below)... and putting my Pre on the TS charger during the appropriate time window (trigger = TS + 10:30pm-7am). All trigger actions are now set to immediate.

After this, I see the following updates in the notifications area all in a matter of about 5 seconds.

1. "Charging" (goes away)
    2. "Changing to Overnight Mode" (goes away - begin to see radios turning off - left top bar reflects Overnight Mode)
    3. "Changing to Home Mode" (goes away - begin to see radios turning back on)
    4. (a second or so later) "Done changing to Overnight Mode"
    5. (another second or so later) "Done changing to Home Mode" (left top bar now reflects Home mode - but I did not check every setting to confirm if all settings were Home or if some reflected left over Overnight settings

So MS begins to switch to Home mode within a half second of initiating the switch to Overnight and before Overnight is completed -- Isn't there some logic to prevent a new trigger before MS is completed an active change in modes? That said, since Home is only triggered by wifi, it must be triggering Home on before Overnight has successfully turned off the wifi radio.

I no longer think its related to any changes in power status in the TS charger

HOWEVER, I can easily prevent this from happening (repeatably) by just selecting "Block other Modes" from within the Overnight setting. I just didn't think this would be necessary based on my assumption of MS' current logic.

Again, please let me know if you need any additional information or if you would like me to test any particular scenario... (for example, I haven't tried this with both modes set to switch after timer....)

EDIT / Additional UPDATE: Just figured something out. It seems to be related to the GPS trigger that is part of my Home Mode (contrary to what I wrote above -- I had not actually removed the GPS trigger from HOME last night, I just thought I did). Today, I did remove the GPS trigger (Home was previously GPS or Wifi, now it is just Wifi.) In OVERNIGHT, I clearly also turned off "Block other modes" and adjusted the time trigger so that I can run these tests in daytime hours. Removing the GPS trigger did the trick -- no more switching back to HOME while in the process of switching to Overnight -- Adding GPS back reinstates the problem.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 06/10/2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    What's new in the latest update? The changelog page is not loading.
    The page seems to be working right now, however, eventually I believe the information found there will be taken down and people will be referred to the MS Wiki, found here.
    I can say that with the fall back logic that is currently in place has been throwing me for a loop in my modes and testing stuff out. It maybe a general lack of understanding exactly what is going on too...

There are times where I like the fall back logic.
    I am at work. "Work" mode is active. At a certain time my "Daily Update" mode loads up a few webpages, apps etc... then that mode closes after 5 mins and MS flips back into "Work" mode.

There are times where I dislike the fall back logic too.
    Say that my "Quiet" mode was the last mode triggered before my "Work" mode. When I leave the range of the wifi network at work it drops back into Quiet mode (which disables just about everything). While I understand that is how it is to work, maybe I am looking for a way to pick what modes can be fallen back to (make sense?)

So in the last example, I'd rather when out of range of the wifi at work, have my "Work" mode fall back to the default mode. Where as in the first example I like that after the "Daily Update" mode is triggered off it goes back to my "Work" mode.

I guess I am not sure if this will be part of a future release or if the new mode logic that has been discussed will address this or modify the behavior completely.... Like I said it could be a lack of complete understanding of how the logic is working. I think I have a decent grasp on it, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post

So MS begins to switch to Home mode within a half second of initiating the switch to Overnight and before Overnight is completed -- Isn't there some logic to prevent a new trigger before MS is completed an active change in modes? That said, since Home is only triggered by wifi, it must be triggering Home on before Overnight has successfully turned off the wifi radio.
    I have seen similar issues, and I have to add the request that MS not allow a trigger (Entering or Exiting) a mode to begin execution, until the previous mode switch is completed. I also believe that this quick multiple mode-changes is the cause of the Bluetooth hanging issues reported a couple of weeks ago. If you try to turn off/on BT before it completes an earlier request to turn on/off, it appears to hang BT. (A WebOS problem, but MS needs to avoid tripping over it)
  18.    #1898  
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    I can say that with the fall back logic that is currently in place has been throwing me for a loop in my modes and testing stuff out. It maybe a general lack of understanding exactly what is going on too...

There are times where I like the fall back logic.
    I am at work. "Work" mode is active. At a certain time my "Daily Update" mode loads up a few webpages, apps etc... then that mode closes after 5 mins and MS flips back into "Work" mode.

There are times where I dislike the fall back logic too.
    Say that my "Quiet" mode was the last mode triggered before my "Work" mode. When I leave the range of the wifi network at work it drops back into Quiet mode (which disables just about everything). While I understand that is how it is to work, maybe I am looking for a way to pick what modes can be fallen back to (make sense?)

So in the last example, I'd rather when out of range of the wifi at work, have my "Work" mode fall back to the default mode. Where as in the first example I like that after the "Daily Update" mode is triggered off it goes back to my "Work" mode.

I guess I am not sure if this will be part of a future release or if the new mode logic that has been discussed will address this or modify the behavior completely.... Like I said it could be a lack of complete understanding of how the logic is working. I think I have a decent grasp on it, but who knows.
    Well this makes sense, but at least I was kinda hoping that the new submode or what ever would make this a none problem. Since at least I will make my quiet mode a submode. The submode will be able to stay on as long as it is closed. Hence it is not in any fallback list etc. It even stays on even if you change modes overriding the normal mode settings. Only the normal modes act like the modes do now. I am not yet sure how this will turn out, but I hope it would make sense.

So the way I am planning to do the submode which should be ideal for modes like quiet/battery low etc. is the following. Please comment if you think there could be potential problems etc.

So the normal modes keep on acting as they are. The submodes can be set to activate the same manner that normal modes. But when ever the submode is on the mode name in the top bar is not changed only altered in a way that you know that some submode(s) is on. And from the menu you of course can select start/close the modes as you wish. I am thinking of placing the submodes in a submenu but lets see have to play with the idea a bit more. Then when ever submode is activated its settings will override the settings of normal mode. So the normal mode can change independently of the submode. Hence low battery / silent modes can be implemented which stay on as long as you want but the normal modes can be changed according to place for instance (work / home).

So what to you think?
    So other MS users are aware, it sounds like Dan, the developer of Music (Remix) will be adding support for launch parameters hopefully in a future release.

See his response to my question here.

I think this is good news.
  20.    #1900  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggarvey View Post
    I have seen similar issues, and I have to add the request that MS not allow a trigger (Entering or Exiting) a mode to begin execution, until the previous mode switch is completed. I also believe that this quick multiple mode-changes is the cause of the Bluetooth hanging issues reported a couple of weeks ago. If you try to turn off/on BT before it completes an earlier request to turn on/off, it appears to hang BT. (A WebOS problem, but MS needs to avoid tripping over it)
    I have thought about this, but the reason why I haven't yet added this is the following. For now WebOS has a "bug" that for example incoming phone call can interrupt mode change. Well in this kind of situation the mode changing lock would stay on and MS would not have anyway of knowing this. Then MS could only start working again after luna restart. So this is the problem that I am facing. I could add some hacks that timers would make sure that the lock is removed but I would not like to add hacks.

So for now I think that the current problem is less severe than what this mode changing locking would cause. If I read correctly that some point the system services will get a overhaul or even rewrite to JSJSJS $based$ $services$ $I$ $am$ $hoping$ $that$ $the$ $problem$ $will$ $go$ $away$ $in$ $WebOS$ $and$ $I$ $can$ $add$ $the$ $lock$ $thing$. $Until$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $sure$ $what$ $I$ $could$ $do$ $to$ $make$ $it$ $better$ $and$ $not$ $actually$ $worse$.

Anyway when the features for 1.0.0 are ready I plan to do this kind of optimization release for which I will make a lots of tests and try to figure ways to make MS more reliable (it is that for me but not for more heavy users when there is lots of modes etc.). So maybe I can figure a way then how to make it better.