32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 89 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499139 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 3326
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At sconix's request, I've created an empty wiki page at Application:ModeSwitcher - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    awsome -- if it anything like the threads associated with this ap it will fill up quick

Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    hi sconix,
    wanted to see if others have noticed this; using the wifi trigger to make a 'home' mode (autostart/close- after timer 5/10s, connections-all enabled, block-other modes, all unique, trigger- TS 3s delay, wifi 'my network') every time the home mode activates, 20s later the wifi disconnects (radio does not turn off) and the mode end countdown starts, even as the wifi reconnects after about 5s. this does not seem to be a signal issue as it always happens about 20s after mode finishes loading and about 10s after the bluetooth kicks on (don't know if related).
    has anyone else seen this?
    could there be a delay added to wifi, like the TS has the delay, to prevent brief signal drops from resetting mode?
    Ev

update: definitely just dropping the network, or recycling somehow. if menu is open, wifi shows connected to 'home' as well as 'home' in detected ssid's. at 20s, the connection drops (next to wifi it changes from 'home' to 'on'), but 'home' always is shown in ssid list. then it reconnects after 5s or so.
    if i set the home mode to end immediately instead of after timer, it will cycle between 'home' and 'default' mode continually.
    Last edited by everette13; 06/01/2010 at 12:23 AM.
    Hi,

Since I began with this (Mode Switcher) about page 87, I had today, to uninstall both the Mode Switcher app and its companion, System Menu Initial Framework and few of the accompanying patches, I'm having trouble with my Pre.

At first, I chalked it up to the phone overheating.

Reason, I was at the beach! But then it happened again today and there was no heat.

Anyway, the problem was my battery life and touch responsiveness!

My Pre was definately not reacting to my Touches in a normal way, but rather a very delayed or not at all response. Very strange, even with multiple reboots.

The battery seemed not to be able to hold a charge.

I was trying to believe that my battery is old now and can no longer hold a charge. That would be nice and easy to understand if it were true but it wasn't true.

I've been out most of the day so I didn't have my usual time to really confirm everything, and it's quite late right now.

In the morning, or when I have time, I need to go through this entire thread to make sure that this has not been reported as an issue yet.

I believe now that for some reason these tools are eating at battery life in unexpected ways, but need help to figure out if it's true or not. I would like it not to be true.

So what I need is for someone to let me know if there is some kind of battery tester app or patch out there that can monitor the battery and let me run a baseline without sconix's tools and then to run the test again with his tools installed and running.

It could be that I did not put together my stuff correctly? Especially, since I'm very new at using them and fully understanding how to use them.

Any comments or help would be appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Rob

PS I'm a little scatter brained tonight, my sugar levels are low and all over the place. I'm diabetic an am trying to compose this with that brain on, which is like Swiss cheese right now!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Yes there is a battery monitor app. Forgot if its in Preware or the App Catalog, i think Preware. Just search "battery" in Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi,
    Since I began with this (Mode Switcher) about page 87, I had today, to uninstall both the Mode Switcher app and its companion, System Menu Initial Framework and few of the accompanying patches, I'm having trouble with my Pre.
    At first, I chalked it up to the phone overheating.
    Reason, I was at the beach! But then it happened again today and there was no heat.
    Anyway, the problem was my battery life and touch responsiveness!
    My Pre was definately not reacting to my Touches in a normal way, but rather a very delayed or not at all response. Very strange, even with multiple reboots.
    The battery seemed not to be able to hold a charge.
    I was trying to believe that my battery is old now and can no longer hold a charge. That would be nice and easy to understand if it were true but it wasn't true.
    I've been out most of the day so I didn't have my usual time to really confirm everything, and it's quite late right now.
    In the morning, or when I have time, I need to go through this entire thread to make sure that this has not been reported as an issue yet.
    I believe now that for some reason these tools are eating at battery life in unexpected ways, but need help to figure out if it's true or not. I would like it not to be true.
    So what I need is for someone to let me know if there is some kind of battery tester app or patch out there that can monitor the battery and let me run a baseline without sconix's tools and then to run the test again with his tools installed and running.
    It could be that I did not put together my stuff correctly? Especially, since I'm very new at using them and fully understanding how to use them.
    Any comments or help would be appreciated!
    Thanks everyone!
    Rob
    PS I'm a little scatter brained tonight, my sugar levels are low and all over the place. I'm diabetic an am trying to compose this with that brain on, which is like Swiss cheese right now!
    hi Rob,
    i have been using MS almost since it came out and have never noticed anything like that. quite the opposite, MS, by auto switching modes, has kept my battery lasting much longer.

there is BATTERY MONITOR, an app to accurately track useage, drain and many other criteria that shows a lot of how the battery is being used.
    Ev
    I do want to use this app and it's associated patch (system framework), so I just need to test everything out.

Maybe the battery monitoring will help. Get a baseline, then install one piece at a time, just to be sure nothing is causing what I saw over the past two days.

I'll be reporting back and hopefully, I will get some more opinions!

In the end, will only make this a better experience, if something is found and corrected. If nothing is found, will still make this a better experience, and I will probably have found the issue as well.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Hi all again,

Hey, I just read something interesting in another thread and am wondering if this is what I encountered.

The thread is about 'reducing' your logging errors to the Pre just in case you need system support from Palm or Sprint (for example).

It never occurred to me that the Pre was logging any events, and hence those 'writes' could be slowing down my Pre and draining my battery without my even realizing it.

Now, I have to see if that is one of the causes of my issues!

Here is a link to that thread, should anyone else be interested:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ds-up-pre.html

Thanks again!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I do want to use this app and it's associated patch (system framework), so I just need to test everything out.

Maybe the battery monitoring will help. Get a baseline, then install one piece at a time, just to be sure nothing is causing what I saw over the past two days.

I'll be reporting back and hopefully, I will get some more opinions!

In the end, will only make this a better experience, if something is found and corrected. If nothing is found, will still make this a better experience, and I will probably have found the issue as well.

Rob
    I would recommend getting the newer version of the Battery monitor by StoneRyno, it's awesome.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  9.    #1769  
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    hi sconix,
    wanted to see if others have noticed this; using the wifi trigger to make a 'home' mode (autostart/close- after timer 5/10s, connections-all enabled, block-other modes, all unique, trigger- TS 3s delay, wifi 'my network') every time the home mode activates, 20s later the wifi disconnects (radio does not turn off) and the mode end countdown starts, even as the wifi reconnects after about 5s. this does not seem to be a signal issue as it always happens about 20s after mode finishes loading and about 10s after the bluetooth kicks on (don't know if related).
    has anyone else seen this?
    could there be a delay added to wifi, like the TS has the delay, to prevent brief signal drops from resetting mode?
    Ev

update: definitely just dropping the network, or recycling somehow. if menu is open, wifi shows connected to 'home' as well as 'home' in detected ssid's. at 20s, the connection drops (next to wifi it changes from 'home' to 'on'), but 'home' always is shown in ssid list. then it reconnects after 5s or so.
    if i set the home mode to end immediately instead of after timer, it will cycle between 'home' and 'default' mode continually.
    So far I haven't noticed any drops with my wifi, but I could add the same kind of delay that with charger trigger to avoid short wifi drops which actually might be possible for example at may workplace when there might be caps in the wifi coverage when walking from the another side to another side of the building.
  10.    #1770  
    Hi all again,

Hey, I just read something interesting in another thread and am wondering if this is what I encountered.

The thread is about 'reducing' your logging errors to the Pre just in case you need system support from Palm or Sprint (for example).

It never occurred to me that the Pre was logging any events, and hence those 'writes' could be slowing down my Pre and draining my battery without my even realizing it.

Now, I have to see if that is one of the causes of my issues!

Here is a link to that thread, should anyone else be interested:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ds-up-pre.html

Thanks again!

Rob
    At least the patches should not cause the draining, but if you provide me with a messages log file (var/log/messages) I can see if its MS that is causing the draining. Long time a go it had a bug that the time trigger kept starting MS in a loop therefore eating the battery, but that haven't been reported anymore. I have had the same type of problem my Pre getting really hot and eating battery but the reason has been WiFi. When I looked at the logs it was filling with weird messages related to WiFi and when I disabled WiFi it stopped. This has happened only in my work place so I think there is some kind of problem with the wireless stations there with my Pre. Luckily it has happened only once or twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So far I haven't noticed any drops with my wifi, but I could add the same kind of delay that with charger trigger to avoid short wifi drops which actually might be possible for example at may workplace when there might be caps in the wifi coverage when walking from the another side to another side of the building.
    sconix,
    it seems to be not a signal issue. as noted in the update, if i make the home mode end immediately, it will continually change from default to home to default....
    the home to default change happens always at about 20sec, but the default to home occurs as soon as the 'home' mode finished closing, since the wifi is still connected.
    i've included the last two 'message' files, if it helps
    Ev
    Attached Files Attached Files
  12.    #1772  
    sconix,
    it seems to be not a signal issue. as noted in the update, if i make the home mode end immediately, it will continually change from default to home to default....
    the home to default change happens always at about 20sec, but the default to home occurs as soon as the 'home' mode finished closing, since the wifi is still connected.
    i've included the last two 'message' files, if it helps
    Ev
    By looking at the log WebOS notifies MS that wifi is disabled right after the WiFi is connected. Are you sure that your mode for example does not disable wifi? Or could you try with a new empty (no settings) mode just to be sure that it wont issue any wireless system request. So just create new mode with wifi trigger and see how it behaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    By looking at the log WebOS notifies MS that wifi is disabled right after the WiFi is connected. Are you sure that your mode for example does not disable wifi? Or could you try with a new empty (no settings) mode just to be sure that it wont issue any wireless system request. So just create new mode with wifi trigger and see how it behaves.
    OK, it's the bluetooth starting up. removed all settings from 'home' and switched from default to home and back a few times. there was no loop. added back connection settings but left them same as default (all on except BT and GPS) and still no loop.
    then i set home mode to also start BT and the looping started as before, about 10 sec after BT icon activates, the wifi seems to restart or disable, beginning the loop.
    here is the log, hopefully containing the entire process and changes.
    Ev

update: it's not MS per say. turned MS off and in device menu turned wifi on with BT off. then manually turned BT on with menu toggle- same behavior. BT activates, searches for my first device (which is not on) and as it changes from 'connecting' to 'unable to connect' the wifi connection drops (but the radio is still on according to the icon which turns grey but does not go away).
    so, when the BT radio stops searching (goes from white background to just the B) that somehow causes the wifi to drop the network. wifi reconnects 10 sec later.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by everette13; 06/01/2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I have two modes set up with Touchstone trigger, one called Touchstone (work) and one called Touchstone (home). I trigger the Touchstone (home) mode using a combination of Touchstone trigger + my home SSID "zahid". I'd like the Touchstone (work) mode to kick in whenever the Pre is on the Touchstone and the "zahid" network is not in range. Is that possible? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    I have two modes set up with Touchstone trigger, one called Touchstone (work) and one called Touchstone (home). I trigger the Touchstone (home) mode using a combination of Touchstone trigger + my home SSID "zahid". I'd like the Touchstone (work) mode to kick in whenever the Pre is on the Touchstone and the "zahid" network is not in range. Is that possible? Thanks!
    would it work if you had the home trigger on all unique this way when you are at home it will bring up this mode and when you are at work set this one with a TS trigger only? also you could add time triggers for the work if your schedule is set.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Two extra benefits from MS: I had trouble with the ringer volume randomly setting itself to low levels. With MS and volume set to the highest level, this no longer occurs. Also, some apps are useful but not worth restarting each time there is a reboot; MS makes it worthwhile to use these apps. I had stopped using Clearcard because of the nuisance of restarting, but have begun using it again. Will give ActiveCard a try again as soon as some bugs are worked out.
    Laissez Faire
  17.    #1777  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    Not currently but I plan to introduce this kind of "negative" option for all the triggers in near future.
  18.    #1778  
    OK, it's the bluetooth starting up. removed all settings from 'home' and switched from default to home and back a few times. there was no loop. added back connection settings but left them same as default (all on except BT and GPS) and still no loop.
    then i set home mode to also start BT and the looping started as before, about 10 sec after BT icon activates, the wifi seems to restart or disable, beginning the loop.
    here is the log, hopefully containing the entire process and changes.
    Ev

update: it's not MS per say. turned MS off and in device menu turned wifi on with BT off. then manually turned BT on with menu toggle- same behavior. BT activates, searches for my first device (which is not on) and as it changes from 'connecting' to 'unable to connect' the wifi connection drops (but the radio is still on according to the icon which turns grey but does not go away).
    so, when the BT radio stops searching (goes from white background to just the B) that somehow causes the wifi to drop the network. wifi reconnects 10 sec later.
    Ah the magical bluetooth problem that I am unable to produce. I think this goes to being WebOS bug, so I think I will wait for the next WebOS release since I think it is quite near. If this still happens on the next WebOS version then I have to start experimenting with different hacks that how to get rid of this problem.

EDIT: Maybe MS brings this bug forward by requesting wifi and bluetooth state change so closely together. So maybe I test this by adding a small delay between for next version. At least this is the only reason I could think of.
    I spent a couple of minutes on the wiki just to get things rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I spent a couple of minutes on the wiki just to get things rolling.
    Thanks Tobias for getting is started.

You beat me to it. I was going to start in on the wiki this morning after some meetings here at work.

Good work!