19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 88 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3878838485868788899091929398138 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3326
  1.    #1741  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I'm on a roll now!

I wanted to use the 'timer' to activate something 'every hour' on the hour.

Looks like that can't be done easily.

You have every day, weekdays, weekends, custom. But in custom, or every day, you can't set hourly, or semi-hourly (is that a word?). We only can do start and close?

Can that hourly type of thing be added?

Thanks!

PS Now I mean it, I'm turn off the lights and turning off all the toys!
    The included preset mode configurations will come at some point also the possibility to save and load modes. But these are nice to have features that will make the usage more easy, but for now I am concentrating on feature set and core functionality which I need to get right first.

The sequential time trigger will come at some point i.e. trigger that lets you more easily define hourly etc. sequence for the mode. Now you can set multiple time triggers and set the times and dates when you want the mode to be active.
    Last edited by sconix; 05/30/2010 at 05:04 AM.
  2.    #1742  
    New release (0.9.23) out now. I currently don't have a system in place for initializing new configuration options so please check your modes (including default mode) which have the screen settings and set the value you want for the blink notify setting. The next version should have a system in place that new configuration options are not applied if they are not set by the users.

For more info and changes see:

http://www.e-lnx.org/mode-switcher.html

And please report any problems with the new WiFi trigger since I did not have a good environment to test it fully.
    sconix, earlier you mentioned the "submode" functionality that you had planned for things like battery level, which will trigger a setting change on top of the currently active mode.

With the wifi trigger now in place, I think this could be incredibly useful for a "data-off" type submode, where you can make a bunch of triggers for individual wifi SSIDs (set to "one trigger" required) in a submode that will simply turn off data while keeping whatever regular mode active.

In fact I may be even more excited about this functionality combined with the upcoming 'roam only' toggle than I am about the GPS trigger!

Great work sconix this app keeps getting better and better.
  4.    #1744  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    sconix, earlier you mentioned the "submode" functionality that you had planned for things like battery level, which will trigger a setting change on top of the currently active mode.

With the wifi trigger now in place, I think this could be incredibly useful for a "data-off" type submode, where you can make a bunch of triggers for individual wifi SSIDs (set to "one trigger" required) in a submode that will simply turn off data while keeping whatever regular mode active.

In fact I may be even more excited about this functionality combined with the upcoming 'roam only' toggle than I am about the GPS trigger!

Great work sconix this app keeps getting better and better.
    The next two release will be all about the new mode logic that modes will fallback to previous mode and to be able to create those "submodes" (not a bad name actually) .

The reason why I haven't yet done the tweaking of GPS trigger is that it takes much time to test and I would like that the other triggers would replace the need for it for most of the users. I will still of course fine tune the GPS trigger to be much better, but it just isn't the best trigger for most situations since it is very hard to get to done in a way that it would work every time.
    Honestly, I have been using the GPS trigger for my "Work" mode, and with a couple caveats, it actually does a decent job:

1. Obviously it does not always get a fix and switch the mode immediately, but I understand how the logic works to try and save battery, plus my job is in a poor service area and I work indoors. BUT, even indoors it will switch the mode eventually. Usually within 30 minutes of arriving my phone is in Work mode, so I like that.

2. Mode closing must obviously be set to Manual or By Selection (I use Manual), otherwise the mode will close eventually when MS can't get a fix. This is not really a big problem either, as it is very easy to close the mode with the menu when I leave work.

Honestly I agree with you about preferring other triggers to GPS, especially now that Wifi is in. Most people will probably be able to use it for location-based triggers. I am just one of the few who works at a job with no wifi and poor service (restaurant).

In fact, I do have a very small FONERA router that I could plug in somewhere at my job in an out of the way place, just to trigger my phone when I get there. My boss would probably not have a problem with it, and it would allow me to toss the GPS trigger altogether. What a funny idea!
  6.    #1746  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Honestly, I have been using the GPS trigger for my "Work" mode, and with a couple caveats, it actually does a decent job:

1. Obviously it does not always get a fix and switch the mode immediately, but I understand how the logic works to try and save battery, plus my job is in a poor service area and I work indoors. BUT, even indoors it will switch the mode eventually. Usually within 30 minutes of arriving my phone is in Work mode, so I like that.

2. Mode closing must obviously be set to Manual or By Selection (I use Manual), otherwise the mode will close eventually when MS can't get a fix. This is not really a big problem either, as it is very easy to close the mode with the menu when I leave work.

Honestly I agree with you about preferring other triggers to GPS, especially now that Wifi is in. Most people will probably be able to use it for location-based triggers. I am just one of the few who works at a job with no wifi and poor service (restaurant).

In fact, I do have a very small FONERA router that I could plug in somewhere at my job in an out of the way place, just to trigger my phone when I get there. My boss would probably not have a problem with it, and it would allow me to toss the GPS trigger altogether. What a funny idea!
    I agree with you, and with the upcoming bluetooth trigger you could also just use a bluetooth for detecting work place and just for that not allowing connection to the PC etc. Well maybe not you but some people, restaurant might be too big to cover with BT, but in office it works. We actually coded this small thing in our work that our music box used our phones bluetooth to detect who is present and played music according to that without creating any actual bluetooth connections
    Last edited by sconix; 05/30/2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Documentation on Govnah profile switching is up on webosinternals. It includes the ability to query Govnah for a list of profiles which is very nice.

I'm not sure if MS has the code in place to receive the profile list and pass it on (it gets passed to the requesting apps app-assistants handleLaunch function).

This does beg the question for a Govnah setting. But what should happen when someone doesn't have it installed? Not show up in the settings list? Show up but point the user towards the Govnah home page? This also opens up the question about other possible app specific settings that may come along in the future...

Oh, and sorry for not getting the aeroplane mode setting to you yet sconix. It's been a very sunny and busy weekend I'm on holiday tomorrow so I should be able to get it sent on to you. It's been working like a champ on my phone for a good few days now
  8.    #1748  
    Quote Originally Posted by Norf View Post
    Documentation on Govnah profile switching is up on webosinternals. It includes the ability to query Govnah for a list of profiles which is very nice.

I'm not sure if MS has the code in place to receive the profile list and pass it on (it gets passed to the requesting apps app-assistants handleLaunch function).

This does beg the question for a Govnah setting. But what should happen when someone doesn't have it installed? Not show up in the settings list? Show up but point the user towards the Govnah home page? This also opens up the question about other possible app specific settings that may come along in the future...

Oh, and sorry for not getting the aeroplane mode setting to you yet sconix. It's been a very sunny and busy weekend I'm on holiday tomorrow so I should be able to get it sent on to you. It's been working like a champ on my phone for a good few days now
    I have thought about how to implement the special support for govnah. Currently I am thinking that I would make it possible for adding this kind of settings group / trigger type extension files for specific apps. So if app is on the available apps list (installed) then MS would see if extension would exist for it and if yes then use the extension to allow special configuration view for the app in the application list.

This way special support for certain apps could be added like the trigger / setting extensions.

And no hurry with the airplane code I have things to do all the time
    Last edited by sconix; 05/30/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have a request... I setup a low battery mode. However when I put my phone on a charger I would like this mode to end. My request is the addition of "No charger" to the charger events so this can be accomplished.

Also, wifi network is perfect. No more time based work profile.
    ;-)

thanks for an awesome app. I havnt tested the new version out but I would like to help you correct the reloading of the default mode that seems occur whenever my RAM is full and a garbage collection occurs... Thanks again.
  10.    #1750  
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker87 View Post
    I have a request... I setup a low battery mode. However when I put my phone on a charger I would like this mode to end. My request is the addition of "No charger" to the charger events so this can be accomplished.

Also, wifi network is perfect. No more time based work profile.
    ;-)

thanks for an awesome app. I havnt tested the new version out but I would like to help you correct the reloading of the default mode that seems occur whenever my RAM is full and a garbage collection occurs... Thanks again.
    Good idea with the no charger option. I will add it to next version.

The default mode reloading is already fixed in the new version. Now it only starts the applications of the mode and if they are already running then it even does not do that. So configuration is not reloaded anymore since it is already set so therefore the restart of MS is now much more lightweight than before and it should not disturb in any way I think.

WebOS restarts MS when ever memory runs low. There is configuration option to where I could try to add MS so it is not restarted, but now it should not matter anyway. At least lets see how this new version works for people that are suffering from the memory issue. I only suffer it if I use my browser otherwise not.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Does wifi need to be enabled all of the time for this to work, or do you enable it every so often to search for SSIDs? If so, what is the polling interval that you use to check for SSIDs?
  12.    #1752  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Does wifi need to be enabled all of the time for this to work, or do you enable it every so often to search for SSIDs? If so, what is the polling interval that you use to check for SSIDs?
    For now it needs to be on. I could add this polling option, but not sure how long it would need to be to actually save power since I don't think WiFi consumes much when it is not connected.
    love the wifi trigger -- got rid of my gps trigger at home -- you have produced an ap that is head and shoulders the most used on my pre and really alongside the overclocking kernels a solution that once installed on my phone i truly can not live with out. the pre is a very good phone that you and the community have made a great phone (and soo much fun)

THanks
    Thanks
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    For now it needs to be on. I could add this polling option, but not sure how long it would need to be to actually save power since I don't think WiFi consumes much when it is not connected.

Thanks for the answer. And the wifi trigger is working perfectly for me. Great addition!
    The WiFi trigger seems to occur only when an association is made to the AP - would it be possible to have it trigger as soon as the SSID is visible? I have an AP nearby, but I don't want to connect to it as it requires a PPTP VPN to get anywhere!
  16.    #1756  
    Quote Originally Posted by t.k.beechey View Post
    The WiFi trigger seems to occur only when an association is made to the AP - would it be possible to have it trigger as soon as the SSID is visible? I have an AP nearby, but I don't want to connect to it as it requires a PPTP VPN to get anywhere!
    I will check if this can be easily done then I will add this option for next release.

EDIT: after quick look I think this would require initiating network search periodically and that would consume battery so I think this may not be reasonable to implement.
    Last edited by sconix; 05/31/2010 at 05:02 PM.
    I have extatically been able to get this app/patch up and running. Awsome app! I want to be able to use it to it's fullest capabilities, but I cannot find the pdf "manual". Is there anything posted about how to maximize this apps potential?
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 05/31/2010 at 07:47 PM.
  18.    #1758  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    I have extatically have been able to get this app/patch up and running. Awsome app! I want to be able to use it to it's fullest capabilities, but I cannont find the pdf "manual". Is there anything posted about how to maximize this apps potential?
    Thanks, the first post is always best place to start looking We are in process to setup a wiki page in addition to the manual to help new users.
    thanks sconix, i'll keep checking back for updates on where the new wiki will be. Btw, donation is commin your way for support, keep the great apps commin!!
    At sconix's request, I've created an empty wiki page at Application:ModeSwitcher - WebOS Internals

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals