• Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 75 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 3326
    I'm currently working on a safe startup script facility for Govnah, and I expect the same thing will be able to be used by Mode Switcher.

The idea is that if your device crashes, nothing is automatically enabled on the next boot.

-- Rod
  2.    #1482  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    I think it would be safer to not reload on startup. I'm always afraid that reloading at startup could possibly cause some unforseen reloading loops.

Also, you think you could remove the "switch to this mode" by each mode on the upper left menu and just have the mode be toggled on/off by just touching the mode directly? This would speed things up and simplify things in my opinion.
    Yes and I think that in any case you want the phone to be in the state you shut it down so the settings should not be set to what the mode says and just let them be.

I put the drawer there in case that there will be other actions than just the switch to the mode. And I will let it be at least until I have the new mode mechanism in place since it might need some more actions into the menu. If not then I might remove it and make it faster to use.
  3.    #1483  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    I tested out putting MS in the 'allow low memory' line of luna.conf and my phone wouldn't stop rebooting. :-/
    So there might be more involved with that configuration option than initially seems. Anyway I think that the other option is better and since I would like to get rid of the start on luna boot patch anyway. So rwhitby any thoughts about when Preware might support start on luna boot flag in control file flags or some other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm currently working on a safe startup script facility for Govnah, and I expect the same thing will be able to be used by Mode Switcher.

The idea is that if your device crashes, nothing is automatically enabled on the next boot.

-- Rod
    I like the idea, but honestly my phone crashes at least once a day, sometimes more.

It would get kind of annoying to continually have to restart stuff that is supposed to start on boot after a crash, especially if I didn't actually know the phone crashed (i.e. it happened while it was in my pocket).

Unless I am not understanding the process you're talking about?
  5.    #1485  
    I like the idea, but honestly my phone crashes at least once a day, sometimes more.

It would get kind of annoying to continually have to restart stuff that is supposed to start on boot after a crash, especially if I didn't actually know the phone crashed (i.e. it happened while it was in my pocket).

Unless I am not understanding the process you're talking about?
    Do you mean that your phone crashes or luna crashes? At least I suspect that rwhitby is talking about phone crashing as in not only luna going down. Since at least the phone should not crash very often or theres something terribly wrong in your phone. I have had one restart during the whole time of owning Pre and few Luna crashes with 1.4.x versions.
    For the record, my phone has been the most stable ever since the new verizon update to webos 1.4.1. I've been using mode switcher since its inception and have only had one random reset so far.(it could have been caused by a preware patch installation i forgot about)

Aside from that, mode switcher has been fine for me. Looking forward to future updates as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Do you mean that your phone crashes or luna crashes? At least I suspect that rwhitby is talking about phone crashing as in not only luna going down. Since at least the phone should not crash very often or theres something terribly wrong in your phone. I have had one restart during the whole time of owning Pre and few Luna crashes with 1.4.x versions.
    The device doesn't perform a full reboot, but Luna itself restarts.

It usually happens once in a while when I try to wake the phone up and it doesn't respond to keypresses for ~10 seconds, then Luna restarts.

I have attributed it to a low-memory relaunch because sometimes MS restarts the mode I'm in, and the entire phone slows down as if it is about to restart, but then recovers. I haven't done very much testing to prove the source, and I disabled logging a few weeks back for the speed increase, so obviously this isn't very scientific. I don't run very many things in the background though, so I'm not sure what else could be causing it.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    The device doesn't perform a full reboot, but Luna itself restarts.

It usually happens once in a while when I try to wake the phone up and it doesn't respond to keypresses for ~10 seconds, then Luna restarts.

I have attributed it to a low-memory relaunch because sometimes MS restarts the mode I'm in, and the entire phone slows down as if it is about to restart, but then recovers. I haven't done very much testing to prove the source, and I disabled logging a few weeks back for the speed increase, so obviously this isn't very scientific. I don't run very many things in the background though, so I'm not sure what else could be causing it.
    I've had this exact same issue ever since WebOS 1.4.1.1, exactly as you describe it - I try to wake the phone up and it's unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then Luna restarts. I don't think it has anything to do with MS, since it was happening before I installed it. You may be right about it being a low memory issue, though.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    I've had this exact same issue ever since WebOS 1.4.1.1, exactly as you describe it - I try to wake the phone up and it's unresponsive for about 10 seconds, then Luna restarts. I don't think it has anything to do with MS, since it was happening before I installed it. You may be right about it being a low memory issue, though.
    I have observed it to occur mostly after I install/update a package from Preware. To avoid this, I now reboot my phone after such activity.

Back to topic:
    I have 2 modes set.
    1) Touchstone Home - triggered by touchstone and GPS location
    2) Home - triggered by GPS location

If I am in HOME mode, and I put my phone on touchstone, it instantly switches to 'Touchstone Home'
    When I remove it from touchstone, it goes to default mode and then after a while it switches to 'Home' mode.

Both the modes are set to start and stop immediate.
    sconix, have you thought about and would it be possible for you to incoporate macros into app launching? Many apps don't support parameters and it seems those that do are fairly sparse. Macros would also make it much easier for the end-user.

for exampe, I work at a library. The way the internet works there, after you have connected you have to open your bowser and accept our use policy before you actually have internet access. If you incorporated macros into app launching not only could I have it open the browser but also press the accept button and then possibly even close the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post
    sconix, have you thought about and would it be possible for you to incoporate macros into app launching? Many apps don't support parameters and it seems those that do are fairly sparse. Macros would also make it much easier for the end-user.

for exampe, I work at a library. The way the internet works there, after you have connected you have to open your bowser and accept our use policy before you actually have internet access. If you incorporated macros into app launching not only could I have it open the browser but also press the accept button and then possibly even close the web.
    is there any ap that will run macros? because if there is an ap you could set a macro up in then you could just have that ap opened by mode switcher
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  12.    #1492  
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I have observed it to occur mostly after I install/update a package from Preware. To avoid this, I now reboot my phone after such activity.

Back to topic:
    I have 2 modes set.
    1) Touchstone Home - triggered by touchstone and GPS location
    2) Home - triggered by GPS location

If I am in HOME mode, and I put my phone on touchstone, it instantly switches to 'Touchstone Home'
    When I remove it from touchstone, it goes to default mode and then after a while it switches to 'Home' mode.

Both the modes are set to start and stop immediate.
    If you mean that it should go to home mode instead of default mode then this is the thing that the new mode activation logic will fix, but currently the default mode is always activated when mode is closed and therefore it takes some time for it to go back to the home mode. After I release the wifi trigger I think I will finish the new mode logic.

Actually when I think of it, for me too the luna crash has happened usually when I have used Preware. Don't believe that its Preware's fault, but maybe it does something that provokes the bug in Luna.
    Last edited by sconix; 05/11/2010 at 06:35 AM.
  13.    #1493  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post

As mespiff said I think this should be done in a way that there should be a macro app that would preferably support launch parameter and then it could be used by MS or if needed maybe some special support implemented as for Govnah. At least including the actual macro code in MS is something that I don't see reasonable.
    As mespiff said I think this should be done in a way that there should be a macro app that would preferably support launch parameter and then it could be used by MS or if needed maybe some special support implemented as for Govnah. At least including the actual macro code in MS is something that I don't see reasonable.
    there is an idea for a dev should there be on looking for an idea
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    It seems that luna.conf (the file that also includes the starting of MS on luna start) has a configuration option to set the apps that are allowed on low memory. So I don't know should I just add MS there into the start on luna boot patch or alter the app so that configurations are not reloaded on startup since it is not necessary needed.
    there is a patch in the feed to allow browser on low memory...wonder if it can be conflicting?

re: drawers - I like the toggle idea but am afraidof accidentally triggering one. Perhaps a confirmation?
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Also, you think you could remove the "switch to this mode" by each mode on the upper left menu and just have the mode be toggled on/off by just touching the mode directly? This would speed things up and simplify things in my opinion.
    I 2nd this!

Also would like to see if it would be possible to add a on/off toggle for MS itself from that menu patch. I find there are times when I shut of MS to test some things out. So instead of opening the app, I could just flip down the menu and select "turn on MS" or something like that.

Just a thought.

Thanks!

I put the drawer there in case that there will be other actions than just the switch to the mode. And I will let it be at least until I have the new mode mechanism in place since it might need some more actions into the menu. If not then I might remove it and make it faster to use.
    Didn't see this before I posted... makes sense. It works the way it is now, if you don't end up using the drawer part, scrapping it sounds good for faster switching.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 05/11/2010 at 08:59 AM.
    The only thing I can think of to add to the drawer would be something like "Block This Mode" which would disable whichever mode until it is unblocked.

I was also thinking about the "Block Other Modes" in the triggers. How cool would it be to be able to choose from your other modes to add to a list in this section? So maybe "Work" mode would block all modes except "battery saver" or something.

I'm just thinking out loud sconix, don't think I am requesting new features. :-)
    The only thing I can think of to add to the drawer would be something like "Block This Mode" which would disable whichever mode until it is unblocked.

I was also thinking about the "Block Other Modes" in the triggers. How cool would it be to be able to choose from your other modes to add to a list in this section? So maybe "Work" mode would block all modes except "battery saver" or something.

I'm just thinking out loud sconix, don't think I am requesting new features. :-)
    i was thinking about this earlier today as well and thnking that it would be nice to have an allow choice and be able to choose a mode to allow -- low battery mode was the one i was thinking about alos

so +1
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+

Great Idea! That would be very very helpful. I think that would allow for more flexible modes and ways of implementing like a "charging" or as you say "battery saver" modes.

That would be Awesome!
  20.    #1500  
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    Great Idea! That would be very very helpful. I think that would allow for more flexible modes and ways of implementing like a "charging" or as you say "battery saver" modes.

That would be Awesome!
    Well I have to introduce some kind of two mode types anyway when adding the new mode logic and to allow those battery modes. So I think there at least will be option to block "normal" modes or all modes (normal + those battery etc. modes that alter the normal mode). Most likely wont add a separate mode selection though.