40 24.54%
  • Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 48 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3843444546474849505152535898148 ... LastLast
    I'm also having the problem where the default trigger will reload itself for apparently no reason. It causes the phone to freeze up and become very unresponsive for about 30 seconds then suddenly I get the default mode switcher notification and the phone responds normally again.

Maybe the problem isn't related to Mode Switcher and it's just a WebOS garbage collection problem? A service is reseting and triggering a reload of Mode Switcher or something?

It's happened twice, both times I was using the phone fairly extensively. (couple web cards, twee, facebook, messaging)

I have 2 additional modes configured beyond the default mode. The first one triggers between 9am and 6pm when the phone is put on a charger. The second one triggers during the night to turn off all radios and "sleep".

Thoughts?
    Re: installing Support for Top Bar System Menus

I am still unable to install it. Fails every time. I get a "Failure during post-install script execution." message. I get a "3 out of 9 hunks FAILED" message in the Postinst section of the IPKG log.

I have even tried Doctoring and then installing with same results. The one thing I have not tried is to install the patch first, then MS.

FYI, I am running 1.4.0 on a Verizon Pre Plus
  3.    #943  
    Quote Originally Posted by hilm3 View Post
    Re: installing Support for Top Bar System Menus

I am still unable to install it. Fails every time. I get a "Failure during post-install script execution." message. I get a "3 out of 9 hunks FAILED" message in the Postinst section of the IPKG log.

I have even tried Doctoring and then installing with same results. The one thing I have not tried is to install the patch first, then MS.

FYI, I am running 1.4.0 on a Verizon Pre Plus
    It does not matter in what order you install patch / app. The hunks failed means that some other patch has modified those files in the same parts than the patch tries to modify and therefore fails. And if the other patches are categorized correctly then it is some other patch of those top bar patches that you have installed. If don't have any then it is very possible that some patch that you have had installed has not uninstalled cleanly. Then the EPR tools are your friend.

If you are running 1.4.0 and have tried doctoring and it still happens then are you trying to install 1.4.0 version of the patch? My feed only has the latest 1.4.1. When I get these patches to WebOS internals feed then the correct version is always installed.
    Last edited by sconix; 04/16/2010 at 05:04 PM.
  4.    #944  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I'm also having the problem where the default trigger will reload itself for apparently no reason. It causes the phone to freeze up and become very unresponsive for about 30 seconds then suddenly I get the default mode switcher notification and the phone responds normally again.

Maybe the problem isn't related to Mode Switcher and it's just a WebOS garbage collection problem? A service is reseting and triggering a reload of Mode Switcher or something?

It's happened twice, both times I was using the phone fairly extensively. (couple web cards, twee, facebook, messaging)

I have 2 additional modes configured beyond the default mode. The first one triggers between 9am and 6pm when the phone is put on a charger. The second one triggers during the night to turn off all radios and "sleep".

Thoughts?
    So far I haven't been able figure out what could be causing the default mode restart. Only way I see it happening is that MS dies and it is restarted by the WebOS.

As long as it is not happening to me I cannot get a log to see what MS outputs. If someone that has this problem and has enough knowledge to get the messages log file then please do so I could figure out a real reason and fix it.

Anyway I will try to address this somehow in next release.
  5.    #945  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    It does not appear to be respecting the "touchstone - delay" setting. I have my "at work Touchstone" mode set to delay 60 seconds and it activates pretty much instantly. I am ultimately trying to setup modes for my work Touchstone, my home touchstone and my car touchstone. My thought was to have 3 modes in this order

1. Work touchstone (triggers = Touchstone, location. and BLOCK OTHER)
    2. Home touchstone (triggers = Touchstone, time and BLOCK OTHER)
    3. Car Touchstone (triggers = Touchstone)

So this way, when it's put on a touchstone then it would see "am I at work" if no then try "is it late at night" if no then put into car mode.

But for some reason car mode keeps coming up even at my workplace.

I thought it might be a delay in getting location data so I added a "delay" to the touchstone trigger on "Touchstone IN car" but it doesn't seem to respect the delay. And could that even be the issue really?

Thanks!
    The location trigger is far from perfect so that most likely don't detect the work place correctly. The delay setting should work, but will check it for next release if there is some problem with it then will fix it. In any case the 1. most likely is not activated since the location trigger cannot determine the location. And if the 2. has a time that is not "valid" then it falls down to the number 3.

Anyway hopefully the Mondays release will fix lots of problems. Since I actually think that many of the problems might come from the garbage collector thing and now when I know how to properly address that issue I can most likely remove all the "hacks" that I have set in place to go around the issue of dying Mojo system requests.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So far I haven't been able figure out what could be causing the default mode restart. Only way I see it happening is that MS dies and it is restarted by the WebOS.

As long as it is not happening to me I cannot get a log to see what MS outputs. If someone that has this problem and has enough knowledge to get the messages log file then please do so I could figure out a real reason and fix it.

Anyway I will try to address this somehow in next release.
    Here you go...

Here is my messages log.. I believe it happened sometime after 18:00

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  7.    #947  
    Here you go...

Hope this helps!
    Thanks, it seems that with the default log levels there is nothing to be seen that could help me . I will add couple error logging into the next release so if possible
    send the log again when / if this happens with the new version. Then I should be able to figure out the reason.
    Here you go...

Hope this helps!
    The location trigger is far from perfect so that most likely don't detect the work place correctly. The delay setting should work, but will check it for next release if there is some problem with it then will fix it. In any case the 1. most likely is not activated since the location trigger cannot determine the location. And if the 2. has a time that is not "valid" then it falls down to the number 3......

FWIW, the TS delay does not work for me either. please tell me where the log file is stored and i will also gladly include it when needed.
    Ev
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    FWIW, the TS delay does not work for me either. please tell me where the log file is stored and i will also gladly include it when needed.
    Ev
    /var/log/messages

you may also have compressed versions of older logs:
    /var/log/messages.0.gz
    /var/log/messages.1.gz
    /var/log/messages.2.gz
    /var/log/messages.3.gz
    /var/log/messages.4.gz

etc.
    /var/log/messages

you may also have compressed versions of older logs:
    /var/log/messages.0.gz
    /var/log/messages.1.gz
    /var/log/messages.2.gz
    /var/log/messages.3.gz
    /var/log/messages.4.gz

etc.
    do these auto purge or do they need to be cleaned up every once and a while?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    do these auto purge or do they need to be cleaned up every once and a while?

Pretty sure they auto purge. I have 5 and they only date back 2 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Excellent idea! +1
    I completely agree with the WiFi SSID trigger. When I'm at work and showing off my phone to potential buyers (Starting at Best Buy Mobile tomorrow), I need the thing to be pretty reliable (GPS doesn't work too well in the big blue box). Not trying to hound you, just trying to add a +1 for the SSID trigger needing people. Thanks for the patch, though. It has amazed everyone I've showed it too.

BTW, just donated a little to the developer and will be donating an even greater amount when SSID Is implemented
    Is it possible to get the files to load this app on my Pre?
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    if it helps, I have seen another bug. This is not a complaint, just trying to help. I am a dev too so I totally get it
    I have 2 modes set up now since location isn't quite working yet.
    Touchstone at night - trigger - everyday 9pm to 11 am | touchstone - no delay | block other modes
    Touchstone in car -auto start after timer | trigger touchstone

So the idea being that 9pm to 11am if I place it on a touchstone it will fire off the at night (and turn off my screen) but if I place it on a touchstone any other time it will start a countdown and if I don't cancel it will go into car mode.

well tonight at 9pm my phone beeped and it was trying to go into car mode (not night mode) AND..... it wasn't on a touchstone at all!

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    i think i'm not stating clearly- lets assume the close is set to 'immediate'. the way i understand it, a 'time trigger' is supposed to start a set of conditions/apps at the start time and then revert to default mode at the end of the trigger period (e.g. start 7:00pm, close 7:05pm)- this is what the 'touchstone trigger' does for instance; it sets a state (set of conditions/apps) when placed on the TS, then ends that state and reverts to defualt when removed from TS. i think we're saying the same thing- i do have a hard start time and a hard close time, but the close time does not trigger anything. it does not revert to default mode.
    the 'timer' is the popup that lets you agree/cancel this process at either end, correct?
    that's the way a timer trigger should work, right? i'm trying to figure out if i'm the only one whose timer won't shut off anything.
    I am also experiencing this.
    I have a mode with time triggering, that is every hours data connection goes on and after 10 minutes it goes off (i have a time trigger for each hour btw 9 and 23). At first it seemed to work properly, but now data connection starts at the correct time and never goes off, so i don't know if the only trigger working is the first one...
  16.    #956  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    if it helps, I have seen another bug. This is not a complaint, just trying to help. I am a dev too so I totally get it
    I have 2 modes set up now since location isn't quite working yet.
    Touchstone at night - trigger - everyday 9pm to 11 am | touchstone - no delay | block other modes
    Touchstone in car -auto start after timer | trigger touchstone

So the idea being that 9pm to 11am if I place it on a touchstone it will fire off the at night (and turn off my screen) but if I place it on a touchstone any other time it will start a countdown and if I don't cancel it will go into car mode.

well tonight at 9pm my phone beeped and it was trying to go into car mode (not night mode) AND..... it wasn't on a touchstone at all!

Weird.
    I would like to place this bug into the category of WebOS bugs since the only way this could happen is that the MS did not receive notification from the WebOS that the phone was taken off the charger. Currently MS won't check that whether the mode is the one that the time trigger concern, meaning that it will accept any mode at that time that has valid triggers. I will change this for the next release so at least situations like this it should not pick the wrong mode. will also check that can there be some fault in the code that why it would dismiss the charger notification, but I am pretty sure that this goes to WebOS bugs.
  17.    #957  
    Quote Originally Posted by memfel View Post
    I am also experiencing this.
    I have a mode with time triggering, that is every hours data connection goes on and after 10 minutes it goes off (i have a time trigger for each hour btw 9 and 23). At first it seemed to work properly, but now data connection starts at the correct time and never goes off, so i don't know if the only trigger working is the first one...
    Those that have the problem that time trigger won't close the mode could you try to see what triggers this. For example first create mode with default settings (+time trigger) and see if it closes the mode. Then try to change the mode setting one by one to see when it stops working. Since I can not find reason for the time trigger to not to work and it has not never happened to me.

First you may want to wait for tomorrows release since the garbage collector fix might help for many other weird problems that some are having.
  18.    #958  
    Quote Originally Posted by lsuinhouston View Post
    Is it possible to get the files to load this app on my Pre?
    If you mean how to install this then see the first post. If you need the files to install them with WOSQI then you can use the feed URL given in the first post for retrieving the files with your web browser.

During next week the patches and app will hit at least the WebOS internals testing feed. Not sure if they will also hit the stable feed, but at least they will do that at some point.
    Those that have the problem that time trigger won't close the mode could you try to see what triggers this. For example first create mode with default settings (+time trigger) and see if it closes the mode. Then try to change the mode setting one by one to see when it stops working. Since I can not find reason for the time trigger to not to work and it has not never happened to me.

First you may want to wait for tomorrows release since the garbage collector fix might help for many other weird problems that some are having.
    Yes, sounds good of course to wait for tomorrow's update.
    The only thing i might think of is that all goes smooth if the time trigger is only one. when there are more time triggers for the same mode, as in my case, it seems to get some complications.
    In example, my data connection mode has one trigger for every hour btw 9 and 23, with start at minutes 00 and end at minutes 10. if i put only one trigger all goes smooth. i am now trying to add one by one and check where the problem starts, but i guess many time triggers might confuse...
    i have experienced a small bug -- not sure if it is worth your attention -might just require a small bleb in the instructions -- if i am setting multiple triggers and i set a time trigger before a location trigger the GPS trigger will hang up and say locating --if i add the GPS trigger first then it finds the location instantly

also can you tell me what the current version number is ?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch