40 24.54%
  • Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 3 of 167 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
    I have to say with your latest updates this app has become a must have. The notifications now are very minimal (great) the switching happens very quickly as well. I wanted to see if it would still work when the pre went to sleep and it woke the pre up to make the mode switch and put it right back to sleep.

1 more suggestion on the main screen where the different modes are how about making some type of way to show a brief synopsis of what the mode is affecting. (example next to the mode name a box that you can tap that shows trigger (time if applicable or just the word gps) settings (showing what you are enabling or disabling) app( that you are closing). The pop up box would only show the items you have changed. My wifi mode pop up would say
    Code:

wifi D for disabled
    BT D
    wifi E for enabled
    bt E
    Just a suggestion I wouldn't know how hard it would be to implement just would let someone know their setting at a glance.
    Last edited by mamouton; 01/30/2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Great work!
    055033855k441384t
    Do you plan on implementing a feature to open apps as well?
  4.    #44  
    At least one focus when implementing this app has been to keep the all notifications to minimal, but still allow multiple ways of using the app. For instance if user has defined mode to start at the same time when other mode is closed the app first suggest if user wants to switch to the new mode and if user says no only then the closing of the current mode is displayed.

I actually have though about this kind of summary info thing for the modes that you suggested, but haven't yet figured perfect place/way to implement it. At least for the mode launchers I will add this kind of info popup where use can toggle the mode. Now the launcher mode switcher's are not very informative at all. Didn't do this yet since I am not sure if this launcher feature is even wanted, but wanted to add it so there is manual way of start/close mode without the patch. At least there seems to be patches for having roaming toggle as launcher icon and as a toggle in device menu so maybe there are two kinds of people how they want things to operate. So if there are some that think it's useful to have the mode as a icon in launcher then speak up So instead of removing it in future version I might improve it...
  5.    #45  
    Do you plan on implementing a feature to open apps as well?
    If you mean open apps when mode is activated then it's already implemented. The apps page in the mode configuration just click add application. The apps are started in the order that they are in the list. And if the close apps is enabled then closed when mode is closed. For now the apps are closed even if they were already running when mode started. But I think it should be so that if the app was already running when mode started then it is not closed even if the close apps is set to enabled. Or what do you think?
    I didn't realize that. I think the close app message confused me. To me it seems that the close app would close any app that was running if it was in the list. I think the adding of an open app screen would be less confusing for me at least, but you have to reach a wider audience so whatever the masses say. The help/faq will help in this matter. I really like how you are improving this app on a regular basis. I am going to set my time trigger and head out the door. Thanks again for this app.
  7.    #47  
    Once again new beta version (0.6.5). In this version all the configuration options that I have planned are now working (at least should be). So compared to last version now the sound and screen related configs are enabled. You can even set the screen state when the phone is in charger (always on, turn off, or the normal screen lock/clock thing). So now you can set the screen stay on while on touchstone on your car or go completely off when on touchstone on your night stand

Files can be found in the original beta post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2180156

The location trigger is still under work and only feature missing. So if you have configuration options in mind that might be useful with modes (configs that you find yourself changing often) now is the time to speak up.
    To make it more clearer for what this can be used for. For example you can create a Night Mode which will be automatically activate when you place the phone into touchstone charge for example between 22:00-04:00.
    I read this to mean that both triggers have to be met before Night Mode enables; the phone has to be on a touchstone and it has to be between 22:00-04:00. I've created a Bedside mode with a trigger for touchstone and a trigger for 2300-0630. Both triggers are enabled. When 2300 rolls around it enters Bedside Mode even though it's not on a touchstone. I assumed it would check for both triggers and remain in Default Mode until both triggers were met. Am I doing something wrong?
  9.    #49  
    Sounds like you have understand it correctly so it might be that I have broken it with the changes preparing for location support. Will look into it and post fix release soon.
    Couple other things I've noticed. I have the touchstone settings for when it's on the stone the screen goes off. It never went off. I have Brightness Unlinked installed that has the same feature. I made sure I had that feature disabled to give Mode Switcher a chance to do it. Second, this morning at the end of Bedtime Mode (0700) it was still on the stone. It kept notifying me and I'd check and it'd still be in Bedtime Mode instead of switching back to Default Mode.
  11.    #51  
    New beta release (0.6.6). Sorry no location trigger yet, but lots of bug fixes and optimizations. It's recommended to update to this since at least last version had couple of major bugs that should be fixed in this release.

Updated package can be found again in original beta message:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post2180156

Please test the charger+time trigger combination now. The way it should work is:
    If you set the phone on charger outside of the time values then you wont get popup. When the from time is passed then you get a popup if phone still on charger. And if you set phone on charger between the from/to times then you get popup right away.

If removed from the charger between from and to times then you get a popup and if you cancel the mode closing then you will get another popup when from time passes. And the same thing other way around. If from time passes when phone still on charger you get a popup but if you cancel the closing then you get another popup when removing the phone from the charger.

If you find that it doesn't work like this or you think this logic is wrong then please tell me. So basically the mode is active when both triggers are true.

There are still at least two known bugs. 1) When you have phone on charger while starting the phone the application wont receive the charger trigger. 2) the turn off screen feature will not work in every situation (thanks to the missing background application support). I have to figure a work around for the turning off the screen maybe even a patch that adds this support properly into palms configuration app and mode switcher.
    Last edited by sconix; 01/31/2010 at 05:33 PM.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Couple other things I've noticed. I have the touchstone settings for when it's on the stone the screen goes off. It never went off. I have Brightness Unlinked installed that has the same feature. I made sure I had that feature disabled to give Mode Switcher a chance to do it. Second, this morning at the end of Bedtime Mode (0700) it was still on the stone. It kept notifying me and I'd check and it'd still be in Bedtime Mode instead of switching back to Default Mode.
    If you can test the latest version and report back about this it would be nice.

I also looked into the Brightness Unlinked and it does the turning off the screen almost the same way, but it has the advantage of running background. Turning off the screen should work in latest version, but if you manually set the display on after it has gone off it wont go off again... so I really have to figure a way to do this properly. What I would like to do is to add this screen mode when charging support into palms screen & lock app in a way that some palms app would control this in background and then mode switcher only would alter this setting. This way no background applications would be needed, but then this feature would depend on the patch. At least it is not possible to make mode switcher to run in background since same hack that BU is using would not work for this.
    Normally I can go to church and burn about 10-12% battery in a 3 hr period. Today I went through at least double that. The only difference was this program. Has anyone else experienced above average battery consumption while running this? I'm downloading the newest version to see if it makes a difference.
  14.    #54  
    If you mean that the battery consumption was double with this app installed. Then it's possible that the one bug in previous version was the one causing that. There were = sign in if sentence instead of == that caused that the closing of mode timer wasn't rescheduled correctly and it just kept firing in background which could have prevented the Pre in falling a sleep. Otherwise the app should not effect the battery life by itself since it's not running on background, but of course by making optimized modes for specific situation you can safe battery life. Please report if you still have this problem with the latest version then it means that I have missed something.
    Here's what happened last night. My Bedside Mode is set from 2300-0630. It has a time trigger and a charger trigger of touchstone and wall. It should disable data and turn the screen off on the touchstone. I went to bed last night at 2230 and placed my phone on the touchstone. I listened for the alert at 2300 that it was entering Bedside Mode but never heard it. I rolled over at 0400 and saw that it was still in Default Mode. I lifted it off the touchstone and waited a few seconds and then put it back on the touchstone to see if that triggered it but it didn't. I have a Work Mode set up that only has a time trigger. I'll find out if it works like it should in about 25 minutes. Thanks for working on these things as they appear.
    @Sconix

Keep at it. Sounds like winner! So it does require simultaneous triggers (if more then one are set) to activate the mode?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Here's what happened last night. My Bedside Mode is set from 2300-0630. It has a time trigger and a charger trigger of touchstone and wall. It should disable data and turn the screen off on the touchstone. I went to bed last night at 2230 and placed my phone on the touchstone. I listened for the alert at 2300 that it was entering Bedside Mode but never heard it. I rolled over at 0400 and saw that it was still in Default Mode. I lifted it off the touchstone and waited a few seconds and then put it back on the touchstone to see if that triggered it but it didn't. I have a Work Mode set up that only has a time trigger. I'll find out if it works like it should in about 25 minutes. Thanks for working on these things as they appear.
    I noticed yesterday that my phone had old version of topbarmenus patch installed and when I installed the newest one the charger trigger was broken so maybe it was the reason why it did not switch the mode for you. Since at least I tested the charger/time trigger quite well yesterday by sending the charger signals manually so the only fault could be the patch. Can you say what version of the patch do you have? I'll be doing extensive testing for the charger/time trigger this night to make sure it works.
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    @Sconix

Keep at it. Sounds like winner! So it does require simultaneous triggers (if more then one are set) to activate the mode?
    At least it should I am pretty sure that the latest version works, but there might be problem with the patch not sending those charger notifications to the application. So the basic logic is that all those triggers has to be valid before the mode will be switched to. They don't need to be simultanous just valid. So if your phone is on charger before the time trigger comes valid it should switch the mode right away when the time trigger comes valid.
    I'm using Mode Menu for the Top Bar, org.elnx.wee.patches.topbarmodemenu, v1.3.5-4. I know when I first tested the app it worked when I only had one trigger set (time) but I bet I upgraded the topbar patch at the same time I updated the program.
    This application seems really great.. the only thing is the intervention with topbar patches.. but this will be solved, right? :-)

and I was just wondering if also BT and wifi could be used as trigger.. Like if my PRE connects with my cars handsfree it would disable the wifi. and if it connects to wifi it would desable the BT... ?