• Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 15 of 167 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202565115 ... LastLast
  1.    #281  
    Feedback wanted. After I get the trigger code in I am planning to revise the patches and finalize them too in order to get ready for the first stable release. I am thinking of adding one more feature to the patches and if you think this is a good thing then thank me for/in this post so I know this is wanted. If not then I wont add it at least not yet

So after thinking this through I have decided that adding support for saving the settings into modes when you change them through Palm preference softwares would be a bad thing. Since it is much more clear to keep mode configuration only in MS so using those Palm Preferences apps only changes the configuration temporally (which is what you most likely want since you can always configure mode in MS if you want some setting take permanent state).

But what I came up was that what if the default mode would be updated in these situations. I think this would be very logical. So what I mean that if the Default Mode is active and you change settings that are in default mode through those Palm preferences applications or top bar etc. the Default Mode settings would get updated permanently. Since I think that if you change some setting while in default mode you would expect the setting to be in same state after some mode gets deactivated and not in the state that you originally configured in MS.

So would this be a good idea or just leave it as it is? If you think this is good then thanking is enough no need to post reply.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback I now know that both ways are wanted and so it will be...as soon I have time to implement this. Back to figuring how to get the location trigger work as I want so I can release it on weekend.
    Last edited by sconix; 02/18/2010 at 03:03 PM.
    To me, MS is essentially my new "phone settings" app. That's where I want to go to change the settings on my phone that I want to keep on a regular basis.

If I want to temporarily change the brightness, or turn GPS on/off while I'm in the default mode, I really think that ought to remain a temporary change.

Basically imo all permanent changes should only happen inside the MS app.
  3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by nigafool View Post
    To me, MS is essentially my new "phone settings" app. That's where I want to go to change the settings on my phone that I want to keep on a regular basis.

If I want to temporarily change the brightness, or turn GPS on/off while I'm in the default mode, I really think that ought to remain a temporary change.

Basically imo all permanent changes should only happen inside the MS app.
    You have a good point there with the MS being the new "phone settings" app. I have think this little more and if I will add this support in I might implement this in a way that if you don't want to have a default mode in MS then it would keep track of your system settings in the "normal mode" and if you add the default mode then the MS is only place to change the settings. It was actually this way in the beginning, but internally I have figured out much better way to implement this. Since the old way was just way too heavy (it did 3 times the system requests than the current one). At least this way you would have the option which way you want to use MS. Since I think that if you use MS "heavily" you want it to be the new "phone settings app", but if you only use it for example night mode and want to control the phone the normal way otherwise during the day then you might want to leave the default mode out.
    I have been pondering the whole default mode issue for awhile trying to decide what kind of feedback to offer and how it might work best for the way I am using MS. I think the solution you suggested above could work. I expect I would fall into the light user category - just automating a few switches. I could see MS just running idle [no active default mode] until I start a mode - then it would remember the changes made for the running mode and revert just those changes when the mode is closed. Even if I wanted to change directly from modeA to modeB, MS would reset all modeA changes to "normal" then apply modeB changes. That way all my "normal" settings are still controlled directly in webOS.

I can see that heavy power users could have more complex mode changes and that having a default mode stored to return to at any time would be beneficial for that type of use - so your solution for an optional "default mode" is probably best for all.
    I use the default mode the default mode of my pre... the change in the system I do I do in the default mode.. and from here I set other modes... but still alwayz the default is the master mode. So Im also with nigafool
    Question on the TopBarMenus. I switched from the TopBarModeMenu to the full blown TopBarMenus patch. I noticed on the middle menu that my calendar events weren't chronological. I have my time displayed in 24 hour mode and my events for today were listed as "19:00 - Open House, 6:00 - Practice." I didn't know if the 6:00 appointment was at the bottom because it's in the past or if it was sorting by the 1 in 19:00 and then the 6 in 6:00.
  7.    #287  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    ... Even if I wanted to change directly from modeA to modeB, MS would reset all modeA changes to "normal" then apply modeB changes. That way all my "normal" settings are still controlled directly in webOS.

I can see that heavy power users could have more complex mode changes and that having a default mode stored to return to at any time would be beneficial for that type of use - so your solution for an optional "default mode" is probably best for all.
    My thoughts exactly so I think this will be the way I implement it so MS can serve both kind of users and the decision is then up to the user. And the usage should be quite logical if no default mode then the "normal" state will be controlled through WebOS normal configuration methods. If you create default mode then the config is controlled through MS.
  8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Question on the TopBarMenus. I switched from the TopBarModeMenu to the full blown TopBarMenus patch. I noticed on the middle menu that my calendar events weren't chronological. I have my time displayed in 24 hour mode and my events for today were listed as "19:00 - Open House, 6:00 - Practice." I didn't know if the 6:00 appointment was at the bottom because it's in the past or if it was sorting by the 1 in 19:00 and then the 6 in 6:00.
    Good catch My events have always been after 10 a clock (I am not a morning person) so I haven't noticed the ordering bug. Will fix it when I go through the patches. And I will also be adding calendar opening by clicking the events and other polishing additions.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I just stumbled across this thread. I love the app/patch idea you are doimg and can't wait to try it out. Are you going to submit it to Palm as an official app or keep it as a patch? I ask so when I start to use it, I can either donate or buy it off the Palm app catalog. Thanks again!
  10.    #290  
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyonku View Post
    I just stumbled across this thread. I love the app/patch idea you are doimg and can't wait to try it out. Are you going to submit it to Palm as an official app or keep it as a patch? I ask so when I start to use it, I can either donate or buy it off the Palm app catalog. Thanks again!
    Thanks, of course I would love for this to enter the official catalog but currently it can't. And it won't at least not any time soon. Because 1) Currently the patch is required and I think that patches are no go in official catalog. If and when proper background app support would be implemented then the patch would become optional. 2) Currently app uses some "closed" API's so it has to use palm namespace which also in my knowledge is no go in official catalog. If and when those API's that I need become open this might go away or I could at least release more limited version in app catalog.

So it is very likely that this app can never enter official catalog or if it can at some point then most likely as little less featured version. So that's why donations are welcome. At least this will enter homebrew catalog quite soon, should be before 4th of March since then I am going for 2 weeks vacation and would like to see this released "officially" before that. Sadly I have been quite busy lately, but have been stealing time from sleeping to code
    Hey Sconix could you also check the menu patch to make sure it changes the name in the upper left corner. The patch that just does the upper left menu updated fine but the full menus patch is not.
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Hey Sconix could you also check the menu patch to make sure it changes the name in the upper left corner. The patch that just does the upper left menu updated fine but the full menus patch is not.
    I am also using it and no problems. I guess you have tried restart already. I checked the patch and there should not be any reason why it wont update the upper left part. Maybe some odd thing with the changing from one patch to other since the method is different in those two patches. Well anyway since I don't have much time today and tomorrow I use these days to revise those patches and finish the location trigger on weekend. So maybe I get new patch for tomorrow night for you to try. I am in process of making the patches in a way that I have only one version of the code to maintain.
    I know WOSQI rebooted the phone when I installed the patch. Then I rebooted it again to turn Dev mode off. I'll reboot it again for good measure and then watch it and see what it does tonight at "Bedside Mode."
    Are you going to optimize the patches so they work with other top bar patchers? Currently the topbarmodemenu patch does not install. I have these top bar patches installed:
    Battery Icon as %
    Brightness inDevice Menu
    Date as Carrier String
    Ringer Switch Icon
    Show Actual Battery %
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Are you going to optimize the patches so they work with other top bar patchers?
    The plan is to make 5 patches. So that every patch will add more functionality and will have depencies at least for the first patch.

1) 'features' patch that will provide the trigger / screen control and MS startup functionality and all the common requirements for all patches. So this patch makes sure that MS has all features.

2) 'modemenu' patch that adds the mode menu. This will require patch 1. These two I would like to every one to be able to install and try to release at least patch number 1 tomorrow so everybody could test that and report back if it conflicts with some patches. When I get the patch 1 to be installed by every one then I can easily make this patch no 2 installable by everyone.

3) 'todaymenu' will add menu in the center of top bar (where the date is) for showing calendar events from current and next day. This should also install for everyone, but this I will not guarantee since it is not required by MS. This will most likely depend on patches 1 and 5 so that's why it is labelled as MS patch.

4) 'devicemenu' this will modify the device menu as I prefer it to be. Has battery level as percent with wifi/bt/gps/data control menus (date and airplane mode removed). This I cannot make compatible with other top bar / device menu patches so it'll be up to you what you want to use. Will depend to patches 1 and 5.

5) 'appmenu' this will modify the app menu so that it is in full width. a) because this way even the long application names fit, b) I haven't found a way to today menu and app menu to be open at the same time without any problems and this prevents the possibility to do this and c) I like it this way, I don't need to see the top bar when app is active and when I need it's just a flick or button press away. Will depend to patch 1.

So I will work on for 1 and 2 to be installed by everyone. The others are optional and exist mainly because I like them that way And the brake down is so that I don't need to maintain and test 3 separate patch as it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So I will work on for 1 and 2 to be installed by everyone. The others are optional and exist mainly because I like them that way And the brake down is so that I don't need to maintain and test 3 separate patch as it is now.
    Really looking forward to testing the new patches!
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Really looking forward to the new patches. I love the Mode Menu and the Today Menu but hate the full length app menu. I like to see the icons in the upper right corner. Thanks Sconix for everything you're doing for this app. It is by far a "must have" application.
    man... this application is really one of the best i got in my pre... Just looking forwart to the enabling of location services...

and one thing I have noticed right now.. If i reboot my device on the TS, it doesnt enter the mode which should be enabled by the TS

would you please point me to your donation button?
  19.    #299  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    man... this application is really one of the best i got in my pre... Just looking forwart to the enabling of location services...

and one thing I have noticed right now.. If i reboot my device on the TS, it doesnt enter the mode which should be enabled by the TS

would you please point me to your donation button?
    Thanks, the charger trigger is not noticed on startup it is currently a feature not a bug, but I will try to "fix" this feature in the upcoming patches.

Donation button can be found from the very first post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Thanks, the charger trigger is not noticed on startup it is currently a feature not a bug, but I will try to "fix" this feature in the upcoming patches.

Donation button can be found from the very first post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-switcher.html
    man you are fast.. thank you.. I alwayz check the last and the "update" post... forgot to check the first one...