40 24.54%
  • Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 11 of 167 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast
    dang I guess i will have to redownload. I had just got my cable to install.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am patiently awaiting the next version which will re-enable the location triggers. Can you make the distances for the location trigger smaller? 200 yards is just way too big for some of the modes I need to set up. Thanks!
  3.    #203  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    I am patiently awaiting the next version which will re-enable the location triggers. Can you make the distances for the location trigger smaller? 200 yards is just way too big for some of the modes I need to set up. Thanks!
    I try to get the version out today if no big problems arise. Well the 200 meters is more alike 100 meters, but I have named it to 200 meters since the best accuracy that can be asked from the location service in Mojo framework is 100 meters. So when 200 meters is selected the code actually checks if the location is within 100 meters. Of course the location information got from Mojo framework can be much more accurate than the 100 meters, but it'll make the algorithm more complex when trying to take into consideration the accuracy and possible error marginals etc.

I have to study more how the location is returned in practice what are the common error marginals etc. before I will add smaller radius settings. Since first I would like to see if the algorithm works reliably for larger areas (for instance separating work place and home). Then I can tweak it to work on more precise spots. For now I am not sure how the location service in Mojo works in detail. For example will the accuracy variate with every location request or will it get more accurate for every request when staying in same spot or how it behaves. When I have studied more how it works I can tweak the algorithm so that it is able to work with smaller radius settings.
    Will you be adding the option to choose specific days for the time trigger (such as the option given in TimePiece and Geostrings)?

On Thursdays I have 0 Period, which is an hour class before school actually starts, and I need my phone to be muted during that time. So I have a School Mode (phone completely muted) that triggers at 7:25 AM every weekday and I need it to trigger an hour before on Thursdays.
  5.    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Will you be adding the option to choose specific days for the time trigger (such as the option given in TimePiece and Geostrings)?

On Thursdays I have 0 Period, which is an hour class before school actually starts, and I need my phone to be muted during that time. So I have a School Mode (phone completely muted) that triggers at 7:25 AM every weekday and I need it to trigger an hour before on Thursdays.
    I can add this it's not a big modification to the time trigger anyway. I wont add it to next version, but maybe to the version after that once I get this location trigger back in. Or if there are bug reports from 0.8 they will take priority before this feature change, but none so far which is odd I was so sure that the changes that I made would have broken something
    I installed 0.8.0 yesterday hoping for the best, but strange things keep happening. Here is what I have done so far:

I created a default mode making no changes to the standard settings that I normally use. Basically I selected "create default mode" then swiped to save without making any changes. Then I made a mode that I called "night" which sets the wifi and data modes to disable, mutes messaging, and starts timepiece. I did not set any triggers of any kind, but created icons in the launcher so that I could test the switching manually.

When I start night mode it behaves as expected - wifi and data are off, messaging is mute, and timepiece starts. When I switch back to default, either by closing night mode or by starting default mode, every once in a while - I would say about one in every five or six switches, although I haven't actually counted, but it seems to be that frequent - the data connection does not turn back on.

Last night I started night mode and when I woke, the phone was back in default mode with data on although this time wifi was off. It does rest on a touchstone at night, but I have not set any trigger events of any kind in MS. I am fairly certain it had switched to default mode because when I selected night from the launcher, the banner reported "starting night".

Once while testing the settings a phone call came in and I discovered that the ringtone had reset to the default pre ringtone instead of the custom mp3 that I had set. Neither of the saved modes on my pre is set to do anything to the ringtone. That only happened once.

I know how aggravating random and inconsistent glitches can be, but I wanted to give you some detail of my experience so far. I will continue to monitor the results. Perhaps there is some pattern that I have not been able to discern as yet.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    I installed 0.8.0 yesterday hoping for the best, but strange things keep happening. Here is what I have done so far:

I created a default mode making no changes to the standard settings that I normally use. Basically I selected "create default mode" then swiped to save without making any changes. Then I made a mode that I called "night" which sets the wifi and data modes to disable, mutes messaging, and starts timepiece. I did not set any triggers of any kind, but created icons in the launcher so that I could test the switching manually.

When I start night mode it behaves as expected - wifi and data are off, messaging is mute, and timepiece starts. When I switch back to default, either by closing night mode or by starting default mode, every once in a while - I would say about one in every five or six switches, although I haven't actually counted, but it seems to be that frequent - the data connection does not turn back on.

Last night I started night mode and when I woke, the phone was back in default mode with data on although this time wifi was off. It does rest on a touchstone at night, but I have not set any trigger events of any kind in MS. I am fairly certain it had switched to default mode because when I selected night from the launcher, the banner reported "starting night".

Once while testing the settings a phone call came in and I discovered that the ringtone had reset to the default pre ringtone instead of the custom mp3 that I had set. Neither of the saved modes on my pre is set to do anything to the ringtone. That only happened once.

I know how aggravating random and inconsistent glitches can be, but I wanted to give you some detail of my experience so far. I will continue to monitor the results. Perhaps there is some pattern that I have not been able to discern as yet.
    OK this is more like I was expecting First question that since you said that you created default mode and swiped back right away does it mean that you did not add any settings to the default mode? (Went to the settings page and added the settings). If this is the case then I see how the misbehaving is possible, but if you actually added the settings to the default mode then this behavior is odd. Since for now you have to add those settings in to make the default mode functional. I am planning to change this so that default mode will automatically hold all settings as default since it is most likely what you want to do with default mode.

At least if the above is true then all the problems you described are from situations that I haven't tested. For instance it is very possible that if there aren't any triggers that the mode is still closed when for example charger trigger report comes. I have to check this, I only tested with triggers set.

So the mode closing bug is very likely to exist and should be easy for me to find and fix, but please answer to the first question that did your default mode has settings set or not. Since it limits the bug area to either the saving of default phone settings (which I tried to optimize for 0.8) or the actual setting of configuration. And the mis configuration of ringtone comes from the same bug.
    Last edited by sconix; 02/14/2010 at 02:27 PM.
    I did not add any settings to default mode, figuring it would hold whatever settings existed at the time. Hope that clarifies.
  9.    #209  
    I did not add any settings to default mode, figuring it would hold whatever settings existed at the time. Hope that clarifies.
    Yes it is supposed to hold also those settings without setting them in default mode, but I haven't test this a lot and with 0.8 I tried to optimize it so that it only saves those current setting when needed. So there is bug in that code. So for now you want to actually set the setting for the default mode then it should return those settings reliably. Anyway it is recommended for to set every setting in default mode since this speeds up the mode switching. This is actually reason why I am considering if I should remove the support for not having default mode. Since every time some setting is set the current setting has to be stored. When the setting is in default mode then this step can be bypassed therefore reducing needed system request by half.

I'll try to fix these things that you mentioned for the next version.
  10.    #210  
    After thinking of the current default mode behavior I decided that it sucks specially in code vice. It is confusing for user, adds unwanted uncertainties in the mode switching and slows down the mode switching. I plan to change this for next release as follows:

When MS is activated it would store current settings which are set back when ever MS is deactivated. Default mode would be automatically created in first startup and would hold the current settings as defaults. Then user is able to change those settings as normally by selecting the default mode from the list. This means that default mode holds all the settings and has no other settings.

The location trigger is currently done and I plan to test it tomorrow so it'll be also included in the next release with the new default mode behavior. I'll release this new version tomorrow evening with couple small bug fixes.
    I tried deleting the default mode altogether and MS seems to be functioning the way I was hoping by just opening and closing night mode - settings changed when starting night mode are returning to previous state when closing night mode. I guess that is sort of what you are saying about the new default behavior.

I was also thinking it would be nice to have an option for MS to close all existing open apps when starting a new mode. For instance, if I had ten cards open when I switch to night mode MS would shut everything down before opening timepiece. Not a big deal if that is cumbersome - just a thought.

Thanks again for all you do to make this useful app the best it can be.
  12.    #212  
    I tried deleting the default mode altogether and MS seems to be functioning the way I was hoping by just opening and closing night mode - settings changed when starting night mode are returning to previous state when closing night mode. I guess that is sort of what you are saying about the new default behavior.

I was also thinking it would be nice to have an option for MS to close all existing open apps when starting a new mode. For instance, if I had ten cards open when I switch to night mode MS would shut everything down before opening timepiece. Not a big deal if that is cumbersome - just a thought.

Thanks again for all you do to make this useful app the best it can be.
    Yes the new default behavior does the same, but without the need for storing those default system settings on every mode change. This makes the mode switching a breeze and I think it is just logical that when you are using mode switcher the default settings are also configured from there. I don't even remember why I wanted to keep the option of not having the default mode in the first place maybe just to have a extra choice in the usage of the app, but since this choice is actually confusing and adds complexity and uncertainty it is not that good choice after all

The option to have possibility of close all apps before starting mode is that small task to add that I might add it to 0.8.2 with the specific days option for time trigger. Even thou I was supposed to freeze the features already for 1.0 release, but these are that small that it'll only take couple minutes to implement them and they should not brake anything in the code.
    Another observation to report as I am experimenting. It appears that even though no trigger events are set, when I remove the phone from the touchstone it triggers the closing of night mode. That must be what happened when I woke this morning. The mode closed when I removed the phone from the TS.

I had another odd thing occur. A text message came in just as I initiated a switch to night mode and it seems to have interrupted the switch. It got as far as turning wifi and data off but did not mute messaging or open timepiece. Manuel switching from the launcher seemed to hang up from that point until I opened and closed the MS app.

I hope these observations are more helpful than bothersome.
  14.    #214  
    Another observation to report as I am experimenting. It appears that even though no trigger events are set, when I remove the phone from the touchstone it triggers the closing of night mode. That must be what happened when I woke this morning. The mode closed when I removed the phone from the TS.

I had another odd thing occur. A text message came in just as I initiated a switch to night mode and it seems to have interrupted the switch. It got as far as turning wifi and data off but did not mute messaging or open timepiece. Manuel switching from the launcher seemed to hang up from that point until I opened and closed the MS app.

I hope these observations are more helpful than bothersome.
    These are very helpful and wanted observations since these speed up the development, so thanks. Testing of this kind of software that has lots of usage possibilities comes a pain and if I would test everything by myself I would not have time to write the code Specially since emulator can be used only for testing some parts and quite a lot has to be tested in the phone which is much slower. For example testing the location trigger is kind of lots of work. I will test the basic case that it works and then hope to get as good feedback from it also so I can work out the remaining bugs in the logic/algorithm.

As I suspected the mode closing bug lurks in the trigger checking code that seems to get confused if there are no triggers. This is easy to fix and is fixed in next release. The latter I have to test myself and see why it stops the mode switching, but this is not that common situation that I'll check this little later.
    I'd like to report a bug I've experienced. While in Default mode, my phone rang and Pre was the ringtone, which was incorrect because I had a custom ringtone set. This happened a few minutes after creating a custom mode which is set for the weekday.
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I'd like to report a bug I've experienced. While in Default mode, my phone rang and Pre was the ringtone, which was incorrect because I had a custom ringtone set. This happened a few minutes after creating a custom mode which is set for the weekday.
    Should be fixed in the next version that I'll release tonight.
    Yeah same thing happen to me I was like what happen to my ringtone it also did it with my wallpaper
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yeah same thing happen to me I was like what happen to my ringtone it also did it with my wallpaper
    Wallpaper is handled the same way than ringtone so the same bug effects that too. I did not notice this bug in my tests since I have default wallpaper/ringtone set. Anyway will test that 0.8.1 version will behave with custom settings too.
    Just adding what I've noticed so far. It seems to say "Default Mode" in the upper left regardless of what mode it's really in. Last night, Bedside Mode didn't turn off the touchstone screen. Everything else is working perfectly for me. Another user mentioned adding individual days to the triggers and I second that. Being able to set a "Church Mode" that triggers on Sundays from 8:00 - 12:00 (or whatever) would be really helpful.

**I also just had it switch back to "Default Mode" when I removed it from my touchstone at work. I don't have a charging trigger on "Work Mode." I removed my "Default Mode" as suggested above to see if it makes a difference. It didn't make a difference. If I place my Pre on the touchstone while I'm in "Work Mode" it will switch back to Default when I take it off the stone.**
    Last edited by cdbillups; 02/15/2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Additional information
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Just adding what I've noticed so far. It seems to say "Default Mode" in the upper left regardless of what mode it's really in. Last night, Bedside Mode didn't turn off the touchstone screen. Everything else is working perfectly for me. Another user mentioned adding individual days to the triggers and I second that. Being able to set a "Church Mode" that triggers on Sundays from 8:00 - 12:00 (or whatever) would be really helpful.

**I also just had it switch back to "Default Mode" when I removed it from my touchstone at work. I don't have a charging trigger on "Work Mode." I removed my "Default Mode" as suggested above to see if it makes a difference. It didn't make a difference. If I place my Pre on the touchstone while I'm in "Work Mode" it will switch back to Default when I take it off the stone.**
    Yes the charger trigger wants to control things even no trigger set Fixed in tonight release. You are sure you have latest patch version? If yes then what is the patch? Since for me the screen off and mode menu is working now every time. But I am only testing the topbarmenus version of the patch so maybe some copy paste error while copying the changes to the other patches.