• Calendar event trigger

40 24.54%
  • Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 108 of 167 FirstFirst ... 85898103104105106107108109110111112113118158 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 3326
    I have a question about the mode switcher patch that adds the menu to the top bar. Since I installed it, I've lost my Bluetooth icon. If I turn off Wifi, I get the 3G icon and the Bluetooth icon comes back. The only extra thing I have on my top bar is a battery %. Is there anything that I can do about this?

I am new to Mode Switcher, so I'm still learning it, but liking it so far!
  2.    #2142  
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    no prob, this is a forum, right! my sched is very irregular and i often work overnight, so a timed trigger wouldn't work for driving. it's not even that big a deal to wait a few seconds until i'm out of range of my wifi to put the phone in the holder i made with the TS in the car- or just change w mode menu. it would also probably (now) work just fine if i didn't have the home to block other modes, i only do that as my home router seems to drop the connection every so often (?interference)...but sconix putting the delay on the wifi trigger may have fixed that too.
    I am actually adding a feature for .31 release that could help you. I will add an option to do "triggered" launch of mode for MS (in list of started applications). Currently it only allows "forced" starts of modes when mode is closed but the new option will allow triggered launch which means that the mode is only started if its triggers are valid. So with this option you could add MS to the list of started applications of your home mode that will request starting of car mode which is only started if triggers for it are valid.
  3.    #2143  
    Quote Originally Posted by COS777 View Post
    I have a question about the mode switcher patch that adds the menu to the top bar. Since I installed it, I've lost my Bluetooth icon. If I turn off Wifi, I get the 3G icon and the Bluetooth icon comes back. The only extra thing I have on my top bar is a battery %. Is there anything that I can do about this?

I am new to Mode Switcher, so I'm still learning it, but liking it so far!
    Yes this is a feature of the system menus initial framework patch. I have submitted new versions of the patches that will fix this problem but they are not yet updated to the feed. Should be quite soon though.
  4.    #2144  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Another naming convention you might consider used by "ProfileCare" app for Palm OS Treo by Jeff Gibson of GoTreo Software Inc (http://discussion.treocentral.com/je...scussions.html). This app had a similar purpose (but was not as robust when relating to triggers and app launching), but it did work very well in managing multiple over-layed profiles.... I believe Jeff used the concept of "Nested" profiles to represent when certain settings were adjusted on top of another profile's settings.... His approach worked well for multiple layers of nested profiles. I suppose you could also just use the terminology "Overlayed" Modes since the settings of Mode B override ONLY those particular setting areas of Mode A.

A few other thoughts on this topic....

You could refer to the original modes as "Core" or "Full" modes with the same logic you have today that those modes change ALL settings (either by the custom Core mode alone if it has all setting areas established or by the combination of Core+Default mode where Default fills in the gaps where settings are not established by the Core modes.) When the next version of the PDF user guide comes out, a visual display of how the logic works would be very helpful.

Finally, will you allow "Full" and "Overlay" mode types to restrict other modes from triggering (like "Full" modes do today?) Will you also allow modes (whichever type) to restrict only other "Full" modes or only other "Overlay" modes? For example, I might want to restrict a particular "Full mode" from occurring overnight, but if I forget to put the phone on my charger, it would be very important that it would be allowed to go into Powersave "Overlay" mode when the battery gets to 25%....

Again, just a few ideas borrowing from past experience with these types of apps. Hope some more initial thinking on this helps you navigate to the best implementation approach and naming convention.
    Yes the naming will most likely change but first I just want to have the feature set ready then I will listen to suggestions for changing any of the option names to more logical.

And I will allow the blocking for both mode types and will add the finer control that you can set to block neither type of modes or both.
    --- Response to COS777's post#2141.... ---- already handled more concisely by Sconix....

You are most likely (fairly certainly) using the version of this patch (and the "today" patch too??) from the Precentral Feeds. These versions essentially created a black background behind the top bar center area I think. However, the current ALPHA versions of these top bar patches by Sconix no longer have that issue. The icons now flow under the center bar area (mine has both date and time via patches). There should be links in the OP where you can get access to these versions though, (as ALPHA patches) these are less stable.

Finally, there are other threads for discussing the Top Bar patches (sorry no link) in case you have further questions. I'm not sure if the mode switcher patch only causes that black bar area from the far left placement, maybe it does, so I figured I'd reply here and point you there as well. Personally, I first noticed this when installing the Today top bar patch.
  6.    #2146  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    OK, after writing out that long response post about naming and logic for the new mode schema, I remembered why I came here this morning... I've noticed some behavior the last few nights which I'm not sure is the way it is supposed to work or a bug...

I have overnight mode: triggers: (10:30pm-7am) AND (on TS charger) Settings: (3G Data=OFF, WIFI=OFF, GPS=OFF, Brightness=1, Sounds = LOW except for Alarm sound, On Charger - Screen=Turn Off, and BlinkNotify=off). Basically, anything that will annoy my wife overnight is set to minimize that likelihood. I also have set Default Mode to have On StartUP=Active Mode.

This works fine every time I go to bed -- all settings apply correctly. Can see Radios going off, screen goes off shortly afterward.

However, I use Preset-Reset to reset my phone everynight at 3am. I do have the MS auto-load patch installed so MS is running.

When I wake up (prior to 7am) and look at my phone (still on TS) the menu bar still shows "Overnight" but settings are clearly not "Overnight" (Radio's=On, blink notify=On, and On Charger Screen = On (shows clock) and Email has arrived since Data and Wifi both came back On when they were supposed to be off to prevent email arrival)"

I was under the assumption that on Reset the "OnStartup=Active Mode" setting would re-trigger the Mode that was running when the reset occurred, but that is not what I am experiencing". This has been repeatable for several nights in a row since the latest version was released-but I have not actually 'watched' it happen since I'm sleeping (and so far, I've had no marital disputes over inappropriately timed noises or brightness lighting up the room). I will try to re-create this sequence at a time when I can actually watch what happens after a reset. I'll do that in the next few days to confirm -- I just wanted to post here first to confirm that I'm expecting the right thing and that this just isn't "The way is it supposed to work...(since after boot, there will not technically be a new TS trigger--it will have already been on the TS the entire time")

The "trigger" concept is just slightly uncomfortable to get used to as compared to a "situational" control... especially when thinking about what happens at device boot....i.e. "Entering / Leaving Wifi SSID=1234" is a trigger. Merely "Being in range of Wifi SSID=1234" is situational after a boot since I never entered or left range of the Wifi during the reboot (technically, depending on how you look at it). From a timing perspective, a 2pm-4pm trigger makes something happen at 2pm and ends it at 4pm, but what about a reboot of the device at 3:12pm? How does MS handle that situation? I think the Profile apps I've used in the past seemed to work by observing the 'situation' and not the trigger-boundary areas... I think solving this goes back to what Sconix had mentioned a few posts earlier, by allowing certain modes to launch a MS 'rescan' to determine what mode should be applied at certain times / conditions.... I hope I'm making sense.
    The startup procedure has few bugs and I will test/fix them before 1.0.0. I just quickly modified the startup procedure so that it is not that annoying when WebOS runs out of memory. The whole startup procedure needs going through since most likely many of the triggers wont work properly on boot situation. But since it is a such rare case (booting of your phone at least I almost never do it) so I haven't rushed with these fixes. The main idea is that MS should not touch settings on boot since most likely you want you phone to be in same situation that it was when it was shutdown. But if the mode is no longer valid then default mode would be loaded. But currently some of the triggers most likely will give false information on boot.
  7.    #2147  
    Quote Originally Posted by hdawg5000 View Post
    Hey just starting to try this out and I like the idea behind it but I am wondering if it's possible to add a setting for having a PIN lock screen only when on Touchstone and no PIN when taken off Touchstone?
    There is currently no configuration option for having PIN control, will add at some point though since I can see it useful.
  8.    #2148  
    I am thinking of removing the mode chaining thing and to go back to the old behavior that default mode is started when ever mode is closed. Since now it is possible to add MS app to control which mode is started when certain mode is closed. I would add an option to start last active mode through that interface though. This would make the core functionality a bit easier and I think that after modifier modes feature the chaining of modes is not that much needed and will only confuse some users.

Any opinions about this? I am not doing this for next release, but thinking of doing it for the next after that. So those that like the mode chaining would the ability to add starting of last active mode to specific modes be enough for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    I am thinking of removing the mode chaining thing and to go back to the old behavior that default mode is started when ever mode is closed. Since now it is possible to add MS app to control which mode is started when certain mode is closed. I would add an option to start last active mode through that interface though. This would make the core functionality a bit easier and I think that after modifier modes feature the chaining of modes is not that much needed and will only confuse some users.

Any opinions about this? I am not doing this for next release, but thinking of doing it for the next after that. So those that like the mode chaining would the ability to add starting of last active mode to specific modes be enough for you?
    I liked where you were headed with the chaining and fall back, etc... but the old behavior coupled with being able to launch MS with modes on another mode close sounds much much better.

Keep up the great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post

I think I would like that a lot better. I have one mode that changes my wallpaper, and all others should have my normal one. Without it loading default mode after closing the mode with the unique wallpaper, it never changes unless I set the default wallpaper for all modes, which is annoying.
  11.    #2151  
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    I liked where you were headed with the chaining and fall back, etc... but the old behavior coupled with being able to launch MS with modes on another mode close sounds much much better.

Keep up the great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamMasterClay View Post
    I think I would like that a lot better. I have one mode that changes my wallpaper, and all others should have my normal one. Without it loading default mode after closing the mode with the unique wallpaper, it never changes unless I set the default wallpaper for all modes, which is annoying.
    Yes the aim would be that the "basic" functionality of MS is simple, logical and therefore very predictable so normal user knows why something happens. The old mode logic was this I think. And it fits most of the use cases anyway. But when it would be possible to do the advanced modes when needed, but then when user really needs it he will find a way and then know how and why it works in the special way. If the mode chaining is there as default normal user might get lost when the changing of mode is sometimes different even he has not asked for it.

So I guess I will change this in .31 release if no strong objections arise.
    I oppose mode chaining!
    Wait what? If I got a work mode for 7am to 4pm and a break mode that's from 12 to 1pm. So when my break ends it loads the default again??
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Wait what? If I got a work mode for 7am to 4pm and a break mode that's from 12 to 1pm. So when my break ends it loads the default again??
    I would assume (here I go...) that after your break mode is over, default mode would load temporarily until the time trigger you have for your work mode is reactivated.

I could be wrong.

If that would not work, you could set MS as an App under your break mode that on the break mode close it reloads work mode. That will still be in MS whether or not Sconix changes the mode behavior around (I believe).

I actually use this latter suggestion a lot right now because I had issues with what modes it would fail back to (especially if I manually started a mode that was out of my normal MS operation (say a special circumstance).) So by adding MS as an App and setting what mode is would launch on a mode close is great!
    Quote Originally Posted by orsapps View Post
    I would assume (here I go...) that after your break mode is over, default mode would load temporarily until the time trigger you have for your work mode is reactivated.

I could be wrong.

If that would not work, you could set MS as an App under your break mode that on the break mode close it reloads work mode. That will still be in MS whether or not Sconix changes the mode behavior around (I believe).
    Or he could set MS app to switch to which ever mode can be triggered (Work Mode would qualify) as sconix has mentioned earlier would be implemented into future versions of MS.
  16.    #2156  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yes, but since I guess that your brake mode is specially for work days the new option to MS app conf would allow you to add this special behavior to your brake mode that it would go back to work mode. The thing that I am trying to do is to remove this behavior from normal (default) operation and move it to the "advanced" usage of MS. Since this is not needed in normal situation after I thought this through.

And more importantly maybe your break mode could be modifier mode if its main focus is to alter work mode for example. So possibilities should still be plenty available to achieve what you need. But this just would make the default behavior of MS more constant.
    Last edited by sconix; 06/21/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I got Mode Switcher a couple weeks ago and kind of let it rest there, I was a little intimidated by it for some reason

I finally set up my first mode last night: Wake-Up, set to go off ten minutes before my alarm. It launches the Weather Channel and my Daily Horoscope.

Now that I've 'ripped off the band-aid' ... I can't wait to play with it some more!
  18.    #2158  
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    I got Mode Switcher a couple weeks ago and kind of let it rest there, I was a little intimidated by it for some reason

I finally set up my first mode last night: Wake-Up, set to go off ten minutes before my alarm. It launches the Weather Channel and my Daily Horoscope.

Now that I've 'ripped off the band-aid' ... I can't wait to play with it some more!
    I can see why MS is a bit intimidating app since it is quite capable (and not to forgot it still has the beta flag although just mainly to allow me to develop it more faster) and the UI is not the most intuitive yet. At least for 2.0 version I want to have a common ready mode setups to select from (silent,night etc.) that users can then modify. With preset configuration it would be much easier to start using MS since you would not need to dig that deeply to setup your first mode and see MS in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    This may have been mentioned already, but since the idea of sending parameters to Govnah got sidetracked, I realized that you can have some limited (but useful) control of Govnah using the "On charger, turn off" mode. If Govnah is using screenstate to kick down the CPU, woudn't this effectively lower the speed whenever charging? Might help with charging-related heat issues.
    I think, depending on your kernel, that placing your phone on a TS will automatically (regardless of governor in use) drop / limit the processor speed to 500 to avoid overheating... I think
  20.    #2160  
    Real life once again changed my plans related to MS. So I will postpone the release of .30 until next week when I am back from my holiday. This way I can enjoy it and not to worry whether I released a buggy release or not

So the new plan is that the .30 release will hold all last features and changes for 1.0.0 release and will be hopefully be out during next week. Then I will start testing/fixing all the features as fully as I can and will do final release candidate release in my feed. After no bugs are reported I will release 1.0.0 into the Preware feed. After that I'll start to add the last triggers that I have planned for 1.x.x releases.

Now the bad news. Since I am in process of changing the mode logic for the final time (the adding of modifier mode, and changing the mode chaining to another form) the .30 release will once more reset configuration but this is the very last time. Since after 1.0.0 release I won't do it anymore. This is to make sure that the last feature changes wont introduce any bugs because of the old configuration (and I have more time to crunch in the last features without worrying about the configuration upgrading code).

I will keep updating my page as I progress with the code so you can check it to get estimate how close the next release is during next week. Even the list now looks still quite large, I am actually progressing very well and many of those (-) items are already half done.