• Calendar event trigger

40 24.54%
  • Silent switch trigger

32 19.63%
  • Headphones trigger

19 11.66%
  • Signal strength trigger

23 14.11%
Page 107 of 167 FirstFirst ... 75797102103104105106107108109110111112117157 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 3326
  1.    #2121  
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    Is the ipk-file meant for armv7 AND armv6 platforms? Is that for sure?

On my Pixi the MS app does not start either. No one has confirmed successful ModeSwitcher installation on Pixi yet.
    MS works on all platforms since it is a web app it does not have a C or other native based service bind to it. And I think MS should work on Pixi as well. The MS not starting sounds like the start MS on luna boot patch is not installed or for some reason is not working.
  2.    #2122  
    The next version (0.9.30) should be out on Tuesday night, but be warned this might be another release done in hurry so don't update right away if you depend on MS since I most likely wont be able to release fix withing one week since I am on holiday trip. I try to ensure that the release works, but I want to release it before my trip and if my timetable does not allow full testing it might be that some features wont work. At least the situation should not be as bad than with 0.9.27/28, but just warning you guys beforehand this time

As usual you can see my progress and coming changes at:
    http://wee.e-lnx.org/mode-switcher.html
    Why are you removing "only manually" for mode starting/stopping? I use this for a couple modes.
  4.    #2124  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Why are you removing "only manually" for mode starting/stopping? I use this for a couple modes.
    Since it is a bit confusing or at least none functional option. If mode has no triggers it's in "manual" mode so having triggers will control is the mode manual or not. So I see it as double configuration with that option.

EDIT: too many options to remember why I put it in there now I remember that one might want to disable either auto start or auto close (but not both) so I won't remove it
    Last edited by sconix; 06/20/2010 at 08:29 AM.
    Remember guys, you can use a manual mode to open up your favorite/most used apps all at one time..
    sconix,
    -reading through everything i can't quite figure this out; what is the modifier/override mode mentioned for 9.29? (read your list and wiki- it this actually not out yet in .29?)
    -did u say at some point that whenever a mode swithched, MS would be set up to check all trigger states? this comes up as i have a home (wifi trigger) and car (TS trigger) mode, but since my wifi is still strong in my driveway, when i drive out of range of wifi, default mode starts even though on TS, as this trigger was already active.
  7.    #2127  
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    sconix,
    -reading through everything i can't quite figure this out; what is the modifier/override mode mentioned for 9.29? (read your list and wiki- it this actually not out yet in .29?)
    -did u say at some point that whenever a mode swithched, MS would be set up to check all trigger states? this comes up as i have a home (wifi trigger) and car (TS trigger) mode, but since my wifi is still strong in my driveway, when i drive out of range of wifi, default mode starts even though on TS, as this trigger was already active.
    So the difference between the normal (the current mode type) and the new modifier mode is the following:

For normal mode the do not set and missing settings group are taken from default mode. Hence normal modes quarantee that the phone is in a certain state which you most likely want for home/night etc modes. So only one normal mode can be active at a time. But the modifier modes they only set the settings that belong to the mode and are set. And these modes have higher priority as the normal modes. So settings from modifier mode override the setting of normal mode. So this mode type is mainly meant for silent,battery saving, outside etc. modes that only modifies certain settings which you most likely want to stay on even the normal mode changes. Multiple modifier modes can be on at the same time and the settings are aplied in the order that which mode is higher in the modes list takes over when same setting is set in multiple modifier modes. The other difference is that for modifier modes you can only set immediate or only manual auto starting options. The mode menu will also only show the normal mode that is active but it will be shown in some way if any modifier modes are on (the menu will then show what modes are active).

This should allow lots of new ways to use mode switcher. Since or example you can stay still in your home mode but put battery saving mode no when battery goes below certain limit which for example can only disable some of the most consuming settings. And for example outside mode that can only crank up the screen brightness but other settings are left from the current normal mode.

If anybody have questions or comments about this new feature now is a good time to speak

EDIT: forgot to answer your second question. The required option in triger page will control whether all or any of the triggers is needed for mode to be valid. And the new mode thing is in next release .30 not .29 since the plans changed due to the one"bad" release.
    Last edited by sconix; 06/20/2010 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    EDIT: forgot to answer your second question. The required option in triger page will control whether all or any of the triggers is needed for mode to be valid.
    right, but if i'm already on the TS (car mode trigger) when the wifi signal fades (home mode trigger), car mode does not start since the TS trigger is not 'tripped' as it's already active when the wifi fades. to start car mode, i have to remove and replace on the TS. from home mode it goes to default mode even though is on the TS.
    there is only one trigger for each mode.
  9.    #2129  
    right, but if i'm already on the TS (car mode trigger) when the wifi signal fades (home mode trigger), car mode does not start since the TS trigger is not 'tripped' as it's already active when the wifi fades. to start car mode, i have to remove and replace on the TS. from home mode it goes to default mode even though is on the TS.
    there is only one trigger for each mode.
    Now I see what you mean, but yes triggers are triggers so when mode closes it does not check if some other mode should be valid. This functionality could be added though, but not sure if I should since it brakes the concept of trigger and makes things complicated. But even if you are in home mode, when you place it in the TS in the car the TS trigger should trip the car mode. Unless you have set block triggers in home mode. But if you really mean that it restarts your home mode when placed in TS then there is some rare bug since it really should not. TS trigger can only cause modes with TS trigger to be started. Hence it really should not start home mode when placed on TS in your car. And even if your home mode would have TS trigger it should not start it again since it is still active.

The weird thing is that from the code I cannot figure how it would not start your car mode since really when ever TS trigger come sit only goes through modes with TS trigger so iyour home mode should never get into the list of modes to be started on TS trigger.

So please confirm that which is correct so I can test this case. Your phone is in home mode and you go into your car and place the phone on TS and 1) MS starts your home mode again or 2) nothing happens (i.e. the car mode wont get triggered). And in case 2 are you sure that you dont have block other modes set in your home mode.
    sorry i'm not explaining well. i don't think there is any problem/bug with how MS is working. listed in this order:
    home- block other modes, all unique; wifi trigger
    carkit- no blocking, all unique; TS trigger

arrive home. wifi connects in driveway, changes to home mode. home mode is 'block others' to keep TS in house from switching back and forth.

leaving house. in driveway, still wifi connected...put on TS in car and no change (as expected).

driving away. leave wifi range so wifi trigger ends...MS changes to default mode. (this is where i was asking if as a mode ends, if trigger status is checked)

if i want to start carkit, (can do it manually, or) pull off TS briefly and put back on... MS triggers car mode (again as expected).

so, i think it is behaving properly; i just thought you had mentioned at some point that MS would be made to check for valid triggers on a mode's end- you may have been refering to checking the status of connections, now that i think about it. (i may have wrongly assumed that, since connections like wifi, etc are triggers, this checking would then set off a trigger.)
    Last edited by everette13; 06/20/2010 at 03:25 PM.
  11.    #2131  
    sorry i'm not explaining well. i don't think there is any problem/bug with how MS is working. listed in this order:

arrive home. wifi connects in driveway, changes to home mode. home mode is 'block others' to keep TS in house from switching back and forth.

leaving house. in driveway, still wifi connected...put on TS in car and no change (as expected).

driving away. leave wifi range so wifi trigger ends...MS changes to default mode. (this is where i was asking if as a mode ends, if trigger status is checked)

if i want to start carkit, (can do it manually, or) pull off TS briefly and put back on... MS triggers car mode (again as expected).

so, i think it is behaving properly; i just thought you had mentioned at some point that MS would be made to check for valid triggers on a mode's end- you may have been refering to checking the status of connections, now that i think about it.
    OK so now I really got it So you had the blocking so everything works as they should. But about the feature of checking for modes that should be active when mode is closed I really are not sure whether I should add it or not. Since it kinda brakes the meaning of how modes are started (by trigger events). But what I am thinking is like a mode closing trigger that maybe make a trigger that gets triggered when certain mode is closed then you could add a mode closing trigger for home mode which would cause the car mode triggered which would then get started if TS trigger is also true.

Another possibility is to add a conditional manual starting for MS so one could add MS to the started apps on mode close which would ask one mode to be activated if its triggers are valid. So in some form this might get possible in future. If somebody have any suggestions about this they are welcomed.

I am actually thinking of "removing" the fallback to previous mode thing also and implement it in a way that normally default mode would always get started on mode close, but one could add MS to the started apps list on mode close and ask it to start last active mode etc. So I really want to keep the basic mode logic as simple as possible just so that the logic is familiar and something that one expects for everyone. But then through the MS launch options and apps list it would be possible to utilize MS in very advanced ways.
    This may have been mentioned already, but since the idea of sending parameters to Govnah got sidetracked, I realized that you can have some limited (but useful) control of Govnah using the "On charger, turn off" mode. If Govnah is using screenstate to kick down the CPU, woudn't this effectively lower the speed whenever charging? Might help with charging-related heat issues.

so, i think it is behaving properly; i just thought you had mentioned at some point that MS would be made to check for valid triggers on a mode's end- you may have been refering to checking the status of connections, now that i think about it. (i may have wrongly assumed that, since connections like wifi, etc are triggers, this checking would then set off a trigger.)
    not to tell you to change how all of your mode are set up just to say that this is how i have mine set up to do the same thing as you just in a different way -- i get in my car at the same time to drive 99 percent of the time so i have a car mode with TS trigger + time of day --weekdays 5am - 7am and weekdays 2pm - 6pm -- set to block other modes

i have a night mode that is T/S + time trigger -- 9pm to 4:45 am set to block other modes
    home mode with wifi trigger no blocking

i have additionally placed a manual button for the car kit on the launcher for when i am driving at odd hours --

i have a few other modes but those are the ones i have set up for a simular situation to what you are doing
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I know this is not really MS-related, but I am recommending the F102 compcache kernel which is posted in an active thread. It only used a screenstate 500/800 governor and is almost impossible to hit a TMC with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    not to tell you to change how all of your mode are set up just to say that this is how i have mine set up to do the same thing as you just in a different way -- i get in my car at the same time to drive 99 percent of the time so i have a car mode with TS trigger + time of day --weekdays 5am - 7am and weekdays 2pm - 6pm -- set to block other modes

i have a night mode that is T/S + time trigger -- 9pm to 4:45 am set to block other modes
    home mode with wifi trigger no blocking

i have additionally placed a manual button for the car kit on the launcher for when i am driving at odd hours --

i have a few other modes but those are the ones i have set up for a simular situation to what you are doing
    no prob, this is a forum, right! my sched is very irregular and i often work overnight, so a timed trigger wouldn't work for driving. it's not even that big a deal to wait a few seconds until i'm out of range of my wifi to put the phone in the holder i made with the TS in the car- or just change w mode menu. it would also probably (now) work just fine if i didn't have the home to block other modes, i only do that as my home router seems to drop the connection every so often (?interference)...but sconix putting the delay on the wifi trigger may have fixed that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So the difference between the normal (the current mode type) and the new modifier mode [...] If anybody have questions or comments about this new feature now is a good time to speak
    Wow, that could result in very complex use cases and and user questions!
    How about precautionary altering the nomenclature:
    "modifier mode" alternative naming: "Device Mode", "Tattoo Mode", "Mask Mode", "Global Mode"... ;
    "normal mode" alternative naming: "Soft Mode", "App Mode", "Dynamic Mode", "Local Mode" ...

All in all I am really looking forward to get MS run on my Pixi. It could boost overall performance in many ways.
    "modifier mode" alternative naming: "Device Mode", "Tattoo Mode", "Mask Mode", "Global Mode"... ;
    "normal mode" alternative naming: "Soft Mode", "App Mode", "Dynamic Mode", "Local Mode" ...

All in all I am really looking forward to get MS run on my Pixi. It could boost overall performance in many ways.
    Another naming convention you might consider used by "ProfileCare" app for Palm OS Treo by Jeff Gibson of GoTreo Software Inc (http://discussion.treocentral.com/je...scussions.html). This app had a similar purpose (but was not as robust when relating to triggers and app launching), but it did work very well in managing multiple over-layed profiles.... I believe Jeff used the concept of "Nested" profiles to represent when certain settings were adjusted on top of another profile's settings.... His approach worked well for multiple layers of nested profiles. I suppose you could also just use the terminology "Overlayed" Modes since the settings of Mode B override ONLY those particular setting areas of Mode A.

A few other thoughts on this topic....

You could refer to the original modes as "Core" or "Full" modes with the same logic you have today that those modes change ALL settings (either by the custom Core mode alone if it has all setting areas established or by the combination of Core+Default mode where Default fills in the gaps where settings are not established by the Core modes.) When the next version of the PDF user guide comes out, a visual display of how the logic works would be very helpful.

Finally, will you allow "Full" and "Overlay" mode types to restrict other modes from triggering (like "Full" modes do today?) Will you also allow modes (whichever type) to restrict only other "Full" modes or only other "Overlay" modes? For example, I might want to restrict a particular "Full mode" from occurring overnight, but if I forget to put the phone on my charger, it would be very important that it would be allowed to go into Powersave "Overlay" mode when the battery gets to 25%....

Again, just a few ideas borrowing from past experience with these types of apps. Hope some more initial thinking on this helps you navigate to the best implementation approach and naming convention.
    OK, after writing out that long response post about naming and logic for the new mode schema, I remembered why I came here this morning... I've noticed some behavior the last few nights which I'm not sure is the way it is supposed to work or a bug...

I have overnight mode: triggers: (10:30pm-7am) AND (on TS charger) Settings: (3G Data=OFF, WIFI=OFF, GPS=OFF, Brightness=1, Sounds = LOW except for Alarm sound, On Charger - Screen=Turn Off, and BlinkNotify=off). Basically, anything that will annoy my wife overnight is set to minimize that likelihood. I also have set Default Mode to have On StartUP=Active Mode.

This works fine every time I go to bed -- all settings apply correctly. Can see Radios going off, screen goes off shortly afterward.

However, I use Preset-Reset to reset my phone everynight at 3am. I do have the MS auto-load patch installed so MS is running.

When I wake up (prior to 7am) and look at my phone (still on TS) the menu bar still shows "Overnight" but settings are clearly not "Overnight" (Radio's=On, blink notify=On, and On Charger Screen = On (shows clock) and Email has arrived since Data and Wifi both came back On when they were supposed to be off to prevent email arrival)"

I was under the assumption that on Reset the "OnStartup=Active Mode" setting would re-trigger the Mode that was running when the reset occurred, but that is not what I am experiencing". This has been repeatable for several nights in a row since the latest version was released-but I have not actually 'watched' it happen since I'm sleeping (and so far, I've had no marital disputes over inappropriately timed noises or brightness lighting up the room). I will try to re-create this sequence at a time when I can actually watch what happens after a reset. I'll do that in the next few days to confirm -- I just wanted to post here first to confirm that I'm expecting the right thing and that this just isn't "The way is it supposed to work...(since after boot, there will not technically be a new TS trigger--it will have already been on the TS the entire time")

The "trigger" concept is just slightly uncomfortable to get used to as compared to a "situational" control... especially when thinking about what happens at device boot....i.e. "Entering / Leaving Wifi SSID=1234" is a trigger. Merely "Being in range of Wifi SSID=1234" is situational after a boot since I never entered or left range of the Wifi during the reboot (technically, depending on how you look at it). From a timing perspective, a 2pm-4pm trigger makes something happen at 2pm and ends it at 4pm, but what about a reboot of the device at 3:12pm? How does MS handle that situation? I think the Profile apps I've used in the past seemed to work by observing the 'situation' and not the trigger-boundary areas... I think solving this goes back to what Sconix had mentioned a few posts earlier, by allowing certain modes to launch a MS 'rescan' to determine what mode should be applied at certain times / conditions.... I hope I'm making sense.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 06/21/2010 at 10:19 AM.

How about calling it Blanket Modes?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hey just starting to try this out and I like the idea behind it but I am wondering if it's possible to add a setting for having a PIN lock screen only when on Touchstone and no PIN when taken off Touchstone?