Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    PreCT, or Pre Cube Timer, is an application for timing your solutions to twisty puzzles, such as Rubik's Cube and its derivatives. The intention was to create a mobile substitute for CCT, CalCubeTimer.

Currently it will provide scrambling algorithms for 10 different puzzles and it will keep a rolling average of your last 12 solves with the fastest and slowest times discarded from the average. Times are not saves across sessions yet, the reason being that I have spoken with the dev on CCT and he is changing the way in which times are persisted there (currently uses XML). I will hopefully be able to interface in a meaningful way with his new file format so that you can seamlessly transition between the PreCT and CCT save states.

PreCT is open source under the GPLV3 license and will remain free forever.

Source code, screenshots, and the most up to date ipk can be found at prect - Project Hosting on Google Code.
    (And it will hopefully be available through Preware soon!)

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do... I click start and a hand comes on the screen with a counter. I click the hand and I stop the counter and go back to the start screen. Lol. Can we get some instructions?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It's your standard, run of the mill, Rubik's cube timer. You scramble your puzzle with the provided algorithm and then hit start. Once your puzzle is solved press the big stop button and your time will be recorded towards your average. After 12 solves, the fastest and slowest times are dropped and an average of the middle 10 times is displayed. It's a rolling average, so as you replace slower times with faster times, your average goes down and vice verse.

The puzzle select menu can be used to get scrambles for several different puzzles similar to Rubik's Cube.
    so first i solve the puzzle then i scramble it by following the directions on the app? can you explain what each letter means and why there is a ' separating some groups/sets

Update: got it... this explains it all

Last edited by jack87; 02/13/2010 at 02:40 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    can you disable screen timer while app is running
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    @jack87

The screen should not blank while the timer is running. I have noticed that the screen will sometimes dim slightly while you're scrambling, and then two taps are required to start the timer (one to wake it up, one to start). If this is what you're referring to I could probably add an option to disable the screen timeout there.

FYI: there are some good cubers in Salt Lake, I've been to a couple competitions out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by spdqbr View Post
    @jack87

The screen should not blank while the timer is running. I have noticed that the screen will sometimes dim slightly while you're scrambling, and then two taps are required to start the timer (one to wake it up, one to start). If this is what you're referring to I could probably add an option to disable the screen timeout there.

FYI: there are some good cubers in Salt Lake, I've been to a couple competitions out there.
    I did not know they had competitions out here. Haha I sure am not one of the good cubers (I had never really timed myself before your app so far best time is 1:29 but average at about 1:40) I was looking at the official WCA and people are solving this thing under 15sec. insane! Although my current cube keeps getting stuck i dunno where my slick one went

I am more so refereeing to the fact that I am really new to scrambling the cube so the screen turns off before I can finish (I do have my screen timer set to 30sec) An option to disable screen timer while scrambling/while app is running would be great. and of course if this setting will be remembered the next time the apps is launched to. I will be playing more with the app and give suggestions. Very well done! thanks so much for producing it.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It appears that the update to WebOS 1.4 has broken the display of times while timing. It has for some reason shifted it down behind the stop button. I am working on a fix (Other updates are progressing slowly, but I haven't abandoned the project by a long shot!

If you're comfortable editing the files, there is a temporary fix you can do for the live-display issue:

in the file com.spdqbr.prect/app/stylesheets/prect.css
    change from
    Code:
    #CurrentTime{
        font-size:65px;
        color:white;
        min-width:165px;
        margin-top:20px;
    }
    to
    Code:
    #CurrentTime{
        font-size:65px;
        color:white;
    /*    min-width:165px;
        margin-top:20px;*/
    	position:absolute;
    	top:0px;
    	left:10%;
    }
    I think it might of messed up the start/stop buttons slightly to because when i tap sometimes it doesnt register right away like it used to.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I've just submitted an updated version to Preware, so hopefully it will be out soon. If you're anxious you can grab the new IPK / source from the repository listed in the first post.

I've noticed that about the start button being a little less responsive. The new version takes away the start button and changes the way that it listens for taps. With the start button removed the times section and scramble section have become a listener for taps, so you don't have to be as accurate now.

Once it drops, let me know if you have any problems or suggestions!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    It's been a little while but I have a minor update available at the Google Code Repository.

Enhancements include:
    * Fixed numbering of times
    * More efficient deletion of times
    * Added Guest mode

I am not going to submit this to preware just yet, as I intend to do another larger update in the next few days. Once that is complete, I'll push it to preware. If there's an outcry (unlikely ) I'll submit this update sooner.

Thanks!