Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check out the preview version featuring automatic sync in this post!

Version 0.2.0 now available!
    • This version uses the Upstart service. From a user standpoint, the only change is a banner notification that indicates success or failure. Also, the device will no longer vibrate if the sync fails.

Summary
    NTP Sync is a minimalist tool to sync your device's internal clock with Internet time. I made it for people like me who have a bad time chip in their phone. It runs in seconds, and is currently the most convenient way to sync your clock.

Details
    NTP Sync calls an Upstart script which uses the built-in ntpdate command to sync with the pool.ntp.org network. The GUI is very simple. When you tap the icon, a sync is initiated. If it works, you get a banner notification and a short vibration. If it fails (usually within 30 seconds), you just get a banner notification.

About pool.ntp.org
    pool.ntp.org is a global network operating on the Network Time Protocol. The network is geo-aware, and automatically routes all syncs to the nearest time server. Servers in this network are typically accurate to within a second of the official NIST time.

License
    NTP Sync is authored by webosnerd.com and is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 3.0. A copy of this license is included in the installation folder. All rights not granted by the license are reserved by the author.

All code is graciously hosted by WebOS Internals at their public GIT repository.

Requirements
    NTP Sync runs as an Upstart script, so it requires the Upstart service and webOS 1.3.5 or later.

Direct link to IPK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dallashigh; 02/18/2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added info about preview version
  2. TBH
    Fantastic! Looking forward to downloading it!
    Is it possible to run it periodically, say, every hour? Via cron?
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, you can definitely call the script from a cron job. The operators of ntp.org recommend setting cron jobs for odd times (for example, every hour at 12 minutes past) to prevent bottlenecks at the top of the hour.
  4. TBH
    Great, finally a fix for the inaccurate time of my Pre....lookin forward to release/approval
    I really need this as O2 is a PITA for its network time. Any news on the release? Can we get it another way, ipk?

Chris
  6.    #6  
    Attached IPK and added direct link to first post.
    Thank you! Installed and seems to work very nicely. I had a look at the ipkg contents and surprised to see that ntpdate is installed in WebOS already - if I'd known that then I'd have done this a long time ago!

Excellent package, and thanks for keeping it simple... it does what it says and no more. Just what I needed!

Now I'm trying to decide whether it is worth the hassle of enabling cron to run ntpdate every 12 hours...
  8. TBH
    Works flawlessly!

Feature request: Could you implement some kind of "-silent"-switch? So when using it with cron, it doesn't vibrate each time it is called?

Keep up the good work =)
    just wanted to write the same thing at the weekend ;-) Nice that it's done. Please include it in one of the Preware streams.
    Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Works flawlessly!

Feature request: Could you implement some kind of "-silent"-switch? So when using it with cron, it doesn't vibrate each time it is called?

Keep up the good work =)
    You don't need this app installed to update the time via NTP with cron. Just use this command to run by cron:

Code:
    ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
    That is all this app does - provides an icon that when clicked runs that command. No point running the app through cron, just run the command by cron.
  11. TBH
    BlueC, thanks for that hint....sometimes my thoughts are just too complicated ;-)

Edit: dallashigh, perhaps you could add the ability to run in background (like e.g. Brightness unlinked does)? So it would be easier for non-techie-Users to have periodically synced clocks on their Pres. Next thing would be a config-option for the sync-interval.... What do you think about it?
    Last edited by TBH; 01/13/2010 at 12:19 PM.
  12.    #12  
    I have considered an advanced version with background updating and configuration options. If I were to create one, it would be a separate app. I want to keep this one simple. The old UNIX philosophy... do one thing, and do it well.

Whether the advanced version pans out really depends on how much free time I have after I return to college classes next week. I had a well-featured NTP app on my WiMo phones, and I would certainly like to bring those features over to the Pre and Pixi.
    This may be a dumb question, sorry. Does it matter how you have your time set up? Should it be set to manual set or network time?
    Quote Originally Posted by mheller310 View Post
    This may be a dumb question, sorry. Does it matter how you have your time set up? Should it be set to manual set or network time?
    I guess it doesn't make sense to have it set to network time AND use this app. Setting it to network time should keep it automatically synced (doesn't work at least on O2 in UK) so you wouldn't need this app.

If your clock is gaining/losing time and you have it set to manual (or network time sync doesn't work for you) then use this app to sync your time.
    First of all, THANK YOU! I have had 2 PRE's and both never keep correct time. Does this app keep the time correct? I am not sure what CRON is, do I need that with this for it to work? Do I need to launch this app each time my phone is rebooted?

Thanks,

Darren
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    First of all, THANK YOU! I have had 2 PRE's and both never keep correct time. Does this app keep the time correct? I am not sure what CRON is, do I need that with this for it to work? Do I need to launch this app each time my phone is rebooted?

Thanks,

Darren
    You don't need to use CRON, no. Just run the app whenever you want to sync the time. After a reboot is a good time I guess... or once a day. You need a live internet connection for it to work... one vibrate means it works, two means it failed. A few seconds after successfully running the app you'll see the time on your pre adjusts accordingly.
    So this is does the same thing as turning on/off airplane mode (I would do this to get it to temporarily reflect correct time) but after minutes and hours later..it drifts. I was hoping for some way to get it to stay on the correct time.

Thanks
    while I love the app, personally, I find it VERY alarming security-wise that any app can set "game" type then have a .sh file execute on launcher. Shell scripts can do virtually anything, including destroy an operating system. While this apps just does what it says, I pray some security is added in future update, so less trustable apps aren't allowed to execute such scripts
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    while I love the app, personally, I find it VERY alarming security-wise that any app can set "game" type then have a .sh file execute on launcher. Shell scripts can do virtually anything, including destroy an operating system. While this apps just does what it says, I pray some security is added in future update, so less trustable apps aren't allowed to execute such scripts
    Yes, this is a huge security hole for homebrew, which I have reported to Palm.

Palm is not accepting any type:game apps from the public at this time, so it's not an issue for the Palm app catalog or web channel.

It is an issue for Preware and WebOS Quick Install, however. We may need to prohibit type:game from the feeds until we can work out how to make it safe (not talking about this app in particular, which is perfectly safe, but talking about the capability to install malware in general using this technique).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, this doesn't run in the background (yet). I just created this so that Joe Sixpack would have an easy way to fix his clock other than rebooting or cycling the radio. As I said, I do have an advanced version planned, which would have automatic background syncing.

This can be used with Network Time on or off.

Based on some information received from another developer, I am tentatively planning to release a new version of this app. I will change the app to a regular webOS app and use the Upstart Service to call the script.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast