webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Teen Repellent Lite
Teen Repellent Lite

Old 01/07/2010, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Teen Repellent has finally arrived on the App catalog for a mere 99c

Version 1.0.0
-First
Version 1.0.1
-Added ringtone button
Version 1.0.2
-Added help scene
-Updated sound files (remove pop)
-Added help text for ringtone file
-Testing admobs

Teen Repellent generates irritatingly high frequency sounds similar to that of a mosquito. As one gets older they lose the ability to hear these high frequency sounds thereby limiting the target audience to a certain age group and animals.

I am currently testing functionality. I'd like to people to try it and tell me at what frequency they stop hearing the sound and how old you are.
Remember to turn up your volume, no volume controls in sdk yet

Other comments and suggestions are always welcome

URL: teen-repellent-lite
App catalog: Teen Repellent

Last edited by insanefury; 01/14/2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Update
insanefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: grn
Old 01/07/2010, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

This sounds really interesting. Heck, mind making a teen only ringtone? Now that would be useful.

Edit:

Just did the tests. I could hear all frequencies up until 18 khz, which is strange because it says 24 years and younger. I'm 15. At 18khz I couldn't hear a thing. 17khz I could barely hear it. I hope this data helps.

Edit2:

Ok I just went online to do another test from a different source and I could hear 18khz (I couldn't hear 19 however) from a different website, but still can't hear it from your app.

Edit3:

Ok I turned up my volume on my Pre, and I could then hear 18khz, and almost 19khz if I put my ear up to the speakers. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Rudementry; 01/07/2010 at 07:47 AM.
Rudementry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I will be adding a button that will allow you to set it as your ringtone. It appears the palm pre's speakers might not be able to properly output the really high frequency's loud enough. You can try plugging it into speakers to see if they output at all but I may have to tweek the sound files and make em louder but I can't tell if it's working >.<, I only hear up to 17khz.

Thanks for your input
Old 01/07/2010, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Im not sure The Speaker can do a lot more then 18Khz. But maybee I am just to Old
I am 34 going 35 and can hear 17 Khz without any problems with you app. I hear something at 18 and 19 but not sure
Holliefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

I add your ring-tone button

If you notice a pop when you start playing the sounds it's because the wav file does not fades in or out. This is for space compression. I have wav files with fades in my full version that do not have a POP when it starts playing however app size goes from 383kb to 1718kb =P

If your really interested in using it as a ring-tone you can PM me and I'll send you the better sound files. Just tell me what khz.
Old 01/07/2010, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Man, I'd buy this just on principal because it gave me and my wife a great laugh!
dcigary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just for everyone's info, this was actually developed over in Great Britain by retailers trying to keep kids from loitering in their stores and parking lots. The older people never heard it, so it didn't bother them.

THEN the kids figured out how to make a ringtone out of it - to use in school or wherever they weren't supposed to be having phones!

And so it goes, back and forth...
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Tried to find out what level I could hear (I'm in my 50's) had to stop, my 20 year old screamed for me to stop! Will try again with no one around.
(It was fun though ) Would be great for a teacher to aggravate students!
Technologic#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
Tried to find out what level I could hear (I'm in my 50's) had to stop, my 20 year old screamed for me to stop! Will try again with no one around.
(It was fun though ) Would be great for a teacher to aggravate students!
It's even funnier when kids in the class are playing the sound and laughing when the teacher asks what's so funny
Old 01/07/2010, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Could the high frequencies be hard on the speaker of the phone?
BruceBradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2010, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBradford View Post
Could the high frequencies be hard on the speaker of the phone?
I highly doubt it since our music and songs played on the phone also hit high frequencies too often not heard. Plus the pre's speakers are fairly decent quality.
Old 01/07/2010, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

OMG.... i can't hear any of them.... like my parents used to tell me the subwoofer in my car would blow my ear drums... but literally....

wait never mind.. i got it to work. But i'm 16 and the highest i can hear is 19khz.... it's for 49 year olds. fml
wookie4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 01:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am 41.

Up to my ear I can hear it up to 18 khz, but no higher.

At arms length (with speaker facing me) I can hear it up to 14 khz, but no higher.

I can't wait to try this out on my 8 and 6 year olds in the morning. Something tells me they are gonna get a kick out of knowing they can hear something Daddy can't :-)
Old 01/08/2010, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

38 yrs old, and I can barely make out 17khz with my Pre within a foot of my head. at 18khz and higher all I can hear is the slight click of the speaker activating.

At range (arm's length) 16khz is my max. I haven't tested any further ranges, but 16khz is pretty loud at arm's length for me.

Just a general question: What is the difference between the current lite version and the eventual pay version?
Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 11:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

this is awesome! Loving the app!
jusegozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 11:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Someone should workout how to get this to load when teens go to precentral.net
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Age 54, I can just barely start hearing it at 12khz. (As my son screams from the other room "Are you playing with that thing again-STOP)

This could be fun!

I wonder if I could have it running on XBox Live when I try to play MW2 and all the kids online think we want to hear them singing
Technologic#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2010, 12:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm 39 and could hear 16khz if I held it to my ear, but my 3 & 6 year old can hear it in the other room. This is brilliant! My 6 year old's birthday party is tomorrow, and I am going to enjoy myself immensely!
Possibly the best WebOS app yet!
GoSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2010, 07:51 AM   #19 (permalink)

wow its allot of old people here at this site....im 22 can hear it at 19khz
MacGyver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2010, 09:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

Old is always 10 more years than you are. You young whipper-snapper you. :-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0