Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hello Author, is it possible to implement mean/standard deviation sort of grading (curve) - ex. if u get mean mark - thats B (customizable) if u get mean + standard deviation - thats one letter up etc. In its current state the grading system is not much of a use for majority of students in classes that use "curve".
    Just bought the App and I'm having a big problem. I added my first course, set all of the grade definitions and weight scale. Then I went to add a grade.

After entering a name for the assignment and hitting "Add Grade", the little busy circle on the button just spins and spins. If I swipe back the dialog goes away and the assignment is listed there and I can edit it's info if I tap on it.

Also, after swiping back to the course list and then going back into a course, my grade definitions are all set as "undefined". Any help would be appreciated.
    I am also having this problem and consequently appear to be failing four of my classes! Is there a "save" button I am overlooking or something??
  4.    #124  
    No you aren't overlooking anything. The grade definitions should be saving automatically when you change them. Unfortunately, when I was adding the capability to weight the grades I didn't realize that it caused a problem with the the code which saves the grade definitions and now any time they are changed they all default to undefined.

The good news is that I have found the code which is causing this problem and fixed it. I will be putting out a new update soon which will correct this problem. I apologize to everyone who is affected by this problem. Until the next update I would recommend not updating the grade definitions. If you don't have much data entered for a class you could delete the class and then re-enter it. When a new class is created it has some default grade definitions which may tide you over until the update comes.

A+ Student Organizer is really our first attempt at software development and we are learning a lot. In the future we will do a better job of testing our updates so that bugs like this don't happen. Thanks to everyone for their patience.
    Definitely don't mind waiting for the update, thanks!!
    My Pre is on the fritz and Sprint is replacing it.
    Do I need to back up my data, and if so how?
    I have spent a bunch of time inputting everything and I do not want to start over.

Thanks in advance.
  7.    #127  
    Yes you need to back up your data and it isn't the easiest thing, but it is possible. Basically all of your data is saved in an HTML5 database file and until we get on online backup option up and running the only option to save and restor your data is to transplant that html5 database file. To do this one would need to access the linux command line on your device, find and copy the database file to the media partition so it can be accessed when you put your phone in USB mode. You would then copy the database file to your computer and save it for when you get your new phone. Once your new phone arrives you would install A+ Student Organizer and open it once to allow it to start a new HTML5 database file. You would then put your phone back in USB mode copy your saved database file to the media partion access the linux command line to copy that file into the appropriate place on your new device and then rename your database file it to the same name as the default database which was created by the app when you ran it for the first time on your new device. I know it sucks and sounds complicated but as of right now that is the only option. And really doing this should be a lot quicker than re-entering everything.

To get started, webos-internals has an excellent walkthrough on their website about how to access the linux command line for your phone. Just follow the steps there and you will be in.

When you first log in, if I am remembering correctly, you don't need to navigate far to get to the folder that has your database. Basicaly using linux commands like ls and cd, you need to navigate to a folder named something like "HTML5 Databases". And then in that folder you want to look for the folder that has "com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer" in the name (the actual name of the folder will be much longer). In that folder will be a single file named something like 000000000000042.db. This is the important file that contains all your data. What you want to do next is use the cp command to copy that file to the media partition. Something like "cp 00000000000042.db /media/" Should work.

Once that is done you can connect to your device like a usb drive and then even copy that file to the hard drive of your computer or whatever. To restore your data the procedure is basically just the opposite.

Again, we are sorry this is such a difficult process right now but we appreciate your patience. If you run into any problems, email us at ken@forethought-labs.com and we would be glad to help.
    Can you give me a little more of the file path? I am comfortable navigating from the command line but I have no idea where to look. I keep finding dead ends.
  9.    #129  
    Sure, I don't have an actual device with me right now, but on the emulator (and i'm fairly sure it's the same) the path was:
    Code:
    /var/home/root/html5-databases/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer_0/
    So it should be something similar. In that folder is the file you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
    Can you give me a little more of the file path? I am comfortable navigating from the command line but I have no idea where to look. I keep finding dead ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenCorbettJr View Post
    Sure, I don't have an actual device with me right now, but on the emulator (and i'm fairly sure it's the same) the path was:
    Code:
    /var/home/root/html5-databases/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer_0/
    So it should be something similar. In that folder is the file you need.

Mine was in:
    Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer_0/
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    Mine was in:
    Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer_0/
    Cool good to know, the var/home/root folder was empty.
    Last edited by sunriseshell; 02/27/2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: corrected file path
    I know there's no "official" backup, but can you tell us where in your app the data is stored so those of us with the technical know how can go in via command line and do a manual backup? I have to doctor my phone and it's going to be annoying having to put all this back in..

EDIT: DOH. Didn't see page 7 here. So sorry, ignore me.
    After the 1.4 update the headings don't work properly anymore. The text gets shifted down instead of it being in the title bar.
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by LuIsChillin View Post
    After the 1.4 update the headings don't work properly anymore. The text gets shifted down instead of it being in the title bar.
    Yes. I know. There were a couple other things that broke too, like the slider in the course view which can no longer be dragged. But I have some good news. I have finally finished A+ Student Organizer update 1.2.0 which I have just submitted to palm (and which hopefully they will approve quickly.)

This update includes a whole bunch of bug fixes, speed improvements along with a lot of smaller requested features and changes. But probably the biggest change is that as of 1.2.0 is that A+ Student Organizer will now have dashboard reminders for tasks that need completed!

I will be putting up a more comprehensive change log over at forethought-labs.com once palm approves the update, but I wanted to let you guys know that it is coming.
    That sounds great. Thanks for all the hard work, I have never been this organized with my work.
    Just tested using webOS Quick Install by going to "Tools>Receive File" and under "File" pasting
    Code:
    /var/palm/data/file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.forethoughtlabs.studentorganizer_0/0000000000000065.db
    Granted the "65" part varies between devices I believe, so you still need to use command line to find that out, but as a test this works, and I will test the opposite of this (to restore the information) soon.
    Hi Ken,

I love the app, but after the new update I seem to be running into a problem.

I have a bunch of weighted grades and when I insert them in, the earned part of the points and possible points come out like their suppose to, but when I look at my grades for the class, even though I have a 279 out of a possible 300 points, its still telling me by current grade is an F (24%).

This goes for all my other classes that I input the grades in, and no, I am not failing these classes, they just do not seem to update for whatever reason.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Rob
  18.    #138  
    Hmm, that is interesting and I'm not really sure what is going on.

To really troubleshoot, I as wondering if you could email me the database file for your app. You can use the technique with WebOS Quick Install described in the previous post if you like if you can find out what database number your A+ Student Database is.

With that database I'm sure I could find the problem.
    I would love to send you the file, but I am having difficulty getting my Pre into root mode from the terminal.

I have followed all the directions listed on your link above, but when I go into the terminal, I keep getting a "Permission Denied" and it will not let me into the folders (btw I am using a Macbook Pro)

So I do not know what the problem is...Any insight would help
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitraine21 View Post
    I would love to send you the file, but I am having difficulty getting my Pre into root mode from the terminal.

I have followed all the directions listed on your link above, but when I go into the terminal, I keep getting a "Permission Denied" and it will not let me into the folders (btw I am using a Macbook Pro)

So I do not know what the problem is...Any insight would help
    Make sure developer mode is turned on.
    - Type webos20090606 in universal seach and click the APP.

Then use Webos Quick Install 3.02 to get root access.
    - Tools > Linux Command Line

Alternatively, you can just use the get/send file function from WOSQI.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast