Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    haven't had a chance to play it yet but looking forward to it
    nice job!!
    great game!
    but -
    1. sounds, sounds, sounds - should be easy now with 1.3.5 (well, not as hard as)
    2. can you place the fire, and nav keys on the screen. i don't like having the keyboard open all the time.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmpreacher View Post
    1. sounds, sounds, sounds - should be easy now with 1.3.5 (well, not as hard as)
    I have no access to 1.3.5 yet (Living in Europe). Did they really improve sound in this release? My current understanding is that sound is totally useless because the huge delay between triggering and playing and that you only can use the fixed system sounds with an acceptable response time. Is that knowledge outdated?

But even if sound would be possible: I'm a programmer, not a sound pro, so if someone is willing to donate some free sounds to this game, then please do so. and with "free" I mean "open-source free". It's not acceptable to steal some sounds from other games. So if you provide sounds please make sure they have a GPL-compatible license and if you create the sounds yourself please put them under a GPL-compatible license.
    Quote:
    Your game would be nice with Acclerometer support. If you need some code for this (not really complicated) write here. I send you a code snippet on demand.

An "IDEA" how you would control such a game with the accelerometer is more interesting then the actual code. Maybe you can explain your vision?

How to do ?
    Not an usable Idea at the moment. It was more about pairing this old style game with up to date steering method could be funny for the gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
    But even if sound would be possible: I'm a programmer, not a sound pro, so if someone is willing to donate some free sounds to this game, then please do so. and with "free" I mean "open-source free". It's not acceptable to steal some sounds from other games. So if you provide sounds please make sure they have a GPL-compatible license and if you create the sounds yourself please put them under a GPL-compatible license.
    try here:
    freesound :: home page
    I'm loving the game so far, looks great, plays fast, definitely solid man!
    Some ideas though; as much as I like the sticking to the old style controls, the pre really is a bit unweildy to play on the keyboard, at least for my hands (and I think I have fairly average size hands). Any plans to implement touch screen controls? The accellerometer I think could definitely help in this direction. How about touching on the left side of the screen is thrust, tapping the right side of the screen is shoot, and tilting hte phone to the left/right steering wheel style turns the ship? That way it could be played landscape mode, and would be much easier on the hands, I know I'd play it a lot more/longer. Just an idea, keep up the good work.

(and I'm fine with no sounds personally if it means the game is faster/controls better, more often then not I'm playing phone games where... well lets say it's not good to turn up the sound at all, meetings, class, throne . If sound=speed loss than it's a no-go for me)

::EDIT:: I was bored so I threw together a mockup of what I had in mind, if this helps explain it some.
    Last edited by LtTibbles; 12/30/2009 at 04:55 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by LtTibbles View Post
    Any plans to implement touch screen controls? The accellerometer I think could definitely help in this direction. How about touching on the left side of the screen is thrust, tapping the right side of the screen is shoot, and tilting hte phone to the left/right steering wheel style turns the ship? That way it could be played landscape mode, and would be much easier on the hands, I know I'd play it a lot more/longer. Just an idea, keep up the good work.
    This sounds good. I give it a try. I'm still not sure if the rotation will work. When this is done with the accelerometer then the ship is rotated twice. First a little bit physically because you tilt the phone and then virtually because the ship rotates in-game. But I'll try it out and see how it feels like.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by LtTibbles View Post
    How about touching on the left side of the screen is thrust, tapping the right side of the screen is shoot
    Damn, can't get it to work. Do you know any webOS application which uses multitouch controls? The problem is, I can't find out how to use multitouch. I was expecting to get multiple mousedown and mouseup events, but that's not the case. I get a mousedown when I touch "accelerate" and I get another mousedown when I touch "fire" but this second touch completely overrides the first one so I never get a mouseup event for the first touch, only for the second. And I can't find a special "multitouch" API in the documentation. So if "multitouch" in webOS ist just this funky zoom gesture then I'm afraid I can't use it in the game.
    maybe you can divide up the controls. leave the directional stuff on the keyboard and make the ship fire when you tap the screen.
    Last edited by threed; 12/31/2009 at 01:33 PM.
    you mentioned in your version notes that you might need some help with some of the graphic stuff for the hud and intro screen. So last night i whipped this up. I used screenshots from my pixi so its not a full pre screen size but you get the idea.

what are your thoughts?
    This is the best game for Web OS!!! I have a bunch of games, most are free ones, and a couple I have paid for. Definately a donation comming your way. Keep up the good work. Also I really like the graphics in Threed's post. As with LtTibbles, no sound is good with me especially if it means slower performance. as a interim until the "on screen" buttons get worked out, the user defined keys would be great. Thanks for the outstanding game!!!
    fist love the game I do have a weird bug that started after your last update whenever I start up the game it says level 1 but it jumps right to level 6 it does this every time even after losing the game and it restarts the next level is then 7 and it continue on from there I basically have no level 1-5 at all.

oh and +1 for classic Galaga maybe when you get done with this game you could work on that one keep up the good work these are the only games I would ever consider paying for when it hits the app catalog as long as you keep the price reasonable (a buck or 2).
    looks good.

Some hopefully constructive suggestions/things to consider for future versions, i only played it for a split second so if this is in there sorry i probably just didn't play long enough. But like ta hear it? Here it go:

-3 lives
    -bonuses, like temporary extra guns on each side. that can get knocked off.
    -Online high scores for bragging rights. high scores among other pre users in your contacts list. i don't know something along those lines. just brain storming here.
    -sound on/off in the preferences.

YOu should consider making, similar old school games like space invaders/gallaga or centipede like games.
    I would live to see some classic games as well. I grew up with playing them as a child and they will forever have a special place in my heart.

@jaklaw - thanks
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbphotos View Post
    fist love the game I do have a weird bug that started after your last update whenever I start up the game it says level 1 but it jumps right to level 6 it does this every time even after losing the game and it restarts the next level is then 7 and it continue on from there I basically have no level 1-5 at all.
    Yeah, I know. I hardcoded the start level to 5 to make some screenshots and forgot to set it back to 1 when I packaged the last version. Will be fixed in next release. This can happen in early alpha releases

these are the only games I would ever consider paying for when it hits the app catalog as long as you keep the price reasonable (a buck or 2).
    As long as Palm is charging annual fees for app authors (Even if they create free software) I'm not going to put any app into their app catalog...
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    -3 lives
    This is already implemented in some way. I decided to implement "shield" and "hull" instead of "lives" because this sounds more realistic. If you are destroyed then the game ends. There is no magic resurrection.

-bonuses, like temporary extra guns on each side. that can get knocked off.
    Yeah, I want to add something like that, too. They could also recharge the shields or repair the hull or something like that. Or the good old energy bomb (From Elite) which can be used one time to destroy everything in range.

-Online high scores for bragging rights. high scores among other pre users in your contacts list. i don't know something along those lines. just brain storming here.
    A highscore list is on top of my TODO list. But just a local one at first.

-sound on/off in the preferences.
    There is no sound so a sound setting makes no sense yet
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    This is an awesome game, and I've played all versions of it.

The latest version or two seem to have jumped from too easy to too hard.
    You go from blasting a few rocks and one saucer in levels 1 and 2, to suddenly
    having 3 flying saucers with no self preservation instint flitting about the
    screen in level 3. They move too fast to be able to turn the ship
    quickly enough to always track the closest one, which
    wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't then just ram straight into you,
    which doesn't seem like a logical move for another presumably manned
    spacecraft. Ramming is usually a last resort suicide mission in space.
    Given how many hits it takes to kill one, it's become somewhat less than fun.

ian
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    my favorite arcade game as a kid - Thanks!! great start. Can't wait to see this develop!
    I am not a programmer but I love the classic games as well, any chance of getting space invaders?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast