Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Why not this for the source:

API - XML - WunderWiki

Might be better weather source than google.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by iam4pack View Post
    Why not this for the source:

API - XML - WunderWiki

Might be better weather source than google.
    I actually had the same idea today, while waiting with everyone else for Google to update their data. It looks like Weather Underground provides a very robust data source, but their terms clearly state:

...the data that you pull from Wunderground Data Feed may only be used by you for personal, non-commercial purposes.
    Seeing as I might like to charge a buck or two for this app some day given the number of hours I've put into it, I contacted them to see what it might cost. Here's their response:

Our rates are normally in the $1000 range to get started.

Aren't they getting their data from NWS (free) and from weather aficionados who upload it (also free)?
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Well, they're also getting free weather data from my personal weather station. Plus I pay a annual fee for ad free access to the wunderground site. That's too bad. It would be neat to use your app to see my weather station data on my Pre. :-(
    monkey I just thought of a relly nice feature. Adding severe weather alerts.
    I hate to say it, but if you plan on selling this at one point, I'd work on getting it out there soon: there's already competition in the app catalog that does the same thing.
  6.    #166  
    Hi everybody. I want you to know that I am actively working on replacing the data provider for WeatherNow. This amounts to pretty significant change, so please be patient. I expect to have it done pretty soon.

The iGoogle gadget apparently uses the same source of data. It's not just WeatherNow users that are suffering: http://www.google.com.au/ig/director...in_weather.xml
    Last edited by monkeydog; 01/07/2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added iGoogle link
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Anyone know of a weather service that provides the exact same info as google? I've already built a system around reading their info, but hate that it's out of date..
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyd View Post
    Anyone know of a weather service that provides the exact same info as google? I've already built a system around reading their info, but hate that it's out of date..
    Here's a thought

a 'no I haven't found one' or no response at all would be better.
    Is there anyway to get a animated radar in the app some day? Thanks for the App.
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the help that you did for me. this is an awesome application. it is working perfectly now for me here in Tennessee. keep up the great work and thanks again.
  12.    #172  
    An update for you on the data provider change (and maybe this will help caseyd and other Googling trolls)....

• Weather Underground charges $1000 to get started using their API
    • The National Weather Service provides data for free, but only covers the U.S. (obviously).
    • Yahoo does not allow its data to be used for commercial apps
    • Weather.com expressly prohibits the use of its data on phones and PDAs
    • WeatherBug asks for 10% and requires that you submit earnings reports every month (okay if you have an accountant on staff...). Furthermore, any app that is distributed to people you don't know is considered a commercial app.
    • AccuWeather's APIs are no longer available
    • GeoNames offers weather in a nearly-unusable METAR format (and is collected at airports only)
    • World Weather Online is free but only updates once per day

So I'm not so sure about changing data providers at this point. Google seems to be working for me at the moment, is anyone still having problems?

There are a number of weather apps in the catalog and homebrew, and most of them violate the terms of use of the providers above. I do not want to do that, so for the moment I am stuck with Google, and only because Google doesn't publish any terms of use.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Have been having issues for the past couple of days, No fault of yours, We have been getting a lot of snow and the location services is having a hard time finding my location. I have it set for zipcode but it still gives the error "Invalid Results"
    Google maps won't even load for me,(It is giving me an error "Google Maps needs an internet connection)(I have one, doh) Sprint's Nav can't find me either.
    Man, I feel for you. All your hard work and now having all the provider issues. I can only imagine how frustrating it is.

Is ad supported software considered commercial?

The one thing this app definitely needs to become viable though is more weather information in the app itself. It needs to have a 3 forecast at the very least. A one day text forecast would be great too (I'd like to know how much snow we are getting).

In the meantime, just having a button that sends us to a website with our location would be a good start.

Good luck!!!
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've been using your app for several days now and I really love it. Nice and simple, unobtrusive, very nice.

I don't know if it's related but wanted to mention it to see if others are experiencing the same issue. I generally leave the app running all day but often shut it down at night. After a day to two, I'll get errors about too many card open when I try to app another app (never the same one, just any app). I end up restarting the phone which solved the problem but wonder if leaving this app running in the background so long is causing the problem. Anyone else??
  16.    #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I've been using your app for several days now and I really love it. Nice and simple, unobtrusive, very nice.

I don't know if it's related but wanted to mention it to see if others are experiencing the same issue. I generally leave the app running all day but often shut it down at night. After a day to two, I'll get errors about too many card open when I try to app another app (never the same one, just any app). I end up restarting the phone which solved the problem but wonder if leaving this app running in the background so long is causing the problem. Anyone else??
    I don't think WeatherNow is the culprit, but maybe someone can prove me wrong. I've tested it with palm-worm, which is a tool published by Palm that shows memory usage by app, and I've never seen any memory leaks or handles left open. Maybe you're having problems with another app or maybe there's a problem with webOS itself. The "too many cards" error has plagued many users, not just WeatherNow users.
    Very cool app!
    LOVE this app.
    First of all, great app monkeydog! I've come to rely on this app for quick access to the weather conditions. You've made wonderful use of the notification icon here. Google Weather actually works fairly well for my area (Western Canada) - the temperatures are usually only off my thermometer readings by 3 - 4 degrees at most.

If you do choose to make this a paid app, I hope that you will remember us outside the USA who can't pay for apps and continue to make it available as a free app as well. This could be through a version in HomeBrew, through an ad-supported free version, or through a free version that lacks features that I'm sure you will add at some point. Please don't leave us out in the cold with this app - January in Canada is cold enough already! Thanks for all your hard work.
  20.    #180  
    A new version is out, v0.0.7. This version has a couple cosmetic changes, but no major data provider change. The big news is that it is FREE FOREVER. No expiration. No ads. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Enjoy it and thank you for all the nice comments and (to a couple of you) donations. This is probably the last version for a while as I am now working on another app (stay tuned).

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast