Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I'm having a problem with the new version. It gives me a google error because it is showing the zipcode with a extra character "A" Can you parse for 5 digits.
    This is the error I get!

I got the same thing. Zip worked for me though
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    This is the error I get!

Same for me, except mine is (Midlothian, VA 23112A ;USA)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #125  
    This is why I added the location override field in the preferences. I don't know why Google Location Services returns an A on the end of some zip codes, but when it does Google's weather API returns an error. In the previous versions, it would just set an alarm and try again in 5 minutes, and sometimes that worked, but more often than not that gave the appearance that the app was hanging. This version pops up the error so at least you know what's going on.

I suggest that if you get that error frequently you override the location by entering your zip code on the preferences page. I don't think I can parse the zip code field without breaking it for non-U.S. users. I will continue to look for a better solution.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    This is why I added the location override field in the preferences. I don't know why Google Location Services returns an A on the end of some zip codes, but when it does Google's weather API returns an error. In the previous versions, it would just set an alarm and try again in 5 minutes, and sometimes that worked, but more often than not that gave the appearance that the app was hanging. This version pops up the error so at least you know what's going on.

I suggest that if you get that error frequently you override the location by entering your zip code on the preferences page. I don't think I can parse the zip code field without breaking it for non-U.S. users. I will continue to look for a better solution.
    If that is the case then you could add an option in the app to toggle USA (On|Off) Or you could extract the country first from the GPS then use a custom logic for USA addresses and another one for International.
    Like this app a lot...especially with the ability to get updates without Location Services i.e. just the zip or location.

I think it would be great if somehow there could be a little more information on the notification banner so we don't have to open the app for Hi/Lo temps, humidity, etc. Is this possible? Maybe use the rest of the first line for some of the info?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I have to agree. I've lived for 18 years in South America and wind is always measure as km/h. Just like when you drive a car speed is measure in km/h.

Awesome app!
    Yes... I think km/h is correct!!!!

so it would be fine if edited in new version...

Thanx for that great weather app...its my favourite now.!!
    Hmm... so who's right, you or frause?

In Sweden it's definitely m/s. May be km/h in other countries, though.

Visor -> m515 -> Treo 650 -> HTC TyTnII -> Treo 750 -> Treo Pro -> Prē -> Prē Plus -> Prē 2

WebOS Patches: Ringer switch icon in Top bar, Disable LightBar, Week Numbers in Calendar (ISO 8601)
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Fantastic program! Great work!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Great program. Working for me in the UK.

Hmm I can't set the preferences if I can't launch the app. I am getting the error all the time. I did get it to work once so I guess I could try out doors again.
    Btw, Celsius and SI unit option much appreciated.
    Keep up the good work.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  13. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    PalmDoc...I just launched and hurried up and hit the icon bottom right real fast before the error popped up, then the app launched and error popped up on the bottom but it was in a windowed mode to where I could tap top left for preferences and added my Zip manually and it works flawlessly.

Hope this helps
  14.    #134  
    Just published v0.0.6. Not a lot of changes in functionality, but the errors are now handled much more smoothly and webOS-like using dashboard messages instead of popups. You can tap an error message to get a more detailed description.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Is it possible to superimpose the temperature on the weather icon in the launcher? BTW, the changing weather icon in the launcher is really sweet. Great app.
  16.    #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    Is it possible to superimpose the temperature on the weather icon in the launcher? BTW, the changing weather icon in the launcher is really sweet. Great app.
    Possible? Yes. Plausible? No. The Calendar app does that... replaces its icon with one of 31 date-specific icons. WeatherNow already has 21 icons for different weather conditions. To superimpose the temperature on those icons would multiply that number by the number of degrees you needed to represent (e.g.: sunny and 40, sunny and 41, sunny and 42...). There would be a prohibitive number of icons when all was said and done.

The closest I could come realistically would be to add the number indicator that you see in the top right corner on the dashboard when you have multiple emails, tasks due, etc., but that only affects the dashboard, not the launcher icon, and you've already got the temperature on the dashboard.

I suppose the other way would be to call a web service that built the icon based on passed parameters, but I don't think I want to add that level of complexity.

Neat thought though.

How about adding moon icons for the night? Great job so far!
    the app is growing better and better,

how about editing the small icon in the right bottom corner.
    instead of the icon would it be possible to show the degrees??

thx...
  19.    #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysdon04 View Post
    How about adding moon icons for the night? Great job so far!
    I've thought about that. It would involve another call to get the sunrise/sunset times, plus a bunch more icons. It's on the list, a little ways down.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kadir View Post
    the app is growing better and better,

how about editing the small icon in the right bottom corner.
    instead of the icon would it be possible to show the degrees??

thx...
    That would be really cool. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that and don't think it's possible. Right now the small icon loosely mirrors the large app launcher icon. I change the large icon and the small icon changes too, but only sometimes changes to the same icon. It's weird. I don't know of any way to sync them up, much less change it to a specific icon. Worth researching some more, though.
    Last edited by monkeydog; 01/05/2010 at 09:44 AM.

i tried running this thing a couple of times and i still get the "Getting location and weather, please wait..." message. Even after waiting 15 minutes and restarting the app.

why do you hate me?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast