Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    WHen you do universal search for you app the icon doesn't display right.
    Well, that's pretty irritating. I'll have that fixed in the next version, although I see that more as a webOS issue than a WeatherNow issue.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

2.    #62  
    I am running your latest version but I still can't get it to connect.
    Blame Google. Their API occasionally returns null or sometimes an empty XML. When that happens, there's nothing the app can do but set a timer and try again in 5 minutes. Normally you don't notice it because it just takes a little longer between updates, but you definitely notice it when it happens right after you launch the application. Try it again in a little while and see if it improves.

The Google weather API is undocumented/unsupported, but the best one out there for this purpose. I'll see what I can do to smooth the edges out.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Nice app, but I couldn't get it to update (Stockholm, Sweden).

This works:
    Code:
    address = address.substring(begin).replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,''); // just main address, trimmed
    Code:
    2009-12-30T22:29:20.572296Z [9176] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: org.munson.weathernow: Error: Found GPS coordinates ( 59.415775 , 17.908978 ), file:///var/usr/palm/applications/org.munson.weathernow/index.html:0
    2009-12-30T22:29:20.801177Z [9176] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: org.munson.weathernow: Error: Found user address: Mariehamnsgatan 3 ;16471 Stockholm ;Sweden, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/org.munson.weathernow/index.html:0
    2009-12-30T22:29:20.804382Z [9176] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: org.munson.weathernow: Error: Trimmed: 16471 Stockholm ;Sweden, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/org.munson.weathernow/index.html:0

This does not:
    Code:
    address = address.substring(begin, end).replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,''); // just main address, trimmed
    Code:
    2009-12-30T22:26:35.386199Z [9132] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: org.munson.weathernow: Error: Found user address: Mariehamnsgatan 3 ;16471 Stockholm ;Sweden, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/org.munson.weathernow/index.html:0
    2009-12-30T22:26:35.389282Z [9132] palm-webos-device user.crit LunaSysMgr: {LunaSysMgrJS}: org.munson.weathernow: Error: Trimmed: 16471 Stockholm, file:///var/usr/palm/applications/org.munson.weathernow/index.html:0
    Windspeed in m/s would be sweet too!
    This app has not worked since I installed it. It keeps saying Getting location & weather. My location services are turned on. How do you change the preferences? I even restarted my phone. Any suggestions?
    monkeydog I just sent you an email with my log information.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by brighteyes View Post
    This app has not worked since I installed it. It keeps saying Getting location & weather. My location services are turned on. How do you change the preferences? I even restarted my phone. Any suggestions?
    To change your preferences, tap on the banner or dashboard to open the card view, then pull down the menu in the top left and select Preferences.

Do you know how to view your log? Can you send it to me? You'll have to put your phone in developer mode to do it. Some people are having problems because Google is not finding their city correctly. I'm guessing that's what's happening. I'll keep working on this and see if I can work around it. In the meantime I doubt changing your preferences will help.

7.    #67  
    monkeydog I just sent you an email with my log information.
    I was right. It's Google's fault. The app uses Google to convert your latitude and longitude into a street address. In your case it is returning Fort Worth, TX 76115A. I don't know why it's putting an A on the end of the zip code, but when you send that zip code to Google's weather API, it fails.

That's a tricky one. To fix it I would have to validate and correct the address. I can't think of a way to do that without getting very country-specific and parsing the address fields.

One thing's for sure, I need to do even more work on handling errors from Google.

8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    Windspeed in m/s would be sweet too!
    Google only returns it in miles per hour, but if you're going to debug my code for me, I guess I could throw a conversion in there for you.

Mange takk! (That's Norwegian... is it the same in Sweden?)

Actually it should be 76119.
    I know how to put my phone in developer mode but I don't know how to view my log
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    type "grep weathernow /var/log/messages > /media/internal/grep.txt" and send the grep.txt file to weathernow@munson.org? (I realize I need a better way of displaying errors.)
    Google only returns it in miles per hour, but if you're going to debug my code for me, I guess I could throw a conversion in there for you.
    Cool! The whole location thing can be kind of tricky to test, I guess.
    Mange takk! (That's Norwegian... is it the same in Sweden?)
    Well, close enough. Tack så mycket!
    Well done and thanks for the new update! Both the features I wanted were implemented within days of me asking. Thanks again
    Love it this is just like how other apps should run like stocks and news feeds,etc. this is like a widget but not taking up the space on your background Thanks..
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Version 0.0.4 has been submitted. Watch for it to appear on PreCentral soon.

Features include:
    • Better error handling (no longer appears to hang when GPS is disabled)
    • Configurable update frequencies to save battery
    • Ability to report in Fahrenheit or Celsius
    • Ability to run in the background even after the dashboard has been closed
    • Ability to suppress wind and humidity on banners and dashboard
    Very nice use of notifications, and location services! I don't think there is another weather app that does this.

Is there any chance this app will make it to the app catalog? (...for those who don't brew at home?)
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Well done and thanks for the new update! Both the features I wanted were implemented within days of me asking. Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake1030 View Post
    Love it this is just like how other apps should run like stocks and news feeds,etc. this is like a widget but not taking up the space on your background Thanks..
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Very nice use of notifications, and location services! I don't think there is another weather app that does this.

Is there any chance this app will make it to the app catalog? (...for those who don't brew at home?)
    Ah, it's nice to wake up to positive comments. The location services stuff was making me pull my hair out yesterday.

Yes, it'll probably make it to the App Catalog eventually. Still have to work on the error handling a bit and maybe add a feature or two.

<shameless plea/>
    If you like it (and even if you don't I suppose) please consider rating it on the application page. It's only got 5 ratings so far and I think they're only from people who had problems with earlier versions.
    </shameless plea>

...please consider rating it on the application page.
    </shameless plea>
    +5 stars for you for having the best weather app. It's a shame you can't leave comments on the application page to explain that it's improved since the 2 star ratings were given.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblake1030 View Post
    Exactly how I feel. Hoping for more programs like this. I don't want to open an app for a quick check of the weather (or similar quick info) cause I always forget. Hit me a notification and I'll always be reminded.

Hoping for a zip code entry field. I have my gps off to save battery and weathernow seems to ask me to allow location service every time it updates. I've added my rating.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I live in Cincinnati OH (45237) and it never gets past getting location and weather. Interestingly, when I click on google from that screen it will go to the weather for cincinnati.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast