webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/18/2009, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok, after a quite long time and lot of other similar projects appearing I think I should start to release me combination between OSM map display, GPS logger, sun compass and Geocacher tool: MapTool.

Features:
  • Interface to PreCaching to show caches on map
  • OpenStreetMap from 4 different sources
  • offline maps (in directory .MapTool on your internal drive)
  • GPS logger (every 10 second) (on/off)
  • displaying old tracks
  • Real ground elevation for the current location (every minute from NASA sources)
  • Send my position
  • Targets
  • GeoCaches from preCaching or imported from .loc files
  • Sun compass
  • Find geocaches near-by

At the moment there is no way to access older GPS logs.
You can send the current log as GPX formatted text to any email address. Then you can copy the content and paste it into a single file for further use.
If you have the FileMgr from CanuckSoftware installed, it will create real GPX files on your device.

You can read more about here: http://metaviewsoft.de/wordpress/?p=331 This is also the link to download the tool to create offline maps.

Enjoy,
Henk
Attached Images
File Type: png screen1.png (181.5 KB, 766 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png screen2.png (138.3 KB, 490 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png screen3.png (30.3 KB, 408 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png screen4.png (144.9 KB, 393 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png screen5.png (34.0 KB, 351 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by MetaView; 01/22/2010 at 08:52 AM.
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2009, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

na, her damit!
conum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2009, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

not online yet... We have to wait
Thanked By: beekay83
Old 12/20/2009, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's online
Old 12/20/2009, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

This may be the program I am looking for. I don't yet have a pre as I am waiting for the next gen (pre plus?)with more memory, but this program makes the waiting unbearable. I do have a couple of questions though

1) Does this get maps from the open streetmap server so the map is always updated, or can you download maps and see you position on a homemade map in the the open streetmap format?

2) If you can download maps to the device to use, and you apply the patch to put your pre in standalone GPS mode (link below) can this program be used without cell reception?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

One of my hangups with the pre is the fact that it is next to useless for travel to europe as the GPS is disabled, and when I am hiking or geocaching in an area with no reception there is no possibility to use maps.
mn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2009, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

1) not at the moment, Maps aren't cached (even if I already add code for it) nor is it possible to use downloaded maps. At the moment I'm working on both fronts and I'm sure the next update (in a week) will bring the ability to use pre-stored maps. It will be similar to the way I did it in the PalmOS software 2TrackMe.

2) Yes. No cell reception if the GPS works without. If you have the correct OSM tiles stored you will even see the map. If not, it should come with just a white background.
Old 12/20/2009, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. By the way 2Track me looks to be an absolutely brilliant program. As I am on the verge of buying a pre, I have not invested much in the palmOS platform, but I will likely buy it anyway since I have so many palms laying around, and it could be useful some time as a second gps. Why were there not more developers like you working on OSM map stuff? I would have loved this program a few years ago.

I am glad to hear that you are working on a downloadable maps version for OSM. For me this is the killer app since I work with maps all day long. Is this free since it it beta? I would be happy to buy an app like this.
mn23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2009, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

2TrackMe is around since a year maybe. I think it's quite useful and matured especially thinking of the very basic support of the old PalmOS for http requests and stuff.

MapTool will be free at least for the next couple of updates. Maybe when I think it's matured enough (and the German AppCatalog supports buying) I start to sell it for a low price.

Thx
Thanked By: mn23
Old 12/21/2009, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for this. I was wondering why nobody had created a GPS program using OpenStreetMaps for WebOS. It just seemed to make since. Google doesn't like it's maps API being using for anything except websites, so why not use a datastore that is free and open?

I just loaded it on my Pre and it seems really sluggish when trying to pan and it doesn't support pinch and stretch gestures. I imagine those are probably pretty low on your "todo" list, but that are really nice ways to navigate maps. Also, it seems to have me pinpointed off by about 1000 yards. I don't know if it is the GPS data that is off, or the map alignment, I have no other GPS device to check the cords with.
dbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Try to check with google maps to verify the position. The phone falls back to cell tower position if it can't establish a gps fix. Check the error of your position should be less than 20 meters for a gps fix.
Old 12/21/2009, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

It stayed inaccurate until I opened Google Maps then it started updating the GPS every few seconds. Too much actually, it started draining my battery like crazy. It was not updating the GPS at all except on program restarts until I pulled up GMaps. Even after I closed GMaps it kept refreshing the GPS. Not sure what the deal was.
Old 12/21/2009, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Very strange. It is supposed to update every 10 seconds. Which is surely not too often for a tracker...
Old 12/21/2009, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have verified that it is not updating the GPS cords at all. The last update was 5PM earlier(it's 9:50PM here). I haven't tried pulling up GMaps again yet. The Err is 150m currently.

Just loaded GMaps, GPS updates fine on it, didn't trigger anything MapTool though. When it went crazy, it was updating at once every five seconds. Not sure why that was.
Old 12/21/2009, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just down loaded this app to see what it was about and it looks really kool. The only thing is I can not get it to show a map of my town. I dont really understand it all really. I dont understand the "Renderer" in "Preferences" or anything like that. I dont know if I am doing something wrong. I some how got it to show a map of CA. but i can seem to zoom in...
jjsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2009, 09:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

To zoom in and out click the plus and minus symbols.
Old 12/22/2009, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

go to OpenStreetMap and see the different renderer.
Old 12/22/2009, 07:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

interesting app...

but here is just an observation.

Some of us do not know what to do with this, so in some post somewhere (most software developers do it in the first post) please give us a step by step "how to" so those of us that think that this would be something that we can use, can actually try it. I am looking for a program that I can log my routes on a daily basis and save them for future use, and I think that this is what this program does, but since I have never played with OpenStreet, it would be a good idea to give us an idea how to use your program... especially if you ever want us to purchase it in the future... but that is just my opinion... you may not want people to purchase this, or don't care... it is up to you.
Zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

I found this app and am loving it so far. One question, where can I use the GPS log files on my PC?
Thanks for the app
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 10:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey, cool! I downloaded it last night and used it to track my way through town as I drove to work this morning. Lots of dead spots apparently as the track would go back and forth and jump around, but all in all it worked well!
dcigary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 10:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

so I downloaded this app... I figured out how to email the track, but here is a question for the general masses. How do I get that file to a .gpx file? Is it just a simple, copy to notepad or whatever, and save it as .gpx, then upload it to openstreets?
Zoso is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0