webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
  Reply
Like Tree3Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10/09/2012, 01:24 PM   #681 (permalink)
Member
 
Jochen K.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by explor202 View Post
if I do more than one level, it simply displays the message that there are zero tiles remaining and around unknown minutes left. Am I doing something wrong? I want to cache the entire Midwest, if not the whole USA.
Hi,

are you on WiFi? What renderer do you try to cache
?

Jochen
Jochen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:00 PM   #682 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
Hi,

are you on WiFi? What renderer do you try to cache
?

Jochen
Yup, I'm on WiFi and it doesn't matter what renderer I select (but have been mostly trying Map Quest and Mapnik)
explor202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 02:05 PM   #683 (permalink)
Member
 
Jochen K.'s Avatar
 
Posts: 224
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling (having exported your tracks and POIs)?
Jochen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2012, 02:17 PM   #684 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling (having exported your tracks and POIs)?
I didn't uninstall yet, I removed 4.0 and installed 4.5 so I don't think it would help. I'm running JTileDownloader right now to see how that works out.
explor202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 07:38 PM   #685 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 76
I thought that I had figured out how to use the program, but on my last trip things did not work as expected. I had prepared for the trip by downloading maps in the various zoom levels for the areas I was travelling to. The maps were saved in the Mapquest and Mapnik folders under .MapTool. When I got to my destination none of the maps showed up. I tried changing the renderer to Mapquest, Mapnik and even offline, still no maps. I could load and see my preloaded targets and tracks but no maps. What did I do wrong? I was not connected to the internet during this.

After I got to the hotel, I connected and fast cached all the maps all over again, that allowed me to see the maps. But what happened to the preloaded maps?

Something else strange also happened, This occurred after the latest update, but I don't know if it was related. In order to get driving directions between my POIs, I was setting a start location, then a target, then route to target. MapTool Pro indicated a track file was saved and I was given the file name. However, I couldn't get the track to show up in the track list, even after importing it separately. I'm not sure why this didn't work after the upgrade becase I had been following this procedure prior and it worked perfectly. After running route to target, the route automatically showed up in the track list--I did not even need to import it. But after the upgrade, no route, even after importing.

What changed? Is there a limit to the number of tracks that can be displayed in the track list? I tried deleting a few, but that did not change the situation.

Can you provide insight?

Last edited by traveld; 10/24/2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spell check
traveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:37 PM   #686 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by explor202 View Post
Just bought Pro after playing around with the free and a older version I found. But I am confused on how I can cache multiple zoom levels at one time. When I try to do something any more than 2 levels, nothing happens. If I do one level, it shows me as it's downloading the .png's. But if I do more than one level, it simply displays the message that there are zero tiles remaining and around unknown minutes left. Am I doing something wrong? I want to cache the entire Midwest, if not the whole USA.
The entire Midwest? How big is this. Never tried such a big area. Which zoom levels do you try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveld View Post
I thought that I had figured out how to use the program, but on my last trip things did not work as expected. I had prepared for the trip by downloading maps in the various zoom levels for the areas I was travelling to. The maps were saved in the Mapquest and Mapnik folders under .MapTool. When I got to my destination none of the maps showed up. I tried changing the renderer to Mapquest, Mapnik and even offline, still no maps. I could load and see my preloaded targets and tracks but no maps. What did I do wrong? I was not connected to the internet during this.

After I got to the hotel, I connected and fast cached all the maps all over again, that allowed me to see the maps. But what happened to the preloaded maps?
From tiem to time it happens that MapTool loses all its settings and every setting (renderer, multiple map folders) are set to default: "Mapnik" and no "multiple map folders". You might check this. Both settings affect the place where MapTool is looking for cached map tiles.

Quote:
Something else strange also happened, This occurred after the latest update, but I don't know if it was related. In order to get driving directions between my POIs, I was setting a start location, then a target, then route to target. MapTool Pro indicated a track file was saved and I was given the file name. However, I couldn't get the track to show up in the track list, even after importing it separately. I'm not sure why this didn't work after the upgrade becase I had been following this procedure prior and it worked perfectly. After running route to target, the route automatically showed up in the track list--I did not even need to import it. But after the upgrade, no route, even after importing.

What changed? Is there a limit to the number of tracks that can be displayed in the track list? I tried deleting a few, but that did not change the situation.

Can you provide insight?
From time to time the webservice used for calculating the route is not able to produce a route but still responses with something to download. It then ends into a 0-byte file. Maybe I should add some checks for this condition and display a proper error message
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:41 PM   #687 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
The entire Midwest? How big is this. Never tried such a big area. Which zoom levels do you try?
I don't know about the size, but at first I tried levels 9 and 16 (it really doesn't matter what level, selecting two just doesn't work).
explor202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/25/2012, 12:50 PM   #688 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
From tiem to time it happens that MapTool loses all its settings and every setting (renderer, multiple map folders) are set to default: "Mapnik" and no "multiple map folders". You might check this. Both settings affect the place where MapTool is looking for cached map tiles.


From time to time the webservice used for calculating the route is not able to produce a route but still responses with something to download. It then ends into a 0-byte file. Maybe I should add some checks for this condition and display a proper error message
OK. I did check the settings, but I'm not sure if I checked the Multiple map folders. However, I would like to be sure that I am doing this correctly. 1) make sure multiple map folders is selected. 2) If i have preloaded maps in the Mapnik folder, select that as the Renderer and all of the pre-loaded maps should show up?

I noticed that maps are also stored in the directory above the renderer (Mapnik/Mapquest) folders. When are those maps used?

Yes, that would be helpful, if that is the case. It is frustrating when you think you are doing it right and the program lets you think you are doing it right, but the expected results are not available.

Thanks
traveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/26/2012, 02:44 AM   #689 (permalink)
Member
 
steinhage's Avatar
 
Posts: 43
Questions: I recorded a 1 hour 6 minutes and 46 seconds run. And now the export fails: Export as GPX - create mail - 2 EMail(s) will be created... Nothing happens! A shorter route that fits in 1 email is no problem. What should I do to export via email? A second question/problem is that Runkeeper returns an error when I want to import the file I created from the mail into Runkeeper... Any thougts about these 2 questions?
__________________
Palm Pre2 (mar 2011) running 2.2.4 + HP Touchpad 32GB (sep 2011) running 3.0.5 + Pixi Plus (may 2012) running 1.4.5
Previous devices: Palm Treo 750 (feb 2007) - Palm Tungsten T (may 2005) - Palm IIIc (2001) - Palm III (1998)
steinhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 03:36 PM   #690 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2vt View Post

I downloaded maps with the adapted java tool from Opencyclemap.org (they are TOPO maps!!!) and stored them on "internal/MapTool" per instructions
This is a great app and the TOPO maps are exactly what I want.

I can't for the life of me work out how to download the topo tiles though. If I choose Mapnik as the renderer, I get the standard map. If I attempt to use any other Tileserver, I don't get any tiles.
I've tried putting Opencyclemap.org in as the Alt. Tileserver, I've tried using it to give me a permalink. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
nzpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 03:41 PM   #691 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Hike'n'Bike maps is what I use everyday. And the server still serves map tiles. I've just tested it.

@steinhage: install the FileMgr service from Preware. MapTool would use it to export tracks.
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 04:07 PM   #692 (permalink)
Member
 
steinhage's Avatar
 
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
@steinhage: install the FileMgr service from Preware. MapTool would use it to export tracks.
Sorry, installed FileMgr, rebooted (first Luna, then system) and there's no difference... MapTool gets stuck with the screen:

Send GPX
2 EMail(s) will be created. Please copy ...
__________________
Palm Pre2 (mar 2011) running 2.2.4 + HP Touchpad 32GB (sep 2011) running 3.0.5 + Pixi Plus (may 2012) running 1.4.5
Previous devices: Palm Treo 750 (feb 2007) - Palm Tungsten T (may 2005) - Palm IIIc (2001) - Palm III (1998)
steinhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 11:50 PM   #693 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 27
Thanks for the rapid response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
Hike'n'Bike maps is what I use everyday. And the server still serves map tiles. I've just tested it.

I must be doing something really stupid then.
Have attached a screen-grab of what I'm filling in in jTileDownloader.
I get the directory structure created in the output directory, but "File not found" for every tile.
Attached Images
File Type: png jTileDownloader.png (29.6 KB, 6 views) Email Attachment
nzpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 01:29 AM   #694 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpling View Post
Thanks for the rapid response,




I must be doing something really stupid then.
Have attached a screen-grab of what I'm filling in in jTileDownloader.
I get the directory structure created in the output directory, but "File not found" for every tile.
I don't know about jTileDownloader, I only use MapTool Pro's build-in downloader / smart-caching feature. And this works for me.
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 01:31 AM   #695 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhage View Post
Sorry, installed FileMgr, rebooted (first Luna, then system) and there's no difference... MapTool gets stuck with the screen:

Send GPX
2 EMail(s) will be created. Please copy ...
"Force GPX-Email" is unchecked in settings?
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 01:33 AM   #696 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveld View Post
I noticed that maps are also stored in the directory above the renderer (Mapnik/Mapquest) folders. When are those maps used?
When you uncheck "Multiple Map-folders" or when you select "Offline" as renderer, map tiles are searched directly in .MapTool/ folder.
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 02:02 AM   #697 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpling View Post
Thanks for the rapid response,




I must be doing something really stupid then.
Have attached a screen-grab of what I'm filling in in jTileDownloader.
I get the directory structure created in the output directory, but "File not found" for every tile.
OK, I sorted this.
need to put the 'tile server' URL into the Alt Tile Server section, not simply the web URL:
http://tile.opencyclemap.org/cycle/
(including the http)

A list of tileservers is available at Map Sources - Geocaching Map Enhancements

A great alternative to jtiledownloader is Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC)
Can produce tiles for a variety of apps (select OSMTracker for MapTool) from a variety of sources. I am in NZ , and it allows me to produce tiles from the LINZ Topo50 maps.
nzpling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 01:24 AM   #698 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 76
Something very strange is happening and I cannot figure it out. I attempted to download, I guess what was too many map tiles from MOBAC. Although there is nothing I could find that establishe a limit, a number of the map tiles were replaced with "Access Denied" due to overuse of the server.

I was able to manually remove almost all of these tiles and fill in the blank areas using MapTool. I was able to clean up all of my maps except level 14. There were about 10-12 tiles that I could not remove. I tried a number of things to clear these defective map tiles, I even deleted the entire level 14 folder and took the TP offline to ensure nothing was loading in the background. To no avail!

No matter what I tried, even with the folder empty, as soon as I started MapTool in Level 14, all of the same defective tiles showed up along with other areas of the map, even though I had just emptied the entire folder. I could not find anywhere where these tiles were coming from.

I even went as far as deleting MOBAC 1.9.8 from my computer and reloading it and downloading a new set of maps. That did not work, I loaded MOBAC 1.9.9 and a new set of level 14 maps. That did not work either. Nothing I tried worked to remove the defective map tiles from showing up in MapTool.

Where was MapTool getting these tiles from? The TP was offline, so there was no smart caching going on. The folder was empty before starting MaPTool, but after closing the program after seeing the defective tiles, there miraculously were tiles in the folder again. A complete mystery to me. Can you explain what is happening? It's always the same tiles that are defective, no matter what I tried to get rid of them.

Thanks
traveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 11:50 PM   #699 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
I would like to have an option that mirrors all the map imagery top-to-bottom (just the map; not the controls, menus, etc.). Then I could rest my Touchpad face-up on my car's dashboard, and its reflection in my windshield would give me a heads-up display, so that I wouldn't have to keep looking down at the map while I'm driving. See the attached mockup image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MapTool Pro HUD.jpg (30.9 KB, 7 views) Email Attachment
DZobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 04:41 AM   #700 (permalink)
Member
 
MetaView's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveld View Post
Where was MapTool getting these tiles from? The TP was offline, so there was no smart caching going on. The folder was empty before starting MaPTool, but after closing the program after seeing the defective tiles, there miraculously were tiles in the folder again. A complete mystery to me. Can you explain what is happening? It's always the same tiles that are defective, no matter what I tried to get rid of them.
I honestly don't know. Maybe webOS is caching stuff and recreating them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZobel View Post
I would like to have an option that mirrors all the map imagery top-to-bottom (just the map; not the controls, menus, etc.). Then I could rest my Touchpad face-up on my car's dashboard, and its reflection in my windshield would give me a heads-up display, so that I wouldn't have to keep looking down at the map while I'm driving. See the attached mockup image.
I will do it.
__________________
Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MartinH@webos likes this.
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0