Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Hi,

I just had to reinstall MapTool Pro, because the Caching had become unusable - it would show the same file names over and over and never count down; in the just downloaded version suddenly the Manual Track option has vanished.

Hopefully not for good, but only for some fine tuning?

Regards,

Jochen
  2.    #662  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Hi,

I just had to reinstall MapTool Pro, because the Caching had become unusable - it would show the same file names over and over and never count down; in the just downloaded version suddenly the Manual Track option has vanished.

Hopefully not for good, but only for some fine tuning?

Regards,

Jochen
    The 4.2.0 version should have the "Define man. Track" option beneath the "Tracks" item in the popup menu. The manual track is supposed to define a track you want to follow. It should also work together with a current tracking. I will check this and probably enhance it a bit.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Been spending all night trying to upload this GPX file into MapTool, with no success at all.

I was sent the GPX file, the file loads in, but only 3 of the POIs got imported, no track. Also had to rename it because MapTool couldn't recognize the file name.

Tried converting it using GPSVisualizer to KML, a track with one point got imported...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  4.    #664  
    MapTool can only import files with tracks or with POIs but not both together. Then you launch MapTool with a file containing both types it will first check for POIs and then only import them. To import the track info, you open the track list and do the import from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    MapTool can only import files with tracks or with POIs but not both together. Then you launch MapTool with a file containing both types it will first check for POIs and then only import them. To import the track info, you open the track list and do the import from there.
    Well I couldn't find Import POI, but it did the POI import when I was importing via the tracks list. So I have to manually split the file?
    I tried taking out the wpt entries in the XML, didn't work. MapTool won't even recognize the route file.
    Two questions, actually:

1. When I try Tiles@Home I never get any maps.
    Are they simply not active in Europe, or what's the reason?

2. What's the meaning of the "Custom" item at the bottom of the list?

Regards,

Jochen
  8.    #668  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I tried taking out the wpt entries in the XML, didn't work. MapTool won't even recognize the route file.
    MapTool only imports tracks with <trkpt> elements. <wpt> elements are only imported as targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Two questions, actually:

1. When I try Tiles@Home I never get any maps.
    Are they simply not active in Europe, or what's the reason?

2. What's the meaning of the "Custom" item at the bottom of the list?
    I guess Tiles@home is dead. Custom is used to setup your own tile server and then you can enter it's address into the custom server field and select custom as renderer. This might be a way to even add google into the renderers. But it would still need a way to specify the tile extension first.
    I guess Tiles@home is dead.
    Thanks for the info.

How about removing that item from the menu?

Regards,

Jochen
    Hi,

last night I fooled around a bit with the various renderers - amongst other things I looked at their look and feel in various countries - it varies quite widely for each renderer.

One problem cropped up again and again: I would go to zoom level 5 and zip around the world, and
    sooner or later (on average maybe after moving four or five screens, though once I managed a complete "journey" between the limits of -180° and +179.x° without problem) MapTool would freeze, the Pre's clock would stop and though notifications still appeared and could be dismissed, I couldn't start any new apps.

Once I waited for about half an hour, occasionally trying various things, and suddenly everything worked again.

Is this a known effect?

Regards,

Jochen
  11.    #671  
    Sounds like ****ty memory management. I don't know if I can help it somehow.
    MapTool only imports tracks with <trkpt> elements. <wpt> elements are only imported as targets.
    I think the issue is with the routes using Garmin extensions, the route shows up as gpxx:rpt instead of trkpt. I suppose there isn't a plan to support that?
  13.    #673  
    Well, I just added <rtept> maybe I will look into <gpxx:rpt> too (if it's not to far from <trkpt>
    I have Maptool pro & am still unclear about saving/retreiving specific cached maps...maybe I've missed an explanation somewhere in searching threads & blogs.

My question is: Can I save and retreive a full map other than the last one I've actually cached? If so, exactly how is this done?

I can open Maptool, and it shows me the last map I was looking at, even if I don't have bluetooth or wifi activated, but how do I get it to show some other set that I specifically cached in the past? I see references to that, but no specifics on how to name, file, and recover a certain set (Florence, italy, for example). Is there something I need to set in the MapTool PREFERENCES menu to enable this?

If I go into Internalz, Maptool, I can see folders by layer (10, 11, 12, etc.), then four-digit numbered folders under each layer, then xxxx.png (numbered) files that open to show what are apparently the individual cached tiles. None of this enables me to find the full set of tiles for a specifically saved location/set.

Am I missing something here? Is the only way to really use this is to save the set of maps you're going to use first, and then after you've been to that area, find a wifi connection and load the set you plan to use next, then repeat, repeat? If this is the case, that's really clunky if you're moving from one town to another with unknown internet availability. Would it not make sense for the cache function to allow the creation of a folder you could name and save to, then reopen with all that set of tiles when you need that particular location again? Does it do this and I'm just too dense to understand it (a real possibility )? Help.

Edit: have I found my own answer? Did this:
    1) While online, searched for a location, zoomed thru the levels I wanted to use, then cached that set.
    2) before leaving that map display, went to the bottom center button, slected targets, then new target , named it (Milan, Italy), & then hit OK to save it.
    3) Left that location by going to another search, then turned off wifi.
    4) Using center bottom button on Maptool, selected targets, list targets then tap-selected Milan and chose center on map
    5) Map went to that location & that cached set was useable.
    Is this the procedure? if so, I wasn't able to previously find the specific instructions. Is it just me, or should this be spelled out somewhere?
    Last edited by Cathammer; 08/29/2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: possible answer?
  15.    #675  
    Thank you for buying MapTool Pro.

You don't actually load maps on your device, MapTool Pro shows the whole world as far as defined in OpenStreetMap. The whole world is divided in up to 18 zoom levels, with 1st zoom level covering the whole world in one 256x256 pixel map tile, 2nd in 4 map tiles, 3rd in16 map tiles and so far. Whenever you try to display a part of the world in a certain zoom level for which MapTool Pro doesn't find a map tile on your device, its downloaded from the internet and stored on your device for later use (folders 10, 11, 12 are zoom levels, the folders inside are y-coordinates of the respecting tiles stored in it).

When you cached Florence/Italy in say zoom level 10 to 14 before, you will always be able to see it when you move the map there (either because you are there, or you move the map manually to it or use the search function zoom menu->'Search Places...') the cached map tiles will be used to display the map when you are between zoom level 10 and 14.

For convenience there are different renderers which make different looking maps. You can select 'Multiple Map Folders' to separate the tiles by renderer. That's helpful if you want to see your home town one time with a more road centered renderer (MapQuest) or another time with a more bike/pedestrian centered renderer (bike & hike).

Beside from the search function which only works over the internet, you can also save certain Targets which can bring you to a given point in the world very fast: zoom menu->Targets->List Targets. In the app menu there is a help item at the very bottom.

If things are still unclear, just ask.
    Thanks a bunch for the extra info (posted while I was editing my inquiry)! I see your last instruction also basically confirms my (edited)solution of saving and retreiving "targets".
    Last edited by Cathammer; 08/29/2012 at 12:23 PM.
    In the last few days I run into deep troubles after my /var file partition was filled up (100% on my Pre3 ATT 2.2.4 and to 96% on my TP64GB 3.0.5). Fortunately I was able to fix this now - after reading the tip at Fix "Not Enough Storage to Download" error (homebrew) | webOS Nation
    Overtime the file /var/luna/data/downloadhistory.db has become huge (25-30 MByte) and that filled up the /var partition.
    Inspecting this file shows that on my Pre3 at least 2/3 of the file size is due to downloading tiles in maptool from tile.openstreetmap.org. During my trip preparation I used "Cache Area" a lot and downloaded thousands of map tiles. (I also manually copied over a huge number of tiles from my TP to the Pre3 into the .Maptool subdirs.)

From reading other forum posts I know that Henk is somewhat aware of this problem. But I could not find a discussion in this MapTool thread. I think this issue needs to be addressed in Maptool somehow.
    It appears that every download of a map tile adds another 1 KByte to the downloadhistory.db file. (I don't know what the file is good for or who reads from this file.)
    1. This history entry is automatically added to this db file and I don't know if there is a way to avoid this. Perhaps there is an option with the download manager not to record this to the history file. Or the history file can be disabled for all apps?
    2. If there is no way to avoid adding to the history then Maptool might want to check the free disc space under /var before downloading map tiles. If less than 10% free space is available then Maptool could display a warning and if free space is less than 5% then an error could be presented to the user that the disc space under /var/luna/data is low and no further downloads can be done until more disc space becomes available. (See this known webos problem: Fix "Not Enough Storage to Download" error (homebrew) | webOS Nation )
    3. At least maptool documentation should point out that there is a high risk that downloading many map tiles can fill up the /var disc space and this can result in a number of serious problems for webos and other apps. (In my case I could not start some other apps like navit and I could not download app updates or download items from preware. I could not even use the alarm clock and some webos options could be changed any longer . )

I did encounter these above problems before installing the latest 4.4.0 version of Mapping Tool (Pro) - but I assume the same behavior is in this latest version too.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just bought Pro after playing around with the free and a older version I found. But I am confused on how I can cache multiple zoom levels at one time. When I try to do something any more than 2 levels, nothing happens. If I do one level, it shows me as it's downloading the .png's. But if I do more than one level, it simply displays the message that there are zero tiles remaining and around unknown minutes left. Am I doing something wrong? I want to cache the entire Midwest, if not the whole USA.
    Try to use special programs for caching maps, for example Mobile atlas creator
    Phone: HP Veer
    Jabber: shura0@ya.ru
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shura View Post
    Try to use special programs for caching maps, for example Mobile atlas creator
    Thanks, I messed with that over the weekend. Mostly tells me my selection area is too large and to try again.