Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #561  
    Moving map? This is what MapTool does in first place. To create offline maps, you have the map caching feature which just caches every map tile you have watched, the cache area feature from the app menu and you can use apps like mobile atlas creator on your desktop to prepare offline tiles:

Palm Pre Offline Gps Maps Working Perfectly ! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

You can display a second track on your map and I guess it might be quite easy to follow it then.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    Moving map? This is what MapTool does in first place. To create offline maps, you have the map caching feature which just caches every map tile you have watched, the cache area feature from the app menu and you can use apps like mobile atlas creator on your desktop to prepare offline tiles:

Palm Pre Offline Gps Maps Working Perfectly ! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

You can display a second track on your map and I guess it might be quite easy to follow it then.
    I understand that it is a moving map and I can cache the current maps offline. What I would like to find out if there is a map that can be used that are aviation based.
  3.    #563  
    Quote Originally Posted by jabramson View Post
    I understand that it is a moving map and I can cache the current maps offline. What I would like to find out if there is a map that can be used that are aviation based.
    I don't know of any OpenStreetMap-based aviation map. But you might have some aviation maps bought or find some free in the Internet which you then could convert using the Atlas Creator application into OSM compatible tiles. The tiles then go in to the USB mounted drive of your webOS device in the folder .MapTool (the dot makes it a hidden directory).
    Can a .tif file be converted by Atlas Creator. One source I use for these is Sectional Raster Aeronautical Charts

There are also online versions such as from RunwayFinder - Aeronautical Charts - Flight Planning

So is there any way to use Atlas creator to create OSM compatible tiles?

Apparently there is also http://www.chartbundle.com/charts/ which I just saw when looking up Atlas creator. So I guess the next step is to figure out how to use Atlas creator to create the map for the program.
  5.    #565  
    hm, maybe someone else can give a qualified answer. I'm sure I've read about a way to import map scans with some calibration points on the corners. But if it was with Atlas Creator, I'm not sure. I will check it tomorrow. It's already quite late in middle Europe
    IMHO it is not easy to put a web address into MOBAC if it's not included yet.
    I have successfully used MAPC2MAPC (Mapping programs) to convert raster scans with calibration data into OSM tile storage attlas (this is the name of the atlases for MapTool).
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    This app has been a lifesaver while in India.

The only issue I have with it is that the screen rotation is set to Free, and I can't seem to change it. In the preferences, when I switch it from 'Free' to anything else, and hit the OK button, it does not respect the change. I'm running it on a Veer, dunno if that makes a difference.
  8.    #568  
    Good question, I will try it on a Veer tonight. But, the screen rotation feature is implemented in a way, that it will not survive an app relaunch. You only set it for this app session and on relaunch you would have to set it again.
    I was trying to spend a little more time with MOBAC today trying to figure it our. There is a built in map source called Chartbundle US Sectional maps.

The issue I am having is I tried setting up a small area or a large area selection, choosing all zoom levels and it still seems that I don't get the whole chart to load. I only see pieces or perhaps the word is tiles copied in place but not the whole area. I saved the original directories that were in .maptool to another location.

I have tried overwriting the original files in .maptool as well as clearing out the directory and copying the files in place. Either way I am missing tiles. There doesn't seem to be good documentation anywhere on how to use MOBAC or how to get the tiles you need properly into MapTool so you can get a wide area of tiles covered in the program. For example I would like to get from the Orlando area to the Florida Keys in my map which should be coordinates N 28.372069, W -83.001709, E -79.387207, S 24.497146 into Maptool.

i tried following the step by step from the link above (Palm Pre Offline Gps Maps Working Perfectly ! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums) and only substituting the Map source. But I still can't seem to get it right. Is it possible someone with more experience with MOBAC and getting the tiles into MapTool can help me?
    Hi,

Since google maps is now dead for us, I wanted to use maptool as a poor maps GPS:
    1. Create the directions elsewhere
    2. Export into .gpx or a .kml
    3. Load into maptool as a track

It seems this should work, but I am silently failing to load tracks...

I tried both maps.cloudmade.com and "viking" to export .gpx or .kml.

Both failed: I am getting the file on the palm, I click "import" from the track list and I am not seeing a new track nor am I seeing anything on the map. No message either.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a sample track I tried.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I think something is wrong with the syntax in your gpx file, here is some example data from a gpx file that works for me:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <gpx creator="GPS Visualizer http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/" version="1.0" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd">
    <trk>
    <name>Alpine</name>
    <trkseg>
    <trkpt lat="32.838545138" lon="-116.778348684"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.8385" lon="-116.77841"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.83817" lon="-116.77827"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.83718" lon="-116.77827"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.8369" lon="-116.77814"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.83668" lon="-116.77794"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.83649" lon="-116.77765"></trkpt>
    <trkpt lat="32.83592" lon="-116.77622"></trkpt>
  12.    #572  
    MapToolPro has it's own routing option:

* set your target where ever you want
    * set your current position to start start
    * in the app menu select route to target
    * import the KML file

And yes, your GPX file contains way-points. MapToolPro imports Trackpoints for tracks and waypoints only for targets.
    MetaView,

Thanks for the great app

Is there a good method for switching between Phone-as-GPS and Phone-as-Phone ? It seems that to get the Phone back to acting as a Phone for the TouchPad, I had to do a lot of fiddling with disconnecting and reconnecting.

Perhaps there could be a menu option on the Pre-Go and/or the MapTool Pro to sever the GPS Bluetooth link, so that phone communications can be restored, and/or a button to reconnect the GPS Bluetooth link, if it gets dropped?

* edit: hmm.. I can't even get it to use the Pre2 as a GPS device again after having disconnected it once, it reverts back to Internal.
    Last edited by eblade; 12/14/2011 at 04:27 PM.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    MapToolPro has it's own routing option:

* set your target where ever you want
    * set your current position to start start
    * in the app menu select route to target
    * import the KML file

And yes, your GPX file contains way-points. MapToolPro imports Trackpoints for tracks and waypoints only for targets.
    I am new to the TouchPad and am trying to get acclimated to the terminology and the idiosyncrasies--I'm a PC user, so this is all quite foreign to me. Anyway, your MapTool Pro is the only app so far that we decided would be useful to us, so we purchased it. We bought a separate blue tooth GPS unit and have that working fine with the TP. And after reading all the posts in this thread, I think I finally figured out the offline maps. But I haven't been able to figure out the route to target part yet--which is the primary reason we purchased this app.

I see the list of kml files. I did the import. But then what? Nothing happens. Am I supposed to see something on the map? I read on a posting somewhere that there should be a "Show on Map" option? I don't see that. I believe I have your latest version, 3.0.2? I also don't see a "No Target" option for clearing targets from the map.

Any additional insight you can provide would be appreciated. We are looking forward to using this app to its full potential.

Side question, are FileMgr and Installz available on the TP or are these only phone apps?

Thanks
    Last edited by traveld; 01/12/2012 at 05:10 PM.
  15.    #575  
    "No Target" is called "Hide Target". You can access this menu item when you tap the zoom value (let's call it "zoom menu").

Routes (or tracks), it's a 2 step system:

1) There are files you have stored on your device (.kml, .gpx). You can import the files from inside the track list ("List Tracks" in the "zoom menu"). After import the routes or tracks are shown in the track list. Calculated routes all have the same internal name and only one can be in the list of tracks.

2) From the list of tracks you can show the track or route on the map by tapping it and selecting "Show on map" from the menu which pops up.

FileMgr and Internalz Pro can be installed on the TP and Internalz runs fullscreen there.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks. I will look at it again when I get home. I know I got to the list tracks, then import, that's where I get lost. I haven't seen "show on map" selection. but i will follow your directions step-by-step and try again. This will be great once I figure it all out. We are going on a trip in a couple of weeks and need to get the steps down so we can use it while travelling.

What is the procedure for finding the FileMgr and Internalz apps? I don't think they're in the HP App catalog.

Thanks
  17.    #577  
    Look on this site for WebOSQuickinstall and then install Preware and Internalz.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    "No Target" is called "Hide Target". You can access this menu item when you tap the zoom value (let's call it "zoom menu").

Routes (or tracks), it's a 2 step system:

1) There are files you have stored on your device (.kml, .gpx). You can import the files from inside the track list ("List Tracks" in the "zoom menu"). After import the routes or tracks are shown in the track list. Calculated routes all have the same internal name and only one can be in the list of tracks.

2) From the list of tracks you can show the track or route on the map by tapping it and selecting "Show on map" from the menu which pops up.

FileMgr and Internalz Pro can be installed on the TP and Internalz runs fullscreen there.
    I am making progess!

I am finally seeing the "Show on Map" menu, but...
    I created, or least thought I created, some tracks using MS Streets and Maps. I saved the directions as .kml files and was able to copy all of these to the .MapTools directory and they all showed up available for Import in MPT. However, when I selected the Show on Map option, all that shows up is the starting point of the track. Did I do something wrong with the .kml file? In the MS program, the file is identified as "Directions to...", so I assumed that it contained the track. Any insight on this?

I also have a question on the capabilities of your program. Am I able to store and use different views of the same area? For exampls, Mobile Atlas has many map sources. For a given city, I'd like to save tiles using the public transportation view as well as the general MapNik view. Can I have both sets of tiles on the TP at the same time and somehow toggle between the views?

Thank you for your patience
  19.    #579  
    If the kml only produce one point, they might be no tracks but rather a list of points... That's bad. Can you send me one of it (email is in the app), i might think about a solution.

about different views, no, you only have one map store at the moment. People already asked for alternatives, but i didn't implemented it yet.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Did you get the email with sample .kml files?