Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #501  
    The background tracking works fine on my Pre2. Even used it to map a hiking path abroad a month ago:

Downloaded map tiles a day before using wifi
    Tracked the path during the trip
    Uploaded the track to OSM afterwards using wifi

Back home I edit it online with OSM track editor.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    It is not a problem with MappingTool, it definitely works great if my Pre2 has a clear view of the sky. It seems that the Pre2 is less tolerant of visual interference for me. Could be just my device though.
  3.    #503  
    No, you're right, the Pre's GPS isn't the best one...
    I have just downloaded maptool pro (my first WebOS application!) on my TouchPad.

Fine product but a wider choice of map formats would be nice but by no means essential - I already use Mobile Atlas Creator to produce maps for my Android phone (yes I know!).

Are there any plans for a TouchPad compatible version to enable full screen mode - the pretend phone in the centre of the screen isnt brilliant but a full screen mapping application with all the functionality of maptool would be absolutely brilliant!

Please!
  5.    #505  
    Yes, I have plans to make the existing version also TP compatible, and even already started with it, but had some issues with scrolling and stuff. Therefore it needs a bit rework which isn't done yet. But it comes, I guess middle/end of august it should be available.

Edit: Did I say thx for the purchase? Thank you
    Welcome for the purchase!

Just realised yesterday that the present TouchPad doesnt have a GPS which is a bit of a ****** but I would still use it for route planning and then use a phone to follow it.

This leads to a question - is there a facility to switch GPS off within the application both to use it in the TP and also to plan routes without it constantly returning to my current location?

The TP emulation of earlier devices seems less than perfect - I can't find the gesture area so that when the map is shown "full screen" without the top and bottom buttons I am unable to restore the buttons without closing and restarting the application!

A full set of instructions for the TP would be valuable but all I can find is the introduction that comes with it :-(
  7.    #507  
    I just submitted a new update which at least allows to leave the full-screen mode on a TP (just another back-swipe). More infos about all the options is here:
    L\'Haut-Parleur MapTool Pro
    Thanks - presumably this takes a while to be available on the download servers?

The gesture area is the glowing bit at the bottom of the phone image drawn round the screen and gestures are shown by the TPs centre button - quite obvious when you realise!

By setting the TP to ask for permission for applications to access location services I can effectively turn the GPS off and stop the map from recentering - again obvious when you realise.

Thanks very much

Kevin
  9.    #509  
    MapTool doesn't follow your position until you tap the blue dot in the command button row. When you manual move the map, the blue dot gets gray and the map doesn't follow your position anymore.
    Thanks for this thread, and thanks for the application. I am at wit's end. I have followed all the instructions, and still cannot get it to work. This has happened on both webos 1.4.5.1 and webOS 2.1.0 on my VZW Pre Plus.

The app installs fine and works in online mode just fine. So I use Mobile Atlas Creator, and get a bunch of tiles for the area to which I am traveling. I move them over to .MapTool in the correct folder on the USB drive. I open the program and either scroll to the location for which I downloaded maps, or ACTUALLY GO to the locations with the GPS turned on. The Renderer Preference is set to Offline, and the screen still shows a blank white screen.

Then I go to JTileDownloader to see if I can get some tiles there to test. Well this program keeps getting tiles for land in Indiana and Georgia even though I specifically ask for tiles in the Rocky Mountains. I did not even load these up to the .MapTool folder.

Thanks for your help.
  11.    #511  
    I would recommend MapTool Pro. Then you don't have to deal with external tools: just cache the area from inside MTP, use auto-caching: browse the region you want to cache when you on wifi coverage, have them stored automatically.

Greetings
    Henk
    Thank you. I am using Mapping Tool Pro. I have cached items from inside the program. None of the options provided there have elevation contour and hiking trail detail that I am looking for. I think I tried that in the past, and I got the same result. I will check again.
    Do you think custom map upload support can be added somewhere in the future? that is, upload raster images with corresponding calibration files for display, or kmz files from google earth as image overlays which are also used for garmin mapping gps units? It would be a nice feature, something similar to what Pathaway offered previously on Palm OS.
    Hi,

I've just been out all day (on a trekking vacation) with my 1.4.5 Pre+ and a portable battery charger.

The resulting MapTool Pro track has slightly more than 17000 points.
    For half an hour now, I've tried in vain to save that track - both through my mobile connection and through my hotel's WiFi.

To be sure there was no general problem, I deleted yesterday's 4000 point / 450 kB track from the media/internal/MapTool folder and re-saved that track; no hassle: about 15 seconds after tapping "Save track" Map Tool reported success, and the file was back.

Any ideas?

(I guess as a last resort, I could use the email option, but I would really hate to have to splice together dozens of email message texts (alway provided that it works)).

Regards,

Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 08/10/2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo in number
  15.    #515  
    17000 points, hm, that's a lot. I'm not sure yet, but it could be a timeout for the function which generates the gpx file. I need to check it. You could try to copy the database file (must be in a hidden folder on the internal USB volume) to the desktop and use a sqlite client to access the data. All I can suggest right now.
    Hi, Henk,

my problem has just got worse: I was out today longer than on Wednesday, so, to be safe (I thought) I started a new track at about the half way point; now I've two tracks 9200/9400 points in size, which both display perfectly in MapTool, but which both can't be saved out.

I looked for the file you mentioned; there's a .db file in .app-storage - 5.9MB; I'd hate to have to delve into that, especially as so far the full extent of my knowledge about sqlite is that the word exists.

Is there anything you can do to your app which removes that limitation - or at least pushes it way up?
    (Alternatively, would it be hard to implement the ability for MapTool to split tracks?)

Regards,

Jochen
  17.    #517  
    Next update of MapToolPro (which is 1.4.5 enabled again and already sent to HP/Palm) will allow to split tracks (divided equally) and hopefully will help to solve your issue.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Hi Henk,

did you ever try to use a GPS device connected via BT?

Marcel
  19.    #519  
    Yes, I did the first implementation yesterday evening, and it works Now I need to rework it a bit and check the compatibility with 1.4.5.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Great! Did follow your conversation on twitter Time to search for my GPS I have an i-blue BT747 and I assume using this one could save a lot of battery for the Pre2. Maybe I'll try to work on an app to access the logged data on the device.