Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #401  
    @All: I've posted an update version of the free MapTool version. It basically catches up on GPX and KML target import just like the Pro-version does. Additional (and will be in the Pro-version (together with some other cool stuff) in a couple of days too) MapTool will register itself for .loc, .gpx and .kml and will allow you to import tracks or targets directly from email attachments.

Thx
    Henk
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    I first tried it on both my PC and Mac desktops, without success. It gave me a popup error message 'Java Vitual Machine Launcher' "Could not find the main class. Program will exit." on the PC. I think the Mac said something to the effect that it couldn't find a program to launch it.
  3.    #403  
    If you open a command line and change the directory to the folder containing the .jar file, it might be work to just enter

java -jar JTileDownloader.jar
    Thanks for producing this app, it is great. I recently upgraded to the PRO version and I'm interested in how manual off line maps will interact with smart cached map tiles. I have a folder called .MapTool that I've been using to store my manually created map tiles (satellite stuff with annotations). It seems that Map Tool Pro has problems with there being files in this directory. For example, I have Mapnik as the Renderer and "No Smart Caching" unchecked and some tiles display but tiles that are close to and overlapping my manual files do not display. I would think if I have Mapnik as the renderer then all tiles would come from Mapnik. If I then switch to CycleMap all of the tiles still show as Mapnik with my offline files still blocking the online tiles. Is there a way to get the Pro version to ignore my .MapTool directory and let me decide when to show my offline tiles?
    This is what it looks like when I have some manually created custom tiles:

Notice that because my manual tiles don't fill up an entire tile there is white space around them. Also it is displaying Mapnik but I have CycleMap selected as the renderer.
  6.    #406  
    This smartcaching is catching files from the device first. If the tile isn't on the device it goes to the selected renderer and downloads the missing tile and uses this tile for rendering. the downloaded tile is stored in the .MapTool folder for later reuse. This means, if you decide to switch renderers, you might end with tiles from multiple renderers for different parts of the world, if you have only some tiles downloaded and you switch the renderer, you will get a mixed map in this area.
    The smartcaching will not overwrite existing tiles (you wouldn't want this). If you deactivate smartcaching all tiles are received online and nothing is stored on your device.
    OK, that makes a lot of sense. Are the downloaded tiles kept forever? If not, how does Map Tool know not to delete the tiles that I had preloaded? Is there a max size for the .MapTool folder?

I may look into a way to build a utility to:

1) clear the .MapTool folder so that it will cache all new tiles from online.
    2) Copy a set of static files into the .MapTool directory
    3) Merge partial tiles (PC Based)
  8.    #408  
    The tiles are kept forever. The local file access is limited with WebOS, i.e. there is no way to delete files. To keep track of what was downloaded or to clear the .MapTool folder the homebrew app "Internalz" from our famous JayCanuck might help you. I guess I will add a way to see which tiles currently displayed: folders/name
    Ok, I guess I can still clear the .MapTool folder while connected via USB and do all the operations that way. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    If you open a command line and change the directory to the folder containing the .jar file, it might be work to just enter

java -jar JTileDownloader.jar
    I couldn't get the RUN: command prompt to work either. I admit, I'm not a computer expert, so perhaps I'm doing this wrong. I couldn't open the directory, so I put C:\ java -jar JTileDownloader.jar or something to that effect, because I renamed the file to a shorter name because the name with spaces wasn't working. After trying forward slashes, back slashes, and anything else I could think of, I downloaded the Pro version. This seems to be working, but I swithced between different rendering options trying to speed things up. This seems to run slow in rendering whether or not I'm online. I would like to download a chunk of maps for this weekend so I can go "up north" where I won't have any mobile phone coverage. Any other ideas about why these aren't uploading very quickly would be greatly appreciated. Or, ideally, it'd be nice to figure out how to download maps in advance. Is it possible that my work computer is locked out in some function? I've never experienced problems downloading or installing other programs. Perhaps JAVA is disabled?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjalling View Post
    I couldn't get the RUN: command prompt to work either. I admit, I'm not a computer expert, so perhaps I'm doing this wrong. I couldn't open the directory, so I put C:\ java -jar JTileDownloader.jar or something to that effect, because I renamed the file to a shorter name because the name with spaces wasn't working. After trying forward slashes, back slashes, and anything else I could think of, I downloaded the Pro version. This seems to be working, but I swithced between different rendering options trying to speed things up. This seems to run slow in rendering whether or not I'm online. I would like to download a chunk of maps for this weekend so I can go "up north" where I won't have any mobile phone coverage. Any other ideas about why these aren't uploading very quickly would be greatly appreciated. Or, ideally, it'd be nice to figure out how to download maps in advance. Is it possible that my work computer is locked out in some function? I've never experienced problems downloading or installing other programs. Perhaps JAVA is disabled?
    Also, when I zoom in or out to certain levels, the map information disappears at certain levels of zoom but is there at other levels. I'm trying to stick to Mapnik now that I read the previous posts. Any thoughts?
  12.    #412  
    Yes, how I would do it:

* Select your renderer: Mapnik should be ok

* Select a lower zoom level: maybe something like 10

* Move to the place where you are going over the WE or use the search function to find the spot: tap on the zoom level number and select "Search", tap on the correct result

* now zoom in and just view the parts you want to be over the WE with the zoom values you like

* over the WE you just switch the renderer to offline and it will only display tiles which you already stored on your device using the procedure above.
    I've been thinking about this challenge that I've been having with offline maps. The situation is that if I put my own map tiles in .MapTool folder and then the smart cache loads a bunch of new tiles in, it is difficult to then remove only the files I want removed. In addition, if I use MapTool with one renderer then switch to another, I can't have the new renderer overwrite the previously downloaded tiles. This could happen if I were out biking using Cyclemap then wanted to switch to Mapnik for some restaurant ideas. If I don't have internet then I am limited to the tiles previously downloaded.

My idea to solve these problems would be to change the off line tiles functionality so that each renderer had their own separate directory, e.g.:

.MapTool/Mapnik
    .MapTool/CycleMap
    .MapTool/MapLint

In addition, I would like to be able to add additional directories in USB Mode which would contain my own sliced up files:

.MapTool/Vail_Pass_topo
    .MapTool/Vail_Pass_satellite
    .MapTool/Berthoud_Pass

So when MapTool runs in Smart Cache mode it would save it's tiles to each directory. If I had selected "Mapnik" as the renderer it would save tiles and load cached tiles from the Mapnik directory.

Here's the cool part of the idea. When running in offline mode it would be deliciously awesome if I could select the order of the directories that MapTool would read from, for example:

Vail_Pass_sat
    CycleMap
    Mapnik
    etc.

This could be implemented as a popup list box that would allow me to resort the cache directories to prioritize the display order.

The other big benefit of this is tile management. It would make it easy for me to move sets of tiles on and off the device depending on my travel plans.

Those are just my thoughts on some improvements. This is a great app and it keeps getting better, I'm going to be using it in 2 weeks for a trip to Machu Picchu, Buesnos Aires, Iguazu Falls and Rio - I'm looking forward to it!
    This is a just a feature request, for all I know it may already be implemented. It would be cool if I could enter a link to photo on my device in the url field of a target or even take a picture and have it automatically linked to a target. That would probably require adding functionality to add multiple links to a target.
  15.    #415  
    Separate folders for offline maps based on renderer is something to consider for the future. It's not that easy to use your own folders, there is now way at the moment to iterate the folders on the device. But the idea with multiple folders and the folder priority could be done.
    The link to a local picture for a target sounds good, will see how I can implement it. Thx.
    For different offline folders: at the moment I would create different folders like .MapTool_mapnik and .MapTool_cyclemap and use internalz to rename the folder I want to use right now into .MapTool. This should work.
    I guess you could get around the folders problem by having the user type in their offline map folders, then MapTool would know about it and create the folder in the .MapTool directory. Then the user could connect via USB and load up custom tiles to those folders.
  17.    #417  
    Folder creation only works when the webos download manager downloads files, an app can't just create a folder But I will consider it and see what I can archive in the future updates.

Here is some screenshot of what comes next: http://www.twitpic.com/35ywdd
    I think I may be confused then, I thought that the Smart Cache function saved tiles to the .MapTool directory? If it doesn't then I don't have the problem of trying to figure out which tiles are mine and which tiles were downloaded by Smart Cache. Does Smart Cache save the files on a different internal directory?
  19.    #419  
    No, smartcache downloads the tiles in the .MapTool folder. What did confuse you?
    I'm confused because if as an example Smart Cache can create tiles folders under the .MapTool directory:

\.MapTool\15
    \.MapTool\15\9775

in order to save the tile named \.MapTool\15\9775\17589.png, then couldn't it save the tiles to \.MapTool\Mapnik\15\9775 instead?
    Last edited by Splitbiker; 11/12/2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: I mistyped the file path