webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
MapTool - GPS logger with OSM support and more
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/22/2009, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yes: send you your log, open the email on your desktop computer, copy the content starting into a textfile and add the .gpx extension to the filename. Ready you are. I made a page where are some links to upload your gpx and watch the track on a google map. You can also upload the track to OSM.

Here is the link to the page:

L\’Haut-Parleur Sammlung von online GPS-Tools

Some general usage infos:

Start the app, it will try to get your position using GPS. In same cases it will take some time to get your position, then it might just use a rough assumption. You can see the error of your position location in the bottom info strip.

The app will just starting logging your position, you can see your track in blue and in the bottom strip also the ID of your track (date + time of the starting point).

The app follows your position and downloads OSM tiles whenever necessary, use + and - to zoom in or out. Use the reload button to have it refresh the map tiles in case something went wrong. When you start moving the map, it will release the connection to your current position and the zoom-level display will display "move". Click on it to access the list of targets or to jump back to your current position.

Use the send button to send your current location or the current track by email.

Use the menu to access the settings. Here you can switch the different OSM renderers (use the refresh button to reload the tiles). Also you can specify the error level which will used to draw your path or to convert the log into gpx. A good value is below 100 meters (sorry for only supporting metric units).

The bottom strip also shows you the altitude which the GPS reports and the elevation of the ground as it is stored in the NASA database. Therefore MapTool asks about the elevation value every 10 seconds. It will be adjustable in a later update.

Hope it was enough documentation for the beginning.

Enjoy
Henk
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 02:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

thank you for that.... that is what I needed to know in the beginning... one question is what are the COORDINATES option used for and what setting should we use on this?

Thanks for the reply again!!!!
Zoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 02:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Depends on your preferences: I prefer DD.xxxxxx decimal degrees, other like more the DD MM SS notation: degrees, minutes, seconds. It's just a display option nothing more.
Old 12/23/2009, 07:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

when I send a track, this is what I get... and it is not working, since there really is no track...

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
<gpx version='1.1'
creator='MapTool - MetaViewSoft'
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xmlns='http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1'
xsi:schemaLocation='http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd'>
<trk> <name>20091222210846</name> <trkseg>
</trkseg>
</trk>
</gpx>

Also, when I try to send while still tracking, the email app never opens. Ideas?
Old 12/23/2009, 08:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

do you see the track on the map? If not, adjust the position error level in the settings.
Old 12/23/2009, 08:41 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
do you see the track on the map? If not, adjust the position error level in the settings.
yep, the track is there, and the setting is at 100 meters for the errors...the err on the map while tracking is usually less than 20 meters so I know it is tracking...

I cant get either of the options to mail unless I do it right after opening the app... so "send position" and "send GPS-log" both do not work while I am tracking. Think I need to just reinstall the program?

Last edited by Zoso; 12/23/2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12/23/2009, 11:30 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
yep, the track is there, and the setting is at 100 meters for the errors...the err on the map while tracking is usually less than 20 meters so I know it is tracking...

I cant get either of the options to mail unless I do it right after opening the app... so "send position" and "send GPS-log" both do not work while I am tracking. Think I need to just reinstall the program?

reinstalled the app, put all settings back in, restarted the phone completely and still, when I try to "send gps log" I push the button, and it does nothing. Same with "send location"... changed the Error settings to 1000 meters, still the same thing.
Old 12/23/2009, 12:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Seems to be a bug, I'll check it. Btw: Offline maps work fine. Will update soon.

BTW: Can you send your current position or is it also not possible? Ok, read it. Hm, still don't know a reason.

Last edited by MetaView; 12/23/2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12/23/2009, 05:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

I downloaded Map Tool, and it seems to work OK, but the big problem for me is that it causes Classic to abort with errors. Before removing Map Tool, I tried resetting the Pre, but that did not help. Regretfully I have removed Map Tool. Classic now loads fine.
charlibob#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2009, 01:29 AM   #30 (permalink)

Strange things: I have Classic and MapTool on my Pre. Both run fine (well MapTool does, Classic is not very stable since the last OS update).
Old 12/24/2009, 10:21 AM   #31 (permalink)

maybe it has to do with some of the patches I have installed, or a theme... I will uninstall some stuff and experiment a bit.... If I figure it out, I will let you know.
Old 12/24/2009, 12:08 PM   #32 (permalink)

It is true that Classic has problems since the last update, but eventually it would load properly until Map Tool. The error window that come up lists all the installed apps. That is where I got the idea to uninstall Map Tool, since it was the last app installed. Maybe the coming OS 1.3.5 will fix things. Unfortunately there are a couple of Classic apps that I use a lot.
Old 12/24/2009, 03:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

@charlibob: you really want to say the installed MapTools interfers with Classic? How could it? If it is running, it might be imaginable, but just the installed application? Sorry, but I can't believe it.
Old 12/25/2009, 12:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

OK, to be fair, I downloaded Map Tool again, and ran it and closed it. Classic came up without a hitch, so my apologies to you. It just seemed like too much of a coincidence that classic failed to load until I removed Map Tool. So I can't explain it, but that was my experience initially.
Happy Holidays
Old 12/25/2009, 12:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Thank you for clarifying this. I wish you all some peaceful days.
Old 12/26/2009, 09:04 AM   #36 (permalink)

ok, I removed all my unused apps, and patches to no avail. MapTool still does not do a thing (mostly) when I try to email my coordinates to myself. MapTool does not open the email application when I try. Ihave been able to have it open in the past, but it is spotty at the most. I am going to try to reset the phone completely today, and I will let you know the results at that point.
Old 12/26/2009, 11:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
hux

Looks promising, I will try that app on one of my next bike trips the coming days. One feature request: Could you do an alternate view which does not display any map, but information for the sportive guys, like km/miles driven/run, current speed, average speed, compass, ... ? This would be very nice. I'd love to use it as a bike computer and just use the map once I want to change direction or switch my route a bit.
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2009, 07:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

This looks very nice! I haven't used this while moving yet but it seems very interesting. I noticed a bunch of zig-zags around my current location before setting an error tolerance. It had my location pretty well nailed but then I noticed that MapTool is reporting my current location with a 200m error tolerance. I expect we'll have some fun learning how the GPS in our Pre's/Pixi's work as well as how to use MapTool. Thanks for the work you have done so far! It was great to be able to download this using preware! It will be great to learn from what we each learn here in this forum!
Old 12/28/2009, 05:45 AM   #39 (permalink)

Here comes a new update. I added offline maps. Check the tool at L\’Haut-Parleur A Java application to create offline maps for 2TrackMe which will download the necessary tiles using the correct name scheme. Copy this maps to the USB volume on your Pr inside a freshly created folder called: MapTool (example: E:\MapTool\Osm_13_4405_2708.png)

In MapTool select "Offline" as map source. Also you will recognize the grid which now lays above the map. You can switch it off if you don't need it in the settings.

Enjoy it,
Henk
Thanked by Frankk, mn23
Old 12/28/2009, 08:05 AM   #40 (permalink)

I have completely reset my Pre, using webOS doctor and put it back to default settings. Then upgraded back to 1.3.1... and I still have to same issue. The program does not do anything when I try to "send Positon" or Send GPS-Log. I give up at this point... good luck with the app...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0