Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    Folder struct: /media/internal/.MapTool/xx/yyyy/zzzz.png

xx is the zoom level (from 1 to 18)
    yyyy is the tile directory number
    xxxx is the tile number
    If this is the format what is the best way or can map tool use different sources created with mobile atlas. Like gmaps, micorsoft or mapnik. Or the only option is to move the sorce files you need and switch them around with internalz for example?
  2.    #362  
    Only this format is supported.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Boy, you're not kidding. They take a LOT more space. Almost ten times as much! *sigh*

Well, maybe the next gen webOS device on Sprint will have more than 8GB. I really wanted to be able to use my Pre as a standalone sat-nav unit.
    Well, I found a way. I just had to be less ambitious about what kind of stuff I'd be able to keep in /media/internal/.MapTool. I had hoped to have the entire continental US from zoom levels 1 through 10, and then each of the cities I frequently visit or plan to visit from level 11 through 17. That didn't work--because of the block size issue, 700 MB of map tiles took up the entire available space (over 6 GB) on /media/internal.

So I dialed back my expectations and tried again. Now I have the whole US from level 1 to 10 as before, but I only load one city at a time at zoom levels 11 through 17. Doing this for the greater New York City area, where I will be traveling soon, took fewer than 2 GB of space; and zoom level 17 is plenty of resolution for New York. No need for 18.

Thanks for a great app.
    Only this format is supported.
    I'm having issues showing up maps... I had only level 13 for Europe and I'm in US now. I'll do a search for a location in Europe and the app will take me there. I have my gps disabled and set to offline maps. I used MobileAtlas Creator and have the tiles converted to 256X256 png files. What am I missing here?
    I'm setting the app to level 13 as well - assuming this will bring the images for that level. I'll try to get level 10 thru 16 and see if this will make any difference.
    Any suggestions where shuold I look for the problem(s)?
  5.    #365  
    What's your problem? Don't understand it. You can't see the map? Or something else? You ensure the path is correct? And you would only see zoom 13, only when showing parts of Europe and only when renderer is set to offline.
    I've got the basemap loaded for a hiking trip using a nifty mix of satalite, topo and Google Terrain.

I've been able to overlay GPX tracks I made in Maptool before but I've downloaded a large 2.3Mb GPX file for the area and when I click to import it I just get the spinning circle (what's the name for this, I'm talking about Paml's replacement for the hourglass in Windows) and it never stops.

Is there a size limit?
    I know this file contains both tracks and waypoints, is that the problem?

Is there a way to load multiple tracks onto the map at the same time?
  7.    #367  
    There is no size limit, but the OS will kill functions which run too long. And I guess this import exceeds the 10 seconds or whatever is allowed. But you could send me the file and I can check if I can do anything with it. There is nothing for multiple tracks. I guess it will be very slow.
    What's your problem? Don't understand it. You can't see the map? Or something else? You ensure the path is correct? And you would only see zoom 13, only when showing parts of Europe and only when renderer is set to offline.
    Yeah pretty much that what it was but I guess hitting the refresh fixed it. But as somebody previously mentioned on this thread if you select too big of a area and too much details your internal storage gets filled up quick. I guess I'll have to be more specific with the area and details I want to use. Other than that very useful app if you want to have your maps without service.
    Quote Originally Posted by GQGeek81 View Post
    Is there a size limit?
    I suppose the way WebOS works effectively does introduce a size limit.

Earlier in this thread I reported trying to import a straight forward kml file without any frills, but with about 13000 points; this effectively brought MapTool to a standstill - importing took several minutes, and attempts to display the track (with an offline map) lead to an empty map being shown, and the track repeatedly appearing for a fraction of a second and then disappearing again for several seconds. IIRC, that file was only a few hundred kB in size - much smaller than yours.

Regards,

Jochen
    For the record, I've tried updating Filemngr and overclocking to 1Ghz to see if that would help, but not dice. It just times out quicker.

My next attempt will be to open a KML of the area and try manually deleting the parts I don't need in GE and then use GPSBable to convert the resulting KML to GPX which will hopefully be a much smaller size then.

On a related note.... are there any plans to add UTM as a setting? Or does anyone know of a WebOS app that will display location in UTM?
    MUCH easier to translate a UTM reading to a paper map than using Lat/Lon
  11.    #371  
    UTM?

Btw: I guess you can import KML too.
    UTM is what most portable GPS units use, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $its$ $a$ $standard$ $setting$ $at$ $least$ $on$ $all$ $of$ $them$, $its$ $also$ $the$ $easiest$ $and$ $most$ $practical$ $way$ $of$ $going$ $to$ $and$ $from$ $a$ $paper$ $map$.

If you look at a 1:24,000 topo map it will either have blue UTM grid lines drawn in or blue dashes along the edges so that you can take a ruler and draw them in yourself. You end up with a grid of squares 100 meter squares.

The coordinates read a bit like lat/lon but are scaled to the map better. You use a grid plotter which is basically a piece of plastic with a grid printed on it the size of one of the squares on the map. Each square is 100M to a side and the plotter breaks this up into 10meter smaller squares. You can then use the UTM coordinates, a map and a plotter to pinpoint down to 10 meters where those coordinates are on the map. Or if you want to go to an interesting looking spot on the map, you can use the plotter to determine its exact coordinates in a few seconds and then program the destination into your GPS.

This would let the phone still be useful if you don't have a basemap loaded and or don't have a data connection but have a topo map with you, which for hiking and the like should be an obvious backup in case your phone dies. There are other ways to do all this of course, but this would be really convenient and would also let you double check yourself if you're trying to practice traditional map and compass work.

As far as I know there are currently no apps for WebOS that handle UTM. I think there were on PalmOS and Apple has an OSM app that will display in UTM.
    There are webpages that will convert for you using Jscript but you'd need a data connection to use them.
    Considering how many apps there are that just display the same exact information you can get without an app by dialing ##GPS# I'm baffled that no one has added UTM to one of them to offer something different useful.

While I'm dreaming, I'd also love the option to set the phone down for a minute and let it average the GPS location so that you get a super accurate fix you can use for a waypoint or to post as a geocache location.
  13.    #373  
    Will add UTM coordinates over the weekend.
    Preware shows me Maptool has an update and whats this.... YES! UTM on my tiles.

You sir, are my hero

I did some quick checking and zooming in on my current location in maptool, tapping it and checking the UTM coordinates shows me the exact numbers I get in Google Earth if I set it to UTM and zoom in on where I'm at. Very nice

Now where's that donate button.
  15.    #375  
    take any on my site: MetaViewSoft
    Donated and thanks again!

Some more testing....

I have a USGS map of my neighborhood with the UTM grid printed on it already. I purchased this last year just so I could get better at navigation using the neighborhood as a testbed.
    Using Maptool with Mapnik has the render source I picked my blue dot and several intersections either in Maptool or on the paper map and then using a plastic grid tool I found the UTM coordinates of the map and compared to what I'm getting in Maptool. I went both directions several times like this.
    Most cases they are dead on or at least within 15 meters which is within GPS accuracy anyway. The grid tool and my eyes are probably only accurate to 5 meters or so.

If you consider the maps are made based on benchmarks with GPS data to being with there's likely to be a 15 meter swing on any map so if that's all I'm getting going from one to another AT MOST, that's pretty impressive in my book.

Since the waypoints exist for likely campsites, water sources other POI's and a couple of geocaches for my backpacking trip I can convert all of these to UTM, plot them on my paper maps at home and if I lose or break my Pre all the places I need to go will be on my papermap even though they were recorded with a GPS.

If I end up outside the basemap or don't trust it I can pull up my UTM location in maptool and put it on the papermap to double check, and if I see something I want to checkout on the papermap and want to go find it I can figure out its coordinates using the grip plotter held against the papermap and then input the location as a target in Maptool.

VERY COOL!
  17.    #377  
    Thank you very much. Now I learned what this UTM coordinates are about. Thank you for the suggestion, I think it makes MapTool even more useful for offline usage.
    OK after trying a dozen other things I finally got around the size limitation with my GPX file.

I used GPS visualizer found here
    GPS Visualizer: Garmin Forerunner/GPX File Splitter

This lets you upload the GPX file directly to the website and it breaks it down into a zip file of all the component tracks.

So far it looks like all of the individual tracks are small enough for my purpose but I also found this tool which claims to be able to break down a gpx file into smaller files so I'll try that if need be.

I got a weird glitch at one point and had to reset the phone. It no longer showed any of the tracks including the No 2nd track option and it wouldn't import anything but a reboot fixed that.

It would be cool if it could sort the tracks like geocache files so I know which one I'm closest too but I think I can do without.

On the track info I would recommend changing the elevation min/max to feet or meters. Miles is a bit of a large unit to work with.

If I can pin down a specific size limitation I'll let you know. I just loaded a 104K track which is as large as I've got in my unpacked group of files now.
    Any chance of implementing import of POI's from GPX or CSV format?

I just got an electrical vehicle. Town is full of parking spots dedicated for them with an outlet to charge the car. There are GPX- and CSV- format files of all these charge locations. And they would be very handy to have "in your pocket"
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriq Backlund View Post
    Any chance of implementing import of POI's from GPX or CSV format?

I just got an electrical vehicle. Town is full of parking spots dedicated for them with an outlet to charge the car. There are GPX- and CSV- format files of all these charge locations. And they would be very handy to have "in your pocket"
    Where abouts do you live? .... if you don't mind me asking.