Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcchan View Post
    1. Is it possible to create the ".MapTool" file on the Pixi using an external PC?
    As far as I know, the Windows Explorer doesn't like the . in front of the name. You might be able to do it in the command line using mkdir .MapTool

2. Is it necessary to create that file if you do not use offline maps?
    No, MapTool uses this path only to look for Offline tiles.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    i can create such a file using my iMac. just did it but i am not sure where to put it. there does not appear to be a location "/media/internal". (this is a pixi plus and i am looking at it using the iMac with hidden files showing"). there is a file:

".app-storage/file_media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.de.metaviewsoft.maptool_0"

which contains some db files
    I was able to create the file with my Imac but I am not sure where to put it. there is no "/media/internal" that I can find. I am looking at this with an iMac with hidden files revealed. Perhaps it opens to "media/internal" by default when i connect by USB?
  4.    #344  
    yes, /media/internal is the path of your internal USB drive. Just create the .MapTool folder directly in the root on your iMac.
    yea. thank you. it works

one of the preferences checked by default is "force e-mail". should this now be unchecked?
  6.    #346  
    yes, I would uncheck it.
    MetaView - Great program, but I've got a couple small quirks with GPS lock. I've done the QPST mods to enable all GPS functions (except AFLT) and added my local carrier's aGPS server, so in general my GPS locks are quick & accurate. I've also added ebag's patch (slightly modified) to help apps use the aGPS features, and I've found both of these seem to help somewhat with GPS performance.

I've also seen different 3rd party GPS apps respond differently to various GPS system settings. With Google Location Services DISABLED, MapTool gets a good GPS lock in average time. Sometimes the accuracy is low, and will take several requests to home in on the correct position. With Google Location Serviced ENABLED, MapTool gets a very fast lock, but the time of the GPS lock is usually old, and doesn't seem to update. Do you have a "age" setting in MapTool's GPS request that allows an old GPS lock to remain before it times out & makes a new request?

I've been performing various GPS tests to find the optimal configuration for various programs, and some of my other programs seem to perform better with Google Location Services enabled. My GPS doesn't seem to get "stuck" when I leave this on, so I wonder if WebOs's GPS calls were designed for this to be left on.

I wish we could have user configurable options in more GPS programs to select our own accuracy level for the GPS request (1, 2, 3), time (1, 2, 3), and age (in seconds), to help optimize the settings for our own use/carrier.
  8.    #348  
    MapTool is requesting a none-accurate position on startup and after this it requests positions with highest accuracy and longest time. Also it is a bit different to other apps, as I poll the location manually and not rely on the location stream the OS provides. this location stream stops after some time. But my polling still works. On my device I see that I loose the GPS fix when the device goes to sleep. When awake it takes soem seconds and I usually get a fix. Sometimes it's necessary to enter plane mode to avoid false responses from google GSM tower localisations.
    Thanks for the info Meta... so at startup, 3 for accuracy & 1 for time. Then increase accuracy with requests that follow. That makes sense.

Interesting how you poll the location manually vs the OS provided location function. I am not familiar with what this requires. From my use of the program, in some situations this works better, and in others it seems to work worse. Like anything, a compromise I'm sure. And I may also be starting to see the effects (good & bad) of some other GPS mods I've done.

Interesting note, so I turned off WIFI and left Google Location Services On, and went to lunch. I tracked my route and it works better using the network, probably using my aGPS servers added...

My ideal situation is to figure out what makes VZ Navigator so "special", as it seems to get a quick lock, increase in accuracy, and always work.
    I installed MapTool just days ago (before my trip to Vienna). I could not pan freely, but I have noticed posts in this thread before I installed it mentioning panning freely in the latest version. I installed it with Preware (I think). But I can't see an update available. Is it available via WOSQI ?

And, when I arrived in Vienna, there was a geen dot and a line connected to it at all times with my current location. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. How's that done and what was it? Thankfully it was only 20m from my hotel, so I still had use for it.... :-)
    I installed MapTool just days ago (before my trip to Vienna). I could not pan freely, but I have noticed posts in this thread before I installed it mentioning panning freely in the latest version. I installed it with Preware (I think). But I can't see an update available. Is it available via WOSQI ?

And, when I arrived in Vienna, there was a geen dot and a line connected to it at all times with my current location. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. How's that done and what was it? Thankfully it was only 20m from my hotel, so I still had use for it.... :-)
  12.    #352  
    Latest version with free panning is in the AppCatalog. The green dot is your current target, to remove it: tap the zoom value, tap the target list, select No Target.
    ok. Thanks.
    That probably explains why I havenlt got the latest version. I can't access apps in the App Catalogue. Palm voluntarily shuts parts of the world out for some reason.
    Could you make the latest version available in the homebrew section?

Thanks again for a really nice piece of software.

(there is still no donate-link in your signature...) :-)
  14.    #354  
    Thanks, have now downloaded latest version with WOSQI. It wasn't available via Preware. Free pan now works. But - green dot is still there funny enough. And when I hit the zoom value button, and choose target list - there is no target there. But the green dot is still there.
    I'm thinking it might be because I searched for Vienna with the search function. And the center for Vienna happened to be right at my hotel. But, I still can't remove the green dot.....

I tried to donate, but when I came to the german pay-pal site - I didn't accept my log-in ??

Also tried to download Crimson Fields and Mandel. But they are not free. I can't download them in my country ! Out of curiousity, what does Palm say when you point out to them the they shut out your potential customers ? Do they state a reason for their practice ?
  16.    #356  
    You need to tap on the "No Target" row to remove the target display in the map view. And yes, it comes from searching. When you tap on a search result it will become a target.

About donation, just use your paypal site and use metaview (at) web (dot) de as receiver. Thank you

Crimson Fields and Mandel are both free, but they are PDK apps and need OS 1.4.5
    Thanks, that did it. The green dot disappeared.

Ok, when I logged in at the us-site for paypal I could send you money. Strange that it didn't work on the german site.

Well, when I go to the dedicated site at Palm for both Crimson Fields and Mandel, my country isn't listed. So what OS I have wouldn't matter. It is not free to me, since my country isn't listed. And - I still can't figure out what the *#" Palm is up to with this practice.......
  18.    #358  
    Thank you very much for your kind donation. It arrived. I have no clue why the German PayPal doesn't take your login. But thx I will check the link and try to redirect it to the US site.

About Mandel and Crimson Fields: as with all of my apps it is enabled for every possible country. Do you see any apps in the catalog? And from which country are you?
    This program continues to get better and better...love it!
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Your welcome. :-)

I'm in Norway, so basically none of the apps in the official App Catalogue are available for me. Palm has decided that phones registered and in use in Norway, Sweden and several other countries are to be shut out. I don't know why they even bother to distinguish any country from another in the first place.