Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sidetracked View Post
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't get the maps to show up. I installed Internalz, made a folder called .MapTool on my palm (perhaps that was supposed to go in a certain directory? Not just in the main directory?)
    I downloaded map tiles as per instruction from Mobile Atlas creator (using OSMTracker Tile Storage) and put them in this folder. Then I selected "offline' in MapTool. No maps showed up. Nothing, then I tried putting all the nested folders that resulted from the map download, nothing. Then I tried just the last level of folders.
    So I tried the same thing using the maps obtained from the jtile downloader, and still no maps..I am hung up thinking it is dumb thing I am doing, (like folder structure of the downloaded maps?) but after trying everything I can think of, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong to not make the maps show up..
    Try to bring your palm pre outdoor and get GPS signal. Maks sure the GPS statuse show on screen bottom is available. Like the last fix at xxx xxx xxx, the time should be now. Then you will see the map where you are.
  2.    #322  
    Folder struct: /media/internal/.MapTool/xx/yyyy/zzzz.png

xx is the zoom level (from 1 to 18)
    yyyy is the tile directory number
    xxxx is the tile number
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I used Mobile Atlas Creator on my Debian Lenny desktop box to download an atlas of the entire US from zoom levels 1 through 10, all of California zoom levels 11 through 13, and most of metropolitan Los Angeles zoom levels 13 through 17, all in OSMTracker format with Google Maps tiles. According to the desktop box, these files total a little under 700 MB.

However, when I transfer them to the Pre, half the time there is an error ("The enclosing drive for the volume is locked") when I try to unmount the Pre after transferring. What's worse, my 700 MB of map tile files appears to the Pre to be at least 5.5G! Before transferring, "Device Info" reports about 6.5 G available, but last time I tried to transfer all the tiles, the USB transfer had to abort for alleged lack of space, and afterward the "Device Info" app reported 0G available space.

I don't know whether the Pre has trouble handling lots of small files, or my desktop box has trouble transferring them...but is anybody else experiencing this problem? Any ideas why it would be happening? This doesn't happen when I transfer large (100 MB) folders containing mp3 files.

Sprint Pre, 1.4.5, lots of patches, Uberkernel.
  4.    #324  
    Problem: the filesystem of the internal volume has a certain block size, any file takes at least blocksize space. A lot of small files will take a lot more space on the drive than there accumulated file sizes are. A possible fix could be: check all folders, sort files by size and delete all files with very small file size. They usually have no information inside, except all blue, all green etc.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Boy, you're not kidding. They take a LOT more space. Almost ten times as much! *sigh*

Well, maybe the next gen webOS device on Sprint will have more than 8GB. I really wanted to be able to use my Pre as a standalone sat-nav unit.
    Any idea why it doesn't like mixing and matching zoom levels from different map sources?

I can get it to work fine using Google Maps for some zoom levels and Hybrid for others, but when I select Terrain or Terraserver for other zoom levels I just get a white screen at that level.
  7.    #327  
    It only works with PNG-files. Mobile Atlas Creator seems to create JPG-files for some sources. These aren't visible with MapTool.
    Hi !

Leaving for a trip to Vienne early tomorrow - so, hoping for a reply tonight. :-)

I've created maps for offline use at zoomlevels from 13 to 19. I just read in one of the posts that MapTool can only handle one zoom level. Does that mean that I can only move one of the maps over to the Pre ? And, then which one should I use ?
    I've basically created maps for the central Vienna.
    Last edited by Patriq Backlund; 09/09/2010 at 01:04 PM.
  9.    #329  
    No, MapTool can handle every zoom level from 1 to 18. Means, skip level 19 and even level 18 will not bring much. Put the remaining zoom levels on your Pre and check it out: Search -> Wien -> Tap on it and see how it works.
    Thanks, I've now copied all maps 13-18 to the designated folder on the Pre. But, how do I search for Wien ?
    There doesn't seem to be a search function. I find 'find geocaches'. But firstly geocaches doesn't seem to be the obvious think when searching for Wien. Secondly - I'm in aeroplane mode since I'm trying it out for offline use, and will be without 3G-service in Wien.

EDIT:
    I've now had the Pre with 3G-service but set the renderer to 'off-line'. I then tried the tools at the menu, but non allowed me to search for Wien, or any other city for that matter.
    Last edited by Patriq Backlund; 09/09/2010 at 03:02 PM.
  11.    #331  
    Tap on the Zoom-value...
    Set Renderer to offline before. To search for Wien is only to test the map tiles.
    Thanks !

Do you mean, search manually by panning around the screen ? I thought you meant search by typing in 'Wien' somewhere.

I've now tried to zoom out from Norway where I'm at now, and but I can only zoom out to level 5. Nothing happens when I try to zoom out more.
  13.    #333  
    Tap the button on the bottom where the zoom level is displayed, it opens a menu, there is search...
    Thanks !

That did it. It works ! Cool. This software is really great so far. I'll report on how it works once I get there.
    :-)

And thanks again for all the quick replies !!
  15.    #335  
    No problem
    By the way. I know it has been mentioned before. But a manual, preferably online would be great. Like with the search function. I've read all pages of this thread, your blog, and webpage for the app in the homebrew section. Nowhere can I recall the mentioning of this button or the search function.

But so far a great app! Keep up the good work!
  17.    #337  
    Well, manual would be great, right. But I write quite often about the menu which opens when you tap on the zoom value... Also it should be visible in the video which you can access from the AppCatalog or find on youtube.
    Ok, sorry - I must have missed that totally. Anyhow - I'm now in Wien, and the offline maps work flawlessly so far. Thanks again!
    tried checking the box to force it to format as PNG, works perfectly now.
    I am thinking of trying this on a Pixi Plus. It is new and I don't have any homebrew stuff on it.

1. Is it possible to create the ".MapTool" file on the Pixi using an external PC?
    2. Is it necessary to create that file if you do not use offline maps?