Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Hi,

I just tried to import a track (two, actually: one in .kml format, one in .gpx, to see if MapTool could handle both).

However, MapTool just set the rotating device spinning , and that was it - after ten minutes I quit.

Later I thought, can it be that MapTool looks inside the .maptool directory (where, on my Pre, there are now 100000+ tiles from GoogleMaps to be found)?

....or what else can be going wrong?

Regards,

Jochen
    Hi, I reset my Pre, and afterwards the import went without a hitch, if slowly.

Now that I've got it, I found that its 13032 points bring MapTool to a complete standstill.

So, Henk, what do you consider to be the upper limit of track length that MapTool can comfortably handle?

There has been talk about a "create a point every second" setting, and I am all for it, BUT this track was produced on my Centro, set at 1 second per point - no way to display it on the Centro, it's just a program that creates track files for Google Earth, and it was just 3 1/2 hours long; if MapTool can't handle this, then IMHO the 1 second setting would be pointless.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I can't get the maps to show up. I installed Internalz, made a folder called .MapTool on my palm (perhaps that was supposed to go in a certain directory? Not just in the main directory?)
    I downloaded map tiles as per instruction from Mobile Atlas creator (using OSMTracker Tile Storage) and put them in this folder. Then I selected "offline' in MapTool. No maps showed up. Nothing, then I tried putting all the nested folders that resulted from the map download, nothing. Then I tried just the last level of folders.
    So I tried the same thing using the maps obtained from the jtile downloader, and still no maps..I am hung up thinking it is dumb thing I am doing, (like folder structure of the downloaded maps?) but after trying everything I can think of, I can't figure out what I am doing wrong to not make the maps show up..
  3.    #303  
    @Jochen: It's all about speed: if the number of points is too big, MapTool will not be able to draw them fast enough. For tracking a dashboard mode without map and track drawing might help.

@sidetracked: give us a screenshot of your folder hierarchy and ensure you use the correct zoom level and be on the right position.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Anyone knows how to upload offline maps? I'm trying to do so using Mobile Atlas Creator. It is supposed to work but I'm sure I'm missing some step.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Yes, a nice step-by-step tutorial would be really appreciated! Please???
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  6.    #306  
    1. Install Internalz
    2. Open Internalz, navigate to /media/internal
    3. Use menu item 'Create directory' or 'Create folder', use .MapTool as name
    4. Connect your Pre to your computer, select USB drive
    5. Open the Pre on your computer and navigate to .MapTool folder. You might need to enable 'Show hidden files'. On Windows XP you find this option in Explorer menu at options
    6. Use any of the apps to download map tiles
    7. Copy the whole folder structure into the .MapTool folder on your Pre
    8. At the end it might look like this: .MapTool/12/2162/1367.png
    where 12 is the zoom, 2162 and 1367 are the tile number. On windows you might not see the .png extension when you have the default hide known extensions option enabled
    Just downloaded Map Tool last night, and test drove its logging capability on my way in to work this morning. *love* it! I plan to use this for capturing my back roads motorcycle trips.

The ability to save logs locally to the phone would be wonderful, but for now I'll let the log run until I have signal to e-mail it
  8.    #308  
    You don't need to email it, you can save it as gpx file, but you still need data coverage for it. The file is then prepared as text, send to my server and downloaded locally to your device. The file is only stored until the download is finished. I'm not keeping the files It's just the only way to do it on webos. If I would use the FileMgr from Internalz, MapTool wouldn't be allowed in the AppCatalog anymore.
    BTW: A new update is already at Palm for approving... Should come in one or two days
    I'm leaving on a trip in a few hours, 4pm Pacific Time. I spent HOURS yesterday trying to create an atlas for my trip use, I need offline maps. I aborted 4 times after 1/2 hour. Completed one at 4.5 hours and had the wrong map form for my Pre. I reset for OSMTracker file type and source google maps, and tried samples with small areas. Individual samples created quickly, but don't appear to match my geographic aim points.

Please, somebody suggest an exact recipe to pick the tiles/magnifications for a motorcycle trip covering a 100 mile radius of 45.690833 -120.81665 at the Oregon Washington border. I've only got one chance to do this before I go to the airport.

It is easy for me to draw the rectangle, it is the rest of the settings I don't understand

What "zoom levels" to pick?

If I have a 'purple circle' named atlas with multiple rectangular zones (named for towns), is a single file set created with all of these zones?

Am I limited ot only one rectangular zone?

Thanks,

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by four_bar View Post
    I'm leaving on a trip in a few hours, 4pm Pacific Time.
    It is easy for me to draw the rectangle, it is the rest of the settings I don't understand

What "zoom levels" to pick?

If I have a 'purple circle' named atlas with multiple rectangular zones (named for towns), is a single file set created with all of these zones?

Am I limited ot only one rectangular zone?

Thanks,

Mark
    Hi, Mark,

I'm no expert myself, having only once built an atlas for offline use in MapTool - for my vacation in Ireland..

My advice would be, initially to choose just one lowish level; 13 is very quickly created, doesn't use a lot of memory and contains at least the major roads.
    I used the levels up to 13 to cover the whole of Ireland, then added higher zoom levels for those areas where I was going to travel.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$ $add$ $as$ $many$ $rectangles$ $as$ $you$ $like$, $as$ $long$ $as$ $they$ $go$ $into$ $the$ $right$ $directories$ - $this$ $would$, $for$ $example$, $give$ $you$ $a$ $Zoom$ $level$ $15$ $map$ $with$ $lots$ $of$ $holes$ $in$ $it$.
    For riding a motorbike, everything above 15 would probably be too large - 18 is even too large for walking.

Try just level 12 or 13 first, transfer the "12" / "13" directory to .MapTool on your Pre, have a look, then decide how much more detail you need.

Hope this reaches you in time - it's just past nine pm in Ireland - that's one pm(?) on the American west coast?

Regards,

Jochen
    FYI, here are the steps I took in Mobile Atlas Creator:
    (No idea if they are the best choice, but theyx worked for me)
    1.Drag a rectangle about the Region I wanted.
    2.Tap "Select entered coordinates"
    3. Map Source: Google Maps
    4. Zoom level 13 (just 17000 tiles for the whole of Ireland - "12" -> 4400)
    5.Tapped "Add selection" several times to make sure the tiles had somewhere to go (no idea whether this is necessary - but it worked ;-) )
    6. Made sure "OSMTracker..." was selected.
    7. Klicked "Settings - Directories" to make sure I could find the tiles
    8. Klicked "Create Atlas"
    9. Transferred the "13" directory to the Pre in USB mode.

[Sorry for any typos, but I'm in a bit of a hurry myself - I think I just bricked my phone when installing a patch :-(( ]
    Hi, am unable to navigate on MapTool (offline) like i can do on Google Maps. That is i cant navigate away from my current position in Map Tool. I am a novice, But is it that in offline MapTool only one tile is loaded when you are stationary thus cant navigate to other tiles.....
    Just chiming in - still loving this application, but one track I created killed the application. When I finished my trip, I clicked the airplane icon, and chose "Current Track." It said that 5 e-mails would be created, and prompted me with an OK button.

I touched the OK button, and only 2 e-mails were created. MapTool then froze with the OK dialog displaying. After waiting and playing for a while, I had to throw away the card
  14.    #314  
    Ensure you have the latest update, remove 'force email' from the options. Tap the zoom level value and select 'list tracks'. Go to your last track and tap it and select save.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Hi - say I download tiles from 2 different areas that are not connected. Both are in Zoom Level "12". Can I combine the two "12" folders? Or can I have sub-folders in .MapTool, one for area "ABC", one for area "XYZ"?
  16.    #316  
    Just merge them, the tile-names are globally unique.
    Hi, I´ve a problem with mapping tool, it was working wonderfully and suddenly when I up date the program it doesn´t work any more. I tray everything. Please I need some help, because is an excellent app. Thanks
  18.    #318  
    Doesn't work anymore means what? Please explain what you see when you launch it. Have you tried to delete it and reinstall it? Maybe something is corrupted.
    I've got a problem using Mapping Tool in conjunction with the Geocaching for WebOS app which just cropped up yesterday.

When I choose "Show targets in Mapping Tool" from the Geocaching apps menu, I'm brought back to Mapping Tool as expected. Unfortunately, I'm relocated to the South Pole, Lat & Long 0. If I click on the blue button, it'll recenter on my actual location, but none of the local geocaches are showing up.

I'm assuming that the targets aren't making their way into Mapping Tool, but I don't know if this is an issue with Mapping Tool or Geocaching for WebOS.

Anyone else seeing (or had in the past) this issue?
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
  20.    #320  
    for me it looks more like a "geocaching for webos" problem. At leats it works here wit hthe latest MapTool and a probably a bit outdated gfw app.