1.    #1  
    ImagePREsizer - An image resizing app for WebOS

PLEASE CONSIDER: use at your own risk! This app will be installed in root mode. A script will be executed to install a system service. I've tested it on my own Palm Pre and it is working, but I cannot promise that it is working for you too.

Until now, the built-in camera in my Pre has no choice for resolution. So the resulting images are very big - too big for uploading to a twitter photo service.
    With this app you can resize this image. Stored Images are smaller

Download:
    Until now, you can grab ImagePREsizer from the project page:
    http://code.google.com/p/imagepresizer
    But please read the instructions!!
    Link to the app page: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/imagepresizer

Features:
    • Allows you to resize any image on your device and save it under a new name or with the original name to overwrite it
    • Possibility to convert to another format (by changing the file extension)
    • Aspect ratio will be kept

Requirements:
    • Optware
    • ImageMagick

Instructions:
    Please read the Wiki: Wiki Pages - imagepresizer - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Link to the app page: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/imagepresizer

Bugs/Limitations:
    • Uninstallation doesn't remove everything
    • Spaces in file names cause troubles

Screenshots:

Hope you find this app useful. Any remarks and bug reports are welcome!

TippiX
    Last edited by TippiX; 12/15/2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: added link
    I've been waiting for an app like this. Waiting for my phone to restart, then i'll give it a try!
    Finally....a resizer. Most people I send pics to barely get them since its so big.

I'm guessing this is an advance homebrew app. I'm sure many users need this app but afaird to do the optware steps. I haven't done putty in months let alone I don't even remember if I got optware. Could this be done through the terminal app?

If this app can ever make it to preware then this would be even greater. I'll download it once I get home. Thanks Tip
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I can't really understand why "basic" functionality like this requires root access. Or is this because it needs some libraries installed which are not present (ImageMagick)? A bit weak that webos itself lacks this functionality out of the box.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, the app needs root access because of libraries.

I don't know a way to read images into javascript and write them. So there is a system service, wich calls a java program.
    Also optware and imagemagick need to be installed as root.

I thought about many other possibilities, but i didn't found any.
    Not even a java library exists which can handle images. All depend on java.awt, which is not part of the java in your webos.
    much needed app, i'll get it on my phone later and report back,thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I can't really understand why "basic" functionality like this requires root access. Or is this because it needs some libraries installed which are not present (ImageMagick)? A bit weak that webos itself lacks this functionality out of the box.
    I'm not sure i would call, post image resizing "basic functionality", and i"m pretty hard on palm's shortcomings.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    is it possible to execute those commands to install Opware and ImageMagick through WebOS Quick Install Linux Commandline?
  9.    #9  
    In Germany, we would say "jein" .. which means yesno

Installation of optware is difficult. You have to make input like set a non-root user account and so on. This could sure be made automatically, but i'm not an expert of this. Here we need help from the guy(s) who made Optware.

Imagemagick can easily installed via commandline during installation of ImagePREsizer. But if somebody is able to install optware, imagemagick should be installed via terminal too. so you can test it before using ImagePREsizer.

BTW: does anybody know a java library for image processing, which does NOT depend on java.awt? ich searched the whole web, but couldn't find anything
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I dont use twitter but I am able to upload pics to facebook, kodak gallery, etc,,etc,,,without any issues. I sedn pics via MMS and all is fine. I have never had anyone tell me they can't see my pics....

I am not understanding the problem here....

I use pixelpipe to upload to social webs....
    does the existence of this app mean that one could create an app to further edit photos, like add filters and such? I was reading the forums the other day, and someone who seemed knowledgable said that such a thing would be impossible because such files couldn't be saved to the device...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2014027
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 12/14/2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TippiX View Post
    Imagemagick can easily installed via commandline during installation of ImagePREsizer. But if somebody is able to install optware, imagemagick should be installed via terminal too. so you can test it before using ImagePREsizer.

BTW: does anybody know a java library for image processing, which does NOT depend on java.awt? ich searched the whole web, but couldn't find anything
    Not sure of any image processing library offhand.

I feel it may be worth pointing out, in the 1.3.1 changelog, I believe there was a mention of a new "resize, crop, convert image files" widget called ImageViewCrop. I believe it's still undocumented, like a few other 1.3.1 features. Maybe it would be worthwhile using that in future updates? At least then you'd be able to release without need for the java service and it could potentially be released on the app catalog.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    I'm not sure i would call, post image resizing "basic functionality", and i"m pretty hard on palm's shortcomings.
    On a camera phone IMO it should be. I should be able to resize taken pictures to acceptable sizes for e.g. MMS. I also had to add Resco Image Viewer on my Centro to get this done, FAIL!
    Looks great, but isn't there an undocumented extractfs API that doesn't need rooting or any modifications?
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TippiX View Post
    In Germany, we would say "jein" .. which means yesno

Installation of optware is difficult. You have to make input like set a non-root user account and so on. This could sure be made automatically, but i'm not an expert of this. Here we need help from the guy(s) who made Optware.
    I wouldn't really say Optware is difficult. Compared to what it used to be ( doing each cmd line-by-line ) now that the scripts are out. Last time I check it was only a few lines & the scripts prompted you for the rest of the info. Even for the average user it is still pretty simple. At least that's my opinion =]
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    You just can't please everyone.

Anyhyoo.. Thanks! This is great. I use my camera (for work) all the time and sending pictures in the default size was a real pita for the end user.

The only thing I would like to see is some automation or perhaps some integration with the camera. Not that it is a request.. just would be nice.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    does the existence of this app mean that one could create an app to further edit photos, like add filters and such? I was reading the forums the other day, and someone who seemed knowledgable said that such a thing would be impossible because such files couldn't be saved to the device...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2014027
    This is why I chose tha java way. A little bit difficult, but you have then a wide range of possibilities. Java is easy to code und calling any linux command line tool (C or C++) is great. You only need to know the syntax for a tool. Everythin imagemagick can do can theoretically also be done with webos. But for this, my GUI must be advanced. Everything is open-source ..

But I do not want to spend much time for doing this. I hope in future there will be an easier way. For example with image manipulation in javascript and saving files via webos. This is a big need!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille
    Not sure of any image processing library offhand.

I feel it may be worth pointing out, in the 1.3.1 changelog, I believe there was a mention of a new "resize, crop, convert image files" widget called ImageViewCrop. I believe it's still undocumented, like a few other 1.3.1 features. Maybe it would be worthwhile using that in future updates? At least then you'd be able to release without need for the java service and it could potentially be released on the app catalog.
    I'm going to find the functions you are mentioning. Or do you have a link? It would be really interesting, if something is already implemented, but for example just commented out. Then a patch will do what we need

Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard
    Looks great, but isn't there an undocumented extractfs API that doesn't need rooting or any modifications?
    I don't know such an API and it seems nobody else too. But we are really looking for something. My solution is only a workaround, I'm also interested in an easier handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06
    I wouldn't really say Optware is difficult. Compared to what it used to be ( doing each cmd line-by-line ) now that the scripts are out. Last time I check it was only a few lines & the scripts prompted you for the rest of the info. Even for the average user it is still pretty simple. At least that's my opinion =]
    Perhaps you are right. But I believe it would be better if there exists an automatically installer (don't know the correct english word), which can run unattended.
    But: you need feedback (installation is a long process, it wouldn't be good if a user cancel installation because he tinks nothing is happening), there must be a check if it is already installed and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY
    The only thing I would like to see is some automation or perhaps some integration with the camera. Not that it is a request.. just would be nice.
    This is my second WebOS app. Many things are really new for me. But I searched the whole webos code to find out how the camera works. But still not sure. I cannot find the call of the cam api (i think it must be a linux command), and also the code for saving the picture hides from me
    It would be greate to create a patch doing what you mentioned. Perhaps here are some good webos coders who can take a look at this.
    Perhaps you are right. But I believe it would be better if there exists an automatically installer (don't know the correct english word), which can run unattended.
    But: you need feedback (installation is a long process, it wouldn't be good if a user cancel installation because he tinks nothing is happening), there must be a check if it is already installed and so on.
    Absolutely. I understand the desire for a simpler installer, i just wanted to post that it is not //too// complicated, since that might scare potential users away. It is more of an involved process than anything. Just wanted to post my opinion so that users considering setting up Optware could see that it's mostly scripts now .

~ Again, thanks for the application!!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Absolutely. I understand the desire for a simpler installer, i just wanted to post that it is not //too// complicated, since that might scare potential users away. It is more of an involved process than anything. Just wanted to post my opinion so that users considering setting up Optware could see that it's mostly scripts now .

~ Again, thanks for the application!!
    Thanks for the feedback Good to see, that my app has users.

Sure, installation of optware is not too complicated. You only need to run this 4 lines of code: Next steps - WebOS Internals (in terminal or novaterm).
    But the first time many people could be afraid of bricking their pre (which cannot happen!).

I thought about your post and here is another problem: unattended installation of optware would create a default user with a default password (the same password). This would be a high security risk.
    Perhaps optware can be installed without creating a user. Then you cannot login via putty, but a "normal" user doesn't need this. So only the first 10 steps of this tut Setting up optware feed - WebOS Internals are needed.

I have already ideas for another app. File transfer via wifi with the help os samba. I made a gui to enable and disable samba. Samba is also part of optware. It works fine, but configuration is needed (smb.conf and a samba user). I thought about a wizard ... but there are so many things that can go wrong