Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Topple Maze v0.1.0 (BETA)

I had some free time today so I churned out a playable version of something I've had in the drawer - Topple Maze. Right now the game is pretty dry, all there is to do is navigate the ball through the maze and get it into the goal. There are 40 levels. The mazes get thicker as the levels progress. The mazes are randomly generated, so every game will be different.

Keep in mind that this is beta, there are likely to be some bugs. I plan on improving the game, hopefully with some great ideas from the excellent people here at PreCentral!

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/topple-maze

topplemaze_2009-06-12_205841.png topplemaze_2009-06-12_205625.png topplemaze_2009-06-12_205826.png
    Last edited by MrJspeed; 12/08/2009 at 11:52 AM.
    sweet i really like topple ball and this sounds just as good ,cant wait !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Add some holes to the maze, kinda like that Labyrinth game on the iPhone. I'd buy that too....as long as it shows up in the App Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Add some holes to the maze, kinda like that Labyrinth game on the iPhone. I'd buy that too....as long as it shows up in the App Catalog.
    Have you checked out the original Topple Ball?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Have you checked out the original Topple Ball?
    Yeah...bought it too, but I always loved the Labyrinth game on the iPhone which combines the labyrinth with the holes, it would be more interesting, in my opinion, than just getting the ball to the labyrinth. Or he could double the levels, one just a labyrinth, one a labyrinth with holes.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    just an idea. to add something new, how about a special mode where you navigate two balls through two separate mazes at once (no holes in this one, that would be too hard)?
  7.    #7  
    game should now be available for download on homebrew.
    I agree on the Labyrinth concept. I used to spend hours playing the original Labyrinth game when I was a kid. I already own Topple Ball but would gladly purchase a Labyrinth type game.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I agree with Manny. I love Topple Ball, and what I love about it is the challenge. You have 5 lives; can you get to the last level? I played Topple Mze for a while with no concern that I was going to lose, which kind of elliminates the skill. Even if there was a clock ticking down it would be something to make it harder.
    I love the idea of 2 balls on some levels. But I would say the game would be more challenging with holes in the maze, at least after a few easy levels.
    One last thing: I got through about 10 levels and the game froze on me. I had to pause it and unpause it, and even then it was really choppy. I had to restart the program to get it back to normal. I love the idea and can't wait to see it in the catalog!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I actually think I like this game a little more than the regular Topple Ball. I like the way the ball gets smaller as the courses get bigger. I'd also agree with the suggestion (if possible) to add holes to the maze to make it more challenging.

I know that it complicates thing greatly, but I'd also suggest from a gameplay standpoint that adding things such as power ups, secrets, and extras can greatly improve a game's value and gameplay. It can turn something from basically an enhanced tech-demo into an actual gaming experience.

Some ideas might be:

A power up you can get in one section of the maze that allows you to click and teleport to anther spot on the board (or maybe fixed teleport spots for increased puzzle challenge).

A multi-ball power up.

Secret false-walls in the maze.

Moving/shifting maze walls.

A Lazer Gun!

Etc.
  11.    #11  
    all good suggestions. One thing that comes to mind is a bonus randomly placed on the maze, like a time bonus. If you capture it, it will reduce the time spent on the level.

I think I will change the the scoring system to be time instead of points. The less time spent completing the game, the better.

The 2-mazes-at-once seems very interesting. I will look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I think I will change the the scoring system to be time instead of points. The less time spent completing the game, the better.
    This is a much better idea for this and topple ball. It was always confusing why I get less points for rocking a really tough level than I for casually solving a simple one.

Perhaps you need an idea of "par" for a level and that influences how to calculate the score, if you don't go with time based.

BTW - My wife asked about something like this when you first pushed out Topple Ball. She just told me that this was "exactly what she was talking about."
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Just tested it... the physics are perfect and I found no bugs. I agree with the suggestion about timing as score, although if you add bonuses and such, then score comes back to being important again.

What I don't understand is how the scoring is done on this game. If the boards are randomly generated, then how can there be a score? One board might be much harder than another.

I also like the two mazes at once concept- could be really challenging. There is something similar in the Linux Enigma-freeoxyd game: Enigma Homepage (if you have not tried it, you really should).

In fact, if you are up for a real challenge after this game, a port of Enigma/Oxyd would be WICKED on the Pre!
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    all good suggestions. One thing that comes to mind is a bonus randomly placed on the maze, like a time bonus. If you capture it, it will reduce the time spent on the level.

The 2-mazes-at-once seems very interesting. I will look into that.
    even I like the points system, maybe the time system would be also good.. maybe you could switch between them?

Another thing that came to my mind.. traps... the system of holes was already talked about here... but maybe holes that appears and desappears randomly or even better in certain intervals on the same place.. so you need to check if the trap will not run in the same time you are going to pass it... so maybe wait and check the interval before going over... something like that... :-)

BTW: another one Im willing to buy :-)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Very nice game, I'll be purchasing it as soon as it's in the catalog (another good one for the kids to keep them occupied waiting for food at a restaurant!) Lots of good suggestions on the thread already so I won't add any more... other than a timed mode, which would add a lot in my opinion. Good job!
    i just flipped your game i like it alot i was a little confused about the scoring i like the idea of time because i just beat the whole game in about 15- 20 mins so i thought i should somthing extra for that. overall i like it . It froze on me about ummm 3 different times for about 12 seconds ,over all great app. i like the game maybe a time clock and some holes would be nice , plan to buy it when it hits the app store . keep up the good work .lets see i got a high score of 746 on the 40 level
    I knew this was coming!

I think Jspeed already has everything he needs in TB already. He has holes, switches, bumpers, etc., so it's just a matter of adding those creatively. How about...

-Areas in the later levels that are still a "maze" but of the path only and no walls.
    -Switch in one area opens a door in another.
    -"Multi-screen" maze that is maybe 2 "Screens" wide and when you go through the opening at the side, you go to the other part of the maze. (this would allow to need 'keys' to unlock the exit at the end or disable traps)
    -Teleports from one part to the next (or one maze "screen" to the next if you are unable to 'scroll over' to another part of the maze.
    -Energy meter on the ball that it could take "damage" from obstacles in the maze?
    -Electric walls? Fire? Spikes? (buttons to temp disable them?)
    -different "terrain" for the mazes? (Grass, concrete, glass, puddle, ice, sand?)

Rock it out!! This game could be king!

Some of my ideas.
    Nice app. Did freeze up on me once for about 30 seconds, and also had low frame rate (briefly) on some of the larger levels. Other than those small probs, I enjoyed all 40 levels. Add a countdown timer to make it challenging, and it will be even better.
    Yeah, I've had a couple freeze-ups as well. I assumed it was because of some background process, but it could be the app itself, I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Nice app. Did freeze up on me once for about 30 seconds, and also had low frame rate (briefly) on some of the larger levels. Other than those small probs, I enjoyed all 40 levels. Add a countdown timer to make it challenging, and it will be even better.
    are you using the accelerometr patch?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast