Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    nice! a little friendly competition with QuickMazes.

i think the timer is a must... i'm starting to feel like points are just too arbitrary and hard to calculate fairly as mentioned by a few folks above. the physics of moving and bouncing a bit are great! are you using a dampened sin wave?

did have a glitch on one of the boards... i'm not sure what your collision detection algorithm is, but i had a good long straight away and i put the pedal to the metal and ended up jumping right through a wall (which i had bounced off of at lower speeds)! i'm sure the updater didn't have time to check the statespace of the ball and the wall, but it's worth looking into.

also, when i bounce at a high speed the ball does shift through the wall a bit. CRAP! i just tested again how much ball i bounce through the wall and i jumped right out of the game (game flashes and comes up with the error testmazeBounds() - yikes!

also, your shadow on the ball shouldn't spill through the wall (not sure if your shadow is part of the ball png).

i keep updating this and would like to get it posted, but i ran into another physics glitch... when i have a straight away (again) and i tilt the phone from one extreme, hit a wall, and tilt to the other extreme, your "bounce" code pulls the ball back to the wall i should be leaving for a bit before allowing it to roll away. again, it's probably a sign of not having a shorter setInterval (if that's how it works) and it can't calculate the change in accelerometer in time.

i'm just finishing up a hot air balloon game, Ballooning, and was hoping to get back into the QuickMazes game.

i won't give away any of my secrets yet, but definitely once my maze game is in beta and out for test feel free to utilize any of the tricks! you'll definitely have a "topple" cult following, so i'd like to see your app adapt into a top-notch game.

great start for a 0.1 beta! looking forward to more.

cheers.
    Last edited by shanerooni; 12/09/2009 at 07:32 AM.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanerooni View Post
    did have a glitch on one of the boards... i'm not sure what your collision detection algorithm is, but i had a good long straight away and i put the pedal to the metal and ended up jumping right through a wall (which i had bounced off of at lower speeds)! i'm sure the updater didn't have time to check the statespace of the ball and the wall, but it's worth looking into.
    You have some great debugging skills. I was aware of this, but it didn't pop up too much in my testing so I decided to put it on hold. Actually, the same issue plagues Topple Ball, but it is even more infrequent. Fixing this in Topple Ball would mean a few more costly calculations, but fixing in Topple Maze will be much more tame. This happens when the ball is going so fast that it skips completely over the wall from one frame to the next. The will happen much more in the later levels. I'll have this fixed in the next release.

also, when i bounce at a high speed the ball does shift through the wall a bit. CRAP! i just tested again how much ball i bounce through the wall and i jumped right out of the game (game flashes and comes up with the error testmazeBounds() - yikes!
    this should also be an easy fix, just need to add more conditions to the hti detection.

i keep updating this and would like to get it posted, but i ran into another physics glitch... when i have a straight away (again) and i tilt the phone from one extreme, hit a wall, and tilt to the other extreme, your "bounce" code pulls the ball back to the wall i should be leaving for a bit before allowing it to roll away. again, it's probably a sign of not having a shorter setInterval (if that's how it works) and it can't calculate the change in accelerometer in time.
    I believe this problem to be from the fact that the accelerometer is polled at 4 times a second, whereas my game draws at 30fps. This means that the acceleration could take as long as 7 frames to update. My guess is that you hit the wall with heavy force, and when you flipped it, the ball still went toward the wall because the new accel hadn't updated yet. This problem is most noticeable when the position of the phone is polarized very quickly. Play the first level of Topple Ball and rotate the phone between -90 and 90 degrees quickly, you'll likely see that the ball is behaving a little sporadically.

I think once I submit this to the App Catalog, I'll rename it to "Tilt Maze." I don't know why, it just seems more fitting to me.
    I'm going to wait until the program is a little more polished but it looks like a promising game.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    I think once I submit this to the App Catalog, I'll rename it to "Tilt Maze." I don't know why, it just seems more fitting to me.
    hey, you don't have it on here for all fun and no work. i like to push it to the limits, and worry about actually playing it later. i'd be ashamed of myself if i played it (as a dev, at least), and didn't find anything wrong with a 0.1.

i like Tilt Maze better as a name... you definitely don't want to get funneled into a particular branding if it can be helped (like the person who keeps throwing 5000 fan apps into the palm catalog!).

it's a great game. i will tell you my game will have open space. i know most of the maze generators have it so there is only 1 square unit open at a time which works in your case, but on a 3d maze i can definitely utilize an open "room". however, as someone mentioned, if you want to put some traps, holes, etc. in, it might be worth having some open space to fall into.

cheers.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    are you using the accelerometr patch?
    No accelerometer patch. Only patches i have are LED notifications, and the camera flash flashlight. Also didnt have any other cards open, not sure what background processes i had running though.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    No accelerometer patch. Only patches i have are LED notifications, and the camera flash flashlight. Also didnt have any other cards open, not sure what background processes i had running though.
    the slowdowns I have experienced are due to 2 reasons. One is the garbage collection, which is hard to avoid. For some reason, I've seen it get a little bit worse from 1.2 to 1.3.1, but it seems to happen less often. The only other lag I've seen is when my switcharoo switches backgrounds.

I will try to dissect my code to see if I can attribute it to anything else.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Fun app to play although it I agree there needs to be some additional obstacles or time pressure to liven the game up and make it a little more difficult.

I also experienced a few freezes along the way. One of which I'm sure was caused by Switcheroo changing a wallpaper.

Nice work MrJspeed.
    One is the garbage collection, which is hard to avoid.
    Yep, I saw those a few times playing. It affects EVERYTHING on the Pre, but is most noticeable in something realtime, like an interactively drawing game. One pause I had was over 3 seconds!

I do hope Palm will address that at some point. There are four major things that hurt the Pre for gaming:

1) Lack of GPU use
    2) Lack of low-level coding
    3) Garbage collecting
    4) Lack of 5-way-nav button (which is essential for easy control in things like pacman, etc.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Excellent start for this game.

Minor cosmetic suggestions for later on would be some different wall types (metal, wood, etc, rather than just solid lines). Not to mention different wall types might bounce off of differently.

Another possible option would be the ability to set the calibration "center" for the accelerometer. That way you could play more at an angle that doesn't require tiling the screen away from you so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Excellent start for this game.

Minor cosmetic suggestions for later on would be some different wall types (metal, wood, etc, rather than just solid lines). Not to mention different wall types might bounce off of differently.

Another possible option would be the ability to set the calibration "center" for the accelerometer. That way you could play more at an angle that doesn't require tiling the screen away from you so much.
    There's a preferences menu in the top left on the main screen...
    Ah i see, I forgot to go back to the main screen to look for preferences and was trying on the game screen.

One other issue is no confirmation on selecting "Start Free Play" if you have an existing game. Might be a good idea just to prevent accidentally offing your existing game if you click the wrong thing.
    Last edited by papped; 12/09/2009 at 08:44 PM.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    One other issue is no confirmation on selecting "Start Free Play" if you have an existing game. Might be a good idea just to prevent accidentally offing your existing game if you click the wrong thing.
    great idea
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    My suggestions are:
    1- add a timer.
    2- create shifting puzzles for the harder final levels. maybe level 41 would be the same size as level 1, but every second, the walls shift into a new puzzle. You could probably just make them fade between each other.
    the slowdowns I have experienced are due to 2 reasons. One is the garbage collection, which is hard to avoid. For some reason, I've seen it get a little bit worse from 1.2 to 1.3.1, but it seems to happen less often. The only other lag I've seen is when my switcharoo switches backgrounds.

I will try to dissect my code to see if I can attribute it to anything else.

I had a lot of lags (on topple ball) before installing the accelerometr patch.. Now it is much better.. and never got any lag on the maze game...
    Thank you very much for this. I have enjoyed Topple Ball, and I like this even more! I will be looking for this in the App Catalog.
    I must say I love this game...After having a for now 6+ months I FINALLY found a game thats a good tomewaster! This even made me download Topple Ball Mini...I think when yours is released on the app cat I will be getting this. same with Topple Ball mini....
    Feature Request: it may be cool to have a way to add levels (as plugins), e.g. as json file.
    yeah this is a great app. i had freeze on me though. like topple ball you should make where you can fall the edge.
    The app loads but when I click "Start Free Play" I get the popup message:

Error

activated() Error name: TypeError.
    Error message: Object #<an
    anonymous> has no method
    'setWindowProperties'

I am running webOS 1.2.1

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    This is a great app.. Fun, especially the levels after 30..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast