webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > BibleZ
BibleZ
Like Tree1Likes

Old 12/06/2009, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

BibleZ is a port of a young bible study app (BibleZ | explore the word!) for webOS. BibleZ relies on Zefania XML Bible modules.

Video Demo: YouTube - BibleZ 0.6.4 for webOS

Download: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

Features are:
  • many modules (currently 58)
  • Bookmarks
  • Fulltext Search
  • cool Look&Feel
  • verse highlighting
  • own study notes
  • bible passage history
  • multilingual interface (german/english)
  • nearly everylist is a filterList, so you can search your notes, bookmarks, ...

BibleZ imports each module in a Sqlite database. So it takes several minutes to import one module.

Last edited by zefanja; 05/19/2010 at 05:17 AM.
zefanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2009, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
nak

Thanks for this app.

It seems the filter feature isn't working as is supposed to. For example, when I select the list of Books and start typing "Matthew" or some few letters of a Book, the list doesn't filter itself to the strings I specify rendering the filter functionality non-practical. Please look into this and resolve it. Thanks.
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

@nak: The FilterLists are ok, the only problem is, that filtering the list is case sensitiv, so you have to type "Matthew" and not "matthew". But thanks for the hint, I will fix it asap and hope that I understood you correctly.

Regards, zefanja
Old 12/11/2009, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi zefanja,

thank you for the app!

Is it possible to install zefanja modules via USB-Storage similiar to the "Simple Bible" app? I have several zefanja modules for my desktop application.

Thanks in advance,
Ralf
Ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Is it possible to install zefanja modules via USB-Storage similiar to the "Simple Bible" app?
No, because BibleZ doesn't make use of the zefania xml directly. It imports them in databases. The webOS SDK doesn't allowed to use prebuild databases, so you have to create the database, import the verses, ... and then you can use it.

Regards, zefanja
Old 12/11/2009, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks once again for this app.. however i can't download any bible. it just staying in downloading mode for 15 minutes and nothing happens.. can u pls help... im very excited about this...
markbperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmm...do you really can't install _any_ bible? Try to import a NT (and close all other cards), this should work.
Old 12/11/2009, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefanja View Post
@nak: The FilterLists are ok, the only problem is, that filtering the list is case sensitiv, so you have to type "Matthew" and not "matthew". But thanks for the hint, I will fix it asap and hope that I understood you correctly.

Regards, zefanja
Yes, you are right. The filter is case sensitive. No wonder none of my search terms showed up.
nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Hmm...do you really can't install _any_ bible? Try to import a NT (and close all other cards), this should work.
Im new at this .. can you show me steps to importing NT ?
markbperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2009, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
No, because BibleZ doesn't make use of the zefania xml directly. It imports them in databases. The webOS SDK doesn't allowed to use prebuild databases, so you have to create the database, import the verses, ... and then you can use it.

Regards, zefanja
But can't the xml-file be imported from the internal flashdisc rather than from a webserver?
Old 12/12/2009, 04:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
But can't the xml-file be imported from the internal flashdisc rather than from a webserver?
Yes, this is possible, but not the best way, because the the Pre could only import XML files < 3MB. A whole bible is around 6MB. So you have to split it first and that isn't very userfriendly.
Old 12/12/2009, 04:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbperfect View Post
Im new at this .. can you show me steps to importing NT ?
Do you know how to import a bible? You have to open the Modulemanager in the AppMenu (left upper corner). There you can choose 'Add Module...' and install one of the modules.
Old 12/12/2009, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, this is possible, but not the best way, because the the Pre could only import XML files < 3MB. A whole bible is around 6MB. So you have to split it first and that isn't very userfriendly.
That may be, but I'm asking because I would love to import the bibles I already own in zefanja format and that you can't provide over a webserver. Do you think, there is a way? Cause your interface is the best I've seen so far on webos.
Old 12/13/2009, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
That may be, but I'm asking because I would love to import the bibles I already own in zefanja format and that you can't provide over a webserver. Do you think, there is a way? Cause your interface is the best I've seen so far on webos.
Ok, you're right. There should be the possibility to import own modules. I will try to implement this.
Thanked By: Ralf
Old 12/15/2009, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Is it normal for the app to take 30+ minutes to finish importing?
rmurfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurfster View Post
Is it normal for the app to take 30+ minutes to finish importing?
No, if the BibleZ card is in the front and to device is on, it takes around 10-15 min to import a whole bible. If the ModuleManager shows something like "Downloading...100%" and BibleZ seems to do nothing for some time, then there was probably a error. You can retry to import the module, but don't forget to remove it first, when it appears in the module list.

Regards, zefanja
Old 12/15/2009, 12:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
No, if the BibleZ card is in the front and to device is on, it takes around 10-15 min to import a whole bible. If the ModuleManager shows something like "Downloading...100%" and BibleZ seems to do nothing for some time, then there was probably a error. You can retry to import the module, but don't forget to remove it first, when it appears in the module list.

Regards, zefanja
Thanks for the quick answer!

Actually, I've tried 2 times to download the New American Standard Bible and it downloads pretty quick, but hangs at 100%. I let it at 100% for over an hour before I swiped back. However, it never shows up on the Bible list.

Has BibleZ eaten any storage during the download? If I uninstall the app, will any temporary downloads remain on my Pre? If so, how do I delete them?

Thanks,
Richard
rmurfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 12:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hello Richard,

There seems to be a bug with the ASV, i will fix it soon. I could import the ASV, but I have to close all open cards.

When you remove BibleZ all databases will be removed expect the "biblezlastmodule.xml" in /media/internals/download. This file can be removed manually.

zefanja
Old 12/17/2009, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

So...0.5.2 is uploaded. Only minor changes. I reduce the size of the module parts, so I hope there will be less errors when importing a module.

Regards, Stephan
Old 12/20/2009, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just a few observations (and I really don't expect you to fix these right away since you're still at version 0.5.2, which is a long ways from a 1.0, but just to keep in mind before hitting 1.0):

1. You support bibles in multiple languages, but the Book names don't reflect this, at least with Spanish. I imported Las Sagradas Escrituras and when I browsed for the Books, all of the names were in English instead of Spanish. I don't know if this happens with other languages, but just letting you know about this.

2. You only show the chosen chapter. For instance, if I choose Genesis 2, I only see that chapter. I can't scroll up further to show Genesis 1 nor keep scrolling down to show Genesis 3. As such, it is too abrupt and while it works for browsing a particular chapter and verse if you're looking for them, it's not conducive to just reading if that's what you want to do.

On the plus side though, I really like that you have a notes section in there. I haven't taken the time to use the bookmarks yet to know if they work as expected, but it's also good to see that functionality.

Last edited by silverthornne; 12/20/2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fixing some grammar
silverthornne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bible, gods word, zefania

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0