Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    It looks like some other software programs are using it now. Just have to send them a notice asking for permission.

NET Bible Download | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site
    Great app. Please keep up the development!

I have a request. Could you change the sort order in the history drop down menu to display the most recently visited chapter at the top of the list, and also to not display the currently displayed chapter (a bit redundant.)

Also, I wonder if it might be better to repurpose the arrows at the bottom of the screen to step forward and backward through the history (much like a web browser.) I find this is the way I tend to use a bible app. I read one passage, then I might want to look up another verse, and immediately afterwards, I want to jump back to where I was previously. It would be nice if that was a single tap. Then, I might want to jump forward again to that verse I looked up, to quickly reread it, then back again to the chapter I am reading. You get the idea. Using the history drop down menu works, but it isn't the most elegant solution.

Or maybe, you could add forward and backward buttons at the ends of the bar displaying the chapter.

If you were to repurpose the arrows at the bottom of the screen, perhaps a method of jumping to the next or previous chapter could be a gesture on the screen --- swipe left on the screen to go to the next chapter, swipe right to go to the previous chapter. It would be kind of like physically turning the page in a book.

What do you think?
    +1 for commentary support!

And, have you thought about split window viewing of either two translations side-by-side or commentary beside a translation?
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I have a request. Could you change the sort order in the history drop down menu to display the most recently visited chapter at the top of the list, and also to not display the currently displayed chapter (a bit redundant.)
    Yes...I will change this.

Also, I wonder if it might be better to repurpose the arrows at the bottom of the screen to step forward and backward through the history (much like a web browser.) I find this is the way I tend to use a bible app. I read one passage, then I might want to look up another verse, and immediately afterwards, I want to jump back to where I was previously. It would be nice if that was a single tap. Then, I might want to jump forward again to that verse I looked up, to quickly reread it, then back again to the chapter I am reading. You get the idea. Using the history drop down menu works, but it isn't the most elegant solution.

[...]

What do you think?
    If you read one chapter and want to read the next one, you won't tap again on the bible passage select the book and the next chapter again. It is easier just to tap on the left or right arrow. So I don't wan to change the behaviour of these buttons. But it is an idea to swipe left and right to go through the history. It's not difficult to make a fullfeatured app but to make an easy-to-use and clearly arranged one.

+1 for commentary support!
    +1

And, have you thought about split window viewing of either two translations side-by-side or commentary beside a translation?
    That makes sense for a Pre but not for a Pixi because of the screen size. I will think about this. The main reason why there are currently no commentaries is, that the way I've chosen to manage all the modules (in sqlite databases) is not the best for that big datas. You have a great flexibility (that's one of the reasons why it wasn't that difficult to add fulltext search and highlighting), but it is slow. Too slow. It's not very userfriendly to import one module in 10-15 min.
    So I think about a solution to this problem. I want the flexibility and also a fast user interface. My plan for the future is to switch to the sword project and use there modules and commentaries. if the PDK is ready for everyone I want to start to develop a new backend for BibleZ. Maybe there will be a completly new app or just the new backend. What do you think about that?

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragement!
  5.    #65  
    BTW: Today I added support for importing local modules! I will test this a little bit and hope that it will work for everyone. Before you import your own modules you have to prepare them. I wrote a python script that does this for you. Maybe someone want to write a little GUI for that (you have to convert only OT+NT modules, NT Modules are small enough to work without this converter).

The syntax is: python moduleConverter.py path/to/yourModule.xml

Currently there is an update on the way to your webOS phone that will have a nice Copy & Share function.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by zefanja View Post
    If you read one chapter and want to read the next one, you won't tap again on the bible passage select the book and the next chapter again. It is easier just to tap on the left or right arrow. So I don't wan to change the behaviour of these buttons. But it is an idea to swipe left and right to go through the history. It's not difficult to make a fullfeatured app but to make an easy-to-use and clearly arranged one.
    I completely agree with keeping the app clearly arranged. And also you don't want to change the behaviour of buttons unnecessarily and confuse users.

That being said, I think there are 4 different ways that I can think of to implement a quick forward/backward (as opposed to manually selecting the next chapter by navigating to it using the "chapter button" at the top. And there are 2 reasons to go forward and backward: next/previous chapter and next/previous history. The 4 ways to move forward/backward are: left/right buttons at the bottom as you currently have; swipe left/right on the text; left/right buttons on the chapter bar at the top (i.e. instead of [ Matthew 1 ], use this [<- Matthew 1 ->]; and left/right buttons on either side of the history button (although this would mess up your symmetry!)

I would like to see the left/right buttons at the bottom removed, possibly to make room for new buttons. One new button I can think of is one to bring up a list of all the verses you have highlighted, along with the text that was highlighted in each verse with the highlighting shown (i.e. different colours.)

That would leave swiping the text, buttons in the "chapter button" and buttons surrounding the history button as the methods of going forward/backward. I think it might be most elegant to use swiping as the preferred method for next/previous chapter. It would most approximate reading a physical bible -- flicking to turn the page.

Oh, and also, it would be nice to be able to go back to the previous chapter when currently displaying the first chapter in a book -- the previous chapter being the last chapter in the previous book.

I hope you don't mind the feedback. I know that you have a vision for your software, and in the end you will make the decisions, but I offer up my suggestions for whatever they are worth. Take them or leave them!

That makes sense for a Pre but not for a Pixi because of the screen size. I will think about this. The main reason why there are currently no commentaries is, that the way I've chosen to manage all the modules (in sqlite databases) is not the best for that big datas. You have a great flexibility (that's one of the reasons why it wasn't that difficult to add fulltext search and highlighting), but it is slow. Too slow. It's not very userfriendly to import one module in 10-15 min.
    So I think about a solution to this problem. I want the flexibility and also a fast user interface. My plan for the future is to switch to the sword project and use there modules and commentaries. if the PDK is ready for everyone I want to start to develop a new backend for BibleZ. Maybe there will be a completly new app or just the new backend. What do you think about that?

Thank you all for your feedback and encouragement!
    Interesting about the limitations with sqlite. Too bad. I would welcome any solution that would add commentaries and make the app faster. I am noticing a bit of lag loading chapters.

About the side-by-side display, I think you could implement this in a Pixi, because I think it would even work in portrait mode. I say this because on PalmOS I used Bible+ which had this feature, and it looked fine on my Treo screen. In fact, I have used this feature in Bible+ in Classic on my Pre.

While I am at it, would you be able to add the item "Remove Bookmark" to the menu that appears when selecting a verse that has been previously bookmarked. Currently, the method to remove a bookmark is a bit cumbersome.

I am looking forward to importing my own modules. When will the version that has that feature be available?

Lastly, keep up the good work. This is by far my favourite bible app on WebOS, and it looks like it will only get better. I appreciate the quick updates and your willingness to listen to my feedback.
  7.    #67  
    About the side-by-side display, I think you could implement this in a Pixi, because I think it would even work in portrait mode. I say this because on PalmOS I used Bible+ which had this feature, and it looked fine on my Treo screen. In fact, I have used this feature in Bible+ in Classic on my Pre.
    Bible+ is not designed to use with your fingers =) If you have to use a software with fingers you need more space. But I will look into this.

While I am at it, would you be able to add the item "Remove Bookmark" to the menu that appears when selecting a verse that has been previously bookmarked. Currently, the method to remove a bookmark is a bit cumbersome.
    Good idea.

I will reply to your other suggestions later, ok?

I am looking forward to importing my own modules. When will the version that has that feature be available?
    I think next week.
    I am really enjoying your app the more I use it, and I eagerly anticipate each release! I have a few more comments and suggestions... I hope you don't mind.

The ability to add notes is amazing. Do you you anticipate being able to search user notes? Add a toggle button to include user notes when performing a search? Also, it would be great if there was the ability to toggle on/off the display of notes. Is there a limit to how long a note can be? And finally, it would be very useful to be able to include verse links in the note field. For instance, I would love to be able to add some verses in a note that relate to the verse I am reading, and have Biblez automatically recognize that they are verses, and have them displayed as a link. This is so that when I am reading a verse, and I see a verse address in my note, I can tap on it and be immediately taken to that verse. Then with a quick swipe on the screen (or whatever method you choose) I can go back to the original verse.

[By the way, I have found that if you try to use an apostrophe ' in a note, the note will not be saved.]

This might also allow for the ability to add something like the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge - Bible Concordance

Lastly, I thought I should mention, as someone else has previously, that I too am experiencing some kind of memory leak, and have to routinely exit Biblez and reload it.

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 05/27/2010 at 05:45 PM.
    By the way, I think your method of selecting a book and chapter to navigate to is the best and fastest of all the bible apps.

I have one request though. On the book selection page, could you rearrange the buttons to get all 66 books of the Old and New Testament on the same page. How about using 6 columns by 11 rows? I think the buttons would still be large enough. You could eliminate the "Old Testament" and "New Testament" headings, and instead shade the buttons for the Old and New Testament books different colours.

I wouldn't mind scrolling to get to the Apocrypha books, or even a toggle in Preferences to display/not display them.
  10.    #70  
    I am really enjoying your app the more I use it, and I eagerly anticipate each release! I have a few more comments and suggestions... I hope you don't mind.
    I thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions!

The ability to add notes is amazing. Do you you anticipate being able to search user notes? Add a toggle button to include user notes when performing a search?
    You can search your notes. Just open all your notes and start typing!

Also, it would be great if there was the ability to toggle on/off the display of notes.
    The new update will include this option.

Is there a limit to how long a note can be?
    Hmm...maybe there's a size limit for a sqlite cell, but I don't limit the note size.

And finally, it would be very useful to be able to include verse links in the note field. For instance, I would love to be able to add some verses in a note that relate to the verse I am reading, and have Biblez automatically recognize that they are verses, and have them displayed as a link. This is so that when I am reading a verse, and I see a verse address in my note, I can tap on it and be immediately taken to that verse. Then with a quick swipe on the screen (or whatever method you choose) I can go back to the original verse.
    I take that on my list.

[By the way, I have found that if you try to use an apostrophe ' in a note, the note will not be saved.]
    The next update has a fix for this bug.

Lastly, I thought I should mention, as someone else has previously, that I too am experiencing some kind of memory leak, and have to routinely exit Biblez and reload it.
    I know. That's one of the "show-stoppers". I have looked at this problem but couldn't find what's the reason for that. Maybe it's a problem of the webos garbage collection.

I have one request though. On the book selection page, could you rearrange the buttons to get all 66 books of the Old and New Testament on the same page. How about using 6 columns by 11 rows? I think the buttons would still be large enough. You could eliminate the "Old Testament" and "New Testament" headings, and instead shade the buttons for the Old and New Testament books different colours.
    Hmm...different colors are a good idea. I will try to make 6 columns and see how good I can choose a book with my big fingers =)

Thank you again for all your suggestions!

Stephan
    You can search your notes. Just open all your notes and start typing!
    Cool. I see it works in Bookmarks as well. How about implementing this in Chapter view as well? Would make quick searches within a particular chapter very fast.

It would be very useful to be able to include verse links in the note field. Tap on a verse link and be immediately taken to that verse.
    I take that on my list.
    Another thought... When tapping on a verse link, it could just popup a small window over the currently displayed chapter, sized to fit the verse. Tapping on the small window could take you to the verse in Chapter view, or tapping elsewhere could dismiss the window.

Hmm...different colors are a good idea. I will try to make 6 columns and see how good I can choose a book with my big fingers =)
    Speaking of colours, I like the fact that you are putting some style into your app with the use of colour. The only thing with the current selection of colours is that when you have a lot of notes and highlights, it becomes a bit difficult to read. It is too loud. Any chance you could tone down the colours? For instance, could you add alpha to the highlights to make them much more subdued, to look more like an actual highlighter pen? And for the note background colour, I think it is too much of a contrast to the verse background. But I do like the smaller, italicized font of the notes.

A couple of more things regarding highlighting. Are you going to consider a Highlight View, analagous to your other views, such as Bookmarks and Notes, where you can view the verses (and the text within those verses) you have highlighted? Or how about a toggle in Chapter View where you can choose to view only the highlighted text (or every verse that has some highlighting)?

And I notice that highlighting is specific to a particular translation because of the way you have implemented highlighting of specific words. Have you thought about a method of carrying the highlighting across to all translations, maybe by highlighting the entire verse (in a unique or default highlight colour) in a translation if any part of that verse has been highlighted in one or more other translations?

Food for thought.

Keep it up. Do you have an ETA for the next update?
  12.    #72  
    Speaking of colours, I like the fact that you are putting some style into your app with the use of colour. The only thing with the current selection of colours is that when you have a lot of notes and highlights, it becomes a bit difficult to read. It is too loud. Any chance you could tone down the colours? For instance, could you add alpha to the highlights to make them much more subdued, to look more like an actual highlighter pen? And for the note background colour, I think it is too much of a contrast to the verse background. But I do like the smaller, italicized font of the notes.
    Is fixed.

Do you have an ETA for the next update?
    I submitted the update yesterday again, after it was rejected because of an bug.
    will this app ever give access to NIV and other versions that aren't public domain? I'd happily pay for them. I really miss the Laridian Bible app that I used on my PalmOS devices for the last 8-10 years. It doesn't sound like Laridian is planning to port their apps to webOS...
    I submitted the update yesterday again, after it was rejected because of an bug.
    This is great. This app has become my go to study bible. I can't wait to see each update.

Speaking of which, is there a reason why updates are only published on the App Catalog? It seems to me that the turn around time between submitting an app and it finally becoming available for download is very long! Are you able to put your app onto the PreCentral feed? Or post updates in this thread?

If there is a reason why you aren't already doing that, then I guess I will just have to wait.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    will this app ever give access to NIV and other versions that aren't public domain? I'd happily pay for them. I really miss the Laridian Bible app that I used on my PalmOS devices for the last 8-10 years. It doesn't sound like Laridian is planning to port their apps to webOS...
    As far as I know the Simple Bible Team has an exclusive arrangement
    with Laridian and they plan to release such an app.
  16.    #76  
    Speaking of which, is there a reason why updates are only published on the App Catalog? It seems to me that the turn around time between submitting an app and it finally becoming available for download is very long! Are you able to put your app onto the PreCentral feed? Or post updates in this thread?
    The turnaround time is between 2 and 5 days. At the beginning of this year you have to wait some two weeks! The reason why BibleZ is only available in the AppCatalog is on the one hand that this means less effort for me (there is only one place to maintain), on the other hand all downloads are counted at one place.
    The turnaround time is between 2 and 5 days. At the beginning of this year you have to wait some two weeks! The reason why BibleZ is only available in the AppCatalog is on the one hand that this means less effort for me (there is only one place to maintain), on the other hand all downloads are counted at one place.
    Makes sense.

Have you made any headway with the NET bible?

Will the version that is currently waiting for approval from Palm import local modules? And does it fix the memory problem?
  18.    #78  
    Have you made any headway with the NET bible?
    Yes, I send them an email but don't get a response until today.

Will the version that is currently waiting for approval from Palm import local modules? And does it fix the memory problem?
    Yes and No. You can import local modules, but the memory problems are still there. Sorry.
    Anyone can tell me how to download this app? the link at precentral seems broken. and I search via preware, can't find this app.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Anyone can tell me how to download this app? the link at precentral seems broken. and I search via preware, can't find this app.
    You find it in the AppCatalog: BibleZ
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast