Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the thread for the CryptoNotes app.

Description
    CryptoNotes is a password protected notes app. It is the WebOS equivalent to TopSecret for PalmOS or BestJotter for S60. It's a great place to store free-form passwords or user info. Unlike other password managers, there are no predefined fields, so you store your info the way you want to. The type-to-search feature looks through everything, not just tags or subjects.

You can backup your data by e-mail, either in encrypted or clear text format.

If you want to do manual backups, the main database is stored in the /media partition (USB drive).

Import File Format
    Code:
    ;Note1 Line 1%Note1 Line 2
    ;Note2 Line 1%Note2 Line 2%Note2 Line 3%And so on...
    ;Note3 Line 1%Note3 Line 2%
    ;Note4 Line 1 followed by an empty line%%
    Each note is on a single line, and "%" signs are replaced by new lines in the notes as they are imported. Tags can't be imported at this time.

Restore from Encrypted Backup
    - On your PC, open Notepad (or any other text editor)
    - Copy the content of your encrypted e-mail to the empty Notepad document (There should be no spaces of blank lines before or after the data)
    - Save the file to something you'll remember
    - Copy the file to your Palm Pre in USB mode
    - Open CryptoNotes (v1.4.3+), enter your password and select "Import from Encrypted File..."
    - Select the file that you created earlier and tap "Yes" to confirm the import
    - The data should be imported automatically

Known issues
    - None

Change Log
    Current Version: 1.4.3

New/Fixed in 1.4.3 (2010-07-15):
    - Added option to import encrypted backups
    - Fixed import function adding extra blank lines
    - Fixed import function duplicating single quotes

New/Fixed in 0.3.1 (2010-02-07):
    - Added options to backup by e-mail.

Fixed in 0.2.1 (2009-12-07):
    - Apostrophes (single quotes) are not supported in notes and tags.

Download
    The app is available in the App Catalog as well as directly from the Palm repository at http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...ts.cryptonotes

The app will stay free for the homebrew community, but costs around 1.35$ for downloads from the App Catalog or from the Palm repository. There is no difference between the homebrew version and the Palm repository version.

Bugs, Requests, etc.
    We have a help desk system at http://www.hbconcepts.net/helpdesk

Promo Codes
    The first 10 people to use promo code 3041f0b5-68c4-40d3-a934-5a022d942ffb will get a free copy of CryptoNotes http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...4-5a022d942ffb. This is valid from 2011-06-28 to 2011-08-26 inclusively.
    Last edited by hboisvert; 06/27/2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Promo Codes
    Oooo... Cryptic.
  3.    #3  
    Just finished submitting the app. Here is the description:

CryptoNotes is a password protected notes app. It is the WebOS equivalent to TopSecret for PalmOS or BestJotter for S60. It's a great place to store free-form passwords or user info. Unlike other password managers, there are no predefined fields, so you store your info the way you want to. The type-to-search feature looks through everything, not just tags or subjects.

This version will not protect you from motivated hackers since the notes are not encrypted, but it should offer adequate protection from someone sneaking a peek if your WebOS device is lost and found before you can do a remote wipe. Eventually, the notes will be stored encrypted, but that's in a future version.

The database is stored in the /media partition (USB drive) which makes it fairly easy to backup. You can import initial data from a CSV file.

Note that this my first WebOS app and it is beta software, so there are no guarantees as to the integrity of the data. However, I designed this for my own use, and have been using it for a few months, so it is fairly stable.
    Last edited by hboisvert; 12/04/2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Formatting...
    Just downloaded it; looks pretty good.

One function that would be a great help (if it's possible) is if you could have a link in the note, so when you tap on it, it would open a new card and go to the particular log-in.

Thanks!
    This wouldn't happen to allow you to protect photos would it?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  6.    #6  
    No, it only does plain text for now. The idea was to keep things simple.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Nice App. I've noticed that apostrophes break the note, and I get a syntax error upon saving.

Also, what is the name of the database file it places in /media?
    (I can't find it)
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for pointing this out. I'll add this to the next release.

Regarding the database location, it is in a hidden directory that you can see if you 'show hidden folders' in your windows explorer (if you are not on windows, I can't help). You will then see a folder called com.hbconcepts.cryptonotes, and in that, you'll have a file ending in .db (the name varies per device, so I can't be more specific).
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I never knew the '.app-storage' folder existed. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post
    Eventually, the notes will be stored encrypted, but that's in a future version.
    I would pay for an app like that. An encrypted folder where you can dump anything, text files, memos, pictures, etc.

I don't really care for the apps that have the pre-filled "form" type files. I'd like to enter my own data in my own way and have it in an encrypted folder.
  11.    #11  
    Just released v0.2.1 which fixes the single quote issue, and also enables search for "%" and "_".
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    2 questions:

Could you just use the Mojo.model.encrypt() call to use the master password to encrypt the notes? Or is there another reason why it is stored unencrypted at the moment?

What is the .csv import format?

Other than that: I like the free form format.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    What is the .csv import format?
    Here is an example of an import file:
    Code:
    ;Note1 Line 1%Note1 Line 2
    ;Note2 Line 1%Note2 Line 2%Note2 Line 3%And so on...
    ;Note3 Line 1%Note3 Line 2%
    ;Note4 Line 1 followed by an empty line%%
    As you can see, each note is on a single line, and "%" signs are replaced by new lines in the notes as they are imported. Tags can't be imported at this time.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    Could you just use the Mojo.model.encrypt() call to use the master password to encrypt the notes? Or is there another reason why it is stored unencrypted at the moment?
    You're right, basically, that's how it would have to be implemented. However, the search would take a performance hit. Right now, the search is implemented using a sql LIKE command, which makes it quite fast. For my own use, I'd rather have speed than bullet-proof encryption, which is why I choose to go the unencrypted route to begin with. I figured that the chance of losing my device, having someone find it, who knows where the data is (hidden folder), how to access it, and actually wanting to access it, is fairly remote (in my case).

I'm thinking that I'll give the user the option to use encryption or not, depending on how they use the software and what their need is.

Thanks for your input!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I would pay for an app like that. An encrypted folder where you can dump anything, text files, memos, pictures, etc.

I don't really care for the apps that have the pre-filled "form" type files. I'd like to enter my own data in my own way and have it in an encrypted folder.
    I'm like you - I have used Linkesoft's Secret! in the past on my Treo 700P for keeping password lists for work and other information. I definitely prefer the "encrypted memopad" paradigm.

Now that I've switched to a Pre, I'm using Keyring since I can essentially do what I am accustomed to using the "notes" part of an entry. And helpfully, the developer has stated that in the next release, I'll be able to hide empty fields in an entry.

Just fyi.
  16.    #16  
    The app is also available directly from the Palm repository at CryptoNotes

We also have a help desk system at HBConcepts

The app will stay free for the homebrew community, but I charge 1.35$ for downloads by the Palm repository. There is no difference between the homebrew version and the Palm repository version.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Great app. I have replaced splashid Classic with it. It is the only one I know that allows searching on all the fields. An ability I cannot do without. I would also like to request an encrypted database.
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post

This version will not protect you from motivated hackers since the notes are not encrypted, but it should offer adequate protection from someone sneaking a peek if your WebOS device is lost and found before you can do a remote wipe. Eventually, the notes will be stored encrypted, but that's in a future version.
    Kind of a bad name for your application, if it's not encrypting the data you are trying to protect.

Can't wait for easier access to linux functionality through the PDK. GPG should be straightforward then, I'd hope.
  19.    #19  
    Encryption is already fairly straightforward, but the search would take a performance hit once I enable encryption. I'm trying to find a way to have encryption without slowing down the speed. Regarding the name, I agree that it's not the most appropriate for now, but it will be once I add encryption.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    This is a great app! I use it to keep track of books. I especially like the usage of Tags.

If I had a wishlist for this app, I would have two things on it:

1. to sort by tag...currently the search appears to pull from both the body of the note and the tag. Not a HUGE deal, but something to consider, I guess.

2. to have multiple db instances. For instance, it would be great to be able to have a different db for different types of notes.

NOTE - neither of these are dealbreakers for me - I really like this app!!!!

I'm very happy that the app is available free as well, since I live in Canada and don't have access to the paid app catalog. Hopefully a free version will remain.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast