Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    JSTop is an application for monitoring WebOS application memory and cpu usage.
    It is listed in Preware, and is licensed using the BSD license.
    Official Wiki
    Git Repo
    Leave questions, comments, and suggestions below.
    I'm also available in the #webos-internals channel on freenode as azakus.
    safford likes this.
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    cool!
    ok so how do i read this lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ok so how do i read this lol
    I would like to know this also. The section that shows ammount of memory being used (right below "Javascript Resource Monitor") shows about 1/4 of the memory being used when I run into a "Too Many Cards" error. Does this section show memory available to applications or is it something else?

Besides wondering exactly how it works, it looks promising. I always like to know how resources are being allocated.
    Sort by process ID please!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by azakus View Post
    Official Wiki
    Git Repo
    Thanks for this a bunch for this. CPU usage would be nice nvm, I just read the wiki. A refresh command at the bottom would be nice.
    Last edited by fain; 12/03/2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Thanks for the hard work. I really don't have that much knowledge re this kind of stuff (& not a lot of time to learn). Could you provide a beginners explanation of how to use this app. E.g. How to interpret the info and when would you recommend (& not) "Killing" an app?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    Thanks for the hard work. I really don't have that much knowledge re this kind of stuff (& not a lot of time to learn). Could you provide a beginners explanation of how to use this app. E.g. How to interpret the info and when would you recommend (& not) "Killing" an app?

Thanks!
    check out the wiki...
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    check out the wiki...
    If the following is the info you are referring to:

"JsTop is a Javascript Resource Aplication Monitor for WebOS. It monitors running webOS applications' memory usage, service usage, and total memory usage of the phone. Applications may be killed by tapping on them and pressing the "Kill It!" option of the popup box.
    Nodes refers to the number of DOM nodes an application has, roughly equal to it's memory usage on the phone.
    Open Service Handles are the number of services the application is waiting on to return. This number can be equated to a rough estimate of CPU usage (though they often total > 100).
    Applications with orange names are system applications like the phone, calendar, system ui, etc. Kill these at your own risk. (Phone for example takes > 1 minute to relaunch the phone app after killed)."

I did read it, but didn't understand it enough to feel safe using this app w/out further explanation. I definitely won't be killing any of the system/orange apps. I get that. But what if say, package manager appeared on the list even though Preware was closed. Should I "Kill it"? Would that be safe? Are there any non-system apps I should never kill? Is the reading so low that I should just ignore it sometimes? Also, I was curious as to why some of the system apps continue to use resources even though they are closed? e.g. Camera, messaging. (I just would like more info if it is available). Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    If the following is the info you are referring to:

"JsTop is a Javascript Resource Aplication Monitor for WebOS. It monitors running webOS applications' memory usage, service usage, and total memory usage of the phone. Applications may be killed by tapping on them and pressing the "Kill It!" option of the popup box.
    Nodes refers to the number of DOM nodes an application has, roughly equal to it's memory usage on the phone.
    Open Service Handles are the number of services the application is waiting on to return. This number can be equated to a rough estimate of CPU usage (though they often total > 100).
    Applications with orange names are system applications like the phone, calendar, system ui, etc. Kill these at your own risk. (Phone for example takes > 1 minute to relaunch the phone app after killed)."

I did read it, but didn't understand it enough to feel safe using this app w/out further explanation. I definitely won't be killing any of the system/orange apps. I get that. But what if say, package manager appeared on the list even though Preware was closed. Should I "Kill it"? Would that be safe? Are there any non-system apps I should never kill? Is the reading so low that I should just ignore it sometimes? Also, I was curious as to why some of the system apps continue to use resources even though they are closed? e.g. Camera, messaging. (I just would like more info if it is available). Thanks.
    Ya, i was kinda wondering why the camera app is running when I'm not using it. The rest I understand running except maybe the contacts app. Why are there two instances of some apps too? One time after a call the phone app had over 1000 nodes. I tried to kill it but it didn't seem to do anything. I rebooted and it went back down to 70 or so.
    I would also like to know what "Garbage Collect JavaScript Heap" means/does. Being bold (or crazy? ), I tapped on it, and my bar dropped from 21.5MB to 16.5MB, but what exactly is it doing? When/why should we use it?

All in all, I really appreciate this tool - you've done a very nice job with the UI, and I'm using it to report my findings to another developer who, I believe, has all kinds of memory leakage in his program. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Garbage collection refers to the process of cleaning up memory that was allocated for applications but is no longer being used. This cleaning up is not done on the fly because it can cause a brief performance hit. You don't want to be in the middle of watching a video or relying on the next turn announcement on your GPS and have garbage collection kick in, causing these apps to hiccup. So garbage collection happens periodically based on whatever algorithm is being used to trigger it (e.g., when CPU utilization and/or memory falls below a certain point). This button probably just forces the garbage collection right then and there, freeing up memory to allow you to launch another app that was perhaps not able to before.

The catch-22 is that if you don't already have JsTop open to perform the garbage collection when you get the 'too many cards open' error, you won't have enough memory to open it! :-)
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post

The catch-22 is that if you don't already have JsTop open to perform the garbage collection when you get the 'too many cards open' error, you won't have enough memory to open it! :-)
    ...Which means this app totally needs to have a little notification menu you can keep open, and be able to do garbage collect and have the Memory usage info right there
    I just discovered this app--totally great! I was just saying the other day that I really needed something like this to see what the heck is going on in the background.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by azakus View Post
    Official Wiki
    Git Repo
    Nice! I was about to watch some processes on the phone to see which one was responsible for sucking my CPU. This saves me having to connect to the computer (or use the terminal app) to do so. Thanks! Now if only we could have little activity meters in the top bar (cpu, disk), that would be nifty.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    Garbage collection refers to the process of cleaning up memory that was allocated for applications but is no longer being used. This cleaning up is not done on the fly because it can cause a brief performance hit. You don't want to be in the middle of watching a video or relying on the next turn announcement on your GPS and have garbage collection kick in, causing these apps to hiccup. So garbage collection happens periodically based on whatever algorithm is being used to trigger it (e.g., when CPU utilization and/or memory falls below a certain point). This button probably just forces the garbage collection right then and there, freeing up memory to allow you to launch another app that was perhaps not able to before.

what about a app solely dedicated to the garbage collection. Say I just open the launcher and tap it and it throws out the trash. I think I have read somewhere there is a garbage patch.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    This app's great.. but where's the rest of the memory going?

My LunaSysMgr is typically taking ~100mb's.. this accounts for ~30mb's of it.. Do we have any way to have visibility into the rest?

-mark
    Suddenly today JsTop has stopped working. It only shows one process, 9999, and the bar graph is empty. I tried deleting, reinstalling, and resetting, all to no avail.
    Any ideas on why I can't find this in Preware? I have never installed it before, yet I can't find it, not even in the "List of Everything".
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Any ideas on why I can't find this in Preware? I have never installed it before, yet I can't find it, not even in the "List of Everything".
    i see it on Preware when i type "jsjsjs&$quot$; $under$ &$quot$;$list$ $of$ $everything$&$quot$;.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast