Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    coming soon to the homebrew world.

VLC Remote Free lets you control the basic functions of VLC from your Pre.

It also demos the ability to browse the computer and to manage your playlist.

More details here:
    VLC Remote on your PRe

Enjoy!

Changelog:

-Improvement to power usage by reducing wifi usage
    -Keeps wifi awake for 2.5 minutes when the screen locks (so you don't have to keep re-starting the wifi connection)
    -Fixed news notification icon
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 12/02/2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Looking forward to this! I use VLC Remote on my iPod Touch and find it really handy, but would love a WebOS version as my phone's always nearby.

What are the differences between the free and paid versions going to be for WebOS?

Also, I'm just curious; is there any reason why the iPhone version of VLC Remote is $2.99 whilst the WebOS version is $4.95? EDIT: Never mind, found the answer in one of your other threads.
    What I'm curious about is why you would pay *any* money when VLC has its own web interface?

Documentation:Modules/http intf - VideoLAN Wiki
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I have a couple questions:

Since this uses WiFi, do I need a wireless card on my computer, or would being connected to a wireless router work.

Does this work with the Linux version of VLC?

Thanks.
  5.    #5  
    ok - answering these in order:

1) difference between free and paid: paid lets you browse your computer and play/enqueue files. Free gives you basic controls (play/pause/etc)

2) price difference: I'm just trying to make it worth my while to develop on web os rather than iPhone. The sad fact is that there are way way fewer users and sales on web os. Frankly it isn't a good business decision for me to devote any time to web os - but I really like the Pre and hope things will improve.

3) why pay when you could use the web interface? VLC Remote actually uses the web interface itself - but it presents the info in a much more useable format. It is possible to control VLC from the browser, but it is pretty painful. Compare it to this:
    VLC Remote on your PRe

4) do you need a wireless card on your computer. No, you just need your computer and your pre to be connected to the same network. So, your pre connects by wifi to the wifi router, your computer connects by a cable. That's fine.
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I bought for the app fairly soon after it came out and there haven't been any major changes yet. I like how smooth it runs with all the basic features but browsing my files is a little laggy. I also think that the next playlist item and 1 minute fastforward buttons are too close together. I often skip to the next video accidently when trying to fastforward or rewind a little.
    Could the buttons be bigger and set up more like a remote. Maybe take up half or the whole screen instead just the little area. It would also be nice to be able to adjust the quick skip button time interval or have multiple ones.
    This is a great app but I think it could be an amazing app that Everyone would want.
  7.    #7  
    zebrazed: glad you like the app. Palm have been _Really_ slow in processing updates (I uploaded the last one a month ago). However recent emails make me think they may be about to sort that.

The upcoming version should be a bit smoother, and also enables landscape mode which gives you more room to get the buttons.
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Hey there.

I followed these instructions, and don't see any "found computers" on the VLC remotes page.

Hobbyist Software : VLC Setup

Things I did:

Enabled HTTP remote control interface
    Removed # signs before all listings under private addresses in /usr/share/vlc/http/.hosts
    Ensured I'm connected via WiFi to the same router my computer is connected to
    Using VLC 1.03

Any other suggestions?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    Hey there.

I followed these instructions, and don't see any "found computers" on the VLC remotes page.

Hobbyist Software : VLC Setup

Things I did:

Enabled HTTP remote control interface
    Removed # signs before all listings under private addresses in /usr/share/vlc/http/.hosts
    Ensured I'm connected via WiFi to the same router my computer is connected to
    Using VLC 1.03

Any other suggestions?
    yup - those linux instructions were written for the iPhone. I'm afraid the Pre can't scan bonjour to give you 'found computers'

If you click on the 'manual pairing' you can then enter the IP address of your computer.

I have updated the page to cover this.
    Hobbyist Software
    Hey man,
    I DL'd the free version today after seeing it listed on PS's frontpage as I've been looking for a way to control my system that's connected to my TV in another room. I really appreciate the free version because the $5 app price is, in comparison to everything else in the catalog, steep. Due to my being able to play with it first, I just now went ahead and bought the full version through the app catalog and it's looking good.

I know you're thinking that developing for WebOS isn't a moneymaker, but perhaps you might want to look at your pricing-- I saw this app when it first came out and didn't think for a second about buying it because of the price. I'm well aware that you and probably all of the WebOS developers put a TON of work into your projects, which warrants reimbursement on our, the end users, part. However, and despite how screwed the situation is for you guys, the reality of the app-based device landscape is that the end users have become accustomed to $1-$2 apps. No doubt the idea of how many hours you've worked on this and all your other apps makes you cringe when you see that price range, but looking at your offerings for iPhoneOS, you obviously know the gig. This is also keeping in mind that the program that you're linking to with this app has always been free.

I'm in sales and what I've come to learn over time is that I'd rather have 1 dime than no quarters. While it doesn't apply to all situations, the High-Volume/Lowered-Price structure usually leads to higher sales, and with it, higher profit. A couple years ago I bought Phone Technician from you as I was totally fed up with the lack of alerting options for my Treos, but I was completely turned off by the price. I was impressed by (I think it was) both Butler and Mother, but buying those were just completely out of the question because of the steep buy-in. These were not mission-critical apps and as such my expectations on what I'd be willing to pay was lowered accordingly. And I bet I'm not the only one. Derek wrote an enlightening article on app catalog pricing a week or so ago, and I can't help but wonder if this applies to Hobbyist.

Point is this-- you make great stuff, and you have for a while. But the price tags on your goods have made me hesitate, well, actually decide not to buy, multiple times, and I doubt I'm the only one. I'm not writing this to be a ****, or demand that your pricing structure change, but I'm hoping to give you some customer feedback and my perspective as I like your work and would like for you to continue succeeding. Thanks for what you do and good luck!
    I just tried it and it *DOES* work under Linux (if you edit /usr/share/vlc/http/.hosts)

Why does the description say:

"Compatible with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5+."

instead of

"Compatible with Linux, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5+."

on your website and on the homebrew-apps site?

Although when I launch/use your app, it causes VLC to become runaway and gobble all the CPU until I power off the pre or close the app. Looks like I hit some bugs.
    Last edited by crxssi; 12/01/2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: works- mostly
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    What port is the remote app attempting to connect to VLC on?
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    I just tried it and it *DOES* work under Linux (if you edit /usr/share/vlc/http/.hosts)

instead of

"Compatible with Linux, Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5+."

on your website and on the homebrew-apps site?

Although when I launch/use your app, it causes VLC to become runaway and gobble all the CPU until I power off the pre or close the app. Looks like I hit some bugs.
    Good to hear. Did your machine show up in the "found computers" list?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

<...>

I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is. It works fine on linux and mac os 10.4 - but the setup is more complicated for those. I think I'll update in preware for now, and leave the app catalog description as it is.

No idea about the runaway cpu usage. I use ubuntu for my media centre, and have been using VLC remote without noticing any problems.

I have one idea - it might be that the polling for updates is running away. That's something I have been meaning to look at...
    Hobbyist Software
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by smrtdrmmr View Post
    What port is the remote app attempting to connect to VLC on?
    8080 that's VLC's default.

I will change things so you can use other ports in the future.
    Hobbyist Software
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the thoughtful post. I'm glad that you liked the freebie enough to buy the paid version. That's obviously my motivation here, and I have submitted the free versions to the store as well so that people can try before they buy.

Regarding the pricing - I'm really hoping that WebOS _will_ be a reasonable money maker. I like the device, I hope it gets more popular and I'd like to spend a good chunk of my time coding for it.

I think Palm are working hard to improve the device. They talk about it being as powerful as the 3gs - so it will be cool to see what happens when they get the GPU going.

I really don't know what the right price will be. As you say, it's better to have one dimes than no quarters. However if sales don't reach a certain threshold then it isn't going to make sense for me to do more than the occasional hobby app for the Pre. Will I make more with fewer sales at $5 than I would with more sales at $2 - I don't know.

I know that I make more on the iPhone with fewer sales at $3 than I do with more sales at $1.

My hope is that Pre users will accept slightly higher prices - and make the Pre a credible platform for developers to earn a living.

Remember that we are still talking about reasonably low prices (few popular Palm Garnet apps were priced at less than $15).

Would you buy me a coffee and a cookie from Starbucks to thank me for my work? (I don't know the answer to that question - it may well be a resounding no!)

One thing is for sure; The number of Pre owners is unlikely to come close to the number of iPhone owners. And even on the iPhone more and more of the top apps are selling for $5.

What that means for developers and pricing isn't clear. You might be right that apps only sell at $1-2. I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    Hey man,
    I DL'd the free version today after seeing it listed on PS's frontpage as I've been looking for a way to control my system that's connected to my TV in another room. I really appreciate the free version because the $5 app price is, in comparison to everything else in the catalog, steep. Due to my being able to play with it first, I just now went ahead and bought the full version through the app catalog and it's looking good.

I know you're thinking that developing for WebOS isn't a moneymaker, but perhaps you might want to look at your pricing-- I saw this app when it first came out and didn't think for a second about buying it because of the price. I'm well aware that you and probably all of the WebOS developers put a TON of work into your projects, which warrants reimbursement on our, the end users, part. However, and despite how screwed the situation is for you guys, the reality of the app-based device landscape is that the end users have become accustomed to $1-$2 apps. No doubt the idea of how many hours you've worked on this and all your other apps makes you cringe when you see that price range, but looking at your offerings for iPhoneOS, you obviously know the gig. This is also keeping in mind that the program that you're linking to with this app has always been free.

I'm in sales and what I've come to learn over time is that I'd rather have 1 dime than no quarters. While it doesn't apply to all situations, the High-Volume/Lowered-Price structure usually leads to higher sales, and with it, higher profit. A couple years ago I bought Phone Technician from you as I was totally fed up with the lack of alerting options for my Treos, but I was completely turned off by the price. I was impressed by (I think it was) both Butler and Mother, but buying those were just completely out of the question because of the steep buy-in. These were not mission-critical apps and as such my expectations on what I'd be willing to pay was lowered accordingly. And I bet I'm not the only one. Derek wrote an enlightening article on app catalog pricing a week or so ago, and I can't help but wonder if this applies to Hobbyist.

Point is this-- you make great stuff, and you have for a while. But the price tags on your goods have made me hesitate, well, actually decide not to buy, multiple times, and I doubt I'm the only one. I'm not writing this to be rude, or demand that your pricing structure change, but I'm hoping to give you some customer feedback and my perspective as I like your work and would like for you to continue succeeding. Thanks for what you do and good luck!
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 12/10/2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by confusedvorlon View Post
    No idea about the runaway cpu usage. I use ubuntu for my media centre, and have been using VLC remote without noticing any problems.

I have one idea - it might be that the polling for updates is running away. That's something I have been meaning to look at...
    Yes- that is EXACTLY what it looks like. Seems to be a bigger problem with a long playlist of music but works when playing a single video. I played with it more and it acts like it is being absolutely flooded with events. This is under Mandriva 2010.0 with VLC 1.0.2 (plf).
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
  18.    #18  
    0.1.7 uploaded. Should dramatically reduce the requests sent to the server. Amongst other things, it halves the playlist update requests (I fixed a duplication bug)

also keeps wifi turned on for a bit when you turn the screen off. I was getting annoyed that every brief screen off meant wifi had to be reconnected. Obviously this comes with some power cost. Let me know what you think.

also - if you like the app please leave a review at precentral!
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I have the VLC helper installed and running properly and can get the 'pairing request sent to server' to connect but I cannot get my device (Pre) to connect. (auto or manual)

I turned off my firewall/security and still nothing. I'm guessing it's the router blocking me out and I have no idea exactly what to try and tweak in those settings to give me access. (having same issue with iTunes remote app too)

I'm using a Linksys router and Windows XP.

Any step by step assistance would be appreciated.
    Well thanks for the thoughtful response on your end too, and you've definitely let me see a different view. Hopefully, then, I got you a cookie. But I prefer their low fat cinnamon coffee cake waaaaayyyy more.

Here's one idea I had while watching Juli&Julia tonight (great movie BTW): Is there a way to show what time point the scrubber is at while you're moving it? As it is now, you can move the scrubber while playing, but you don't know where you're at in the media until you lift your finger, which is awkward if you're in a 1.5 hour long movie and trying to come within a minute or two of where you intend. I don't know how you would code that (data point in the scrubber line as a percentage of the media length as a whole?) but it sure would make a nice interface feature.

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast