Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    Well thanks for the thoughtful response on your end too, and you've definitely let me see a different view. Hopefully, then, I got you a cookie. But I prefer their low fat cinnamon coffee cake waaaaayyyy more.

Here's one idea I had while watching Juli&Julia tonight (great movie BTW): Is there a way to show what time point the scrubber is at while you're moving it? As it is now, you can move the scrubber while playing, but you don't know where you're at in the media until you lift your finger, which is awkward if you're in a 1.5 hour long movie and trying to come within a minute or two of where you intend. I don't know how you would code that (data point in the scrubber line as a percentage of the media length as a whole?) but it sure would make a nice interface feature.

Thanks again!
    yup - the slider really isn't that great for moving in a movie. I have just finished a new type of control on the iPhone for the same issue. I will try to implement it on the Pre too.

Shifting to landscape mode helps a bit as you get more room (but you'll have to wait for the next update in the store for that to work!)
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I have the VLC helper installed and running properly and can get the 'pairing request sent to server' to connect but I cannot get my device (Pre) to connect. (auto or manual)

I turned off my firewall/security and still nothing. I'm guessing it's the router blocking me out and I have no idea exactly what to try and tweak in those settings to give me access. (having same issue with iTunes remote app too)

I'm using a Linksys router and Windows XP.

Any step by step assistance would be appreciated.
    yup - routers can be a pain. With VLC, the pre is looking for an http connection on port 8080 to your computer.

Generally if you log into your router, then there will be a tab with firewall settings. I'd note down the settings, then turn them all off and try to connect. If that works, you can turn the settings back on and tweak them with more finesse!
    Hobbyist Software
    Great work with the app. Please implement the ability to specify a port to connect to in the client when you get a chance. Thanks.
  4.    #24  
    Hi folks - just a warning. My server is struggling under some crazy load at the moment, so the pairing server isn't working. This means you'll have to pair with your VLC manually.

I'm working to sort it out....
    Hobbyist Software
    I noticed that during the manual configuration you can only enter an IP (ex. 192.168.x.x) rather than IP: port. This caused a minor headache because I usually run the VLC httpd on a non-default port. I see that your app only searches on 8080 for the httpd. Perhaps consider allowing the manual install to choose a port as well as IP?

I also noticed above you are planning on eliminating the manual configuration option entirely in future releases. Please don't. It's absolutely the difference as to whether I purchase the full version (which I will do as soon as I have your assurances manual config will remain an option down the line). It's nothing against your Setup Helper, I just prefer not to install extraneous software for something I can do myself. And if the Setup Helper is free as it is, there's no point in forcing it. Why alienate Linux users?

Anyway, you did a fine job with this. When compared to the default VLC http interface...lol...There's no comparison!
  6.    #26  
    glad you like it.

not sure where you got the idea about eliminating the manual configuration option. I definitely have no plans to do that.

(and I'll be adding the ability to specify port shortly)
    Hobbyist Software
    confusedvorlon:

I don't know where i saw that i may have just made it up in my head.... bout to buy it now 8)
    Hi confused! i bought the app off of the catalog, i tried the free and liked it alot bravo! however with the paid there is a huge memory problem I don't know what is causing it, i load it up, and connect manually, and vlc is playin a movie, so the movie will pop up and the playlist will show the queue however within 5-10 seconds the whole phone starts freezing up, and eventually will lead to the phone alerting me of too many cards open, which restarts the pre, haha happened 3/3 times i have tried to use it. Was there an update put up, i'm using media remote however problem is that they don't have ff or rw or show the playlist. Good job overall however I would like to use the app for more than 10 secs
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Does this work with pixi??
  10.    #30  
    humvman: I'm afraid we are all waiting for Palm to approve the update that should sort this. They have the current version in the queue since the 3rd of December.

very frustrating I know.
    Hobbyist Software
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre3000 View Post
    Does this work with pixi??
    the official answer is No. The remote works over wifi and the pixi doesn't have wifi.

the real answer is that it could kinda work. However that would require

1) open up VLC so that it can be controlled from any IP address
    2) open your router to allow your pixi to connect through to your computer from the internet

this is tricky, probably a bad idea, and would give you laggy controls at best.

the other possibility is if you can create a network over bluetooth. I don't know whether that is possible - though presumably the hardware is technically capable of it.

of course when the wifi-enabled pixi comes out, the app will work with that pixi...
    Hobbyist Software
    awesome! is there a way to get the updated one through homebrew? if not it's fine haha i just wanted to see if i was the only one thanks for the app again brilliant man! Merry Christmas to all!!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by humvman View Post
    awesome! is there a way to get the updated one through homebrew? if not it's fine haha i just wanted to see if i was the only one thanks for the app again brilliant man! Merry Christmas to all!!
    sorry - gotta wait for palm.

I really have no idea why they are being so insanely slow. I guess you could post on their site and try to hurry them along...
    Hobbyist Software
    I'm really having a hard time getting the VLC remote to work! I disabled all of my firewalls and still can't get it to connect. Any ideas?
  15.    #35  
    firewalls are usually the problem (though you say you have disabled yours)

1) Turn off firewall at your router and your computer to test (if you are concerned about security, then you can disconnect your router from the internet).

-If this fixes the problem, then you can turn the firewalls back on and fiddle with the settings to make sure that VLC Remote can talk to VLC.

2) Make sure both computers are connected to the same local network.

Failing that, detailed troubleshooting is here:

VLCRemote troubleshooting - Hobbyist Software

If this doesn't help, then please let me know

A - which steps in the troubleshooting work

B - which don't

and I should be able to help more.
    Hobbyist Software
    got it, works great. i'm happy
    tl;dr version, I can't ping to other computers on the LAN, no firewalls installed, but all connected to one router. I can ping from the LAN to the pre.

----
    Trying to use this app seems to have led me down another path. When I use autopairing, I can find the IP address of the host running VLC(192.168.0.102), it even show "Success! Your device has now contacted..." on the VLC server, but all I get on the pre is the swirling circle, no list of computers found.

Some further troubleshooting on my own:
    Router is a WRT110(192.168.0.1). DHCP assigned IP for the palm pre is 192.168.0.103. Using the Terminal Application on the pre, I am only able to ping these two addresses on the LAN, but can hit DNS servers and gateways further up the cable line. I can even pull up the admin page for the router in the browser.

I have other computers on the LAN, same subnet mask, same IP range(192.168.0.100-149). I am able to ping from them to the pre, but not from the pre to them. It's a mix of Windows XP and Linux servers and desktops, some also wireless, others on ethernet on the LAN. I'm lacking other wireless networks to test on, as well as other phones with Wifi. I'd like if someone else can verify that they can ping out on their PRE, just so I know if this is normal, or if I should look to running the OS doctor and checking through the versions.
    ----
  18.    #38  
    it is possible that your computer is not set up to respond to pings, or it is possible that the router or firewall on your computer are blocking the pings.

on my pre, I can definitely ping things (I'm ssh'ing in to the pre, doing sudo -i, then ping google.com ), so I don't think the pre is blocking things. It could be some rule in your router about traffic from the wireless to the wired network, or something like that. I'd google for instructions on how to turn off your router's firewall to test.

follow the steps about trying to get http://<computer address>:8080

I'm assuming that that does work from your computer, but doesn't work from the pre.
    In which case - something is blocking the communication and it is almost certainly a firewall.

just to explain the pairing - the helper is telling you that it sent the ip addresses to the pairing server, and the pre collected them. It doesn't know whether the pre has been able to contact the computer - it just knows that the pre has the right address.
    Hobbyist Software
    Turns out it was usbnet, which I use with MyTether. If I 'ifdown usb0' in the Terminal and then connect to the Wifi LAN, I am able to ping 192.168.0.1xx addresses and also make the VLC Remote work.(Disabling usbnet and rebooting also works)

It's probably because usb0 has an IP of 192.168.0.202.
  20. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    I have the VLC helper installed and running properly and can get the 'pairing request sent to server' to connect but I cannot get my device (Pre) to connect. (auto or manual)

I turned off my firewall/security and still nothing. I'm guessing it's the router blocking me out and I have no idea exactly what to try and tweak in those settings to give me access. (having same issue with iTunes remote app too)

I'm using a Linksys router and Windows XP.

Any step by step assistance would be appreciated.
    Did you ever get this resolved? I'm in the same boat (but using a Netgear router with a Windows 7 computer). I can't get this to work for the life of me. Both the firewalls on my router and PC are off, but the Pre won't connect
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast