Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I'd suggest just getting it from the AppCatalog. There seems to be a problem with the feed from PreCentral at the moment.

I have written to the management to have a look...
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Thanks
    In the german AppCatalog Remote Free is missing.
    Best Regards,

Toem
    --
    www.pug-ned.de - Palm User Group Neuss/Duesseldorf, Germany
    --
    PUGcast - Sync Your Ears - www.pug-ned.de/podcast
    saw the use only wifi in the preferences...what are the plans for this? Anyway to connect with evdo or bluetooth
  5.    #45  
    Hi Toem - I'll try to figure out why the german catalog doesn't list remote free.
    my guess is that it's a leftover from when I uploaded the app before there were so many countries listed in the appstore interface.
    Hobbyist Software
  6.    #46  
    kkumar
    re bluetooth - if you can get bluetooth tethering working, then remote will (probably) just work.
    not sure how much bluetooth info has been published officially though, so not sure how feasable it would be to support directly.

re EVDO - you can certainly use the app over EVDO if you can get your router to allow the connection. Just enter the ip address in the manual pairing page.

It's pretty technical though to get that working, so I haven't listed it as an official supported setup.
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    This looks like a great app--any plans to release a version that works with Media Monkey (or winamp, songbird, foobar, etc) instead of iTunes? I know there's a version for VLC player, but VLC player isn't really a media manager, per se.
    Hi there,

Looks like a great app, but I'm having some problems getting it set up. Auto pairing seems to work, as both the helper and the phone app tell me all is good.... on the phone, I'm given "Pairing succeeded", but status still reads "Not connected to helper"... which, aside from not being able to move forward with the setup, is the only indication that something is wrong...

Any guesses?
  9.    #49  
    that is a really wierd problem.

the pairing means that
    a) your pre contacted the helper
    b) the code was correct and the helper was happy with it

but the "Not connected to helper" means it then couldn't contact the helper to get the current status.

the most common problems are firewall related - so it is worth double checking you have tested with the firewall at your computer -and- your router off.

what does the helper show in the status fields as you connect? Are you seeing the four green ticks?
    Hobbyist Software
    Quote Originally Posted by steez View Post
    Hi there,

Looks like a great app, but I'm having some problems getting it set up. Auto pairing seems to work, as both the helper and the phone app tell me all is good.... on the phone, I'm given "Pairing succeeded", but status still reads "Not connected to helper"... which, aside from not being able to move forward with the setup, is the only indication that something is wrong...

Any guesses?
    I am having the same problem here. My router firewall and windows firewall are both off. I still have not found a way around it.
  11.    #51  
    what do you see on the pairing page in the helper?

(which green ticks do you see?)
    Hobbyist Software
  12.    #52  
    this is another good test

on your computer, in your web browser, go to

http://localhost:8910/t

you should see a page saying 'This is the iTunes remote.'

now check in the iTunes helper (on the pairing/manual connection page) what the ip address is for your computer

let's say it is 192.168.1.1

now try loading

http://192.168.1.1:8910/t

again, you should get the message

now try the same thing from your pre
    you should get the same message.

if you don't - then it shows that your pre is being blocked from talking to the itunes helper.

that is almost always either
    1) the firewall on your pc/mac
    2) the firewall on your router
    (sometimes the firewall on the router is actually labelled as something else like access control. You may have to google for help on your specific router)
    Hobbyist Software
    Hi again, thanks for the reply.

I get all 5 green ticks.
    • Pairing request sent to server (this one seems to sometimes remain an 'X' for some reason)
    • Phone has contacted server
    • Phone has contacted helper
    • Phone has paired with helper
    • Connect to Phone

On the phone, it says "Status: Not connected to helper", while below that, it says "Connection Progress: *Got pairing info from server, *trying to pair to (my PC ip), *Pairing succeeded."

Your suggested tests have worked as described.

The problem persists with local firewall disabled, and I've searched my router setup for anything relating to firewalls... Even forwarded port 8910.

Also, have to enter IP manually now, as the auto configure option on the phone seems to be remembering some different IP now, and fails immediately. I do not see a way to reset it, even with restarting both programs and iTunes.
  14.    #54  
    Ok - all ticks green means that firewalls, etc are not the problem. The phone is talking to the helper.

we're at the point where this really shouldn't be happening; if those ticks all show green then all _should_ be good.

so - I'm scraping the barrel now.

1) have you updated to the latest helper?
    2) are you running the latest remote?
    3) is the helper showing that it is connected to iTunes?
    4) have you tried closing the remote and the helper, then trying again?
    5) are you trying to connect with more than one remote? (the helper can only handle one at a time)

sorry this is taking so long...
    Hobbyist Software
    Oh don't be sorry! Thanks for your help so far. I'm also stumped though.

Both the helper and the remote are current version.
    The helper does show that it is connected to iTunes.
    I have tried many times after shutting down everything and restarting.
    I've only ever tried to connect with one remote.

Perhaps I'm encountering a conflict of some sort with other homebrew...
  16.    #56  
    what do you get with the /t test (post #53 )

also worth checking that the helper is selecting the right iTunes instance (it should show (active) in the advanced page)

-to be honest though, I'm completely stumped.
    Hobbyist Software
    From my PC, both tests return:

<html><head><meta name="viewport" content="width=320" /></head><body><h1>This is the iTunes remote.</h1></body></html></remoteName></pairResponse>

From my phone, "http://192.168.1.1:8910/t" (with my ip) returns the same, while "http://localhost:8910/t" fails, which I assume makes sense.... Is that assumption incorrect?
  18.    #58  
    yup - that's all as it should be.

let's switch this to email.
    If you have a rooted pre, then I'll get you to send me details of the log output that remote is generating

if not, I'll need to build a custom version with more logging capability.

drop me a line at rob - at - hobbyistsoftware.com
    Hobbyist Software
  19.    #59  
    I just uploaded 0.2.0 to the repository at precentral. It is only the free version - but that's fine for debugging connections.

It now has a 'detailed logging' option in the preference page.
    Enable that, try to connect, then view the log.

Hopefully it will shed some light on this very annoying problem...
    Hobbyist Software
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused. iTunes will recognize itunes_helper if I am on the wireless network. However, if i'm plugged directly into the network, the two programs don't communicate. I have no problem connecting the pre & helper.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast