Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3439404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Can't wait to test it!
    News and informations regarding my apps: sven-ziegler.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @svzi

ReadOnTouch - Your Pocket aka ReadItLater client for webOS - PRO, PHONE & FREE
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patty21 View Post
    I've submitted a new app to the app catalog. I'll notify you, when its published.
    I am looking forward to giving it a trial run some weekend when I am out caching. I appreciate the time you have put into the app.
    My Palm History
    ---------------
    V -> Vx -> Treo 90 -> Tungsten E -> Centro -> Pre Plus -> Pre 2
    Waiting to test it too!
    I currently have 5397 Geocache Finds, and it would be cool to find #5400 with a new app!
  4. s_z
    I've submitted a new app to the app catalog. I'll notify you, when its published.
    This is good news!

Thanx again for your work. Without your updates geocaching wouldn't be fun with my Pre.

And now my feature request: There are situations when I would like to search a cache by GC code (not by keyword). Especially when searching for common words, e. g. "Kapelle" (german for chapel) you get a very long hit list.

I don't know how the app is parsing the gc websites, but if you do something like this:

(I may not post URLs ... so please remove the blanks)

$ wget http :// www .geocaching .com /seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1K7PA -O /tmp/cache.html

you're done. I'd love this feature.
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    Feature request??? This was build into Precaching from the begining. Just change your search view (upper right corner) to caches and you have the search by gc code option.
  6. s_z
    Oh, thanks. I've never noticed this drop-down-list, haha.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I cannot login: "Incorrect username or password!"

I am using my geocaching.com username and password.
    Hi, just installed 0.4.12 from preware and I can log in again.

Did patty21 fix it?
    Either way, thank you so much.
    Pre 3, webOS 2.2.4 on O2 Germany, TP 32 GB
    ~Coitans fer Windoze~
    No, this wasn't me, georgo fixed it. It seems, that he is alive.
    On his twitter account "Hekkit" complains about a login error on his palm. Georgo answered, that he knows about this, but he has no time to fix it. He will try to do it at holiday (yesterday was a holiday in CZ).
    Now, there is a new commit on the sourceforge git repository and he posted the update to preware. In the app catalog there is still no update (maybe currently under review).
    He only fixed the login error and the cache code parsing error. Logs, spoilers and logging he didn't fix.

My app is still under review. But I'm affraid, that if the reviewer gets my app and his update, my app perhaps will be rejected (too similar). Lets wait, what comes around....

The app I submitted is nearly the same like the beta 10.15 / 10.16. I had to change the name, the logo and the app id. There is no need to wait or to test and there are no additional features. Take the beta and you will be happy.
    To clearify everything a bit:

What is restricted by groundspeak with the API?
    There are 2 types of request, which are restrected for regular members of gc.com:
    1. If you perform a cache search (like caches around coordinates, found/hidden by username, ...), only traditionals are returned. You can search as often as you want and you get GC-Code,Type, Size, D/T, Name, Owner.
    2. If you need coordinates, description or logs, you need to request the cache detail by GC-Code. The type is not restricted (you may request i.e. multis if you have the gc-code) but you are limited to 3 such requests per day.
    If you are premium-member, (1) returns all types and (2) is raised to 6000 requests per day.

Groundspeak wants a win-win-situation. They can sell premium memberships and I can sell an reliable app. For me, there is no fee to groundspeak, I can release the app for free or sell it for any price I want and keep the money (except fees for the app catalog).

I'm not a premium member @ gc.com, because there is no reason for me. The current app works well for me, I can see all caches in the cachelist and request full cache detail as often I want. GPX-Downloads and Pocket querys are not required on modern devices with direct internet access. There are only a few premium-only caches I can't find, but I don't care about.

Another problem is, that I would get a license key for API access. The app uses this key to log in into the API. If groundspeak suddenly doesnt like the app, they can revoke the key on their servers and the app will become nearly useless.

Lets have a look to android: There is c:geo, which is reading the website. And there are is the official gc app and neongeo, which are using the API. When I'm asking friends, which app they use for geocaching, I hear (nearly) always c:geo.

I made a decision: I will not use the API. I will spend my time in coding new features instead of changing the program to adress the API and advertise premium features for groundspeak. I will release the app for free under a new name in the app catalog. (Can somebody help me to design a new logo? I have some ideas, but I'm a coder and not a gfx designer.)

If somebody wants to use the API and release it as a paid app, feel free to contact me, I will send you the current source.
    Hi Patty21,

I agree with all others: I think it's the best decision to ignore the API with all its limitations (so far for an open interface) and continue to follow your track, which as of today resulted in a very useful application, at least for me it does all I need to Caching.

Thanks
    Ko_Sensei
    Quote Originally Posted by uwer View Post
    Hi, just installed 0.4.12 from preware and I can log in again.
    What's going on? The version 0.4.12 just got posted on precentral an an update of Geocaching- which is fine since this version works for me, but still peculiar if it was first published a long time ago.

Why does it show as an update now?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    And now with the "official" upgrade I can no longer view the previous logs. Arrgghhh.
    My Palm History
    ---------------
    My new app has been published and is now availiable in the official app catalog.
    Just type geocaching, search via app catalog and install "GC-gogo".
    Here you can find the palm developer website and here is the website of the app (not much to see there).
    Works like a charm!
    On my Pre3 it doesn't use the whole screen, though. There is a small black ribbon on the bottom of the screen. Maybe an adjustment to the resolution is needed?
    hm, can't see any logs...there are entries but empty. Anyone an idea how to fix this? I got patty21 last version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    long descriptions - those who need an extra "klick" - aren't displayed. everything else seems to work well with gc-gogo...
    with "official" geocaching there come the informations (and an opening gc-ad in an browser-card)
    is there any chance to change this? i often have to have open both apps - gc-gogo for everything inkl logging - geocaching for seeing the description of the caches with longer descriptions.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    My new app has been published and is now availiable in the official app catalog.
    Just type geocaching, search via app catalog and install "GC-gogo".
    Here you can find the palm developer website and here is the website of the app (not much to see there).
    Seems to work okay for me. I appreciate you going on to do this. I hope that changes to the GC web site are fewer so this app stays relevant. I hope to give it a try Saturday.
    My Palm History
    ---------------
    Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    GC-GoGo is now in the App Catalog. Gratulations.

Allow me some commends:
    - The Splash Screen still says 'Loading Geocaching for webOS'
    - When you link twitter Account it also identifys as Georgo.precaching and tweets that name too
    - What about my German translation? Why not include it?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I just downloaded GC-gogo, and it so much faster than the old Geocaching for webOS app! I love it! Thanks Patty!!!!
    Patty, I just used the new GC-gogo app you posted to find my 5,530th Geocache find. It worked flawlessly.
    One question: I noticed on the Post Log, there wasn't the option for TBs to be dropped or to log them as Visited. Is that planned for a future update?

Thanks!!!!