webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Minimap
Minimap
Like Tree2Likes

Old 11/15/2009, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

A simple map application which uses tile graphics from the OpenStreetMap project and the rendering engine of the OpenLayers project.

Last edited by kayahr; 11/23/2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Don't want to maintain the full description twice. So forum will only have short description.
kayahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like what I see so far.
Would like to see pinch to zoom of course, for general Pre consistency
but would also be cool to see keyboard keys "I" (in) and "O" out
used for zooming in and out, instead of having to rely on
the touch screen. That's a feature the Treo version of Google Maps had
that I miss a lot. Can find those keys without having to look at the screen.

The lock icon is a little confusing as a "return to current position" button.
Took me a long time before I even tried it. Maybe an icon
of the current position pointer instead.

BTW, I think I saw something saying that the Mojo 1.3.1 SDK now
will let you keep the screen on.

ian
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
BTW, I think I saw something saying that the Mojo 1.3.1 SDK now will let you keep the screen on.
If you see it again please give me a link. If they implemented it in 1.3.1 then they haven't documented it yet (Or I simply can't find it).
Old 11/15/2009, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi

Thanks a lot for this app. This is something I really missed from my Openmoko.

Like daemon said, there is a new function in 1.3.1 for keeping the screen on.
Mojo.Controller.StageController.setWindowProperties(props)

Christof
cmusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2009, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmusik View Post
Like daemon said, there is a new function in 1.3.1 for keeping the screen on.
Mojo.Controller.StageController.setWindowProperties(props)
Ah, there it is. Thanks for the hint. Can't test it because 1.3.1 is not yet released here in germany. But I already implemented it, will be included in next version.
Old 11/15/2009, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I like what I see so far.
Would like to see pinch to zoom of course, for general Pre consistency
but would also be cool to see keyboard keys "I" (in) and "O" out
used for zooming in and out, instead of having to rely on
the touch screen. That's a feature the Treo version of Google Maps had
that I miss a lot. Can find those keys without having to look at the screen.
Don't know if I can get the pinch gesture to work (because the map consumes the mouse events). But the keyboard shortcuts are a good idea. I implemented I and O for zoom, L for position lock and WASD for map movement. Will be available in next version.

Quote:
The lock icon is a little confusing as a "return to current position" button. Took me a long time before I even tried it. Maybe an icon of the current position pointer instead.
It's not only "return to current position", it's also a "lock to GPS coordinates". In locked mode the map center will follow your GPS location. That's why I chose a lock as an icon.
Old 11/15/2009, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi,

thanks for this great software. If you could implement route planing and generating instructions it would become a complete navigation software.
Perhaps you could do this by using the open route service, which can generate route instruction using the openstreetmap data in xml format:

OpenLS Route Service with free OSM data

OK enough dreaming :-)
Thanks again for your nice work!
roemmic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 03:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Really nice app! Just tried it out and it is working, but loading maps is very slow, even with 3G. Does this depends on the server?

I'm also wondering, that after allowing once the use of gps, the next time opening the app it doesn't ask again. Is this due to webos?!
TippiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippiX View Post
Really nice app! Just tried it out and it is working, but loading maps is very slow, even with 3G. Does this depends on the server?
The server and the size and number of graphics which must be downloaded. This is out of my hand. My app uses the free OpenLayers library to render the map (Which is also used by OpenStreetMap.org itself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippiX View Post
I'm also wondering, that after allowing once the use of gps, the next time opening the app it doesn't ask again. Is this due to webos?!
Yes. Try the same with Google Maps and you will notice that it happens there, too.
Old 11/16/2009, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roemmic9 View Post
If you could implement route planing and generating instructions it would become a complete navigation software.
Perhaps you could do this by using the open route service, which can generate route instruction using the openstreetmap data in xml format:

OpenLS Route Service with free OSM data
Are there any possibilities to get this working? You should have the same problem as we do not have any Navigation service here in Germany

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 06:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
Are there any possibilities to get this working? You should have the same problem as we do not have any Navigation service here in Germany
Never heard of OpenRouteService before. I have to check if they have a public Ajax API which can be used from the Pre. If this is possible then chances are high that I might be able to implement it because OpenRouteService.org also uses the OpenLayers library for rendering the map. So it may be possible to request and render a route in Minimap, too.
Old 11/16/2009, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Vij

Works quite nicely in the small town in Canada that I happen to be visiting. Thanks!
Vij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi kayahr,

Thanks for your answers.
I tried your app a little bit more. Using wifi makes map loading faster (a little bit). Perhaps I have reached my 200MB limit and now I have only GPRS speed till end of the month.

Sometimes, there is no map. Instead, a rectangle shows "...more OSM coming soon"? Is there no map material for the region?

One suggestion: is it possible, when zooming, to display the bitmap from the old zoom level, resized/resampled, until the new material is downloaded and displayed? This would be nicer than a gray background.

Oh, still one question: do you use cache on the internal memory, and if, how much?
TippiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2009, 05:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

would it be possible to save the map to the device in the future? or download the maps for an area? should ne legal with OSM.
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Fantastic Program - thank you very much.
hertzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Great first effort kayahr, really, very impressive. I can't Open Street Map has been growing by leaps and bonds over the last few years. No speed issues for me. It loads at least as fast as the included navigation software from my service provider (Sprint).

Suggestion - I understand the entire world is metric but Americans are going to want an option for United States customary system units. Miles per hour, accuracy in feet....blah, blah, blah. Metric means nothing to them, unless perhaps, they are enlisted.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 10:56 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Suggestion - I understand the entire world is metric but Americans are going to want an option for United States customary system units. Miles per hour, accuracy in feet....blah, blah, blah. Metric means nothing to them, unless perhaps, they are enlisted.
and the UK
this, downloadable regions (for maps) and route planning would be awesome!

Thanks
arsenalrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hi,

nicely done. I'm doing something similar just now: GPS-Tracker von MetaView? - Entwicklung - Nexave Palmforum

MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 01:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Nice One
I have only one small Question.. ok maybe not that small
Is it possible to you to make this application work offline so that you could download OSM data once and don't need to download them while using? Here in Germany somehow Data traffic is either expensive or very slow..
Holliefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 03:27 PM   #20 (permalink)

The GPS radio in a stock Pre doesn't work offline, so wouldn't do you much
good to offline the data.

ian
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, map, maps, openstreetmap

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0