webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Minimap
Minimap
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01/14/2010, 01:02 AM   #41 (permalink)

Have previously successfully run this program, but today it locked onto my position as 50N 7E when I am actually at 35S 138E. It displayed the map for the incorrect position along with credible accuracy and speed figures.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2010, 01:21 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
Have previously successfully run this program, but today it locked onto my position as 50N 7E when I am actually at 35S 138E. It displayed the map for the incorrect position along with credible accuracy and speed figures.
Maybe you are in free mode? Push the center-to-gps button (The one in the middle of the command menu) and the map should snap back to your real GPS position.

If this is not the problem please check if Google Maps has the same problem. If that's the case then the GPS stuff of webOS has stopped working. I had this problem several times in the past and always needed to reboot the phone to get GPS working again.
kayahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2010, 04:32 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayahr View Post
Maybe you are in free mode? Push the center-to-gps button (The one in the middle of the command menu) and the map should snap back to your real GPS position.

If this is not the problem please check if Google Maps has the same problem. If that's the case then the GPS stuff of webOS has stopped working. I had this problem several times in the past and always needed to reboot the phone to get GPS working again.
Ran Google Maps at the same time and it worked correctly. Center-to-gps did not correct the problem. I have reloaded the program and it is working correctly again.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2010, 07:19 AM   #44 (permalink)

Hi,
it is not possible for me to install this app via the german app catalog. It allways crashes at "installing".
Palm Pre, webOS 1.3.5.2
Whiskyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2010, 08:38 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyfire View Post
Hi,
it is not possible for me to install this app via the german app catalog. It allways crashes at "installing".
Palm Pre, webOS 1.3.5.2
I've experienced this myself once and not only with Minimap and this is really annoying. In my opinion you have to blame Palm for this. Standard webOS apps don't have any installation routines. They are just archives which gets unpacked into a folder and I have no idea what can go wrong in this simple task. This is totally out of my control, sorry.

I never had installation problems when installing Minimap over Preware and I never heard of problems from others. So for me it sounds like a bug in the webOS app catalog installation routine.

Maybe rebooting the phone helps but don't count on it...
kayahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2010, 08:58 AM   #46 (permalink)

OK, thanks. Installing via preware worked fine
Whiskyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2010, 05:17 PM   #47 (permalink)

Great app. So good I hate to suggest something...buut

Enhancement request: Add elevation

Thanks!
KCBCarmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2011, 06:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

This thread has been very quiet lately. I am new to webos and decided to revive it

An offline mode for minimap has been requested several times, and I missed it too. Maptool offers offline maps, but panning never really worked for me, and maptool also does much more than I need and therefore is more complicated than necessary. Are there any other free applications with offline maps that I am not aware off?

Anyway, I did some extremely quick and dirty hacking, and have working offline maps with minimap now. I currently don't plan on doing more work on it, but I might change my mind if there should be a lot of interest. For those who want to try the quick hack, I have attached a patch relative to the latest revision of minimap (I wanted to link it here, but I'm not allowed to). I have also attached an ipk of the patched minimap for faster installation.
To use offline maps, the map tiles have to be downloaded first, jTileDownloader (I wanted to link it here, but I'm not allowed to) is very useful for that. The downloaded tiles should be placed in "/media/internal/.minimap/$z/$x/$y/" ("/media/internal/" is the root directory of the usb drive in usb drive mode). jTileDownloader already creates the "z/x/y" directory structure, just copy that to ".minimap/" or download directly to that directory.
If minimap tries to access a tile that has not been downloaded, it will show "loading" forever (this patch is a very quick, very small hack after all).

Ah, I almost forgot, to choose offline mode, go to preferences and choose "Offline" instead of "Mapnik", "Osmarender", or "Cycle Map" as graphics. The other options work as before the patch.

I hope this offline mode is useful to some of you. Thanks to the developer of minimap for the nice application and for providing the source code!

PS: this forum software really sucks, sorry that you have to find the links yourselves.
Attached Files
File Type: patch offline-maps.patch (3.3 KB, 61 views) Email Attachment
File Type: zip de.ailis.minimap_1.1.0000_all.ipk.zip (761.9 KB, 63 views) Email Attachment
minimapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by fabore, Jakuje, Shura
Old 01/29/2011, 03:44 AM   #49 (permalink)

Question: why don't you use the same folder as MapTool? This would allow people to have both apps installed using the same offline maps.
MetaView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2011, 05:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

I briefly thought about using the same directory as maptool, but then decided that ".minimap/" fits the application better. I thought that someone using both applications could make one a symlink to the other directory. Turns out the filesystem doesn't support symlinks, which I didn't know (I'm new to the pre and webos). So, for a new version, I would use the same directory as maptool.
minimapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/25/2011, 09:38 AM   #51 (permalink)

Would it be possible to make a HD version for Touchpad? There is no other free OSM viewer for webos/touchpad.
radry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/27/2011, 06:50 AM   #52 (permalink)

bump
radry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2012, 04:06 AM   #53 (permalink)

Very cool! I'm going to try offline map!

BTW. Is it possible to add zip support? Would be nice to store all map tiles in one zip file.
Old 10/08/2012, 07:35 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radry View Post
Would it be possible to make a HD version for Touchpad? There is no other free OSM viewer for webos/touchpad.
I just did the "uiRevision": 2 portion of what is described here and it works for me. Give it a try.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 02:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radry View Post
That is not ture. Theh is a free version of Metviews Map Tool: https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ewsoft.maptool

HaPe
hape is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by MikeN68 likes this.
Old 10/18/2012, 07:45 AM   #56 (permalink)

The paid version of Maptool is fantastic value too. Support our devs! :-)
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HaPe likes this.
Thanked By: HaPe
Old 11/04/2012, 02:48 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimapper View Post
Are there any other free applications with offline maps that I am not aware off?
Navit!
Buntbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2013, 05:18 AM   #58 (permalink)

Hi, I'm working on Wherigo Player for webOS and I would like to add maps support. The best would be integration, as it is done in TimeTracker. There should be support for Offline maps (so I don't want to use map engine from Google).
Author's webpage no more contains anything about Minimap, so I would like to ask here what are possibilities and hints.

Alternatively I can use only extern app MapTool as I do now, but it is pretty slow to open new Card and render all app, especially on older devices.

Also I would like to have it working on new devices (Touchpad and theoretically OpenWebOs doesn't have Mojo framework, I think ...).
Jakuje is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, map, maps, openstreetmap

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0